6.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Red Thinker

Could the Caf possibly think for one second, just one... that maybe Basti has been underperforming?

I have many friends who watch Bayern Munich religiously and even they say that his pass accuracy has dropped remarkably at United and he's not been able dictate like he did for Germany at the WC.

Successful

Owes the Caf £25 (With interests)
Schweinsteiger is doing his part. Not been great this season but you can tell he's a big player the way he solves some situations. He offers a lot to us regarding leadership, aggressiveness, will to win and calmness. If you took him off the team we would definitely be worse off.

To me he's a big clubs version of a water carrier. These players are not the best footballers but are the best footballers for that role they play. Deschamps, Edgar Davids are typical examples as well as Roy Keane. Every club need these sort of bricks who can handle all situations and not just the attack.

MrPooni

I love Basti, but I don't think he is being managed at all well by LvG.

It's surprising as LvG is the guy that Schweinsteigered Schweini.
Yeah, while I'm not laying the blame entirely at LVG's feet I'd argue some of BFS's worst performances were down to questionable management decisions, namely the Arsenal game where he was pushed up the pitch and made to press in weird, ineffective positions. That's not to say I know better than a guy who has managed Bastian for years, it was just baffling to see that mess play out the way it did during such an important away game, in the midst a decent run of results.

the hea

He's been a little bit of a disappointment so far, don't get me wrong he has probably been our best midfielder and there are certainly bigger issues with our squad but I was expecting more from him than he has showed so far. His passing especially has not been anywhere near the level I was expecting, hopefully it is all because he is setteling in to a new team, league and country and not him having regressed as a player.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Brilliant player but needs guys with mobility beside him to bring out the best in him and hide his deficiencies not Carrick or Fellaini who are pedestrian around the park just as much as Bastian.

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
Could the Caf possibly think for one second, just one... that maybe Basti has been underperforming?

I have many friends who watch Bayern Munich religiously and even they say that his pass accuracy has dropped remarkably at United and he's not been able dictate like he did for Germany at the WC.
Not sure why you're saying that when I'm pretty sure most would agree?

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
You are wrong mate....he has only changed his profile pic......i'm 100% sure.

Edit: Here a pic

Ah right okay, thought he had something in his bio too. Twitter changes usually derive from some sort of fall out, but that's nothing :lol:

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
http://www.express.co.uk/sport/foot...cism-poor-Manchester-United-performances-news

Bastian Schweinsteiger hits out at criticism of his poor Manchester United performances
MANCHESTER UNITED midfielder Bastian Schweinsteiger has hit back at critics who claim he has struggled so far this season.
Schweinsteiger joined United from Bayern Munich in July and has attracted criticism from the media for his performances so far this term. But he has issued a stinging rebuke to his critics, claiming he is playing at the same level as he was during Germany's 2014 World Cup triumph.

"Honestly, I am not impressed by the criticism that has been brought up [over] me via the media," he told German publication Welt am Sonntag.
"I am currently playing on a level that is comparable to that during the World Cup [in] 2014.

"'Old man's football' - that is an expression that was used back then, too. After the World Cup final those voices went silent.
"I will never be able to compete with Usain Bolt.
"But being slow or being quick on the pitch has not solely something to do with making sprints. It's also about being quick in your head. And that's something where I am fully up to it. And physically, I am not the slowest either.

"For me, it is important what I am being told face to face. Every one or two words will be made bigger than they actually are [in the media]. It was a good year for me, but not a perfect year. My performances in Manchester were really okay."

Sam

Where are the 'Basti will be fine with LVG's public criticism' people at now then?

Sam

So this is the best we can hope for then?

Shit.
He's a 31 year old, who clearly past his physical peak.

Playing him in a midfield two, in the PL, in every game, is just asking for trouble.

He should be used in a midfield 3, with two other players (Morgan&Herrera) who can provide the 'legs' of the midfield. Similar to what Juve did with Pirlo. Same goes for Carrick.

Brophs

The One and Only
I mean, every footballer thinks they're brilliant but it surely can't have escaped his attention that he can barely, you know, run nowadays?

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
He's a 31 year old, who clearly past his physical peak.

Playing him in a midfield two, in the PL, in every game, is just asking for trouble.

He should be used in a midfield 3, with two other players (Morgan&Herrera) who can provide the 'legs' of the midfield. Similar to what Juve did with Pirlo. Same goes for Carrick.
My point was that he thinks he isn't past his peak. But as for tactics, there is no way that a club of our resources, and having spent so much, should be having to play any formation out of fear to suit an ageing player that we've only just gone out and bought. It's not Schwein's fault, it's LVGs for bringing him here, whatever he cost. Your suggestion reminds me of when we got Blanc, and the entire defence had to stay back because of him. A feck-up.

NessunDorma

You put any player in world football in this United side and they will look half the player they are.
That's the thing.

I was actually skeptical when we bought Schweinsteiger, precisely because I worried about his fitness.

But when the likes of Rooney, Mata, Schweinsteiger and Depay are *all* looking average to utterly gash on a regular basis, then you have to wonder whether there's more to it than just their own individual limitations.

Last edited:

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Where are the 'Basti will be fine with LVG's public criticism' people at now then?
If you read carefully he's actually saying the criticism he's received from the media - nothing about LVG. He may be pissed with LVG, but he says nothing about that here.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Has Basti done something bad to spark this stuff about how he can no longer run?! I thought he'd been fine in the games he's played. A couple of ropey ones, but lots of decent performances too.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
I mean, every footballer thinks they're brilliant but it surely can't have escaped his attention that he can barely, you know, run nowadays?
Do you actually watch United? He may look shattered when he plays (as does Smalling) but to say he can't run is ridiculous.

His work rate has been fantastic; better then Mata, Depay, Rooney, Jones etc.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

He has been average. We were desperate for a player to rotate with Carrick who was vital last season.
Both of them don't have the legs for a 2 man midfield anymore, they need to play behind two hard working midfielders where they can get the Space to dictate play without worrying about being pressed as much and covering alot of Space defensively.

Luckily he "only" cost us 8m quid.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
He has been average. We were desperate for a player to rotate with Carrick who was vital last season.
Both of them don't have the legs for a 2 man midfield anymore, they need to play behind two hard working midfielders where they can get the Space to dictate play without worrying about being pressed as much and covering alot of Space defensively.

Luckily he "only" cost us 8m quid.
I've read this so often I've gone mental. We were absolutely, absolutely not desperate for a player to rotate with Carrick, we were absolutely desperate for a player to replace Carrick. We could have kept Carrick on to cover injury, but at his age we should really have been letting him go.

Two declining players do not make one first choice man and never will.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
One of Carrick/Schweini should be playing with both Schneiderlin and Herrera in a three and we should be playing 4-3-3 but alas we don't.

NinjaFletch

Has Basti done something bad to spark this stuff about how he can no longer run?! I thought he'd been fine in the games he's played. A couple of ropey ones, but lots of decent performances too.
Not really.

The caf only really has three moods the 'everything goods we're the best team in the world' mood, the 'despite being pretty good, everyone is shit' mood and the 'the sky is falling in burn the whole club down and start again' mood.

We're firmly in the last one at the minute, and between now and the time Van Gaal goes each and everyone of our players will be called shit.

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
We are a better side with him in it but he still leaves me disappointed watching him.

Last edited:

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Am I the only one who thinks he's been poor in this game?

Status
Not open for further replies.