BBC: United hold talks with Mourinho

Would you be happy to see Jose Mourinho become next United manager?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35508280

Manchester United have held talks with representatives of former Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho.

The 53-year-old Portuguese, who was sacked by the Blues in December, is increasingly hopeful of succeeding Louis van Gaal at Old Trafford.

No agreement has been reached, and the club have made no comment, but negotiations have begun.

Dutchman Van Gaal, 64, is expected to leave United at the end of the season - one year earlier than scheduled.

That would leave the way clear for Mourinho, who is known to be excited by the prospect of taking over at Old Trafford.

The United hierarchy are thought to be keen to respond after Manchester City secured the services of coveted former Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola earlier this week.

Mourinho's arrival would mean a resumption of a rivalry that began in Spain when he was coach of Real Madrid between 2010 and 2013.

It is widely assumed the most obvious alternative to Mourinho is Ryan Giggs, Van Gaal's assistant.

The Welshman, who joined United aged 14, made a record 963 appearances for the club and won 13 Premier League titles.

The 42-year-old took over as manager on an interim basis in April 2014 following the sacking of David Moyes.

Although he has not spoken about the United job since Van Gaal took over, it would be a surprise were he not interested in replacing the Dutchman should the opportunity arise.

However, while Giggs was happy to further his education under Van Gaal, he is unlikely to be as willing to work with Mourinho.

Twice in recent weeks, Van Gaal's tenure has seemed perilous.

However, defeats by Stoke on Boxing Day and Southampton on 23 January have been followed by an improvement in both form and performance.

United, who are five points adrift of the Champions League places, play Chelsea on Sunday (16:00 GMT).

Revan

Assumptionman
Shit just went real.

It would be fantastic if we get him as our manager.

Fully Fledged

Manchester United have held talks with representatives of former Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho.

The 53-year-old Portuguese, who was sacked by the Blues in December, is increasingly hopeful of succeeding Louis van Gaal at Old Trafford.

No agreement has been reached, and the club have made no comment, but negotiations have begun.

Dutchman Van Gaal, 64, is expected to leave United at the end of the season - one year earlier than scheduled.

That would leave the way clear for Mourinho, who is known to be excited by the prospect of taking over at Old Trafford.

The United hierarchy are thought to be keen to respond after Manchester City secured the services of coveted former Barcelona coach Pep Guardiolaearlier this week.

Mourinho's arrival would mean a resumption of a rivalry that began in Spain when he was coach of Real Madrid between 2010 and 2013.

Sections of the United support have called for Jose Mourinho to become their new manager
It is widely assumed the most obvious alternative to Mourinho is Ryan Giggs, Van Gaal's assistant.

The Welshman, who joined United aged 14, made a record 963 appearances for the club and won 13 Premier League titles.

The 42-year-old took over as manager on an interim basis in April 2014 following the sacking of David Moyes.

Although he has not spoken about the United job since Van Gaal took over, it would be a surprise were he not interested in replacing the Dutchman should the opportunity arise.

However, while Giggs was happy to further his education under Van Gaal, he is unlikely to be as willing to work with Mourinho.

Twice in recent weeks, Van Gaal's tenure has seemed perilous.

However, defeats by Stoke on Boxing Day and Southampton on 23 January have been followed by an improvement in both form and performance.

United, who are five points adrift of the Champions League places, play Chelsea on Sunday (16:00 GMT).

Mister_Stubbs

The BBC don't usually write dribble so this has just got real for me, I fully expect him to be our manager next season.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Get him in before the Arsenal game.

Van Gaal DOF.

Jonnymufc

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
VERY unusual for BBC to post a story unless they are certain.

Wow

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
All those that don't want him need to suck it up and accept that mourinho is going to be next manager.

Personally I couldn't be happier, great news.

strandty

Pressure on LVG has now significantly increased. BBC are usually most people's sign of truth. Make it happen!

Zoo

Let's hope Van Gaal can steer us into the top 4 then he can retire to his 'paradise' in Portugal. Then we'll be set to go this summer.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
I take it United have deliberately leaked this information then, to keep the fans happy and keep moral high as we push on towards the end of the season. I do wonder what effect it will have on Van Gaal and more importantly the players.

Ah well... I'm part of the ever-dwindling anti-Mourinho camp, but I have to admit next season is going to be one hell of a rollercoaster.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Don't want to be facing relegation half way through next season. Let's get someone without massive question marks. Would rather keep LVG.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Crickey Riley.

May we live in interesting times.

Silverman

I am a fan of Mourinho's and would be quite happy with him being named next manager as there are very little other realistic options.

Wayne's World

It was coming, we need a manager who needs to go to toe-to-toe with Pep next season and Jose can do that....

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
We had no other choice. Hope he stays sane.
Who cares though a little bit of passion from the manager will be nice to see.

Mourinho's one of those you hate when he's against you but when he's for you his antics are somewhat enjoyable

Judas

Open to offers
Just happy for the bloke to finally get the job he's always wanted. With the power and control he will get here, I think he'll do exceptionally well.

Brophs

The One and Only
Interesting that this comes out a couple of days before the Chelsea game...

Status
Not open for further replies.