BBC: United hold talks with Mourinho

Would you be happy to see Jose Mourinho become next United manager?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
With Poch signing on at Spurs i think we can narrow it down to either LVg or Mourinho in charge next season. Unless the board make Giggs manager.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Who? Who forgets our problems, or forgives LVG, after a win?
Plenty of people.
Check out the LVG Out thread.
There is a poll in that thread and people change their votes according to the last game played.

Adebesi

Plenty of people.
Check out the LVG Out thread.
There is a poll in that thread and people change their votes according to the last game played.
I spend plenty of time in the LVG Out thread and I have to say I cannot think of a single poster who acts as you describe.

There are obviously some who support him, some who want to wait and see how the season ends, some who praise a good performance. But people who actually go from having wanted him out to wanting him to stay after a win? Havent noticed that myself. If you are inclined to name and shame I would be very interested.

Sparky Rhiwabon

If as expected we miss out on the top 4 this Sunday it wouldn't be surprising if his departure was announced very soon after, cup final or not.
There has been some talk that we can get rid of LVG without paying him off once top 4 is mathematically impossible - maybe that's why we are still waiting

marcomanmufc

Only an FA Cup Final win can save Louis now
Guaranteed that won't save him. The only thing which will save him will be Wudwud putting his neck on the line and guaranteeing we'll be successful with him in charge and will make £ with him in place. Simple thing is that an FA cup or League trophy does nothing for our bank ballance so won't be treated as success. Same as Arsenal top 4 is the be all and end all to our owners/investors. Its just plain wrong to see them as anything other than cold hard money people. They couldn't care less about the club as long as it makes money.

So basically if Ed decides to put his own reputation on the line, LVG won't be here after the final no matter the score. (unless we do get top 4 somehow!)

Top requests threadmarks

twitter thread suggester
I wish you would use threadmarks when changing the titles of threads :) Confusing searching for what caused the title change.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
We failed to make the UCL this season, if we fail again next season it means the Adidas deal clause will be triggered, cannot see that risk being taken.
United is driven by money and for that reason LVG will not be the manager next season IMO

iKeano

Fair enough. Thank you for being more respectful of my post than you propose being of our manager.
I hold no ill feeling towards you, whereas our manager... I have no time for frauds and charlatans!

Adebesi

I hold no ill feeling towards you, whereas our manager... I have no time for frauds and charlatans!
That's my point - I dont think he's a fraud or a charlatan, I think he's a well-meaning guy who has failed. Maybe he has become inept in his old age or he hasnt kept pace with the change in football. Maybe his philosophy doesnt work in this league. Maybe he was always incapable but he lucked out at some stages in his career. Whatever the reason, there is no malice in his failure. It is just failure. Like my opinion, in your opinion, is wrong - or, in other words, a failure.

I just dont see what we have to lose by being courteous to a departing manager who has done his best for the club. If I thought he had done anything intentionally to hurt the club, or shirked, or bad-mouthed or disrespected us in any way it would be different. But I see no upside to disrespecting a man who tried and messed up.

ottosec

We failed to make the UCL this season, if we fail again next season it means the Adidas deal clause will be triggered, cannot see that risk being taken.
United is driven by money and for that reason LVG will not be the manager next season IMO
I was just going to post something similar. There is probably 150M on the line just from the Adidas money plus the 30-40M we lose by not qualifying for CL, there is no way we start next season with anyone else but Mourinho.

Brophs

The One and Only
That's my point - I dont think he's a fraud or a charlatan, I think he's a well-meaning guy who has failed. Maybe he has become inept in his old age or he hasnt kept pace with the change in football. Maybe his philosophy doesnt work in this league. Maybe he was always incapable but he lucked out at some stages in his career. Whatever the reason, there is no malice in his failure. It is just failure. Like my opinion, in your opinion, is wrong - or, in other words, a failure.

I just dont see what we have to lose by being courteous to a departing manager who has done his best for the club. If I thought he had done anything intentionally to hurt the club, or shirked, or bad-mouthed or disrespected us in any way it would be different. But I see no upside to disrespecting a man who tried and messed up.
Indeed. I always had my doubts about him from the start, but the reality is he's made decisions that he felt were right and he was entitled to that confidence based on his history. Sadly it's readily apparent that it just hasn't worked. If he's kept on I don't believe it'll be down to the club believing he'll be a success in the final year, rather a determination to be seen as not being a sacking club. I mean, could even his most ardent of followers make the argument that he's a manager who'll have us in a title race next season?

Man-United

Why change the thread title on every fecking thread in the forum? Same with Arsenalmania one. Quite stupid thing who has started at the caf.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
Stupider decisions have been made.....

Adebesi

Indeed. I always had my doubts about him from the start, but the reality is he's made decisions that he felt were right and he was entitled to that confidence based on his history. Sadly it's readily apparent that it just hasn't worked. If he's kept on I don't believe it'll be down to the club believing he'll be a success in the final year, rather a determination to be seen as not being a sacking club. I mean, could even his most ardent of followers make the argument that he's a manager who'll have us in a title race next season?
I was not so prescient. And in fact, as is often the case, I was optimistic, in retrospect, longer than any evidence gave me cause to be. I wanted to believe in him, that was the trouble, so I turned a blind eye to the evidence of his ineptitude for too long.

In answer to your last question, I dont think many people could, though there is that one guy who has become a comedy hero in the LVG Out thread - though without checking, if I remember correctly, even he thinks the benefits of his term wont be experienced until he has gone... I think he was firmly in the "LVG sows the seeds for others' success" camp. i.e. at some point in the future we will probably come good again, and as long as there is still a player from this squad in that squad when it happens, we can put it down, at least in part, to LVG. i.e. bollocks.

(Edit: I was thinking of Santiago_KinderBueno, who hasnt posted in over a month and Im pretty sure has been hounded into deleting his profile, which goes to show the level of anti-Van Gaal consensus there is around here, when this poster's only crime was to be somewhat delusional in his support of our manager.)

As for your observation, I dont think he'll be kept on so I am not even thinking about that. There comes a point when you have to accept you are in a massive hole and the way to get out of it patently isnt to keep digging. Whatever you think about Woodward, there is no evidence he is a complete imbecile. Obviously if Van Gaal is still with us next season that statement will no longer be true.

Last edited:

entropy

Neither is he a fraud or a charlatan. I think it has more to do with us united fans struggling to adapt to the ebbs and flow of the pl. Arsenal fans experience it every year, so do the chelsea fans whenever they get a new manager. We are just so unused to it hence the extreme outrage from our fans. We just never had to experience this under ferguson which makes it even more harder for fans to get used to.

GiddyUp

He was relevant about 15 years ago, now his methods just don't translate. Molesting Spain aside the Dutch were muck but solid in the WC. I like Louis, he makes me laugh but if I had a choice I would like to see him as a pundit and not our manager. I will be to happy to have Mourinho to be pissed at Van Gaal. I want to draw a line under the last three seasons where I have been a horror to live with for at least two days a week from August to May.
Mourinho in, new back yard deck to lounge, Euros, Lollapalooza 16 in Chicago. This summer is going to be marvelous.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
He deserves to be treated with respect even if he has been a failure.
I don't think he does to be honest.

And it's mostly for the reason that he simply doesn't treat the players with respect. He has tossed aside players at a whim,embarassed them in public and generally stayed true to form based on his past.

Look at the way he treated people like Rafael,Januzaj,Chicharito and even RVP. Yes,perhaps they all deserved to be moved on,but there is a humane way of doing it.

He deserves the same kind of sendoff.

Clas Sified

This. Perfectly summed up how I feel. Think the abuse at LVG has gone way over the top recently tbh. Disliking the football and his coaching methods, fair enough, but bringing him up in discussions which should really not involve LVG just to slag him off, calling him every name under the sun, just doesn't sit right with me.

Just give the man a proper sendoff, and wish him a happy retirement, as we welcome Mourinho and a new era. No need to disrespect LVG, a legendary manager in his own right, in his last few games in football.

Steven Seagull

And it's mostly for the reason that he simply doesn't treat the players with respect. He has tossed aside players at a whim,embarassed them in public and generally stayed true to form based on his past.

Look at the way he treated people like Rafael,Januzaj,Chicharito and even RVP. Yes,perhaps they all deserved to be moved on,but there is a humane way of doing it.

Humane? What did he do that was so awful to them?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Well that's a rather odd way to put it.

He sold a few players, that's all.

I don't feel he deserves to be treated poorly just as I didn't think Moyes deserved the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.