g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Bastian Schweinsteiger image 31

Bastian Schweinsteiger Germany flag

2015-16 Performances

View full 2015-16 profile

6.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Imagine how the other players must feel at his incessant, arm-waving, ordering about, shit, when he himself is contributing so little.

I would like to see one of the younger lads, who played their hearts out tonight, tell him in no uncertain terms to concentrate on his own fecking game.

Sam

And after all the shit I got in the summer people are now realising that we're not actually signing the best midfielder in the world :rolleyes:

He's just getting worse as the season goes on. His legs are gone.

Drifter

American
Bayern does it again.Sold us sicknote Hargreaves and now a burned out Schweinsteiger.Beckenbauer said he would struggle in the PL .But we went ahead anyway.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
And after all the shit I got in the summer people are now realising that we're not actually signing the best midfielder in the world :rolleyes:

Bastian feckING Schweinsteiger!

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox

:lol:

Varun

Staff

:rolleyes: indeed. All those idiots who said we were getting the best CM in the world.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
He was really poor last night but has been pretty solid up to that point if you ask me.

Kneejerkers all over the shop in here. What is this a feckin convention?

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
Been poor recently. As others have said his legs look so heavy. The same can be said for Carrick but at least he has the quality on the ball to pick out forward passes. We've yet to see Schweinsteiger do that and at the moment he is a bit of a passenger.

Born2Lose

He was really poor last night but has been pretty solid up to that point if you ask me.

Kneejerkers all over the shop in here. What is this a feckin convention?
Agreed, the only problem I have is it's games like last night where I thought his experience would be invaluable. At just under seven million pounds it's still been a great value signing for me.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He was very poor but people seem to be ignoring the fact that he was playing alone against 3 midfielders.

acnumber9

I don't think he was a bad signing but he's clearly not good enough to be a mainstay in a team looking to win stuff. When fit Carrick should be starting every game.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I don't think he was a bad signing but he's clearly not good enough to be a mainstay in a team looking to win stuff. When fit Carrick should be starting every game.
I'm seeing this a lot, but I'm not particularly sure why - Carrick's been average himself this season, and hasn't offered us anything more than Schweinsteiger has. He looks just as shot physically.

Rockets Redglare

I'm seeing this a lot, but I'm not particularly sure why - Carrick's been average himself this season, and hasn't offered us anything more than Schweinsteiger has. He looks just as shot physically.
I don't even think Carrick has been average, I think he's absolutely dreadful.
He looks completely finished at this level, although I would definitely use him and Schweinsteiger separately to save both their legs.

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups

Please show me a single post, by anyone, which suggested that? There are a few idiots on here but I'm fairly sure that nobody thought a 31 year old midfielder who cost less than £10m was the best in the world.

acnumber9

Because he can actually pass the ball forward. He's been better than Schweinsteiger and anyone able to look past the fancy name will see that.

SambaBoy

He's been poor all season for me bar a few games. He's nowhere near his Bayern best or even 80% of that, his passing isn't creative at all and when he does try a difficult ball he puts too much trajectory on it literally landing it on the player's chest with someone closing him down.

In fairness, earlier in the season some of his through balls were top class and carving teams apart but that hasn't happened for a good few months now. LvG hasn't managed him well in all honesty, and that's definitely not a strong point of his management in terms of the use of his squad. A 31 year old who has struggled for injuries playing in the most demanding position yet being asked to play two high profile games in a week is madness.

Only reason he has been rated on here is because of his name and leadership skills but as has been mentioned by me and many others, what's the point of all this leadership and finger pointing when your own game is amongst the worst. Lead by example and all that.

He's never far forward enough compared to his Bayern days. He used to get the ball in the final third and play quick incisive passes or if he was closed down, he actually had quick feet to beat a man and create something but now he's just sitting deep, getting on the ball and slowing down our play. Needs a rest, especially over the xmas period seeing as he's used to a winter break.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I just think he needs to be rotated. Switch him and Carrick every game, neither can play back to back games really as their performance greatly suffers. They'll both improve a lot I think.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I'm getting sick of this needs a rest shit, the guy just turned 31. He needs to get his shit together if he can't play 90 minutes at 31. He isn't an OAP. Its fecking embarrassing. At 31 Carrick was leading us to a PL title and was the best midfielder in the league. Schweinsteiger isn't a fraction of that.
This is actually a very good point. How can a 31 year old, have lost his legs?

RedFish

I think he can adapt his game to our benefit. It's also his first season in an unstable team. Our expectations are maybe a tad unrealistic. He is performing just fine in my book and will get better.

khoazany

I'd like us to be more cautious about signing big name players who are unhappy at their current club next time, especially 30+ years old ones.He's an asset to the squad but I don't see us going anywhere if we make him one of our key players.Would be surprised if he's still here after summer of 2017.

Litch

Typical Knee jerk forum terrets. I read some absolute crap on here always after a loss. I don't see him struggling in the German World Cup winning side? Look around the team and ask how many would make any of the top 3 teams in Spainish, German or even bloody English football including Leicester at the moment. The issues aren't about him, he has pedigree but sorry the 80% of the rest of the team doesn't.

kundalini

I'd like us to be more cautious about signing big name players who are unhappy at their current club next time, especially 30+ years old ones.He's an asset to the squad but I don't see us going anywhere if we make him one of our key players.Would be surprised if he's still here after summer of 2017.
So would I. Indeed I was perfectly happy with David Gill's rule of not paying big money for players past their mid 20s. I suppose in this case the transfer fee was low but his wages will inevitably be high.

Schweinsteiger has impressed me in a few games this season. Watford away is one, Leicester away another. But in the big games you'd hope he'd turn up for, he's been shocking.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
So would I. Indeed I was perfectly happy with David Gill's rule of not paying big money for players past their mid 20s. I suppose in this case the transfer fee was low but his wages will inevitably be high.

Schweinsteiger has impressed me in a few games this season. Watford away is one, Leicester away another. But in the big games you'd hope he'd turn up for, he's been shocking.
Watford!? You were impressed with him against Watford? He was fecking awful, just because he forced the own goal doesn't change the fact he was bloody dreadful for the 90 minutes before that. Watford was one of his worst performances, 72% passing and consistently fecking up simple passes to the fullbacks by playing ridiculous suicide lobbed balls in which he could play on the ground.

He was better at Leicester but still far from impressive. His best performances were early on in the season, despite his goal and the own goal, he has been shite lately.

kundalini

Watford!? You were impressed with him against Watford? He was fecking awful, just because he forced the own goal doesn't change the fact he was bloody dreadful for the 90 minutes before that. Watford was one of his worst performances, 72% passing and consistently fecking up simple passes to the fullbacks by playing ridiculous suicide lobbed balls in which he could play on the ground.

He was better at Leicester but still far from impressive. His best performances were early on in the season, despite his goal and the own goal, he has been shite lately.
Given our difficulties in scoring goals and indeed, creating chances, I place a great deal of importance on those factors. Retaining possession doesn't impress me, especially if the game is level or we are behind.

In the early part of the season he tended to come on as a sub and control possession, which was fine if we happened to be in the lead but of limited use if we needed a goal. He started against Newcastle yet we looked far better when Carrick came on and we started getting some chances. Swansea away was another non-event. Up until Watford, not only had he neither scored nor got an assist, he'd barely looked like creating anything; perhaps that's not his role. May be he is best suited to sitting on the bench then coming on if we happen to be ahead.

Quite frankly I'd have Herrera starting in central midfield (as opposed to no 10) whenever he is fit, as he offers us creativity and a goal threat. I'd be prepared to pay the price in terms of defensive vulnerability, though Schweinsteiger's defensive efforts against Wolfsburg were far from impressive.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Schweinsteiger was a fantastic signing, not only because of his ability on the field, but also his force of personality off it.

The major problem is that he's being run into the ground. Van Gaal needs to pick and choose his games and we'll then see a much more effective player.

Not surprised to see many fans have turned against the player. It's like a fecking free for all at the moment.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
Schweinsteiger was a fantastic signing, not only because of his ability on the field, but also his force of personality off it.

The major problem is that he's being run into the ground. Van Gaal needs to pick and choose his games and we'll then see a much more effective player.

Not surprised to see many fans have turned against the player. It's like a fecking free for all at the moment.
Agreed, when we signed hi I thought it was to rotate him and Carrick but he's been played too much.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
I'm probably wrong, but last time I checked his Twitter profile there was SOMETHING suggesting he plays for United... right now he's not got anything in his bio and his pic/header is him in a German kit

theyneverlearn

and this one probably never will
I'm probably wrong, but last time I checked his Twitter profile there was SOMETHING suggesting he plays for United... right now he's not got anything in his bio and his pic/header is him in a German kit
His picture was him during our Adidas kit launch.

Not 100% sure of his bio but I'm pretty sure it had reference to playing for United.

I wouldn't read too much into it.

Chicharito_

tbf Bastian has been subbed off in most matches. He cannot play more than one match a week. Still he was overall a very good signing. But I do wonder how effective he will be next season or two.
He will go when Pep comes. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.