Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
He's definitely played too much. We need to sign a proper starting box to box CM this summer, sell Fellaini and let Schweinsteiger rest a lot more than he does. He'll be coming off the Euros too, which only strengthens the case for that.
We have one called Herrera.

NoPace

We have one called Herrera.
We do. But we need another. Let's say it's Verratti for example - even though it won't be - to make me feel better after last night. We can then play:

Verratti--Herrera (Schweinsteiger)
----Schneiderlin--- (Carrick/Blind)

when we go 4-3-3, or

Verratti-Schneiderlin as a pairing with good rotation or bench options in Herrera, Schweinsteiger and Carrick/Blind.

And since Mata is he only player on the team who looks capable of being productive as a 10 apart from Herrera and Mata isn't strong enough or well suited to starting every single game, Herrera will get a healthy number of starts in that formation too.

Herrera can still get the 40 or so starts he should if we're in the CL and playing 55 games or so like we'll expect too.

TLDR: All of Rooney and Fellaini's minutes next year and probably 25% of Schweinsteiger's should go to a CM signing and Herrera.

Devil81

As a Bayern fan you should know what happens when you try to do 'more' in midfield under Van Gaal: you get dropped. Just look at how Van Gaal has handled Ander Herrera. If Basti looks happy to play it safe its because he knows his crazy manager will be happy with that.

Just ask yourself this: If Jupp Heynckes was manager of Man Utd, and not Van Gaal, would Basti be playing like this? I think we both know the answer.

To be totally honest when Schweinsteiger does try and be more expressive on the ball he gets caught on it. As much as I like the guy and think he's our best midfielder, I still think we've inherited a midfielder well past his peak and far into twilight. He can barely run, his biggest asset is the calmness he brings, he has bags of experience.

SambaBoy

I've been underwhelmed by Schweinsteiger so far, he's not influencing the game enough rather trying to be a leader with vocal part of his game rather than influencing play with his football. He's obviously a quality player but he seems to have lost a bit of spark from his Bayern days.

He's getting caught on the ball too often, and his passing has been inconsistent. Maybe he's just knackered and needs a rest because he can be very important for us in the run in if he can get anywhere near his old level where he used to take games by the scruff of the neck and drive his team forward.

Even thinking back to the OT night in CL under Moyes. He was everywhere that night, making box to box runs, being more expressive and even getting a goal, I haven't seen him make any runs from deep, he's always playing in front of our back four or on the left of midfield when he gets the ball which doesn't suit him.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He's just looked tired recently, was doing much better earlier when he was being rotated with Carrick. Too many injuries forcing the schneids to play every game now.

El Jefe

In his first few games I remember him playing a few delightful balls through the middle to set attackers through on goal. Those have now ceased to exist. The question has to be asked, is this due to LvG tactics?

He still does the basics very well with good workrate and intelligent play but like others I have expected more over the last few weeks. He is a quality player though so I still have high hopes that he will get to the level we know he is capable of.

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
Might talk the talk but his football has been poor for a while now, shouldn't be starting.

El Zoido

He looked absolutely knackered to be fair. Needs a rest to recharge his batteries.

FujiVice

He deserved that. He looks absolutely shattered, but he's giving you everything he has. Both physically and verbally. Cant say that about everyone.

Godfather

At least he his giving his best and kooks actually bothered. More than most of our others out there are doing

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
He's showing guts and class and bursting his lungs to do it all. Like any great United player, he's giving everything he has and more.

RedStarUnited

Im tired of reading 'he looks knackered'. Thats just how he looks, there are players that just have this look to them all the time.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
He's a proper United player, just looks like his body doesn't quite match his intent any more, plenty more to come from him I feel if we switch to a 4-3-3.

acnumber9

He did brilliantly for the goal but it's yet another game passing him by where he's done nothing but play the safest, easiest pass.

Ole90+3

He's been almost just as bad as Carrick.

Constantly shying away from the ball, hiding behind opponents. Showing very little initiative to find space in midfield to receive the ball.

Not surprised that he is getting praised in here, goes to show how shite the rest of the players have been, but Schweinsteiger is meant to be the main instigator.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
He did brilliantly for the goal but it's yet another game passing him by where he's done nothing but play the safest, easiest pass.
And the alternatives are? Playing riskier passes does not guarantee we will improve our attacking play as the passes depend on movement and the defensive setup of the opposition. Leicester are playing deep and on the counter, riskier passes play into their hands, we need craft not risk right now.

acnumber9

And the alternatives are? Playing riskier passes does not guarantee we will improve our attacking play as the passes depend on movement and the defensive setup of the opposition. Leicester are playing deep and on the counter, riskier passes play into their hands, we need craft not risk right now.
Playing the ball backwards isn't going to help our craft.

Status
Not open for further replies.