6.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

kundalini

So we should pay some 200k a week to a player whom we can only use against bottom half Championship teams? Smart
We don't pay him £200K a week. There was plenty of opposition amongst the board when LVG wanted him, due to his age and injury record. The compromise was a heavily performance weighted contract, especially after the first year. Since he barely features, I doubt he earns more than £4m a year this season for United.

AXVnee7

The best player in our team to have on the pitch when you're 1-0 up. Bosses the game so well.

cyberman

We need to play him at home v the likes of Watford if we want to compete on all fronts. He could help us avoid running Herrera into the ground

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
We don't pay him £200K a week. There was plenty of opposition amongst the board when LVG wanted him. The compromise was a heavily performance weighted contract. Since he barely features, he doubt he earns more than £4m a year this season for United.
Pretty good value for the 4 or 5 appearances he'll make in total this season :wenger:

We need an rvn

You know what's a really inexpensive piece of old furniture? Junk.

A really expensive piece of old furniture? Antique. I'll take this "antique" for some more time yet.
Fair poiny, but you can still get a really expensive piece of junk though mate!

Anyway, he did the job today and really happy for him and he must be doing something right to start and also get in our euro squad.

LLMU

Classy and make full use of his experience against team that park the bus. Will probably be drop again in the next game by Mourinho.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
If that's what's really bugging you then you should be happy that he had a good match to drive up his transfer market value. Gotta give credit where credit is due, and BFS played a good game plain and simple.
Driving up his transfer value? Seriously? The club would, most probably, give him for free. The issue here is not about selling him. The issue here is to get rid of his outrageous salary which is weighting on us.

There is no doubt that if played against nobodies, Bastian can still score a great goal or pass the ball. If you play Scholes or Pirlo you'll probably notice that they still have it and would do well in a game like this which was at par to a testimonial game. The issue here is whether he can still run, harass players and play like a 200k a week player. We all know the answer to that

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
I thought he has one more year left on his contract?
He does, but I'm sure the club will want him to go this summer. Irrespective of that though, I just get the feeling he'll retire - preferably going out winning something with United.

kundalini

This. Decent game but he's no long term solution.
Indeed but the same can be said of much of Mourinho's first choice team: Zlatan and Carrick for starters. Then Rooney, probably Mata and Fellaini, come in the same category.

devilish

We don't pay him £200K a week. There was plenty of opposition amongst the board when LVG wanted him, due to his age and injury record. The compromise was a heavily performance weighted contract, especially after the first year. Since he barely features, I doubt he earns more than £4m a year this season for United.
He's on the salary high end. That's why the club is insisting for him to leave.

You can say alot of things about United but surely they don't push old players/injured players out unless we really have to. In matter of fact that's one of our biggest problems

ike

He does, but I'm sure the club will want him to go this summer. Irrespective of that though, I just get the feeling he'll retire - preferably going out winning something with United.
True. Would make total sense especially if we have a long term replacement for Carrick coming in the summer. We can only hope.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Just like with Fellaini, Jose is able to find some use of him in these cup matches. He got time till summer to show more of that German precision and football quality.

m1y2

:lol:

All this based on a game where he was probably our best player. Great stuff.
Well I am sure he will have one or two maximum other appearances this season and then we will get rid, Mourinho can boss it without pressure. I am sure you've heard that interview from him. His first half performance was terrible, his second much better but calling him beast or back is pretty shocking tbh :-D

Jaybomb

And he's only playing against these teams because....
We'll have to ask Mourinho that. I think it had a lot to do with trying to get him off the wage bill.

Personally think todays performance was good enough to get an appearance next game.

Traub

Wasn't his remaining salary written off at last financial year end?

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Driving up his transfer value? Seriously? The club would, most probably, give him for free. The issue here is not about selling him. The issue here is to get rid of his outrageous salary which is weighting on us.

There is no doubt that if played against nobodies, Bastian can still score a great goal or pass the ball. If you play Scholes or Pirlo you'll probably notice that they still have it and would do well in a game like this which was at par to a testimonial game. The issue here is whether he can still run, harass players and play like a 200k a week player. We all know the answer to that
Selling him means getting his wages off our books too. And a higher transfer value makes up for the wages we had to pay him to do nothing. We'll get a decent fee for him the way we've been conducting our transfers lately.

As a response to your last sentence, of course we know the answer. That doesn't mean we can't objectively say he's put in a good performance. And saying so doesn't imply that he's worth the money we're paying him. He'll also be sold at the end of the year so cheer up, will ya?

ZupZup

There's a lot of confirmation bias when it comes to Schweinsteiger... people have this perception that he's lazy and unfit so they watch 5 minutes of a match... see him walking and start shouting about how he he must be knackered or his legs are gone... where are those people 90 minutes later when he is still going and getting better as the game goes on?

Completely ignoring the fact that he isn't sprinting around because he doesn't need to all of the time. If he was running as much as people seem to expect him to, he wouldn't be playing the game properly... It's not a school playground. It was the same when he was subbed on in his last match...

devilish

We'll have to ask Mourinho that. I think it had a lot to do with trying to get him off the wage bill.

Personally think todays performance was good enough to get an appearance next game.
Some people think I hate him. I don't. I am equally relaxed about him being around. We made the mess up by signing a former player on a long term contract, we should pay for it, big time. Clubs like Bayern do not sell players to their rivals unless they are either forced to do so or there's something wrong with them. We should have learnt our lesson with Hargreaves.

If you ask me, I think that given the right circumstances (ex loads of young players and 1-2 old players) we would have kept him. Bastian might be finished as a player but he's a magnificent leader. You will never take that out of a man. In par of experience he's our top dog. This guy lead sides to WC and CL wins. Very few players can said that

However we're not in that situation. We've got Ibra, Carrick and Rooney around. The former is still top class. The latter had been at United for a longer time. This team is in desperate need of quality and pace and at around 200k a week Bastian can't provide that

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Indeed but the same can be said of much of Mourinho's first choice team: Zlatan and Carrick for starters. Then Rooney, probably Mata and Fellaini, come in the same category.
Hm, yes. We could use at least 3 new class players this summer.

devilish

Selling him means getting his wages off our books too. And a higher transfer value makes up for the wages we had to pay him to do nothing. We'll get a decent fee for him the way we've been conducting our transfers lately.

As a response to your last sentence, of course we know the answer. That doesn't mean we can't objectively say he's put in a good performance. And saying so doesn't imply that he's worth the money we're paying him. He'll also be sold at the end of the year so cheer up, will ya?
I don't think he'll leave. Why should he? He's on a great salary, at a proper club and he's a 2-3 hrs flight away from home. Sure the Chinese would probably match or even outmatch his salary. But if the man cared about money he would have left Germany in his prime, something he didnt. Bastian has nothing to prove, he's a Bayern/German legend not a Man United/English one so he can't be bothered what we think about him and he's enjoying his last paycheck. We've got our own Bogarde in our hands

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
There's a lot of confirmation bias when it comes to Schweinsteiger... people have this perception that he's lazy and unfit so they watch 5 minutes of a match... see him walking and start shouting about how he he must be knackered or his legs are gone... where are those people 90 minutes later when he is still going and getting better as the game goes on?

Completely ignoring the fact that he isn't sprinting around because he doesn't need to all of the time. If he was running as much as people seem to expect him to, he wouldn't be playing the game properly... It's not a school playground. It was the same when he was subbed on in his last match...
It was odd in the matchday thread. Maybe we are getting overexcited about a performance, but a minute after that dribble in the box where his shot was blocked, some were back accusing him of having a Sunday stroll again.
There's rarely any middle ground on the Caf.

Acole9

Outstanding
Pleased for him that he scored, I doubt they'll be a more popular goal all season than that one. I hope he gets some more minutes even if he is only used as a sub, he can still do a job for us.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Some of the comments earlier today were ridiculous, albeit not unusual.

I don't recall this level of animosity towards him last season, but as soon as Jose took his, what ai consider to be an extreme stance, all jumped aboard. It has been obvious from the beginning that he can not just 'cover' Carrick, but provide enough quality to compete with him.

Coming to the business end of the season, we could certainly use a leader like him in the squad, especially with our thin midfield options.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
I'd love to see him get a chance to play behind Pogba and Herrera. I think and hope we'll see more of him now.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
BFS had his first game in a long time, and some people sit here and argue how bad he is, instead of applauding a good match.
What's wrong with you?
Be happy for the lad, he might actually help the team this season when injuries and suspensions starts coming late in the season.
As others said, he can only play the team in front of him.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It's good to see he can play a 90mins, and that we can potentially use him going forward, if we have the right situation. Cup, a few goals up etc.

We can't just rely on the main 3 in the centre, or Fellaini!

Tapori

The man is class and could be vital in helping us see out games and rotate the midfield 3. Can still spot a pass and was impressed how he grew into the game. Runs from midfield and neat interchanges, superb cross and can pick the right pass at the right time.

With all these games coming up and schneiderlin leaving, can you honestly see Carrick, Pogba and Herrera performing and playing every game? If he stays he could prove crucial when the team rotates.

Kant-ona

I think he was one of the best today. First start in a year, a goal + assist is pretty impressive, even against Wigan, but even without the goal + assist I think he was ok.

Unmutual

Okay performance. Capable of classy passing still, and a cute finish for the goal. But Im really not convinced he has the fitness to help us during a hectic Premier League run in. That said, we're still in three cup competitions and, depending on the opponent on the day, he could still play a role for us in some of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.