Backlash after WC rape jokes flood Twitter

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
I think the main concern about using words like 'rape' is that it will become the norm. The triviality of using the word maybe get confused with the actual act of raping someone. It will become such a normal part of everyone's vocabulary that they will fail to find the actual act offensive.

Last edited:

The Don

Metrosexual Candy Shagger
Dayman, ahhhahhhahh, fighter of the nightman
That's great and all but you are backtracking wildly now. Let me remind you what you said.

The issue was never whether screwed over and fecked over mean the same thing. The issue was whether screwed over and raped mean the same thing.
Backtracking? Are you some sort of clown? I'm vehemently solidifying my position on the discussion. If to be screwed means to be fecked and they both describe a sexual act and we're correlating it with a bad experience, we're insinuating that said sexual act is unwanted....what does that suggest? You're screwed, you're fecked,you're buggered all common sayings all mean the same thing and all imply an unwanted sexual act....therefore a rape analogy. Game. Set. Match. Run along.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
No stretch at all, that is literally what the phrase means.
It's not what it actually means in vernacular English, though. Whether people find a term upsetting or offensive (or what have you) often comes down to how far removed it is from its original, literal meaning.

The term "raped" as a metaphor for losing badly being a case in point. I think most people would agree that the latter term is (still) fairly charged. "I totally raped his ass last night" has a different ring to it than "I screwed up on my driver's test".

This is, as they say, common sense.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
Backtracking? Are you some sort of clown? I'm vehemently solidifying my position on the discussion. If to be screwed means to be fecked and they both describe a sexual act and we're correlating it with a bad experience, we're insinuating that said sexual act is unwanted....what does that suggest? You're screwed, you're fecked,you're buggered all common sayings all mean the same thing and all imply an unwanted sexual act....therefore a rape analogy. Game. Set. Match. Run along.
You are incredibly irritating to discuss with. Can you not manage to string together a few posts without coming off so condescending? It's even more irritating because when people are condescending at least they are usually right. There is just no way that "screwed over means exactly the same thing as raped". I can only assume that you have backed yourself into a corner and don't want to back down, which explains why not only has no one else in this thread backed you up on the supposedly obvious synonyms, you also haven't posted a source to support your claim. In which case, I'm going to log off and do literally anything other than this.

The Don

You are incredibly irritating to discuss with. Can you not manage to string together a few posts without coming off so condescending? It's even more irritating because when people are condescending at least they are usually right. There is just no way that screwed over means exactly the same thing as rape. I can only assume that you have backed yourself into a corner and don't want to back down, which explains why not only has no one else in this thread backed you up on the supposedly obvious synonyms, you also haven't posted a source to support your claim. In which case, I'm going to log off and do literally anything other than this.
Loser always walks away first. Bye bye, clown.

Duafc

Village Lemon
:lol: Great thread though, really enjoyed it.

Is twitter okay after the flood?

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
I think we scared the newbs away :(

Feeky Magee

keen violinist
The Don what are your views on the following:

1) feminism
2) political correctness
3) rape culture

The Don

The Don what are your views on the following:

1) feminism
2) political correctness
3) rape culture
1. All for it. I think certain sections take it too far. For me feminism is about gender equality, not supremacy.
2. Again, is basically a good thing...but is too often abused.
3. There isn't one. Rape always has and always will be seen as a dastardly, cowardly, evil act, by anyone with a semblance of morals. Needs to be much stronger definitions on what constitutes rape though. We've all had the drunken sex is rape argument.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
The comparison to murder is silly. There isn't a widespread longstanding problem in society of people not taking murder seriously enough.

It's about as apt a comparison as making fun of people for their sticky out ears and making fun of people for their black skin.
Spot on.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
It's not what it actually means in vernacular English, though. Whether people find a term upsetting or offensive (or what have you) often comes down to how far removed it is from its original, literal meaning.

The term "raped" as a metaphor for losing badly being a case in point. I think most people would agree that the latter term is (still) fairly charged. "I totally raped his ass last night" has a different ring to it than "I screwed up on my driver's test".

This is, as they say, common sense.
Yep. Can't say I agree with The Don at all on this one. And I love him. This was like watching my football club lose a game.

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
Although I take the line of argument that people should be less sensitive, i've never been raped, abused, assaulted, or any of the like, so its easy for me to say that. On the other hand, I don't think we should popularize connotations like rape being a fun or funny word to describe a big win or loss in sports or any field of competition. Just like fag should not be an insult, nor should gay. I like the word cnut though.

Lothar

I think the main concern about using words like 'rape' is that it will become the norm. The triviality of using the word maybe get confused with the actual act of raping someone. It will become such a normal part of everyone's vocabulary that they will fail to find the actual act offensive.
A concern of which there is no basis. People have been using crude metaphors for thousands of years, and if anything the public opposition towards criminal and violent acts have only become stronger. At the same time the standard of decency in language has become much deteriorated. So either there is no correlation, or the correlation is a good one.

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
A concern of which there is no basis. People have been using crude metaphors for thousands of years, and if anything the public opposition towards criminal and violent acts have only become stronger. At the same time the standard of decency in language has become much deteriorated. So either there is no correlation, or the correlation is a good one.
Maybe people have been using crude metaphors for thousands of years but for thousands of years, raping people was hardly frowned upon in a lot of cultures. The standard of decency isn't really any different its just the age of people using these words because of overexposure on the internet, case in point - this exact situation - the world cup. 9 year old have phones now, and when a 9 year old boy goes on twitter and sees "man Germany totally raped the shit out of Brazil today" they think its awesome and they will continue to use rape in common practice. Thats not right.

bpet15

My lovely bride asks me to screw her and feck her quite often...as far as I know it is a wanted sexual act.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
If someone that eats a chocolate bar a day is losing weight then clearly the chocolate bar contains no calories or it has negative calories.

kiwired

I'm ashamed to say that I made a rape comment today. I was chatting to a female friend in Argentina and we were saying how much we enjoyed this world cup. I said "yeah it has been perfect for both of us , Argentina is in the final and Brazil got raped" She didn't answer me. Just after I saw this thread and now i feel a little bad about it

Arruda

Supports
Porto
Maybe people have been using crude metaphors for thousands of years but for thousands of years, raping people was hardly frowned upon in a lot of cultures. The standard of decency isn't really any different its just the age of people using these words because of overexposure on the internet, case in point - this exact situation - the world cup. 9 year old have phones now, and when a 9 year old boy goes on twitter and sees "man Germany totally raped the shit out of Brazil today" they think its awesome and they will continue to use rape in common practice. Thats not right.
I think he raises a good point. What he means is that there's no basis to believing that those 9 year olds using the word rape in common practice will mean they will be more insensitive to the actual rape subject, or that it will make the word lose it's significance when used in it's original context. It makes perfect sense for me.

I have the impression I hear a lot more jokes about paedophilia these days than I used to hear a couple of decades ago, for example. When I hear one I usually don't appreciate it much and generally find them distasteful. However, I'm pretty sure the person saying it, and society as a whole, are a whole lot more alert to the seriousness of the issue than they were 15 years ago.

Above all, I think it's a simple matter of elegance in speech. I think the practical consequences of the usage of these words are being vastly overrated.

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
I think he raises a good point. What he means is that there's no basis to believing that those 9 year olds using the word rape in common practice will mean they will be more insensitive to the actual rape subject, or that it will make the word lose it's significance when used in it's original context. It makes perfect sense for me.

I have the impression I hear a lot more jokes about paedophilia these days than I used to hear a couple of decades ago, for example. When I hear one I usually don't appreciate it much and generally find them distasteful. However, I'm pretty sure the person saying it, and society as a whole, are a whole lot more alert to the seriousness of the issue than they were 15 years ago.

Above all, I think it's a simple matter of elegance in speech. I think the practical consequences of the usage of these words are being vastly overrated.
That may be so, but i don't think that rape being part of the child's vernacular for humour's sake is right. Rape should be a word thats frowned upon, not chuckled at. The connotations of the word are and should always be bad. Making light of them only makes rape a less serious instance.

Lothar

Not maybe, they have. We have books. Yet our reactions to rape is at an all time high. Curiously murder have become more lenient with the justice system, but paralleling rape when it comes to public opinion.

If parents don't want their kids to be exposed to adult language they should install a filter on the phone. Just like our parents refused to rent us Tobe Hooper films when we were 9. It's a central part of raising a kid. Using the logic from some of the people in this thread we should ban horror films. I mean really, what could be more callous and disturbing than making entertainment out of mass murder and torture? But no, you'd not even be taken seriously if you suggested something like that.

Reactions: Raoul

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
Not maybe, they have. We have books. Yet our reactions to rape is at an all time high. Curiously murder have become more lenient with the justice system, but paralleling rape when it comes to public opinion.

If parents don't want their kids to be exposed to adult language they should install a filter on the phone. Just like our parents refused to rent us Tobe Hooper films when we were 9. It's a central part of raising a kid. Using the logic from some of the people in this thread we should ban horror films. I mean really, what could be more callous and disturbing than making entertainment out of mass murder and torture? But no, you'd not even be taken seriously if you suggested something like that.
Wow you certainly raped my argument :rolleyes:

Arruda

Supports
Porto
That may be so, but i don't think that rape being part of the child's vernacular for humour's sake is right. Rape should be a word thats frowned upon, not chuckled at. The connotations of the word are and should always be bad. Making light of them only makes rape a less serious instance.
I don't like it either, and have no problem with places like internet forums, or child educators setting standards for what kind of words should be seen as appropriate or not. I just disagree with your last affirmation. I don't think the word gaining some sort of double-entendre will make rape a less serious instance. With time it can actually come to have two different meanings and people will always be able to distinguish the issues, much like no one ever confounds when screwed is used in a sexual manner or in a "got one over me" manner.

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
I don't like it either, and have no problem with places like internet forums, or child educators setting standards for what kind of words should be seen as appropriate or not. I just disagree with your last affirmation. I don't think the word gaining some sort of double-entendre will make rape a less serious instance. With time it can actually come to have two different meanings and people will always be able to distinguish the issues, much like no one ever confounds when screwed is used in a sexual manner or in a "got one over me" manner.
The difference there is that neither meaning is offensive, because consensual sex is awesome therefore getting screwed out of a job, for example, is less damning to say.

FlapR

People are offended far too easily now-a-days. It's not like people are trying to offend on purpose, its just development of modern language.

Arruda

Supports
Porto
The difference there is that neither meaning is offensive, because consensual sex is awesome therefore getting screwed out of a job, for example, is less damning to say.
That's redundant, because I agree rape can be an offensive word, have agreed it's inelegant, and would certainly educate my kid not to use it lightly. However, that's where it ends. Our disagreement isn't with the offensiveness of the word, but rather with my conviction that it's a huge leap to go from there to suggesting that it will make rape a trivial subject in our society, or hamper our fight against it. I would need a lot more stronger arguments than the speculation presented throughout this thread to even entertain that idea.