BBC: United hold talks with Mourinho

Would you be happy to see Jose Mourinho become next United manager?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

spwd

I don't think he does to be honest.

And it's mostly for the reason that he simply doesn't treat the players with respect. He has tossed aside players at a whim,embarassed them in public and generally stayed true to form based on his past.

Look at the way he treated people like Rafael,Januzaj,Chicharito and even RVP. Yes,perhaps they all deserved to be moved on,but there is a humane way of doing it.

He deserves the same kind of sendoff.
Couldn't agree more, if he had come out and taken responsibility for everything he's done wrong and the way he's treated players other than his favourites then possibly but he hasn't and he won't because he thinks everything he does is better than everyone else despite the obvious evidence it isn't, he's an arrogant ass and deserves absolutely nothing from us!

Esquire

Fair enough.

I might have presupposed that this was your line or argument before. But it sure was mine and that of many others.

I just don't believe in being classless to a 64 year old who has tried his best at my football club. It's not part of the way I personally think. And it's not a question of agreeing on/doing things like that, for me.

And personally, I don't think he has lacked class. He's a proud man that both A) says some silly things and B) says some silly things you sometimes have to say. It's fine by me. I have never really found an issue with his behavior at United. I actually find him mildly likeable. It's possibly because I view the man and the manager as two separate entities. I don't like doing that tedious thing where the guy is failing so now I'm going to micro-analyze everything he says very literally and be overly critical because he is doing badly.
OK I get this. I don't detest VG as a person. I don't know him, how could I? And I have read some posts on here by Cafers who have met him and confirm he is a likeable if eccentric man. However, I detest the job he has done as the United manager and the many faux pas he has committed whilst in this post. He has talked down to us and try to lower our expectations. We are United, we should not be scrappy fro 4th and be happy about it. I do not buy the rebuilding argument. How many years does it take - certainly not 3 years.

RedRover

Nothing wrong with that. Noone is saying he should be applauded and celebrated. But neither does a man in his 60's who has achieved a lot in the game, tried his best to succeed at your club but failed, need to be treated badly.

I'm not sure what there is to argue on this one.
It depends what you mean by "badly".

The worst fans can do is boo him when given the chance, and if they do that's their prerogative.

His achievements at other clubs mean nothing to fans here.

The biggest factor for me is his clear disregard for the fans in terms of how he's conducted himself. His failure to acknowledge what's staring us all the face and his general arrogance is shocking and is never going to endear him to fans who spend their hard earned cash to watch the garbage he's persistently served up.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I don't understand what you're getting at. There is no way we are hiring a manager in the Martinez/McClaren caliber.
I don't think we will hire a tier A manager- Mou is the only one remaining and had he been contacted, we wouldn't have listened to LVG regarding transfer of Renato Sanches and Mendes most likely would have delayed the contract negotiations till Mou decides whether he wants him or not.

LeftyBlaster

I don't think we will hire a tier A manager- Mou is the only one remaining and had he been contacted, we wouldn't have listened to LVG regarding transfer of Renato Sanches and Mendes most likely would have delayed the contract negotiations till Mou decides whether he wants him or not.
That may be, but Jose has also stated very confidently that he will be working again in July which coincides with the start of next season. Additionally, he hasn't been concretely linked with anyone else but us, and even then he hasn't once denied the United job link. Besides, the whole LVG-Sanches thing is probably to save face.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Fair enough.

I might have presupposed that this was your line or argument before. But it sure was mine and that of many others.

I just don't believe in being classless to a 64 year old who has tried his best at my football club. It's not part of the way I personally think. And it's not a question of agreeing on/doing things like that, for me.

And personally, I don't think he has lacked class. He's a proud man that both A) says some silly things and B) says some silly things you sometimes have to say. It's fine by me. I have never really found an issue with his behavior at United. I actually find him mildly likeable. It's possibly because I view the man and the manager as two separate entities. I don't like doing that tedious thing where the guy is failing so now I'm going to micro-analyze everything he says very literally and be overly critical because he is doing badly.
My disdain for Van Gaal isn't about poor results. I'd never dislike someone for simply being woeful at their job.

You mentioned ruthlessness previously,but in my opinion ,there is a line between that and public humiliation of some of his players. If he fell out with them ,and kept that within the dressing room,then fine. But Van Gaal usually goes above and beyond,sometimes even having unnecessary digs at players long after he's even let them go.

His unwarranted narcisism and arrogance is also an annoying trait of his. That is a characteristic of Van Gaal that extended even outside his management career(See his Koeman feud for example)

His patronising attitude towards the fans and general lack of accountability are further traits of his that adds to that perfect cocktail of a very unlikeable man. But thats my opinion of him,and I respect yours.

Mr. Meeseeks

I don't understand why they're not announcing the deal. Pellegrini also has a contract that expires in 2017 but Man City didn't have any qualms about announcing Guardiola as soon as he became available. Strange days indeed when Man City are a seemingly better run club than us.

RedRover

You do realise our style of football during fergie's last few years was dull and boring. Going by your claim, fergie insulted us to by replacing ronaldo with Valencia, playing Cleverley in the midfield and constantly sticking with Welbeck.
I'm sick to death of hearing this rubbish - as if by criticising Van Gaal you're assumed to expect us to play like Barcelona every week. For clarity I do not expect this.

We did not play a scintillating brand of football under Fergie - but we never lacked effort, we played with tempo, mostly had round pegs in round holes and the players were not shackled like they have been repeatedly under Van Gaal.

He has failed to deliver results or performances while producing the worst brand of football I've ever seen us play.

All this despite having free reign to do as he liked in changing the squad and having ten times the money Fergie had in his latter years.

Put simply - did I expect him to sweep all before him with flowing, attacking football week after week? No. Do I expect him to be able to produce better than he has? Yes.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
That may be, but Jose has also stated very confidently that he will be working again in July which coincides with the start of next season. Additionally, he hasn't been concretely linked with anyone else but us, and even then he hasn't once denied the United job link. Besides, the whole LVG-Sanches thing is probably to save face.
I may be pessimistic while saying this, but we do get linked with every player and every manager when our manager is under pressure. What I mean is, Mou may have held talks with Real/Inter or maybe even PSG. All I want is a Tier-A manager- Be it Mou or someone else

Judas

Open to offers
I don't understand why they're not announcing the deal. Pellegrini also has a contract that expires in 2017 but Man City didn't have any qualms about announcing Guardiola as soon as he became available. Strange days indeed when Man City are a seemingly better run club than us.
Are you having a laugh? Have you watched City since the announcement. There's a reason everyone in football has said doing what they did was foolish.

RedRover

What really got to me was when he wanted to lower our expectations and that we are a team who aspires to make 4th place. And that this was now his target.

I could understand if Everton or Spurs told their manager that we want you to try and get 4th. But MUFC should never be telling their manager to try and get 4th. They should tell him that your target is to compete for the title. Every year. No ifs. No buts. No excuses.
It's a disgrace. He's out of his depth and too arrogant to admit it.

If he resigned at the end of the year is at least have some respect for him. I can't abide his attitude that the world is wrong and he's right. That's why this has failed - a past it manager given far too long by the board.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
When it was announced, their form in the league went steadily worse. If there were better teams in fifth/sixth City probably wouldn't be in the CL next season.

Rednotdead

Maybe there isn't a deal to announce.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
For me, the worst thing about LVG's opinions is his tendency to be precious about the perception of his personal reputation, even to the point of making his battle with journalists a regular, vain and tedious theme of Manchester United press conferences. I only wish he was so desperately keen to protect his players...

Bojan11

When it was announced, their form in the league went steadily worse. If there were better teams in fifth/sixth City probably wouldn't be in the CL next season.
And Bayern won a treble after announcing Pep.

It makes no difference. It highly depends on your squad and City squad before Pep was announced were appalling in big games.

Deleted member 101472

I remember when I first joined here, this vote was around 50/50 split...Seems like a lot of people must have changed their vote.

Can I ask why?

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I remember when I first joined here, this vote was around 50/50 split...Seems like a lot of people must have changed their vote.

Can I ask why?
Over the season, the LVG straws began to outweigh our camels' backs.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
And Bayern won a treble after announcing Pep.

It makes no difference. It highly depends on your squad and City squad before Pep was announced were appalling in big games.
Ye I agree. I think it's a very easy excuse for City and it's a load of bollocks.

The De Bruyne injury days before played a much bigger part.

Bojan11

Can I ask why?
Pep and Ancelotti got snapped up by other clubs.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Couldn't agree more, if he had come out and taken responsibility for everything he's done wrong and the way he's treated players other than his favourites then possibly but he hasn't and he won't because he thinks everything he does is better than everyone else despite the obvious evidence it isn't, he's an arrogant ass and deserves absolutely nothing from us!
It's that arrogance that annoys. I guess I just am not big fan of arrogant people,especially those that love to pass on the blame to others .

I really won't be sad to see him go.

entropy

I'm sick to death of hearing this rubbish - as if by criticising Van Gaal you're assumed to expect us to play like Barcelona every week. For clarity I do not expect this.

We did not play a scintillating brand of football under Fergie - but we never lacked effort, we played with tempo, mostly had round pegs in round holes and the players were not shackled like they have been repeatedly under Van Gaal.

He has failed to deliver results or performances while producing the worst brand of football I've ever seen us play.

All this despite having free reign to do as he liked in changing the squad and having ten times the money Fergie had in his latter years.

Put simply - did I expect him to sweep all before him with flowing, attacking football week after week? No. Do I expect him to be able to produce better than he has? Yes.
Don't give me this vain crap about wanting "a better brand of football" or "we don't have to play like barcelona every week". If anything, you do not have the patience for either. You are just waiting to nitpick about every little thing he says or does. If anything, our style of play has been lot better in the last month since december. But don't let that stop you from moaning on and on...

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
Don't give me this vain crap about wanting "a better brand of football" or "we don't have to play like barcelona every week". If anything, you do not have the patience for either. You are just waiting to nitpick about every little thing he says or does. If anything, our style of play has been lot better in the last month since december. But don't let that stop you from moaning on and on...
big fecking deal. he can nitpick all he wants, LVG has been a failure for us and if missing out on the CL isn't enough of a reason for you to see that, absolutely nothing will.

pacifictheme

Agree with this.

Also, bored of people going on about cleverly and welbeck. Both won the league and contributed heavily.

Proved to be better than half the crap we currently have. Would i swap depay and bastian for them? Absolutely.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Because it doesn't exist ?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Agree with this.

Also, bored of people going on about cleverly and welbeck. Both won the league and contributed heavily.

Proved to be better than half the crap we currently have. Would i swap depay and bastian for them? Absolutely.
You'd swap Schweinsteiger for Cleverley ? Really ?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
big fecking deal. he can nitpick all he wants, LVG has been a failure for us and if missing out on the CL isn't enough of a reason for you to see that, absolutely nothing will.
You'll hate Mourinho when the first thing he does is put Januzaj out of his misery.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Why on earth would you want us to act in the extremely unprofessional, disrespectful way those mugs did. This club has far more class than than those jokers. They chewed him up and spat him out like nothing and their form has suffered.

Also a deal hasn't been announced because maybe.....just maybe there isn't any deal to announce as of yet.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
That didn't work too well, though, did it? Their form went to crap fast. We have two games left, one being a cup final. Deal won't be announced until after that, or on that day, if the deal is even being done.

owsterix

The tabloids are once again trumpeting that a Zlatan move to United is imminent. I don't see him wanting to play under LVG, but he sure seem to have a soft spot for Mourinho. It's probably a package deal, both or neither, and I must say that the thought of them at United makes me extremely excited.

Failure would simply not be an option with these two at the club.

Stacks

Until the latter part of his reign, Fergie was similarly brutal in the way he cast off players, and they were his own he brought in and won loads with. There is no room for sentimentality in football, van Gaal was just doing what he thought needed to be done.

He's been unsuccessful here, let's not go over board though and get unnecessarily personal. If we are definitely getting rid, what is the point in being nasty towards him? City just gave Pellegrini an embarrassing sendoff and he won them the league. I can't imagine either of them feel particularly good about it.
The problem is Van Gaal's attitude. He has fed us with delusion and lies. He has tried to lower our expectations as if we are some idiot fans who know nothing about football and Man United potential. I feel he disrespects the club a bit, regarding our stature and what we deserve as a club which always seem to be what ever is the limit of his ability. Its all lies and delusion. He has managed big clubs before so he knows the score yet has continued to blow smoke in our faces rather arrogantly. No love from me I'm afraid and I bet he reads this and sheds a tear right before kick off tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.