BBC: United hold talks with Mourinho

Would you be happy to see Jose Mourinho become next United manager?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
It really has diminished in every way. It's a shame, but it's the way it is.
The FA cup is an after thought? So its beneath us? Is that the fan mentality?
Its not the mentality of the club I have been supporting. I think some fans have this mentality which lacks a certain lack of gratitude, empathy, history and roots.

Von Mistelroum

I'm surprised that people are so dismissive of the notion that we could be on a real slide here if we get this wrong.

For me, there are two possibilities which are at opposite ends of the spectrum. There are others, but these are the two, as I see it, which are best or worst case.

Scenario 1: The most likely scenario by far in my opinion, LVG stays for one final season, with the plan being for Giggs to take over afterwards. In this scenario I see De Gea leaving and no top players coming in for the simple reason that Van Gaal has made himself look like a bit of an incompetent clown, we're not in the CL, and things don't look like improving anytime soon. Think about how many games we'd have lost this season if not for De Gea's heroics. We could really slide down the table this way, and looking at the money coming into the PL and how competitive it's becoming at the top with Klopp, Conte, Pep etc attracting players, and it's easy to see that we could drop a long way.

Scenario 2: Mourinho comes in and has renewed hunger to succeed in a club he's always fancied managing. The huge draw that comes from having a top manager, as well as the potentially huge rivalry with Pep within the two Manchester clubs could entice some big name players to actually come here and we could start the big rebuild.

I genuinely think that scenario 1, or some variation of it, is extremely likely and concerning.

RedChip

I'm surprised that people are so dismissive of the notion that we could be on a real slide here if we get this wrong.

For me, there are two possibilities which are at opposite ends of the spectrum. There are others, but these are the two, as I see it, which are best or worst case.

Scenario 1: The most pessimistic scenario by far in my opinion, LVG stays for one final season, with the plan being for Giggs to take over afterwards. In this scenario I see De Gea leaving and no top players coming in for the simple reason that Van Gaal has made himself look like a bit of an incompetent clown, we're not in the CL, and things don't look like improving anytime soon. Think about how many games we'd have lost this season if not for De Gea's heroics. We could really slide down the table this way, and looking at the money coming into the PL and how competitive it's becoming at the top with Klopp, Conte, Pep etc attracting players, and it's easy to see that we could drop a long way.

Scenario 2: Mourinho comes in and has renewed hunger to succeed in a club he's always fancied managing. The huge draw that comes from having a top manager, as well as the potentially huge rivalry with Pep within the two Manchester clubs could entice some big name players to actually come here and we could start the big rebuild.

I genuinely think that scenario 1, or some variation of it, is extremely likely and concerning.
Fixed it for you.

Btw, why do you think it is the most likely scenario?

Von Mistelroum

Fixed it for you.

Btw, why do you think it is the most likely scenario?
Well, outside of paper talk, there's not been any indication of unhappiness with Van Gaal. I look at how settled and confident he looks when he says he'll be here next year and can't imagine he's been told he's off (and we'd surely at least have indicated something of the sort). I also just don't see us hiring Mourinho, it's too sensible.

I don't deny being pessimistic, but Van Gaal has pushed me into it ;) I'll be shocked if I'm wrong, but very happy.

togg

I think its this type of over the type drama queen madness that results in utter bollocks being spouted all over the place. 7th then 4th then 5th so no clear downward trajectory there. Also in line to win the FA cup for the first time in over a decade. We had a massive drop to 7th when Moyes took over. Wrong manager taking over when not only we lost the greatest manager ever but we lost a long serving Executive in Gill. Two big blows on top of the wrong manager being appointed. LVG came in, we finished 4th and he partially fixed some of the problems that Moyes created. This season we will be goal difference away from being 4th again if we beat Bournemouth. Thats not a clear downward trajectory. Our squad has been thinned out and LVG has made the mistake of simply relying on the youth system to cover positions. The positive out of that has been a couple of young players coming through who look to have big futures. A couple of key signings over the summer and we will have a very good squad. The declining squad theme is an over blown out of context fear mongering angle to chase.
I want LVG gone, check back in the "sick of this boring bullshit" thread and you will see me there back on late September moaning about the football. I hate how we play, we are tedious and boring to watch.

Here is the reality, we are now too huge a club to do what Liverpool did or what we went through after Busby. We are looking to expand OT to close to 90,000. Anfield has hardly increased its capacity. The revenue streams are not going away. We will not despite Erubus over the top assertion end up as a mid table club. Thats just over the top bollocks.
Some of you need to get a grip. We are not facing the apocalypse if Mourinho doesnt end up here. I said this when Fergie first retired and I cant believe people cant work this out. We were always going to have a period of struggle and the days of finishing in the top 2 of the EPL (18 out of 23 seasons) are over, that wont ever happen again. We will win the title again, we will win cups again, we are not headed for the Apocalypse or becoming like Liverpool.
Get a fecking grip and stop with the over the top drama queen bollocks.
I swear I could here 'Jersualem' growing louder and louder in the background as I read this....:drool:

Mainoldo

I think its this type of over the type drama queen madness that results in utter bollocks being spouted all over the place. 7th then 4th then 5th so no clear downward trajectory there. Also in line to win the FA cup for the first time in over a decade. We had a massive drop to 7th when Moyes took over. Wrong manager taking over when not only we lost the greatest manager ever but we lost a long serving Executive in Gill. Two big blows on top of the wrong manager being appointed. LVG came in, we finished 4th and he partially fixed some of the problems that Moyes created. This season we will be goal difference away from being 4th again if we beat Bournemouth. Thats not a clear downward trajectory. Our squad has been thinned out and LVG has made the mistake of simply relying on the youth system to cover positions. The positive out of that has been a couple of young players coming through who look to have big futures. A couple of key signings over the summer and we will have a very good squad. The declining squad theme is an over blown out of context fear mongering angle to chase.
I want LVG gone, check back in the "sick of this boring bullshit" thread and you will see me there back on late September moaning about the football. I hate how we play, we are tedious and boring to watch.

Here is the reality, we are now too huge a club to do what Liverpool did or what we went through after Busby. We are looking to expand OT to close to 90,000. Anfield has hardly increased its capacity. The revenue streams are not going away. We will not despite Erubus over the top assertion end up as a mid table club. Thats just over the top bollocks.
Some of you need to get a grip. We are not facing the apocalypse if Mourinho doesnt end up here. I said this when Fergie first retired and I cant believe people cant work this out. We were always going to have a period of struggle and the days of finishing in the top 2 of the EPL (18 out of 23 seasons) are over, that wont ever happen again. We will win the title again, we will win cups again, we are not headed for the Apocalypse or becoming like Liverpool.
Get a fecking grip and stop with the over the top drama queen bollocks.
I hope your not Ed Woodward in disguise.. Otherswise we really are fecked. We won't do a Liverpool because we have a bigger ground? Ayeee??

I do agree though we are 4 signings away from a serious title challenge. Let's just hope LVG isn't managing them.

RedChip

Well, outside of paper talk, there's not been any indication of unhappiness with Van Gaal. I look at how settled and confident he looks when he says he'll be here next year and can't imagine he's been told he's off (and we'd surely at least have indicated something of the sort). I also just don't see us hiring Mourinho, it's too sensible.

I don't deny being pessimistic, but Van Gaal has pushed me into it ;) I'll be shocked if I'm wrong, but very happy.
I think Van Gaal is the epitome of braggadicio. Deep down I would be surprised if he doesn't expect the sack. He has failed in many ways, not least our final league position.

As for being told about his future, I am not sure it matters much; Moyes also appeared totally oblivious or in total denial until the ax fell.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
I hope your not Ed Woodward in disguise.. Otherswise we really are fecked. We won't do a Liverpool because we have a bigger ground? Ayeee??

I do agree though we are 4 signings away from a serious title challenge. Let's just hope LVG isn't managing them.
Thats not what i was saying.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Von Mistelroum, post: 19193195, member: 96423"]Well, outside of paper talk, there's not been any indication of unhappiness with Van Gaal. I look at how settled and confident he looks when he says he'll be here next year and can't imagine he's been told he's off (and we'd surely at least have indicated something of the sort). I also just don't see us hiring Mourinho, it's too sensible.

I don't deny being pessimistic, but Van Gaal has pushed me into it ;) I'll be shocked if I'm wrong, but very happy.[/QUOTE]
This is just you thinking worst case scenario. The target was top 3 minimum and make a good run in the C.L.
He has failed.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
...However what i am arguing against is the overblown overhyped sensationalist scenarios some are painting. its cringeworthy.
You think the following is overblown?
It's pretty poor, if you ask me and I am not over-blowing our current situation.

2013-2014: 64 points; Goals 64
2014-2015: 70 points; Goals 62
2015-2016: 63 points; Goals 46

The Purley King

It's pretty poor, if you ask me and I am not over-blowing our current situation.
Pretty poor? Its a complete fecking disgrace. Entirely unforgivable. Calling it the worst season in the last 30 years wouldn't be overblowing the situation.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima

Not to forget not scoring a first half goal in 21 out of 37 league games. Dreadful.

prath92

It's extremely obvious that mourinho is all but done. He wouldn't be talking stuff like 'I have time' if it wasn't. Not to mention reliable guys like Di marzio, Portuguese media which according to the Portuguese posters here are very reliable report we have a pre contract.

People still refusing to believe it are just choosing to believe the worst news just to criticise the club.

rotherham_red

I think some of you have short memories if you think this is the worst season Utd have had since Fergie retired... As bad as this season has been, we were definitely worse under Moyes. How can anyone forget how utterly inept we were in the big games under him? The 3-0s at home to Pool and City, which could easily have hit double figures, where we looked like we would rather be anywhere else.

LVG for all his faults, at least gave us an identity when we played and he tightened up a defence which was at times the season before, absolutely comical. That's not to say he's not deserving of the sack, he definitely is and he will be. But he did at least one third and a bit of his job right, with the defence and some aspects of the midfield play. What ultimately will have cost him was the lack of attacking reinforcements and his fawning bias towards Rooney which dulled our team and rendered us impotent.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
The question is: we need to be rebuilt, so is Jose the right manager for that? And would he be fine with playing without CL?

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
The question is: we need to be rebuilt, so is Jose the right manager for that? And would he be fine with playing without CL?
Think Jose is one of the biggest names out there, who better for the rebuilding job?
He wouldn't have qualified with Chelsea, doubt he would quit that job cause of no cl.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Think Jose is one of the biggest names out there, who better for the rebuilding job?
He wouldn't have qualified with Chelsea, doubt he would quit that job cause of no cl.
He's a successful manager, yes. But is he also a "build up" manager?

Shark

@NotShark
Us and Jose are are at a low point, which is why it could be a perfect storm. He would have been out if the CL with Chelsea anyway.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Right. So the question is actually, is Mourinho going to sit out the entire next season because he doesnt get to manage a club in the CL?

Seems unlikely.
Definitely not. Doubt not being in the CL will bother him. We are a high profile club with great resources. If he stayed out of football for another season it doesn't take long to get out of touch. Our of sight, out of mind. There are plenty of managers that applies to.

Mainoldo

He's a successful manager, yes. But is he also a "build up" manager?
Chelsea finished 4th when he took over? He built them up. Plus we don't need rebuilding the foundations are there. We need progressing!!

Status
Not open for further replies.