6.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

CM

I don't think he is doing us any favours in midfield at the moment, he's incredibly slow.

There was one instance in particular where he picked up the ball in acres of space and should've either made a quick pass or ran with the ball. Instead, he stopped in his tracks and the Swansea man dispossessed him with ease.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
I think he's a large part of our problem, i.e. pedestrian play... yes, he controls the game, but he also slows it down considerably. Most of the time I just can't see what he adds (leadership aside) what Schneiderlin/Herrera as a midfield two couldn't. Still happy to have him in the squad, but it's backed up by numbers that we're too negative with him and Morgan together in a midfield two.
This has crossed my mind more and more recently.

There were 2 examples of this in the second half today. One where we were on the break and he was behind further forward breaking players with his arms out calling for the ball. I want to see that ball swung in front of the on running players. Not cut back to him so he can play it across to the opposite wing while they get 11 men behind the ball.

The second incident he was at the front of the break with Rooney on the ball out wide. As he got to the box he cut back and ran back to the outside of the box, leaving Rooney with no options. Sometimes it feels like he's more interested in keeping possession, rather than taking a risk which may result in a goal.

204Red

Not a shock that with him back in the line up our midfield has looked more solid.

Great second effort tackle on our first goal.

sugar_kane

No matter how he is playing I always feel like we're more likely to win with him on the pitch than without. I guess that's what having the captain of the World Cup winners brings to a team.

One thing you can never fault him for is effort and passion, and that gives the rest of the players a lift.

I also noticed today that he seemed to be offering a lot more off the ball than a lot of our players, getting into good space to receive a pass.

Ixion

I just shake my head every time I come into this thread. Some people refuse to see what he offers because his name isn't Carrick.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Thought he was good again. Pleasure to watch. Rest him in the cup.

cyberman

Teams aren't walking through our midfield as they were during his 3 match suspension

Crashoutcassius

Poor today but has looked good at other times this season so can forgive.

Another CM should be on the agenda in summer, think BS could still be useful closing out games next season, so graceful on the ball

SteveW

Love him but fck me he has declined so much as a player. He seems to have lost most of his mobility. It's sad to see. He's not even that old

MelvinYeo

I'm only here for the post count
Why has LVG stopped rotating him and Carrick? I thought that was one of his better thought-out plans earlier on. Now Schweinstieger just looks knackered all the time.

ZDwyr

He was alright, I guess. Impacted the game in a positive way which was nice. But he has definitely declined. Just seems to lack something.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

I just shake my head every time I come into this thread. Some people refuse to see what he offers because his name isn't Carrick.
Carrick is also criticized on here, there is no agenda, they are both old and legs are gone, Schweini do have a little bit more mobility left in him though.

jem

He was alright, I guess. Impacted the game in a positive way which was nice. But he has definitely declined. Just seems to lack something.
We he wouldn't be here, certainly not at the price we paid, if he hadn't declined. Still a very valuable player to have on the team.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
His passing range is disappointing right now and that's got nothing to do with age and quickness. He used to pass the ball long with very good accuracy plus play a lot more high risk high reward through balls than he does now. He's either not fully confident to express himself or been told to keep it very simple with short passes to keep the possession game ticking.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Carrick is also criticized on here, there is no agenda, they are both old and legs are gone, Schweini do have a little bit more mobility left in him though.
Agree Carrick was my favourite player but his legs have slowed down considerably. Great squad player but creaking a bit. Bastian has much more in the tank and I'm delighted we signed him. The difference when he plays is stark in terms of composure. Bastian and Morgan should be the two names on the team sheet every week for our midfield.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
We don't tend to get beaten when Schweinsteiger plays. Yes, he's not at his peak anymore, but he's one of the few players in our squad with a bit of backbone. He played a pretty underrated role in our opening goal yesterday.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
It's so obvious that he and Schneiderlin is our best combination.

SambaBoy

He's not the Schweinsteiger we expected. But I agree with a few points on this thread.

1) He's doesn't take as many risks as he did at Bayern or even the start of the season. He used to have quick feet at Bayern combined with good agility but that side of his game seems to have left him which is understandable considering he is no longer a winger/has had a few bad injuries/ is the wrong side of 31. However at the start of the season, he was attempting a lot more through balls or dangerous passes but he seems very reluctant to try it now. He will occasionally switch the play 30-40 yards but not incisive like we seen against Brugge or the earlier season game.

2) We seem to look much better as a team with him on the pitch. His leadership skills and running of the midfield I always thought were overstated but looking at the last few games, it seems to be true of him or maybe it's the presence of Schneiderlin in the midfield and actually having someone dynamic in there. It's a subjective observation and can't really be measured as to what his presence offers. His overall game to be fair has been mediocre up to now.

Blackwidow

We don't tend to get beaten when Schweinsteiger plays. Yes, he's not at his peak anymore, but he's one of the few players in our squad with a bit of backbone. He played a pretty underrated role in our opening goal yesterday.
He played the preassist to the second goal, too.

LLMU

Wasn't very good yesterday, but I feel much better with him in the team than when he's not.
I have the same feeling too. And he needs Schneiderlin shielding the defence too rather than Carrick. His obvious contribution is always his pressing up the pitch and also the cool head he has in dealing with pressure.

prath92

Schweinsteiger is actually the kind of player people think herrera is. Always looking to get forward and always putting in those gritty challenges. He never seems to give up. For instance most would have given up after a slip but he mnaged to nick it off to Young in our buildup to the first goal. He is very gritty and passionate. Of course he isnt the player he was. Doesnt mean he is bad

Man Utd 1:0 Sheffield Utd

acnumber9

I know there's a lot of focus on Rooney being an automatic starter but Schweinsteiger being guaranteed to start every game is almost as baffling.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I know there's a lot of focus on Rooney being an automatic starter but Schweinsteiger being guaranteed to start every game is almost as baffling.
I think he's quality and not his problem he has Mata and Rooney who can't run in front of him.

acnumber9

I think he's quality and not his problem he has Mata and Rooney who can't run in front of him.
He doesn't pass the ball forward very much anyway. When he does try something more ambitious it usually fails. And his level of fitness is appalling. He's been given a free ride.

prath92

he is the only one in our midfield who is showing something even close to passion. And he keeps cool even under pressure and rarely loses possession. He deserves to start.

m1tch

He's not doing enough, you'd like to think it's not because he can't anymore.

m1y2

hes done for season, poor him tried his best to win it but his start is even worse than scholses

acnumber9

he is the only one in our midfield who is showing something even close to passion. And he keeps cool even under pressure and rarely loses possession. He deserves to start.
Of course he rarely loses possession. He takes zero risks.

Status
Not open for further replies.