Gaming Batman Arkham Knight

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
not sure , some reporting drops to 2-3 fps on gtx 970 without the fps unlock to
Oh yes, the PC version is royally fecked. But I'm telling you, the PS4 version would be heavily shown up unlocked too. At least that shares a cpu/gpu with the boner so should run smooth enough under 30, but I bet under analysis it drops more than the XB1 version frame for frame.

Though it was done in house so shouldn't have half the problems the PC one does. Thank feck I can take or leave these games after City so can wait for the first fan patch.

zlatan_ish

juventino
Supports
La Vecchia Signora
It seems that way. Why would having a more powerful machine cause slow downs at higher framerates? I'd guess it's a memory issue, neither the PS4 nor PC has need for the memory bridge trick on the XB1, so an educated guess is they borked the texture system.

If that is the case, it's not a difficult fix, but it could also be Weaste's old complaint of trying to utilise multiple cores and messing it up.
pffft... xbone pulling down other consoles and pc.

b82REZ

Finally got everything downloaded and played for about 2 hours so far. I'm starting to get into it but some of the forced Bat Mobile sections are really annoying. I hope they become more optional. They really slow the pacing. I do like the vehicle combat so far but long sections of that will probably become tedious.

It seems like there's loads of things to do. I can imagine with all the DLC it'll probably last a while.

redspoony

Got this on ps4 today, enjoying it so far. No issues downloading the patch etc. Encountered the odd glitch but nothing to get my knickers in a twist over. Agree with some of the batmobile comments, but overall it's a great game.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
@Duffy Is the Batmobile as prevalent, however far in you are now?
I'm currently only at Ace Chemicals now, trying to free all the prisoners and just saw the 'Arkham Knight' in the helicopter for the first time

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
Anyone got any impressions of the game for us not based on performance?
Just finished playing it mate. Only played about an hour. Firstly, the game looks absolutely beautiful. As usual you have a nice dark setting and very bright neon signs and streetlights. There are some great vistas available from tall buildings and the inside of the buildings I have seen are well detailed.. The combat is as you would expect and the same as the previous games. The driving missions I played are extremely reminiscent of the James Bond driving missions but aside from slightly clunky controls, the batmobile has some nice touches and I can see with a bit of practice it would be easy to have fun with it/them. I'm guessing they may break the game up a little which you could be grateful for as it appears to be huge. 243 Riddler puzzles alone shows how big it potentially could be.

I don't want to give anything away really, but there are some lovely touches I have found so far, and overall, apart from some slightly annoying camera angles that 99% of open world games suffer from occasionally, I can't really find any faults with it.

Once again I have to say just how amazing it looks right from the get go. I reckon it's had a few "wow shit look at that" moments already, and that's after only one hour playing.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
Just finished playing it mate. Only played about an hour. Firstly, the game looks absolutely beautiful. As usual you have a nice dark setting and very bright neon signs and streetlights. There are some great vistas available from tall buildings and the inside of the buildings I have seen are well detailed.. The combat is as you would expect and the same as the previous games. The driving missions I played are extremely reminiscent of the James Bond driving missions but aside from slightly clunky controls, the batmobile has some nice touches and I can see with a bit of practice it would be easy to have fun with it/them. I'm guessing they may break the game up a little which you could be grateful for as it appears to be huge. 243 Riddler puzzles alone shows how big it potentially could be.

I don't want to give anything away really, but there are some lovely touches I have found so far, and overall, apart from some slightly annoying camera angles that 99% of open world games suffer from occasionally, I can't really find any faults with it.

Once again I have to say just how amazing it looks right from the get go. I reckon it's had a few "wow shit look at that" moments already, and that's after only one hour playing.
Agree with this - and have played it for about the same length of time. It looks incredible and feels extremely immersive. One thing I have always liked about the Batman games is that everything feels very solid - there is a real sense of weight and mass to the characters so it doesn't feel like a video game, if that makes sense. As you look around the world, there is nothing that disrupts or breaks the immersion factor.

The combat is excellent and extremely satisfying. Some of the punches sound more like gunshots though - a couple of times I thought I was being shot at but it was just me punching someone.

I have done a couple of sections in the Batmobile and I actually really liked the combat - probably more than the actual driving. I agree with some of the reviews in that I wish the Batmobile had been simply one of his available tools, rather than something that you are forced to use, as it appears you may be during certain missions.

One thing I would improve is the tutorial / early hints that show you the buttons and combinations in that they are barely on the screen long enough to read! I played the previous games, although that was a while ago, so its a bit frustrating that the hints pop up in the middle of combat, but disappear before you get a chance to figure out what they said. Although maybe thats just me!

Duffy

Who needs races when you're racist?
@Duffy Is the Batmobile as prevalent, however far in you are now?
I'm currently only at Ace Chemicals now, trying to free all the prisoners and just saw the 'Arkham Knight' in the helicopter for the first time
Yes and no. It has its moments but they do fit into the story and is generally there to help.

The thing that has really got me is some moments that I wasn't expecting. The open world aspect works so well, because there is no loading, when something happens unexpectedly its a surprise. There's some really clever use of the environment changing around you too that works well. Don't worry btw, I've not ruined anything there, I really couldn't do it justice even if i tried.

Enjoying it so far.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I am having very high expectation after watching some clips and reviews here. Mind you I am easily bored with gaming even after playing GTAV and TLOU for days only, or maybe I am easily bored with games with settings which are too closed with reality. I guess with Gotham City setting being "surreal" and all these "flying" motion would be much more appealing to me.

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
After intially finding the Batmobile a bit clunky to drive I'm getting used to it and now its quite enjoyable flying round the city at high speed, I like the battle mode encounters too, though they woulld've got tired real quick without that one hit kill shot, ya get a nice bit of staisfaction from them. Plus, Ive just found out you can change the controls to have break on L2 which has been hard to get used to with it being on square

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
After intially finding the Batmobile a bit clunky to drive I'm getting used to it and now its quite enjoyable flying round the city at high speed, I like the battle mode encounters too, though they woulld've got tired real quick without that one hit kill shot, ya get a nice bit of staisfaction from them. Plus, Ive just found out you can change the controls to have break on L2 which has been hard to get used to with it being on square
Good to know - which button then changes into the tank?

Duffy

You're a life saver, how do I do it and what then triggers battle mode?

Kaos

GTX 970 and not only do they cap this at 30fps, but I can hardly get 20fps on it. Not to mention the terrible textures, stuttering and crashes. This is easily the worst PC port I've played in years, it even makes AssCreed Unity look smooth.

Did Rocksteady outsource the PC port to some high school kids who did it in a week's worth of IT classes? Its shocking how there was evidently no QA for this before release.

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
@swooshboy @Duffy I'm told that L1 now switches to battle mode but rather than hold the button in its a toggle on/off style, I've yet to try it out though ive just been told about that here in work. you change it in contols or options on the pause menu.

Red-Man-Walking

Fully Erect
GTX 970 and not only do they cap this at 30fps, but I can hardly get 20fps on it. Not to mention the terrible textures, stuttering and crashes. This is easily the worst PC port I've played in years, it even makes AssCreed Unity look smooth.

Did Rocksteady outsource the PC port to some high school kids who did it in a week's worth of IT classes? Its shocking how there was evidently no QA for this before release.
Iron Galaxy did the port, their previous work ranges from the Arkham Origins port and Killer Instinct season 2, to the "port" of Borderlands 2 onto Vita.

Kaos

Iron Galaxy did the port, their previous work ranges from the Arkham Origins port and Killer Instinct season 2, to the "port" of Borderlands 2 onto Vita.
Arkham Origins... lol it all makes sense now.

I've read that they were given 8 weeks to do the port, that's pretty shocking and I can't say I blame them for the poor output if thats all the time they've been afforded. Warner Bros and Rocksteady can eat a phallus.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
@swooshboy @Duffy I'm told that L1 now switches to battle mode but rather than hold the button in its a toggle on/off style, I've yet to try it out though ive just been told about that here in work. you change it in contols or options on the pause menu.
Cool - thank you!

Have been turning into a tank each time I go round a corner...

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
Be sure to have a good look at the new controls though, I suspected the bloke that was telling me was getting a bit mixed up with how the other buttons changed cos L1 is enter/exit the Batmobile I cant imagine that changing to just put brake on to L2

langster

Scout
One thing I would improve is the tutorial / early hints that show you the buttons and combinations in that they are barely on the screen long enough to read! I played the previous games, although that was a while ago, so its a bit frustrating that the hints pop up in the middle of combat, but disappear before you get a chance to figure out what they said. Although maybe thats just me!
Yeah, this is a good point. I forgot about this until you mentioned it. So, two small faults so far. Camera angles and the hints not staying on the screen long enough.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Does it matter that I've never played the other Batman Arkham games if I buy this one? Will I think "what the fecks going on" during the story?

Also, how does the open world gameplay work? Do you just run/drive around and beat up bad guys or is there a lot of enterable buildings and detail?

Seriously considering getting this for my new Xbox One. I love Batman and the Dark Knight trilogy.

langster

Scout
Does it matter that I've never played the other Batman Arkham games if I buy this one? Will I think "what the fecks going on" during the story?

Also, how does the open world gameplay work? Do you just run/drive around and beat up bad guys or is there a lot of enterable buildings and detail?

Seriously considering getting this for my new Xbox One. I love Batman and the Dark Knight trilogy.
Yeah, the three games are a Trilogy and are obviously all linked. You could just play it, but you wouldn't understand a lot of the game/stories and little things they have put in the game that are left over from the previous two.

Open world works exactly as you would think. You can just arse around or search for puzzles or search for fights or search for missions.

Don't consider it, get it. Or get the first two cheaply then trade them in for this one.

Duffy

You could play it, but id honestly recommend getting the previous two, they're both brilliant and well worth playing through to understand the story before you attack the new one.

Lennon7

You could play it, but id honestly recommend getting the previous two, they're both brilliant and well worth playing through to understand the story before you attack the new one.
Okay I will! Are the other two free roam aswell?

Thanks @langster

Kaos

Asylum is semi-free roam no? I remember being able to travel to different parts of the Asylum.

Red-Man-Walking

Fully Erect
Okay I will! Are the other two free roam aswell?

Thanks @langster
Arkham City yes, Arkham Asylum not so much as you're stuck on an island but it is a much tighter, claustrophobic and atmospheric experience (making it by far my favourite).

Basically it's the Portal argument; Portal 1 is more restrictive but is almost better for it, Portal 2 is also spectacular but the large open-ended levels lose "something".

Lennon7

Arkham City yes, Arkham Asylum not so much as you're stuck on an island but it is a much tighter, claustrophobic and atmospheric experience (making it by far my favourite).

Basically it's the Portal argument; Portal 1 is more restrictive but is almost better for it, Portal 2 is also spectacular but the large open-ended levels lose "something".
Ah yeah I see. Are they both older generation (Xbox 360)? Or can you get them on Xb1?

JinnerJamie

Small ginger
I've got a steam copy of the game if anyone wants to claim it, I tried flogging it on Ebay but not one took it up. I preordered it ages ago from GreenManGaming then went out and bought my 980Ti which came with a free copy.

So one lucky CAFtard can have it for free.

Comes with some Harley Quinn DLC too.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
I've got a steam copy of the game if anyone wants to claim it, I tried flogging it on Ebay but not one took it up. I preordered it ages ago from GreenManGaming then went out and bought my 980Ti which came with a free copy.

So one lucky CAFtard can have it for free.

Comes with some Harley Quinn DLC too.
GMG are offering refunds on the game if the next patch doesn't fix the problems.

Kaos

:lol: I bought a GTX 970 yesterday and got it free, 30 fps. Wow.
Its an absolute joke.

My 970 runs Witcher 3 on ultra at 60fps with no sweat, but this game goes as low as 5-10 fps in MEDIUM settings. Broken to the core.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
Its an absolute joke.

My 970 runs Witcher 3 on ultra at 60fps with no sweat, but this game goes as low as 5-10 fps in MEDIUM settings. Broken to the core.
Try ARK... my 970 gets 25 on Ultra but 60 on a mix of Ultra/High. But it's early access and unoptimised, persevering because of how much promise it has. A week ago Titan X users were getting 15fps on ultra. The devs are releasing patches daily though credit to them. Best EA title I've played yet.