BBC: United hold talks with Mourinho

Would you be happy to see Jose Mourinho become next United manager?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Didn't Mata moan and have fits when subbed when he was being benched at Chelsea?
No it was only once he shook his head while being substituted.
Actually his professional behaviour made it easier for Mourinho and Roman to grant his wish to join United.

GiddyUp

Its challenging for a major trophy this weekend.
A nice day out, nothing more. An FA Cup is long overdue for this club but let's look at the last ten finals, who played and who won. Should not be seen as a major trophy for a club this size. I do want to win it every year but league and a good showing in Europe is the priority for Manchester United.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
But not if you need a goal or want to see out a game in the last 20 minutes. Mata would be perfect to bring on then to keep possession against a tired team for example.
Park was good in both situations, his discipline and great running skills allowed him to be a respectable threat for the defense and a pain in the ass for the opposing attack. Park is a much better player to bring in the last 20 minutes.

united_99

Park was good in both situations, his discipline and great running skills allowed him to be a respectable threat for the defense and a pain in the ass for the opposing attack. Park is a much better player to bring in the last 20 minutes.
Imo Park would be the better one to start a game in order to man mark or help defending, but not to bring in as a sub as much as Mata if we need a goal or see out a game

GiddyUp

I hope your not Ed Woodward in disguise.. Otherswise we really are fecked. We won't do a Liverpool because we have a bigger ground? Ayeee??

I do agree though we are 4 signings away from a serious title challenge. Let's just hope LVG isn't managing them.
Although I live thousands of miles from OT I have managed to get there six times in the last three seasons. When they announce the attendance I laugh because although they boast that it has been sold to capacity I am surrounded by scores of empty seats. Big stadium means absolutely nothing in my eyes.

macheda14

Although I live thousands of miles from OT I have managed to get there six times in the last three seasons. When they announce the attendance I laugh because although they boast that it has been sold to capacity I am surrounded by scores of empty seats. Big stadium means absolutely nothing in my eyes.
Scores of empty seats but still about 70,000 sold which is a shit load of money

JPRouve

Scout
Imo Park would be the better one to start a game in order to man mark or help defending, but not to bring in as a sub as much as Mata if we need a goal or see out a game
You are selling Park short, he was more than a man marker and defensive helper.

JPRouve

Scout
Fergie barely played Kagawa.
Neither did Moyes.
Neither did LVG (who finally got rid of him).
Kagawa was a potential starter, he just missed a lot of games due to an injury.

united_99

You are selling Park short, he was more than a man marker and defensive helper.
I know but he for sure wasn't as effective as Mata in attack. Obviously there are always exceptions but in the same way Mata played 120 mins bus parking in the final against Bayern, doesn't mean he is generally suitable for bus parking teams.
Park and Mata are both very different players and a top team can do with both type of players at least as squad options.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Fergie barely played Kagawa.
Neither did Moyes.
Neither did LVG (who finally got rid of him).
The only Midfielders/Attackers to start more League games then Kagawa were RVP, Carrick, Valencia, Rooney and Cleverley (who started one more game)... so that's plainly not true.

As JP said, if it wasn't for injuries, he'd have started even more.

FujiVice

Ferguson was high on Kagawa. If Fergie stayed for the 13-14 season, he'd have started ahead of Rooney (if Rooney would even be here).

sunama

Baghdad Bob
A nice day out, nothing more. An FA Cup is long overdue for this club but let's look at the last ten finals, who played and who won. Should not be seen as a major trophy for a club this size. I do want to win it every year but league and a good showing in Europe is the priority for Manchester United.
Agreed.
The league is the most important trophy (ask LFC fans - they want that league title badly and I don't blame them. Same for Arsenal fans).
The CL is important. A semi final place is respectable for a club like MUFC.
FA Cup, is a good addition if you are going for the league and cup double, but on its own, does not have the same standing as the league. AFC won it 2 years in a row and fans want their manager to be sacked. That sums it up for me.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I don't agree that the club doesn't care about the FA-Cup. Of coure league and CL are more important.
He never say the club doesn't care about the FA cup. In fact he said what you said.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
We are not a project you fecktard :mad:
That's exactly what we are.
We are a 5th place team and Mourinho project aims will be to have us competing for the league in season 2 and taking us far into the CL, in the 3rd season.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Of course we are.
Disagree. We are a football club with an ethos to abide by. Yes there is a journey back to prominence required and we'll need to adjust our personelle but the word "project" sounds so short term. Like a job can be finished at the club by the manager as though its a game of Championship Manager.

If Jose is keen to be at a club to stay in the long term, these words and other such associations should be dished.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
That's exactly what we are.
We are a 5th place team and Mourinho project aims will be to have us competing for the league in season 2 and taking us far into the CL, in the 3rd season.
That's just having targets. Every club has them.

SirAF

Ageist
Disagree. We are a football club with an ethos to abide by. Yes there is a journey back to prominence required and we'll need to adjust our personelle but the word "project" sounds so short term. Like a job can be finished at the club by the manager as though its a game of Championship Manager.

If Jose is keen to be at a club to stay in the long term, these words and other such associations should be dished.
I respectfully disagree. I honestly think the days of a dynasty are (sadly) over. The job is "finished" when Mourinho/whoever wins the CL with United. Then you have to re-tool and try to get another winning cycle imo.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
A bola are the most reliable portugese paper i think or is that o jogo? @Sly can answer.
It's O Jogo. But O Jogo has reported about this already and i think it's a matter of time till Mourinho is presented.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I respectfully disagree. I honestly think the days of a dynasty are (sadly) over. The job is "finished" when Mourinho/whoever wins the CL with United. Then you have to re-tool and try to get another winning cycle imo.
Fair enough, different perspective. I'd like to think Mourinho if/when he arrives wants to stay our club beyond 3 years. And if that's the case he shouldn't be just looking at us as a "project". I just don't appreciate the buzzword in general as it sucks out the character of a club by standardising all of them under one pot - project.

SirAF

Ageist
Fair enough, different perspective. I'd like to think Mourinho if/when he arrives wants to stay our club beyond 3 years. And if that's the case he shouldn't be just looking at us as a "project". I just don't appreciate the buzzword in general as it sucks out the character of a club by standardising all of them under one pot - project.
I certainly hope so, and I assume as long as he is able to sustain success he'll stay.

El-Manos

Time for the fans to get excited, announce it already! Worst kept secret in football atm. If he was going anywhere else but us it would have been announced already.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Status
Not open for further replies.