BBC: United hold talks with Mourinho

Would you be happy to see Jose Mourinho become next United manager?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Nice meta game in this thread. What's the next title?

Jose Mourinho | Adagio for strings

hubbuh

I don't think he does to be honest.

And it's mostly for the reason that he simply doesn't treat the players with respect. He has tossed aside players at a whim,embarassed them in public and generally stayed true to form based on his past.

Look at the way he treated people like Rafael,Januzaj,Chicharito and even RVP. Yes,perhaps they all deserved to be moved on,but there is a humane way of doing it.

He deserves the same kind of sendoff.
Until the latter part of his reign, Fergie was similarly brutal in the way he cast off players, and they were his own he brought in and won loads with. There is no room for sentimentality in football, van Gaal was just doing what he thought needed to be done.

He's been unsuccessful here, let's not go over board though and get unnecessarily personal. If we are definitely getting rid, what is the point in being nasty towards him? City just gave Pellegrini an embarrassing sendoff and he won them the league. I can't imagine either of them feel particularly good about it.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
I try to avoid this thread but the title change tempted me back in :(

acrebo

If we get top 4 it'll be a gigantic let off at this point. City have handed us chance after chance and we've failed to capitalise on every single one.
I agree we'll have robbed a CL spot if we finish 4th but it's not true to say we've failed to capitalise on every chance City have given us. We may not have capitalised as much as we should have but, considering the gap is only 2 points, we've clearly closed the gap on City steadily since December.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Well that's a rather odd way to put it.

He sold a few players, that's all.

I don't feel he deserves to be treated poorly just as I didn't think Moyes deserved the same.
It wasnt the selling of the players that was the problem. I actually agreed with the selling of all them.

Its how he went about doing it.

With Rafael , there was the public criticism, then banishing him to the reserves.

With Van Pesie, a player that he had worked with for years, not even the courstesy of explaining to him why he was getting rid.

With Chicharito, there was that look.

Its not even at United. Most of his career has been littered with similar things, and that is a reason why there is a large number of players that hated him, even on a personal level.

K2K

Until the latter part of his reign, Fergie was similarly brutal in the way he cast off players, and they were his own he brought in and won loads with. There is no room for sentimentality in football, van Gaal was just doing what he thought needed to be done.

He's been unsuccessful here, let's not go over board though and get unnecessarily personal. If we are definitely getting rid, what is the point in being nasty towards him? City just gave Pellegrini an embarrassing sendoff and he won them the league. I can't imagine either of them feel particularly good about it.
Its not about sentimentality. But Van Gaal deserves no better than how he chooses to treat those around him for years.

prath92

I don't think he does to be honest.

And it's mostly for the reason that he simply doesn't treat the players with respect. He has tossed aside players at a whim,embarassed them in public and generally stayed true to form based on his past.

Look at the way he treated people like Rafael,Januzaj,Chicharito and even RVP. Yes,perhaps they all deserved to be moved on,but there is a humane way of doing it.

He deserves the same kind of sendoff.
Nah there's nothing inhuman about that. He told them they were not in his plans and they moved on. Which is exactly what any manager does. Nothing inhuman about that. Just part of his job. How many players has Fergie moved on without a thought? (ince, kanchelskis and all) it was his job to do what's best for the club and he did. Same with all managers.

Whatever he has done, he did give us some good memories. City had defeated us quite often even during last seasons of SAF. We have lost to them just once (the game Smalling acted like an idiot). We got quite a few good memories too. He definitely deserves some respect.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It wasnt the selling of the players that was the problem. I actually agreed with the selling of all them.

Its how he went about doing it.

With Rafael , there was the public criticism, then banishing him to the reserves.

With Van Pesie, a player that he had worked with for years, not even the courstesy of explaining to him why he was getting rid.

With Chicharito, there was that look.

Its not even at United. Most of his career has been littered with similar things, and that is a reason why there is a large number of players that hated him, even on a personal level.
When your argument is backed by things like "that look" you know it's not strong.

Taking tough decisions is part of being a manager. And what you see as harsh, which, to be noted is from the perspective of a supporter observing a failed LVG tenure, and hence seen that way, is what managers do pretty much all the time. If I were to strip away Sir Alex and Mourinho's successes away from your mind's image of them, you'd see a lot of their behavior as completely classless and "not the way to do it", but because you look at them from the gaze of admiration and respect, it's not an issue at all.

amolbhatia50k

Its not about sentimentality. But Van Gaal deserves no better than how he chooses to treat those around him for years.
I like this.

When we're struggling: "We need a manager who takes no bullshit, says it like it is and has a ruthless streak"

When that manager fails: "He's a classless man and let's treat him like shit on the way out as revenge for his sins"

amolbhatia50k

Zenit have, according to Sport-Express, met wit Jorge Mendes to discuss the possibility of Mourinho taking over after André Villas-Boas.
:lol: Zenit.

I can see Jose sitting on twitter punching his keyboard in anger with every tweet linking him to random clubs.

His head will explode if they go with Everton next.

RedRover

Van Gaal has repeatedly insulted the fans intelligence over the last year or so: Telling us the football isn't that bad, telling us we're playing well when we're not, telling us we were unlucky in games we've lost when we clear weren't - and even suggesting our ambitions for the club are too high.

This is the reason he's disliked by a lot of fans and they're entitled to feel that way.

It's not personal - I just think he's done a horrendous job and doesn't deserve to get plaudits for it, nor would I be standing up applauding him if and when he goes.

And frankly - as a man who clearly likes to speak his mind and does not shy away from criticising his players, he should appreciate the honesty of the fans.

amolbhatia50k

Van Gaal has repeatedly insulted the fans intelligence over the last year or so: Telling us the football isn't that bad, telling us we're playing well when we're not, telling us we were unlucky in games we've lost when we clear weren't - and even suggesting our ambitions for the club are too high.

This is the reason he's disliked by a lot of fans and they're entitled to feel that way.

It's not personal - I just think he's done a horrendous job and doesn't deserve to get plaudits for it, nor would I be standing up applauding him if and when he goes.

And frankly - as a man who clearly likes to speak his mind and does not shy away from criticising his players, he should appreciate the honesty of the fans.
Nothing wrong with that. Noone is saying he should be applauded and celebrated. But neither does a man in his 60's who has achieved a lot in the game, tried his best to succeed at your club but failed, need to be treated badly.

I'm not sure what there is to argue on this one.

entropy

You do realise our style of football during fergie's last few years was dull and boring. Going by your claim, fergie insulted us to by replacing ronaldo with Valencia, playing Cleverley in the midfield and constantly sticking with Welbeck.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Zenit have, according to Sport-Express, met wit Jorge Mendes to discuss the possibility of Mourinho taking over after André Villas-Boas.
Every time I see this thread bumped, Im expecting to see 'Done Dealio' type posts. Instead I have to put up with this rubbish!

Adebesi

Nothing wrong with that. Noone is saying he should be applauded and celebrated. But neither does a man in his 60's who has achieved a lot in the game, tried his best to succeed at your club but failed, need to be treated badly.

I'm not sure what there is to argue on this one.
On the contrary, I think the debate did originally centre on whether he should get applause and celebration on the final day of the season. Some people are saying they would not applaud. I dont know whether people would advocate jeers and boos, or some kind of a slow clap, or simply stony silence in response to any farewell speech he gave. Obviously if match going fans united to do something like that it would be kind of impressive in its own right. But my point was that I thought he would deserve a respectful, if not necessarily overly enthusiastic, applause, in gratitude for his efforts. Just because it would be the courteous thing to do.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
On the contrary, I think the debate did originally centre on whether he should get applause and celebration on the final day of the season. Some people are saying they would not applaud. I dont know whether people would advocate jeers and boos, or some kind of a slow clap, or simply stony silence in response to any farewell speech he gave. Obviously if match going fans united to do something like that it would be kind of impressive in its own right. But my point was that I thought he would deserve a respectful, if not necessarily overly enthusiastic, applause, in gratitude for his efforts. Just because it would be the courteous thing to do.
He may noy deserve thr vitriol, but he surely doesn't deserve an applaud/clap/hooray or even thanks for a job shitfully done

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
What? It doesn't make any grammatical sense to say "We would" in that sentence.
We should be hiring Jose/ some Tier A manger, but we would be hiring Roberto Martinez/ Steve Mcclaren

K2K

I like this.

When we're struggling: "We need a manager who takes no bullshit, says it like it is and has a ruthless streak"

When that manager fails: "He's a classless man and let's treat him like shit on the way out as revenge for his sins"
I dont like this.

If I had been on both sides , then It would be hypocritical of me.You make it sound like I have shifted on my opinion simply based on results. Others might have , but I havent, and I dont see how that applies argument has any bearing on what I said. The "we" argument is usually a poor one, because no one opinion here is held by everyone on this forum.

Van Gaal has generally been classless both in victory and defeat. Thats just him being him. Even in his great spells, things like this have always been the trend.

amolbhatia50k

I dont like this.

If I had been on both sides , then It would be hypocritical of me.You make it sound like I have shifted on my opinion simply based on results. Others might have , but I havent, and I dont see how that applies argument has any bearing on what I said. The "we" argument is usually a poor one, because no one opinion here is held by everyone on this forum.

Van Gaal has generally been classless both in victory and defeat. Thats just him being him. Even in his great spells, things like this have always been the trend.
Fair enough.

I might have presupposed that this was your line or argument before. But it sure was mine and that of many others.

I just don't believe in being classless to a 64 year old who has tried his best at my football club. It's not part of the way I personally think. And it's not a question of agreeing on/doing things like that, for me.

And personally, I don't think he has lacked class. He's a proud man that both A) says some silly things and B) says some silly things you sometimes have to say. It's fine by me. I have never really found an issue with his behavior at United. I actually find him mildly likeable. It's possibly because I view the man and the manager as two separate entities. I don't like doing that tedious thing where the guy is failing so now I'm going to micro-analyze everything he says very literally and be overly critical because he is doing badly.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Van Gaal has repeatedly insulted the fans intelligence over the last year or so:
What really got to me was when he wanted to lower our expectations and that we are a team who aspires to make 4th place. And that this was now his target.

I could understand if Everton or Spurs told their manager that we want you to try and get 4th. But MUFC should never be telling their manager to try and get 4th. They should tell him that your target is to compete for the title. Every year. No ifs. No buts. No excuses.

bri2013

Scan it in PDF ffs...it's even in colour that way...

We've got a fax machine in here, and I don't think it's ever been used...
You can't amend a received fax without tampering with it after it prints out. Whereas with a scanned document, it can be opened and tampered with before printing.

You can also get a time stamped printed receipt when sending a fax showing the document sent and the number it was sent to.

Status
Not open for further replies.