Bad Berba's Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

p_ps_sock

Red Norse has 2 days to sleep it off.
if it has any impact I say give the guy a break, the way I worded it (although I stand by the general gist of what I was saying) was pretty inflammatory and I tried to wind him up.

p_ps_sock

p_ps_sock, you're coming across a bit silly here - you half sound as if you wish he would carry the team and half sound as if you think he's rubbish anyway. I've just given you a list of games where we have dropped points, and he has had one terrible performance in amongst those games and been pretty respectable in the others. His game isn't all about goals - he has a lot more to offer creatively and has shown that in most games this season - just have a look at his third goal to see what kind of stuff he can offer, wonderful in the build up. He clearly looks better with a partner, and Rooney is by far the best person for him to link up with at this moment in time. Hernandez is still adapting his all round game, though he does look sharp in front of goal. He is more of a "main striker" than Berbatov - Berbatov is more of a 10/9.5 than a no.9. And Macheda is a good prospect but looks more of a threat coming off the bench than starting a game. Starting those two ahead of Berbatov would mean we'd lose out in our build up play - as we seem to be looking to play Rooney as a pure no.9. Playing Hernandez/Macheda behind him would be a waste.

If you think that Macheda, Hernandez, and Berbatov are all similar types of strikers then we might as well end this debate now.
where did I say they were similar strikers? my point was he's playing consistently when I think in the long run we'd be better off giving the other strikers a run in the team.

I really don't see this great build up from berbatov most of the time, there was some great stuff yesterday but usually he jogs 5 or 10 yards with the ball allowing the opposition to close him down and get organised in front of him before he lays it off sideways/backwards or loses the ball.

Comparisons with Cantona that I've seen others make are an insult, Cantona consistently stepped up to the plate when we needed him with match winning goals/performances, Berbatov doesn't.

Treble

Some stats about league goals and starts to put things in perspective:

Mark Hughes - 35 goals in 110 starts
Teddy Sheringham - 31 goals in 73 starts
Dimitar Berbatov - 32 goals in 65 starts

I wouldn't mention Cantona's stats as this comparision isn't good for Berba, even though Berbatov's goals to starts ratio is actually better.

Commadus

Some stats about league goals and starts to put things in perspective:

Mark Hughes - 35 goals in 110 starts
Teddy Sheringham - 31 goals in 73 starts
Dimitar Berbatov - 32 goals in 65 starts

I wouldn't mention Cantona's stats as this comparision isn't good for Berba, even though Berbatov's goals to starts ratio is actually better.
Epl goals?

CptMarvel

where did I say they were similar strikers? my point was he's playing consistently when I think in the long run we'd be better off giving the other strikers a run in the team.

I really don't see this great build up from berbatov most of the time, there was some great stuff yesterday but usually he jogs 5 or 10 yards with the ball allowing the opposition to close him down and get organised in front of him before he lays it off sideways/backwards or loses the ball.

Comparisons with Cantona that I've seen others make are an insult, Cantona consistently stepped up to the plate when we needed him with match winning goals/performances, Berbatov doesn't.
If he gets the runs made for him, he finds them, it's a joy to watch and no coincidence that when yesterday for the first time in ages our off the ball movement was up to scratch Berbatov was the player to shine.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
:lol: at Red Norse. He just pressed the self destruct button.

Dyslexic Untied

if it has any impact I say give the guy a break, the way I worded it (although I stand by the general gist of what I was saying) was pretty inflammatory and I tried to wind him up.
Got to give p ps sock some credit here. This is pretty big of him considering what was said to him last night.

MUFCgal

No way. Sure, some things you said yesterday I didn't even agree with, but what Red Norse was spouting was just disgraceful. He went overboard and deserves to be banned.

Moultz

IMO you cant have a spell of a handful of games and be quality. Netting often then go missing for 10 games and then pull it all back with 5 goals. Yes he was on song yesterday but he needs to be consistent rather than smashing em in every so often.

EricaNo7

I've been away this weekend and have just read back the last few pages.
Some of the posts in them are quite disgraceful - Berbatov just can't win with some of you!

And for the record, he was brilliant and I'm delighted for him

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
IMO you cant have a spell of a handful of games and be quality. Netting often then go missing for 10 games and then pull it all back with 5 goals. Yes he was on song yesterday but he needs to be consistent rather than smashing em in every so often.
I agree with this 100%
5 goals is great but I would prefer if he could spread his goal in a few matches.1 goal here, another there.That would be much better than a long run without goals and then 5 but still great performance from him.
Since he showed before that scoring a big number of goals doesn't equal into him being a lot more consistent, I'm not gonna jump on the wonderland bandwagon.I'm hoping to see a little more consistency even if overall this season is by far his best

p_ps_sock

Got to give p ps sock some credit here. This is pretty big of him considering what was said to him last night.
don't have a problem admitting when I've been a bit of a cnut, I would be a cnut if I didn't.

I suppose part of what pisses me off is we see a performance like that and then a couple of games later he's frustrating the hell out of me again. I just wish he'd find come consistency but I don't think he has the mentality to succeed at united, despite all his talent he just doubts himself too much.

EricaNo7

don't have a problem admitting when I've been a bit of a cnut, I would be a cnut if I didn't.

I suppose part of what pisses me off is we see a performance like that and then a couple of games later he's frustrating the hell out of me again. I just wish he'd find come consistency but I don't think he has the mentality to succeed at united, despite all his talent he just doubts himself too much.
so you are admitting you are one then?

some of your posts were appalling!!

p_ps_sock

so you are admitting you are one then?

some of your posts were appalling!!
I don't agree with appalling, poorly worded and the original one was over the top on a day we'd won 7-1 but I stand by the gist.

I see almost no chance of him succeeding at united, the thought of a CL semi v barca/real with berbatov and no rooney is frightening, in fact with berbatov even starting is enough to give me nightmares.

EDIT: I've just had a read back over the last couple of pages and tbh there isn't much I would change, everything I said I still agree with although it could have been put more diplomatically on a day he'd scored 5.

CentreForward

Berba's bitch. A Bulgarian dEvil
I don't agree with appalling, poorly worded and the original one was over the top on a day we'd won 7-1 but I stand by the gist.

I see almost no chance of him succeeding at united, the thought of a CL semi v barca/real with berbatov and no rooney is frightening, in fact with berbatov even starting is enough to give me nightmares.
what if he played like last night?

EricaNo7

is this a wind up?

Brophs

The One and Only
Tbf yesterday taught us nothing as we know that he has the ability to do that and Blackburn were pathetic. He has to do it more often (EDIT: Play very well, not score 5, as I'm sure some unfunny feckwit will try to argue with that) for us to get people off his back.

And I say that as someone who really rates him.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
I love Berbatov, he's ace. Such a wonderful player. Embodies everything I love about football. If I was manager, I would just pick Berbatov, Scholes and Giggs and 8 randoms every game and let them three do what the feck they want. We would probably lose, but it would be damn entertaining.

EricaNo7

I love Berbatov, he's ace. Such a wonderful player. Embodies everything I love about football. If I was manager, I would just pick Berbatov, Scholes and Giggs and 8 randoms every game and let them three do what the feck they want. We would probably lose, but it would be damn entertaining.
I love players like Berba too, Smashed - with that bit of magic about them.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
It's hardly just one match, he's been one of our best performers for the majority of the season

p_ps_sock

I don't give a flying fig that it's one match - he scored five goals, got in some great positions, tracked back, tackled and was generally brilliant all game.

and Rooney didn't even score one - so if Berba's crap and scored five, what does that make Rooney?
a guy coming back from injury and poor form off the back of a season terrifying defences in most games.

I suppose Defoe's better than Rooney as well then because he's scored 5 against Wigan and Rooney hasn't

p_ps_sock

oh for God's sake Pissocks, grow up!
wtf are you on about, I gave the guy 2 seasons and it'll take far more than one performance to change my mind.

1) I aint picking the team so it doesn't matter
2) It's a fecking football forum not the MPC.

Status
Not open for further replies.