6.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Not really, as long as its not written off in the tax accounting books and used for tax saving purposes.
Well it's been written off in our accounts released for the stock exchange so you'd have to imagine they're the same ones we use for tax purposes or there's little value in releasing them.

Mindhunter

Well it's been written off in our accounts released for the stock exchange so you'd have to imagine they're the same ones we use for tax purposes or there's little value in releasing them.
At least where I work, there is a separate set of financial reports for the stock exchange and for tax purposes. Both are governed by separate accounting principles. In general, tax accounting is very stringent. E.g. it will not allow you to amortize an asset in one financial year to reduce your reported profits and hence the tax payable.

Edit: Accounts released for the stock exchanges try to maximize net profit margins to lure prospective investors. For tax purposes, it is actually beneficial to have low profits.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
And once again... why is it "punishment" if that was your plan anyway and you don't care about playing?

Doesn't compute mate.
I dont see how this is so difficult for you to comprehend.

Bastian has been sidelined, and had to train with the reserves with limited playing opportunities. That is not to say that when he first came here that this was his original intention, and to just rake up the cash.

But due to a change in circumstance, whereby he hardly ever plays and was actually written off in the club's books, it is evident that he is largely surplus to requirements. The punishment in this case is that instead of mutually tearing up his contract, Hoeness wants him to stay and earn every single dime owed to him, thus punishing United financially. Almost like this man

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
When he didn't leave in the winter, it was pretty obvious that Mourinho had told him there was a way back, so he stayed.
Mourinho has said countless times the club is trying 'to make something happen' for Basti to leave, but he won't. Contrast him to Schneiderlin and Depay who actually want to play football and as such are on their ways to different clubs right now.

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
Now he's seemingly staying and in contention to play I just want to see him more than we have done. Seems a perfect alternative for the role Carrick is performing at the moment...

Scarecrow

Having a week off
I don't get why hes still here with us. He's had two transfer windows to leave. More shameful than Payet imo.
What does Payet have to do with this? One wants to leave his club, the other doesn't. It's exactly the opposite, if anything.

OohAahMartial

What does Payet have to do with this? One wants to leave his club, the other doesn't. It's exactly the opposite, if anything.
Exactly. Both are shameful in different ways. Payet for refusing to play for the U23s and first team, but at least better in that he's prepared to take a paycut to move and still play. Schweini went down to the reserves but is happy to not play at all anywhere because leaving would mean a paycut. Which I find practically robbery and more shameful.

Virgil

Exactly. Both are shameful in different ways. Payet for refusing to play for the U23s and first team, but at least better in that he's prepared to take a paycut to move and still play. Schweini went down to the reserves but is happy to not play at all anywhere because leaving would mean a paycut. Which I find practically robbery and more shameful.
Why? I seriously don't get it. The guy is no different from any of us in that he is employed to do a job for a certain length of time for a given amount of lucre per week. As far as I am aware he's not refusing to play it simply appears that the club has no use for him but thats not his fault. Thats the clubs lookout. Why should he go elsewhere and take a pay cut? Perhaps at the end of his contract with us he will just ride off into the sunset never to play competitive football again (unless some Chinese club offers him a ridiculous amount) Thats his choice.

Why? I seriously don't get it. The guy is no different from any of us in that he is employed to do a job for a certain length of time for a given amount of lucre per week. As far as I am aware he's not refusing to play it simply appears that the club has no use for him but thats not his fault. Thats the clubs lookout. Why should he go elsewhere and take a pay cut? Perhaps at the end of his contract with us he will just ride off into the sunset never to play competitive football again (unless some Chinese club offers him a ridiculous amount) Thats his choice.
The guy was brought in from a club that would have let him play until he's 40 if he'd wanted. He is just 18 months into his contract & he desperately wants to play here.

Why the hell should he leave already, play for a shit/average club, set up a new home etc etc?

As Jose himself said, he's here, he wants to be here & he's working hard. The bloke isn't even making a fuss.

Jaybomb

Schweinsteiger is disgracing himself. He should force a fecking move or retire.

Good player but I don't feel sorry for him. He was told from day one and yet hes still here collecting the paycheck...

OohAahMartial

Raking in millions while giving nothing back? What about professional pride? Love of playing football? The idea of offering fair service? In most other professions he would be simply sacked.

OohAahMartial

The guy was brought in from a club that would have let him play until he's 40 if he'd wanted. He is just 18 months into his contract & he desperately wants to play here.

Why the hell should he leave already, play for a shit/average club, set up a new home etc etc?

As Jose himself said, he's here, he wants to be here & he's working hard. The bloke isn't even making a fuss.
I don't believe at all that he genuinely wants to play here. If he actually applied himself he would be fit and so clearly showing his ability that Jose would play him. He's going through the motions and biding his time.

I don't believe at all that he genuinely wants to play here. If he actually applied himself he would be fit and so clearly showing his ability that Jose would play him. He's going through the motions and biding his time.
Yet Mourinho himself says "he's working hard" so....

He seemed beyond delighted when he got his first appearance of the season so he's either a really good actor or you're talking out of your backside.

iKnowNothing

Schweinsteiger is disgracing himself. He should force a fecking move or retire.

Good player but I don't feel sorry for him. He was told from day one and yet hes still here collecting the paycheck...
Why?

The simple truth is that the club bought his services and agreed to pay him for a set duration (contract) and now, even though the club can say "I no longer need your services", they should cough up the money with the talk.
If not, there is no obligation on him as a player to just leave the club so that some posters on the Caf can give him a "fecking gentleman" trophy.

Besides, knowing the caf, it wouldn't surprise me if some even call him a "disgrace" for quitting football altogether ;-)

Raking in millions while giving nothing back? What about professional pride? Love of playing football? The idea of offering fair service? In most other professions he would be simply sacked.
:lol:

Would you go to your employer and say "boss, you're not making me work for this money, so here, you keep the money and I quit"?

Why is the onus of "professionalism" only on Basti? Should Ashley Young do something similar too?

There is absolutely no practical reason for him to take the moral high ground here.

OohAahMartial

Yet Mourinho himself says "he's working hard" so....

He seemed beyond delighted when he got his first appearance of the season so he's either a really good actor or you're talking out of your backside.
And promptly waddled around the pitch as if he hadn't been training. And since then hasn't benn played again despite Carrick being knackered and older.

Mourinho was just trying to sell him, put him on the market shelf and the comments reflect it.

Why?

The simple truth is that the club bought his services and agreed to pay him for a set duration (contract) and now, even though the club can say "I no longer need your services", they should cough up the money with the talk.
If not, there is no obligation on him as a player to just leave the club so that some posters on the Caf can give him a "fecking gentleman" trophy.

Besides, knowing the caf, it wouldn't surprise me if some even call him a "disgrace" for quitting football altogether ;-)
It's absolutely bizarre. He wants to play and claiming he doesn't is beyond sad, now, Payet is apparently a disgrace for wanting to leave West Ham and refusing to play, yet United aren't for trying to kick Schweinsteiger out and refusing to play him?

It's surely either one or the other right?

OohAahMartial

Why?

Would you go to your employer and say "boss, you're not making me work for this money, so here, you keep the money and I quit"?

Why is the onus of "professionalism" only on Basti? Should Ashley Young do something similar too?

There is absolutely no practical reason for him to take the moral high ground here.
Ashley Young asked for a loan. Depay and Schneiderlin asked for transfers. That's precisely what I would expect.

youngrell

Jose also saw fit to leave Carrick out for a good while at the start of the season, and I'm sure Michael was match fit and putting in the required effort but the manager had made his mind up that he didn't want to use him until he forced his way in.

I doubt Bastian is intentionally not pulling his weight and is happy to just train and not play. He clearly wants to be on the pitch.

OohAahMartial

He wants to play here? Mourinho has brought him back into the squad so why leave.
Is that the acceptable standard nowadays? To never play, just be in the squad. As one of the highest paid players in the team. Most players hate not being picked. Almost all leave clubs when they don't get enough games. Except this one.

OohAahMartial

Amazed that the likes of Lingard getting a payrise to about a third (ish) of Schweinsteiger gets roundly slated and he gets criticised hugely despite always giving 100 percent and being fit, and yet a guy who comes here on a top paycheck and barely makes an effort to not be be too fat to play to the extent he was forced out of the dressing room and when he finally is allowed back in still shows he's not fit and no better than and older knackered Carrick yet still gets roundly defended. Beyond bonkers.

iKnowNothing

It's absolutely bizarre. He wants to play and claiming he doesn't is beyond sad, now, Payet is apparently a disgrace for wanting to leave West Ham and refusing to play, yet United aren't for trying to kick Schweinsteiger out and refusing to play him?

It's surely either one or the other right?
Well, I look at it this way : United no longer "need" Basti to play and they have no objections in paying him the salary he is due. Basti is happy collecting his pay check and training as required by the club/manager. I don't understand why there is a need to brand him as a "fecking disgrace"

Re: Payet - He doesn't want to play for the club he is contracted to. The club have asked him to train/play for U23 or whatever and he isn't delivering on that. So theoretically, the club can pursue a legal action against the player.
However it is in not in the clubs interest to pursue that. They'd rather persuade their "star player" to stay on or perhaps cash in on him later, where as Payet would rather leave.

So it's a bit different from the Basti situation.

Ashley Young asked for a loan. Depay and Schneiderlin asked for transfers. That's precisely what I would expect.
Assuming Young did ask for a loan, I still see him in the United roster collecting his pay check. So going by your post ("Raking in millions while giving nothing back? What about professional pride?") shouldn't Young also have to say "I don't want to get paid until I play?" (or something?)

OohAahMartial

Well, I look at it this way : United no longer "need" Basti to play and they have no objections in paying him the salary he is due. Basti is happy collecting his pay check and training as required by the club/manager. I don't understand why there is a need to brand him as a "fecking disgrace"

Re: Payet - He doesn't want to play for the club he is contracted to. The club have asked him to train/play for U23 or whatever and he isn't delivering on that. So theoretically, the club can pursue a legal action against the player.
However it is in not in the clubs interest to pursue that. They'd rather persuade their "star player" to stay on or perhaps cash in on him later, where as Payet would rather leave.

So it's a bit different from the Basti situation.

Assuming Young did ask for a loan, I still see him in the United roster collecting his pay check. So going by your post ("Raking in millions while giving nothing back? What about professional pride?") shouldn't Young also have to say "I don't want to get paid until I play?" (or something?)
Are you saying Ashley Young is too fat? Can't run properly? Doesn't really try? I've never noticed that about him. Bit limited in ability though.

Jaybomb

Why?

His job is a footballer. He should want to play football. But clearly he's just a money grabber.

Lost a bit of respect for him over the past few months. I never wanted him here to begin with but there was no doubt he was a top player for Bayern and Germany. Van Gaal giving him a 3 year deal was madness.

iKnowNothing

Are you saying Ashley Young is too fat? Can't run properly? Doesn't really try? I've never noticed that about him. Bit limited in ability though.
Never said any of those things. Besides I thought we are trying to argue the case for whether it was ok to sit on your contracts and whether the player should have to onus of taking the moral high ground and quitting the club/saving the wages for the club.

His job is a footballer. He should want to play football. But clearly he's just a money grabber.

Lost a bit of respect for him over the past few months. I never wanted him here to begin with but there was no doubt he was a top player for Bayern and Germany. Van Gaal giving him a 3 year deal was madness.
Again, did anyone tell you that he does not want to play football?

Again, did anyone tell you that he does not want to play football?
I wouldn't bother pal, I've had this argument a few times and you get nowhere with it. For me Bastian made it loud and clear when he left Bayern, he would only leave for one other club and will not have another European club after United. It's obvious that he could have stayed at Bayern for life but choose to come to England/United instead. It is also obvious that the guy couldn't hide his delight when he was finally back in the squad and came on as a sub versus West Ham, so to say "he doesn't want to play football" is just pure agenda driven bollocks.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I wouldn't bother pal, I've had this argument a few times and you get nowhere with it. For me Bastian made it loud and clear when he left Bayern, he would only leave for one other club and will not have another European club after United. It's obvious that he could have stayed at Bayern for life but choose to come to England/United instead. It is also obvious that the guy couldn't hide his delight when he was finally back in the squad and came on as a sub versus West Ham, so to say "he doesn't want to play football" is just pure agenda driven bollocks.

Oh sweet summer child.

If he truly wants to play football then he would have left. If he only wants to play with Manchester United then he would have shown his commitment by renogotiating his contract so they will reflect better his present ability. He certainly doesn't need the money so he might as well do that to win favour with his employees.

If he only wants to play with Manchester United then he would have shown his commitment by renogotiating his contract so they will reflect better his present ability.
I think he does only want to play with United, and I think you know it too.

Would he renegotiate his contract if it meant more playing time? I'd like to say yes but I've absolutely no idea as I don't know the bloke. It doesn't appear however that United have tried to renegotiate with him, Mourinho just wanted to force him off the books completely I think.

I think Bastian is in a nightmare situation, he has no intention of playing for another European club, he said that upon signing for us, he probably still thinks he can offer something if given the chance and he knows that signing for a Chinese or US club is the end for him and maybe something he has no interest in. So what does he do? Hope that by training hard he can get back in here and convince the manager, or retire?

Last edited:

iKnowNothing

If he wants to play football then he would have left. Its as simple as that.
Oh sweet summer child.
If he truly wants to play football then he would have left. If he only wants to play with Manchester United then he would have shown his commitment by renogotiating his contract so they will reflect better his present ability.
He wants to play football for Manchester United, per the terms of his contract. He might play in the Chinese league or MLS or wherever if he has the right incentive (obviously $$$) and United would have to compensate I would presume for whatever someone else isn't paying up (due to again, the contract the club and the player signed).

Re the part in bold: Again, why in his right mind would he want to do that? I doubt anyone posting on the Caf while at work wouldn't go back to their boss and say "boss, i've been posting on the caf while at work, so please pay me x amount less as my productivity has reduced?

Why should he willingly accept reduced wages and hamper his livelihood when he doesn't have to?

He wants to play football for Manchester United, per the terms of his contract. He might play in the Chinese league or MLS or wherever if he has the right incentive (obviously $$$) and United would have to compensate I would presume for whatever someone else isn't paying up (due to again, the contract the club and the player signed).

Re the part in bold: Again, why in his right mind would he want to do that? I doubt anyone posting on the Caf while at work wouldn't go back to their boss and say "boss, i've been posting on the caf while at work, so please pay me x amount less as my productivity has reduced?

Why should he willingly accept reduced wages and hamper his livelihood when he doesn't have to?
Rooney & Young should both be doing the same too really but come on, who does that?

I do think all 3 (Rooney, Young, Bastian) would accept lower wages on an extension if they were still involved in the squad.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
There's a few days left yet, I still think he'll go this window. Loan or transfer, United will pay most of his wages to the end of his contract, which they should do of course, they signed it.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I think he does only want to play with United, and I think you know it too.

Would he renegotiate his contract if it meant more playing time? I'd like to say yes but I've absolutely no idea as I don't know the bloke. It doesn't appear however that United have tried to renegotiate with him, Mourinho just wanted to force him off the books completely I think.
I think he's finished as a player and he knows that very well. Instead of making himself look as a fool as Steve G did in the MLS, he's better off in Manchester with us giving him his last paycheck.

Also if he wanted to renegotiate his contract then the club would have certainly listened to that suggestion and make sure that his agent would have spilled it in the media.

Status
Not open for further replies.