Ballon d'Or 2023 | Messi wins for 8th time

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I would call it a "good" season for Messi and a "great" season for any other player. Both Messi and Neymar were clear of Mbappe performance-wise in the first half of the season. Mbappe was scoring goals, but his performances were not that great, his finishing was a bit erratic and he was a bit selfish, while feeding off of golden opportunities Messi and Neymar were providing him. Messi and Neymar both ghosted the CL tie against Bayern and an injured Mbappe came in and at least scored against them, and that colored the rest of the season. Messi and Neymar sort of lost interest (injury in Neymar's case) when the fans turned on them and made them scapegoats and Mbappe finished with a strong scoring spree, helping PSG limp over the finish line to a title. Messi still racked up some stats in the latter half of the season, but for a variety of reasons, I don't think he had the same motivation. He probably already knew he was likely to leave, but still kept it professional.

If any young player had the overall season that Messi had, they would probably be the hottest property in Europe (I would say a notch above Kvara last season), but by Messi's standards it was just a "good" season, not great. Mbappe's wasn't particularly great either, though he scored goals, but I would just about have him edging it over Messi given the totality of circumstances over the season. What sets them apart is that in the PSG setup Mbappe was still an obvious danger in the Champions League, whereas Messi was easier to neutralize.
I've watched the whole season and he was brilliant in the first half, even regarding his own best level and just "good to great" after the WC but mostly being a pro, he just wasn't there in full mind, clearly in disarray with the Ultras and even clearly pissed with the play of many of his teammates and mostly the club itself.
Like in some sort of ok I'll do my thing, if someone stupidly doesn't return me a pass, or loose the ball in a silly way, etc so be it... I'll just do my job and feck them if with this treatment.The contrast with the Feisty NT Messi was evident as fvck, yet not even Barca had that Messi too much.
To make it worse PSG last year fell from a cliff like usually does, but even worse there was a moment that it was just him and Killian and the last one still is pretty much spoil, not his fault BTW.

At the end of the day the issue with him is kind of a mixed bag that exceedes him and is inherent to the Club since sometime and the moment that he arrived and how and why he arrived.
In general PSG is putting themselves in a very bad place. They have a really busy football crowd, a la southamerican style, even more than many of the more traditional ones in Europe. Yet it's almost like an over the top reaction for being called plastic, or the Oil team, etc etc. So in order to feel like the part, they overreact, the Board too with that silly CL or nothing, the fans without their feet in their ground either and a large etc.

Messi also didn't arrive there in a quest, like PSG fans might have desired, he arrived there after being rejected by HIS club, clearly pissed with Laporta (no matter right or wrong) after beinng used for the elections and already having in PSG his mate Ney as a key figure in his new club and the New Kid on the Block in Killian.
The whole thing of the "I use the 30", the whole "I'm here to sum, you two are THE MAN here", ended biting his own tail.
He should have know better but I don't think he was in the right state of mind and after his normal first season and with already having the Ultras against and the whole internal issues of the squad, the second season already has lots of bad luggage from the first one.
More when fans compare his logical (yet not that typical) ubber comittment a la Diego with the NT of recent years.
That was a very bad mix of circumstances.

The ego related issues in the squad, relaxation, the really poor form of almost every other member of the squad at some point, the release of "secondary" players that were fantastic like Di Maria for them, while not having real high calibre subs plus having a rooster full of youngsters more eager to show themselevs than play as a team, was a mess. Also for me Lucho was the coach for that first season, to the very least the second one, not Poch at all, nor Galtier.

Even Killian realized too late how much he could benefited from his interactions in the field with Messi than being more preocupied for his status, his stats, his relation with the Ultras, with Neymar, the Press and board.

At the end of the day, his individual level that last season was great and PSG in the state it was, would have not even win the Title, even his last goal was clutch in order to obtained it, but I do agree with you that is hard to name it overal Brilliant with the atmosphere there, with PSG fans expecting NT's team Messi (in an unrealsitic way IMO) and Messi even doing his job, clearly pissed.
I agree with these 2 - it wasn't terrible for sure, and his bottom level is just incredibly high, I was just mainly reacting to a post saying his season was "nothing short of brilliant", which is pure hyperbole.

And just to clarify, I think it's perfectly normal he got the BO and is a deserved winner.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I don't think I am - I just find it very boring to reduce a conversation about a player's season to stats, completely disconnected from any context. Which is what you have a tendency to do.
That is pretty ironic as I'm actually one who constantly bemoans the goal obsession and looks into more advanced stats. But in terms of Messi, it is cleae as day that he's no stat merchant and the ratio of good plays to scorers is very high.

See, I always follow Messi's seasons quite closely but I don't 'document' them. So when you say his performances after the world cup weren't good, a quick look into his superficial statistics are a quick way of verifying whether I remembered it correctly.

Fobal

Supports
Liverpool
I agree with these 2 - it wasn't terrible for sure, and his bottom level is just incredibly high, I was just mainly reacting to a post saying his season was "nothing short of brilliant", which is pure hyperbole.

And just to clarify, I think it's perfectly normal he got the BO and is a deserved winner.
It was mainly sad that the second season ended as it ended. Because even with "mate Messi with the 30" it could have been so great.
Even leaving all the structural issues of PSG as a club, it was even bizarre how Ney fell in form, how Killian didn't have his best scoring season (as silly as it may sound, it was a season were he might score a ridiculous angled rocket and miss (easily) 10 ocassions almoat under the net). Messi also again hitted like a dozen of fecking posts and a large etc. of mini and big fvck ups.
The team had the usual brain farts in big ocasions or even not closing games but that season they added a huge loss of form in genral, Verratti looked like Rufete, bizarre being as brilliant as he normally is. For the moemnts those three worked and the moments when Killain and Messi clicked, that was so fecking great to watch.

KeanoMagicHat

And still dribbled like best ever and all that which just makes it his overall year more impressive. He didnt turn into Gerd Müller, he scored more goals and did things on a weekly basis that only Messi could do. At least in this era.
Yeah, Messi's 2011/12 La Liga season was the best of his career for average rating on WhoScored (not a big surprise when you score 64 CL and La Liga goals) at 8.88 rating. The only higher rated player is Neymar's first at PSG but caveated by being Ligue 1 and Neymar only playing 20 games due to injury. The only players to get within 0.5 of that rating in that time are Ronaldo, Neymar, Ribery and Suarez. 50 goals and 16 assists. A goal or assist every 49 minutes over a whole season. Most successful dribbles, second most assists, second most key passes, 24 times MOTM (next most was Ronaldo with 11). Then if you include the CL it goes up to 64 goals and 21 assists. One of a kind season that deserved to be awarded, even if his team didn't win the CL or league.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Yeah, Messi's 2011/12 La Liga season was the best of his career for average rating on WhoScored (not a big surprise when you score 64 CL and La Liga goals) at 8.88 rating. The only higher rated player is Neymar's first at PSG but caveated by being Ligue 1 and Neymar only playing 20 games due to injury. The only players to get within 0.5 of that rating in that time are Ronaldo, Neymar, Ribery and Suarez. 50 goals and 16 assists. A goal or assist every 49 minutes over a whole season. Most successful dribbles, second most assists, second most key passes, 24 times MOTM (next most was Ronaldo with 11). Then if you include the CL it goes up to 64 goals and 21 assists. One of a kind season that deserved to be awarded, even if his team didn't win the CL or league.
Whoscored ratings are cool enough, but they are based on algorithms. They are not without value but nothing beats the eye test which is simply watching the games. I think 2010/2011 was Messi’s best season and his peak. He delivered in all the important ties in iconic fashion. Messi himself also considers his solo goal vs Madrid in the cl semi final as his greatest goal ever.

KeanoMagicHat

Whoscored ratings are cool enough, but they are based on algorithms. They are not without value but nothing beats the eye test which is simply watching the games. I think 2010/2011 was Messi’s best season and his peak. He delivered in all the important ties in iconic fashion. Messi himself also considers his solo goal vs Madrid in the cl semi final as his greatest goal ever.
Well for 2010/11 he was 8.76 average for La Liga and 8.88 for the Champions League so it's much of amuchness in terms of average performance. But yes as you said, his big games were better in 2011, he scored a stunning winner in the semi-final instead of missing a penalty.

Joel Miller

I see Ronaldo’s sister has kept it classy too by commenting in a post suggesting his awards were earned and not given. She’s 46 years old :lol:

What is it about that family and having the mental age of a 12 year old as well as reeking of insecurity. To be honest the level of insecurity is pretty crazy considering his huge success.

VanKenny

I see Ronaldo’s sister has kept it classy too by commenting in a post suggesting his awards were earned and not given. She’s 46 years old :lol:

What is it about that family and having the mental age of a 12 year old as well as reeking of insecurity. To be honest the level of insecurity is pretty crazy considering his huge success.
Some people cant be objective whatsoever, they always use their emotions before their logic. She probably thinks Sneijder deserved it in 2010 too

bakalhau

I love Ronnie but his sister is insufferable. She'd do him more justice if she just kept shut instead. She's probably the only family member I really dislike.

GinobiliTheGOAT

You're using the plural when he played in one season of CL semi-finals and final with City, pretty ridiculous to make that point about his career at this point, come back in 3-4 years.
He didn’t show up in the FA cup semi finals or finals either. It’s fine, he’s young but it also plays a role in winning ballon d’or for a particular season. I’m not talking about years prior, just this last season. I used plural to talk both CL and FA cup.

Taribo's Gap

I love Ronnie but his sister is insufferable. She'd do him more justice if she just kept shut instead. She's probably the only family member I really dislike.
Don't you think Ronaldo could get her to stop doing things like this if he really wanted it to stop? Or does Katia do whatever Katia wants?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
You're using the plural when he played in one season of CL semi-finals and final with City, pretty ridiculous to make that point about his career at this point, come back in 3-4 years.
That’s the only basis for him being nominated and lauded as of now. And it’s not just those semi finals and finals. He was a ghost in the FA cup final , Community Shield and Super Cup (despite scoring a pen) as well. Which is par for course for a ridiculous goal scorer who isn’t a very good footballer but he’s being compared to greats here.

Joel Miller

By the way, I’m surprised to see people disagreeing with Messi being the 2019 winner. I think that’s close to being the most impressive season he’s ever had purely because his team collectively weren’t very good that year.

In fact if their defence hadn’t completely folded at Anfield and they’d went on to beat Spurs in the final that would have been the biggest Champions League carry job ever, as close to a one man show as I’ve seen in all honesty.

Swoobs

Supports
Florentina
By the way, I’m surprised to see people disagreeing with Messi being the 2019 winner. I think that’s close to being the most impressive season he’s ever had purely because his team collectively weren’t very good that year.

In fact if their defence hadn’t completely folded at Anfield and they’d went on to beat Spurs in the final that would have been the biggest Champions League carry job ever, as close to a one man show as I’ve seen in all honesty.
Is it really that surprising when you have a bunch of Ronaldo zealots here? Even the 2012 season was “debatable” for them, nevermind the 2019 one

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
Soooo to illustrate a point that already doesn't make sense in 2023 (La Liga didn't get a snif), you've created an imaginary scenario where Bellingham wins it next year and doesn't deserve, even though he might actually not win it, and even if he does, he might actually deserve it. But I guess the point sounded really good in your head?

That's a very nice read, and it makes a lot of sense.

I guess you don't watch them either. He was good in the build up to the WC (as expected, Neymar too) and then pretty much checked out after his win in Qatar. "Nothing short of brilliant" is an absurd overstatement of his season there.
nice article by Henry Winter. If the Balon d'or went to the best player in the world I think since 2009 Messi would have won at least 13 out of15. There was only 1 or 2 seaons where someone else had an argument to be genuinely better than him and one of them was Suarez. I don''t think Ronaldo was ever a better player than him but his goal scoring was impressive nonetheless putting out some high numbers. Lewandowski was robbed the year of covid but that's not Messi's fault and nobody took it home that year because it was cancelled.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I would call it a "good" season for Messi and a "great" season for any other player. Both Messi and Neymar were clear of Mbappe performance-wise in the first half of the season. Mbappe was scoring goals, but his performances were not that great, his finishing was a bit erratic and he was a bit selfish, while feeding off of golden opportunities Messi and Neymar were providing him. Messi and Neymar both ghosted the CL tie against Bayern and an injured Mbappe came in and at least scored against them, and that colored the rest of the season. Messi and Neymar sort of lost interest (injury in Neymar's case) when the fans turned on them and made them scapegoats and Mbappe finished with a strong scoring spree, helping PSG limp over the finish line to a title. Messi still racked up some stats in the latter half of the season, but for a variety of reasons, I don't think he had the same motivation. He probably already knew he was likely to leave, but still kept it professional.

If any young player had the overall season that Messi had, they would probably be the hottest property in Europe (I would say a notch above Kvara last season), but by Messi's standards it was just a "good" season, not great. Mbappe's wasn't particularly great either, though he scored goals, but I would just about have him edging it over Messi given the totality of circumstances over the season. What sets them apart is that in the PSG setup Mbappe was still an obvious danger in the Champions League, whereas Messi was easier to neutralize.
Fair summary.

Rojow

Don't you think Ronaldo could get her to stop doing things like this if he really wanted it to stop? Or does Katia do whatever Katia wants?
He won’t. Edu Aguirre is a journalist in El Chiringuito and he is always trash talking Messi, he is friend with Ronaldo. A close one and he always has some shit to say about Lio.

Joel Miller

I’ve seen both of their careers from the start and I honestly can’t remember a single occasion of Messi or any of his family showing any sort of disrespect to Ronaldo. Nor can I ever remember them sulking because someone else won an award he didn’t.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
I’ve seen both of their careers from the start and I honestly can’t remember a single occasion of Messi or any of his family showing any sort of disrespect to Ronaldo. Nor can I ever remember them sulking because someone else won an award he didn’t.
Because Ronaldo is a petulant man-child with arrested development issues who only surrounds himself with people that boost his ego, from his ridiculous sister to Piers Morgan. If you idolise this man, you need help. Seriously.

Swoobs

Supports
Florentina
To be honest, it is human nature to not be too negatively affected from an advantagous position.

Its like a football match, when winning most can mostly overlook ref decisions against them, when they lose most teams/supporters will moan the decisions against them, even if they are justified.

In their context, most nornal human beings will not be jealous of a lesser peer.

Gehrman

To be honest, it is human nature to not be too negatively affected from an advantagous position.

Its like a football match, when winning most can mostly overlook ref decisions against them, when they lose most teams/supporters will moan the decisions against them, even if they are justified.

In their context, most nornal human beings will not be jealous of a lesser peer.
Did Ronaldo even congratulate Benzema and Modric on their wins?

Swoobs

Supports
Florentina
Did Ronaldo even congratulate Benzema and Modric on their wins?
Nope, in fact he was bitter towards modric. He is not “most normal humans” unfortunately

Gehrman

Of course not. He's a classless idiot
See thats the difference with not being respectful towards a Barcelona legend and someone he and the media built up to be arch rivals. Benzema and Modric are Madrid legends with whom he made history together. Essentially when its not all about him he's petulant and classless. The player version of Mourinho.

Last edited:

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
See thats the difference with not being respectful towards a Barcelona legend and someone he and the media built up to be arch rivals. Benzema and Modric are Madrid legends with whom they made history together. Essentially when its not all about him he's petulant and classless. The player version of Mourinho.
Don't know how anyone can respect a fully grown man who regularly behaves like a 5 year old, but here we are.

Fobal

Supports
Liverpool
Don't know how anyone can respect a fully grown man who regularly behaves like a 5 year old, but here we are.
Because CR is an incredible player and pretending that any player doesn't have flaws (like any of us) or a huge ego at this level is to the very least naif.

At the end of the day the promoridal thing to get from pro players is their game, so if they deliver there, the rest is kind of a moot point, we might more or less be fond of their personalities, but if we like a lot their game it would be suffice to admire them anyway and in other cases we won't even care what a certain fella does, we won't like him.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Objectively speaking, the only close ones in terms of votes are:

1996 - Sammer won by 1 vote (could have been L.Ronaldo)
2010 - Messi won by 5% (could have been Iniesta or Xavi)
2013 - Ronaldo won by 3% (could have been Messi or Ribery)
2019 - Messi won by 7 votes (could have been VVD)
2021 - Messi won by 33 votes (could have been Lewandowski)

You may argue those years could be ended up either way. Although in close ties like those, player’s reputation could have played a decisive role.

In terms of controversy you may argue those years we have the most divided views/opinions:

2010 - Messi individual club season/stats vs Xavi/Iniesta WC/club success
2013 - Ronaldo individual stats vs Ribery club success
2018 - Modric WC performance vs Ronaldo club season stats/success
2021 - Messi first Copa success vs Lewandowski club season stats
2023 - Messi WC success vs Haaland club success/individual stats

heraklion

In terms of controversy you may argue those years we have the most divided views/opinions:

2010 - Messi individual club season/stats vs Xavi/Iniesta WC/club success
2013 - Ronaldo individual stats vs Ribery club success
2018 - Modric WC performance vs Ronaldo club season stats/success
2021 - Messi first Copa success vs Lewandowski club season stats
2023 - Messi WC success vs Haaland club success/individual stats
There's no controversy or division of opinions here. The majority of bitter Ronaldo fanboys have decided to become the biggest Lewa & Haaland supporters overnight now that their useless idol is no longer relevant after Real, in line with his childish actions on social media. Even Bayern or City fans/players do not show such dramatic reactions. As for Xavi/Iniesta, they have been the biggest fans of Xavi/Iniesta since like forever, Ronaldo fans are probably more fond of this duo than even the most hardcore Barca fans for well-known reasons..

Not surprisingly, this correlates well with what we see in this thread as well with almost all the noise and tears coming from the usual suspects, bitter Ronaldo fanboys.

Last edited:

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
There's no controversy or division of opinions here. The majority of bitter Ronaldo fanboys have decided to become the biggest Lewa & Haaland supporters overnight now that their useless idol is no longer relevant after Real, in line with his childish actions on social media. Even Bayern or City fans/players do not show such dramatic reactions. As for Xavi/Iniesta, they have been the biggest fans of Xavi/Iniesta since like forever, Ronaldo fans are probably more fond of this duo than even the most hardcore Barca fans for well-known reasons..

Not surprisingly, this correlates well with what we see in this thread as well with almost all the noise and tears coming from the usual suspects, bitter Ronaldo fanboys.
Nah other than the year when Xavi/Iniesta winning WC in 2010 (when Messi is clearly the best individual player), where you may argue there not much controversy. However the one in 2021 (when a lot saying Lewandowski fully deserve it while Messi has been struggling bad in Ligue 1), and 2023 (not even Pep could decide who is winner as Haaland fully deserve winning it too) does create a lot of debate around the media and neutral fans.

But of course if you are paranoid and can’t handle any controversy there, you may just blame everything on the so called Ronaldo fanboys, works easier for your peace of mind.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Nah other than the year when Xavi/Iniesta winning WC in 2010 (when Messi is clearly the best individual player), where you may argue there not much controversy. However the one in 2021 (when a lot saying Lewandowski fully deserve it while Messi has been struggling bad in Ligue 1), and 2023 (not even Pep could decide who is winner as Haaland fully deserve winning it too) does create a lot of debate around the media and neutral fans.

But of course if you are paranoid and can’t handle any controversy there, you may just blame everything on the so called Ronaldo fanboys, works easier for your peace of mind.
2021 I sort of understand but in 2023 Haaland’s goal poaching is not going to wrestle a Balon Dor from Messi’s - what will go down as all time great - exploits at the WC aged 36 especially given the long debate / criticism / redemption of his career with Argentina. I mean it’s not as though Messi doesn’t have great stats for the whole year either and he continued a stellar season beyond the WC albeit in less meaningful matches (NT) and at a lower level (club). But it would have taken a complete player (like Ronaldo or Messi or let’s say even Mbappe) to win the Balon Dor over this sort of pinnacle reaching year for Messi. Haaland who has scores boatloads but is usually a mouse in finals and big matches was never going to.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
2021 I sort of understand but in 2023 Haaland’s goal poaching is not going to wrestle a Balon Dor from Messi’s - what will go down as all time great - exploits at the WC aged 36 especially given the long debate / criticism / redemption of his career with Argentina. I mean it’s not as though Messi doesn’t have great stats for the whole year either and he continued a stellar season beyond the WC albeit in less meaningful matches (NT) and at a lower level (club). But it would have taken a complete player (like Ronaldo or Messi or let’s say even Mbappe) to win the Balon Dor over this sort of pinnacle reaching year for Messi. Haaland who has scores boatloads but is usually a mouse in finals and big matches was never going to.
Well even so I’d argue should France win penalty shootout the eventual winner could be Mbappe. IMO there is not really one single stand out player in 2023 so any of the final 3 (Messi, Haaland, Mbappe) could have won the award by just a very small margin, as small as one decisive penalty kick from their teammates going in.

The argument for Haaland, is that, apart from his insane goal return which broken England all time record, he also won the treble with City. Of course winning the treble required a lot of collective effort, but Haaland club season has been as perfect as any individual could get, it’s almost like reaching the ceiling.

mu4c_20le

See thats the difference with not being respectful towards a Barcelona legend and someone he and the media built up to be arch rivals. Benzema and Modric are Madrid legends with whom he made history together. Essentially when its not all about him he's petulant and classless. The player version of Mourinho.
Modric said: "Cristiano sent me a message, congratulated me and told me he is happy for me and I deserved it."
He added: "I have a good relationship with Cristiano Ronaldo and we'll have good relationship in the future too.

https://www.eurosport.com/football/...tiano-congratulated-me_sto6922173/story.shtml

See that's what happens when you listen to Messi fanboys. Fan fiction becomes truth and then you become Swoobs. Never go full Swoobs.

Mwooyo

I think Messi absolutely deserved to win it this year and just based purely on the world cup. Winning the world cup should matter as it is normally much harder to win something with your country than with a club. Winning with your country is actually a tougher ask when compared to club football.

This is especially true for a team like Argentina who actually are not that good of a team. Messi singlehandedly elevated that average Argentina team to being world beaters and he did that in the biggest tournament in football under the most intense pressure a player can be in. If Argentina didnt win the world cup, it wouldn't be news....they were not expected to do so prior to the tournament.

The way messi delivered for them at crucial high pressure moments over and over again is a story that seems more and more like a miracle when you compare messis performances before and after the world cup. Its like he reserved his best for that one month and boy was it something to behold.

Haarland wasnt even the best mancity player...that was gundogan or even rodri or grealish at the tail end of the season.

Gehrman

Modric said: "Cristiano sent me a message, congratulated me and told me he is happy for me and I deserved it."
He added: "I have a good relationship with Cristiano Ronaldo and we'll have good relationship in the future too.

https://www.eurosport.com/football/...tiano-congratulated-me_sto6922173/story.shtml

See that's what happens when you listen to Messi fanboys. Fan fiction becomes truth and then you become Swoobs. Never go full Swoobs.

That's me owned

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
It's not about 'not having flaws', it's about so lacking in class that you can't even publicly congratulate a teammate who fought alongside you, and also being publicly obsessed with the achievements of another player. That is the behaviour of a child, who can't understand that not everything is about them..

JogaBonitoRooney

That euro sport link is for what CR7 said to Modric for him receiving the UEFA men's player of the year award. It's awarded in August and the article is dated September 2018. Plus if you actually read the article it's talking about the UEFA men's award. People care less about this award, especially Ronaldo. The Ballon D'or is what everyone cares about. That's handed out later in the year.

It's not known if Ronaldo thanked Modric and Benzema for their Ballon D'or wins. What is known publicly is Modric had a go at him for not attending the ceremony and Benzema said he never sent him a congratulations text. Retry your research again, you'll find the quotes.

CR7 fanboys with the misinformation again or maybe they're just that deluded.

Also I've seen your responses to @Gehrman just above. You've embarrassed yourself.

Last edited:

Swoobs

Supports
Florentina

Lul another manchild stalker wanting to get personal?

Weird where are my posts on Hamas Israel/Ukraine Russia or do you just care about my posts on CR7/Messi?