Ballon d'Or 2021: more interesting than usual?

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
That's because every match is focused on watching Messi.

If you watch Michael Jordan's games last time, he's pretty much Motm for almost every game as well.
Its also because he's far and away their best player. Both key playmaker and goalscorer.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Suspect Argentina might win the Copa America which would likely tip the balance between Messi and Lewa.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Suspect Argentina might win the Copa America which would likely tip the balance between Messi and Lewa.
If Argentina wins it, it will go to Messi for sure. I have zero doubts about that.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Yes i think if messi wins the copa hes clear favourite
would that make it 7-5 aginst ronaldo... and he would have won an international tournament (and played in the final) ... I think the ronaldo vs messi thread would meltdown if that happens
Sure but Ronaldo still have most of the big all time records, he broke quite a few this year too, so there will always be some room for debate.

On team achievements, it will be Euro vs Copa, 5 CL vs 3 or 4 CL, 7 league titles vs 10 league titles. It will be very close.

On individual achievements, it will be 7-5 Ballon D’or, and all time career/international/CL/Euro goal record vs most goal in a season/most goal for single club/most assist etc. Very close too considering Messi has more Ballon D’ors and Ronaldo has more all time big records.

I actually wish Messi finally winning Copa this year. He deserves winning something for his country.

Last edited:

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Funny that Kane is now 2nd at the bookies for the Ballon D'or. Seems a few games can wildly swing it in your favour. He's not a terrible shout though, but I guess all this speculation is a bit stupid since the first half of the 2021/2022 season counts for something as well.
It only took a few games for Modric to win it in 18, as he wasn’t even being mentioned as top 5 contenders prior to that few games. In that sense, Kane is far more worthy winner than Modric, if he leads England to Euro glory.

Kaos

Lewandowski should be given it on account of him being robbed last year. Messi will likely win in this year if Argentina win the CdA, but outside of that his Barca team have been pretty naff this season.

Schneckerl

Messi if he wins the CA, Kane if England wins the Euro and he performs well
If neither happens Lewa

Can't see any other possible winners

Champagne Football

I can't see Argentina beating Brazil in the CA final when Brazil have home advantage. Fred and Casemiro playing well together in midfield.

I'd like to see Kane win it if he scores in Euro final and England win it.

bakalhau

I actually wish Messi finally winning Copa this year. He deserves winning something for his country.
Nice to hear that from you. Part of me actually wishes he wins too. I think Ronaldo has done enough to leave interrogation marks forever and ever and the debate will be endless at this point, I think it's clear both of them have more than cemented their legacy in world football at this point.

And while I personally believe Ronaldo has faired a bit better with the national team than Messi, I've started watching Argentina since 2016 and it really irks me some people truly think he's awful for Argentina. While it's true I've seen my fair share of bad games from him, and we all know about the missed penalties and all, I have no doubt in my mind he's just so far ahead of everyone else playing alongside him. And unfortunately I think the only way people can change their minds is if he actually wins a Copa so I'm kinda rooting for him too. Truth is for the last 5 years I've seen him play for Argentina, he's pretty much their top guy whenever they win or lose.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Ballon Dor wrapped up for Messi then.

Good tournament, but he didnt really do anything in the final.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Hopefully Messi wins it, now that one more nonsense criteria is ticked.

Him and Lewa are the best players this year.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Has to be Messi. Excellent during the season as usual and easily the best player at the Copas which they finally won.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
A Copa America win, finishing top goalscorer and top assister. 9 goal contributions in total, next best in second is 4.

A quiet final or not, he galvanised this Argentine team this tournament and will deservedly be heavily considered for the Ballon d'Or now.

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal
Lewandowski clearly with the best individual performance last season.

And the Ballon D'or robbed the season before, so it would be pretty deserved.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
A Copa America win, finishing top goalscorer and top assister. 9 goal contributions in total, next best in second is 4.

A quiet final or not, he galvanised this Argentine team this tournament and will deservedly be heavily considered for the Ballon d'Or now.
He should win Ballon D'or this year. Winning Copa as top goalscorer/assist is huge, even though he has a quiet game in final. Before the tournament he was close 2nd to Lewandowski anyway, I just don't see anyone beating him this year.

mdvmia

Supports
Barcelona
Lewandowski clearly with the best individual performance last season.

And the Ballon D'or robbed the season before, so it would be pretty deserved.
They shouldn’t rob Messi this year because they robbed Lewandowski last year.

Just give Lewandowski the ballon d’or for 2020 and then award this year’s as normal.

DaGOAT

Messi’s triumph with Argentina will be too much to handle. That narrative has been a long time coming.

Clearly the best player in that tournament with 4 goals and 5 assists. That’s enough for Topscoring award and the Player of the tournament award (co-won with Neymar).

Won the Spanish cup with Barca, which won’t mean much... EXCEPT people cannot say he didn’t win anything with Barca this year!

Topscorer in the league of course!
Also has at worst the 2nd best statistic output (goals + assists) in this calendar year 2021 so far.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
Easily Messi now for 2021. Not even close.

I do agree though that Lewandowski should still be given last years award. Robbed.

Eddy_JukeZ

Lewa should in retrospect get the 2020 Ballon D'Or.

Still don't get why they didn't handle the awards virtually.

Messi easily the favorite for 2021 presuming he doesn't get off to a horror start next season.

TheLord

The top three will be in this order:
Messi > Lewandowski > Kante

mshnsh

That's because every match is focused on watching Messi.

If you watch Michael Jordan's games last time, he's pretty much Motm for almost every game as well.
Every match is also focused on Ronaldo, Neymar, Mbappe etc. How many MOTM awards did they win this year? I'm pretty sure Messi won more than all of the 3 combined and this has been true through out his career.

Infact, when I used to follow player ratings when Messi/Ronaldo were at their peak, it was very rare for Messi to get anything less than 8/10. Ronaldo on the other hand had a performances where even with his goal/goals would get less.

The level of consistency in individual performonance (not only goals) by Messi is probably unparalleled and when you combine that with an extremely high ceiling (otherworldly ability), you have THE GOAT.

Hughie77

UEFA will have there usuall golden boy to have a shout , Messi or Ronaldo should be nowhere near it, but they will. Most popular player gets it not the best one.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
The top three will be in this order:
Messi > Lewandowski > Kante
Kante missed I think because of round of 16 elimination of france. Now if England wins messi,Kane,lewa in that order.If Italy wins messi,lewa,jorginho in that order.

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty
UEFA will have there usuall golden boy to have a shout , Messi or Ronaldo should be nowhere near it, but they will. Most popular player gets it not the best one.
Why they should not be anywhere near in an individual award when both were the top scorers of their league and also their country's international tournament(in Messi's case Golden ball too)?

Pocho

Messi should have like 5 more.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
what an incredibly moronic take. Messi absolutely deserves it going by the calendar year. More MOTM awards than anyone else and greatest tourney in Copa history by an individual player.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Messi will no doubt get it. He would have got it without winning Copa but this cemented it. I think he would have also got it last year but it’s a shame Lewandowski couldn’t get close for the last 3 years which he has been so immense for.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
So Harry Kane(if England wins the euros), Messi or Lewa? I think apart from Messi's lack of scoring in the big games in La liga there is also a fatigue of Messi winning it.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
A lot will also depend on who is firing on all cylinders come the new season. If Messi starts the season strongly until the votes are done then it'll be a wrap

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
So Harry Kane(if England wins the euros), Messi or Lewa? I think apart from Messi's lack of scoring in the big games in La liga there is also a fatigue of Messi winning it.
messi has comfortably been the best player in the calendar year of 2021

Hughie77

Messi should have like 5 more.
Messi broke his leg and didn't play for a season they still give it to him. They guys the pin up for UEFA. Wonder who's going to be the next one.????