BBC: United hold talks with Mourinho

Would you be happy to see Jose Mourinho become next United manager?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Natener

Fair enough, different perspective. I'd like to think Mourinho if/when he arrives wants to stay our club beyond 3 years. And if that's the case he shouldn't be just looking at us as a "project". I just don't appreciate the buzzword in general as it sucks out the character of a club by standardising all of them under one pot - project.
Come on, it's just an expression. At least he's excited by the 'ambitious project' and not thinking expectations are too high like some others. :p

Minimalist

(Assuming Mourinho does take over) I still think this is the worst way we could have went about it - waiting this long, since Xmas essentially.

Van Gaal should have at least said he was retiring a few days back. Then we should have quickly announced Mourinho as the successor.

The idea that we're going to wait until after Van Gaal potentially wins the FA Cup and then announce it is just the worst possibly timing to do so. If Van Gaal gets booted, he's bound to know by now behind the scenes - why keep everyone waiting? There's just this depressing cloud over the club at present that could quickly be alleviated by announcing what the future plan is.

LonelyFire

(Assuming Mourinho does take over) I still think this is the worst way we could have went about it - waiting this long, since Xmas essentially.

Van Gaal should have at least said he was retiring a few days back. Then we should have quickly announced Mourinho as the successor.

The idea that we're going to wait until after Van Gaal potentially wins the FA Cup and then announce it is just the worst possibly timing to do so. If Van Gaal gets booted, he's bound to know by now behind the scenes - why keep everyone waiting? There's just this depressing cloud over the club at present that could quickly be alleviated by announcing what the future plan is.
Again, you do not know the circumstances behind Mourinho's exit agreement from Chelsea. It is entirely plausible that he could not start (without compensation being paid) prior to 1st July 2016.

Why announce anything before the clubs biggest game of the season? It would be silly to do it before Saturday.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

We are only talking about a week now, also we saw how City's decision to announce Guardiola early ended their title challenge and almost saw them fall out of the top 4.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
Lots of chatter locally that it's done. People can't keep their mouth shut (inc me obviously) but the word I'm hearing is that LVG is a goner.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
I disrespectfully agree.
I don't think that's particularly true. Look at Mourinho's first team at Chelsea. It was still the same side that Ancelotti and Di Matteo had success with, with a few additions here and there.

There's no reason why that can't be replicated at United.

Get a young-ish spine of quality players and then as long as you are able to identify the right manager every 3-4 years, the team's performances shouldn't fluctuate. Look at Madrid - they sacked their manager halfway through the season but still finished 2nd and are in the CL final.

Sweet Square

I image your fun at Christmas.

Last edited:

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I'm in the middle of exams right now so a Mourinho announcement would be ace :angel:

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'

nah i'm afraid i disagree here. I think like you (and everyone) that LVG should have been sacked after Christmas, that being said, despite popular opinion i think the club showed real balls to keep LVG in till the end of the season and it almost paid off by a small upturn in form allowing us to get close to top 4 and get in an FA cup final. I still firmly believe that LVG is a fraud and this squad should have been challenging much more fiercely but im not sure we had an abundance of options over january that could come in and help the situation.

Ive long been of the opinion that Mourinho is a done deal but that the club want to handle this professionally and with a higher level of class. Thats why i think they will hold off the announcement until the final ball has been kicked. If LVG wins the cup then thats even better, we can announce that LVG and Manchester Utd have agreed to separate by mutual consent, and we can save face by saying we aren't a sacking club. I know that might sound stupid to alot of people but we can clearly see that Manchester Utd wants to create an image that we aren't like other clubs. We have all suffered this year, but LVG deserves his moment, despite what others say i think hes build a young and strong squad that is ready to compete just as long as we get in the correct manager next.

Scholes played centre mid and as a support striker he shat on Mata for dynamism and energy. Just a better player in every sense.

That match highlights what a legendary player he could be in such illustrious company. Ran the show for us, despite us being on the losing side.. he didn't hide, he kept wanting the ball, kept moving non stop, kept us going forwards.

As for Sheringham, he was a striker and a part of a quartet, it is not remotely comparable. We had a side full of world class players so we could afford to keep Sheringham to offer us something different, add abit of guile to our usually gung ho energetic style of football... he wasn't the default setting or the guy we built a team around. Nor did we spend £40m on him.

He is not a good comparison to make. Mata would come off the bench in the 99 side and be a decent squad player but he wouldn't dislodge any of Beckham, Scholes, Keane, Giggs.. or the front two. He wouldn't do that in the 08 side either. He is not good enough, end of as a first team player for a side which aspires to be the creme de le creme of England and Europe.
Goodness me, that passing it just wonderful to watch for starved fans like ourselves. Could watch that stuff for hours.

Is that the word in Barcelona yeah?
:lol:

LonelyFire

And how do you know this?

I'm from Manchester.

I'm saying no more just passing on that the drums are beating pretty loud now. Take it or leave it.
Because its not being carried by any local journalists. There is absolutely nothing coming from the club on this. The story has been as is since January-February time and it isn't going to change until after Saturday. People both think/want to think a change is coming, therefore, these stories start.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
So we decided that A Bola is a reputable outlet judging by the title then.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Only a "big surprise", eh? Maybe they think he'll stay on if we beat Palace as well.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
Lots of chatter locally that it's done. People can't keep their mouth shut (inc me obviously) but the word I'm hearing is that LVG is a goner.
You must be Woody's son as locally can only mean in the board (which you obviously not on) or live at his house?

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Fergie bought and played Kagawa, so I'm not sure that's true at all.
Funnily enough Kagawa plays at a faster pace than Mata, and is faster himself.

I like Mata the guy (from what we see of him) and I appreciate how hard he works in an unnatural position, but an in form and settled Shinji is more the type of player I would prefer to see at United than an in form, settled Mata.

But Kagawa never settled here.

You must be Woody's son as locally can only mean in the board (which you obviously not on) or live at his house?
It's always funny when people located somewhere say that.

"Mate I'm here in a pub in Madrid, and from the way people are talking we're definitely getting Ronaldo back this summer. The bartender giving me the wrong drink also suggests DDG is staying. I can't say much more than that. Don't quote me on it, but trust me, it's happening"

itso 7

Again, you do not know the circumstances behind Mourinho's exit agreement from Chelsea. It is entirely plausible that he could not start (without compensation being paid) prior to 1st July 2016.

Why announce anything before the clubs biggest game of the season? It would be silly to do it before Saturday.
Biggest game of the season? Mate the most important game of the season was at West Ham and Van Gaal wet the bed on that one. The F.A Cup was once a season defining trophy, is a trophy I'd like us to win because its been so long since we last won it but it in no way acts as a measure of progression nor should the club stop doing crucial things like clarifying the management situation on its account.

LonelyFire

Biggest game of the season? Mate the most important game of the season was at West Ham and Van Gaal wet the bed on that one. The F.A Cup was once a season defining trophy, is a trophy I'd like us to win because its been so long since we last won it but it in no way acts as a measure of progression nor should the club stop doing crucial things like clarifying the management situation on its account.
I dont disagree on the West Ham front but this is a chance to win a trophy - your opinion of the significance of the trophy is irrelevant, its a final therefore its significant. To announce anything on the lead up to that would be moronic.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I dont disagree on the West Ham front but this is a chance to win a trophy - your opinion of the significance of the trophy is irrelevant, its a final therefore its significant. To announce anything on the lead up to that would be moronic.
To think announcing a sack before the game has any negative impact on player performance is moronic. As you said, it's a final. The players will try their best regardless.

binary bot
It's always funny when people located somewhere say that.

"Mate I'm here in a pub in Madrid, and from the way people are talking we're definitely getting Ronaldo back this summer. The bartender giving me the wrong drink also suggests DDG is staying. I can't say much more than that. Don't quote me on it, but trust me, it's happening"
People that work for United don't live secluded from everyone else. They have friends and family that are loose lipped just like everyone else. It's not surprising that fans have connections to people within the club. How do you think journalists get their stories?

Anyway this has seemed done to me for ages, the quietness on Mourinhos front says it all really. He'd be shopping himself around Europe if something wasn't already arranged.

Status
Not open for further replies.