Bebe

FromTheBench

Do wonder who all are training with the first team and who all are training with the U21's.

Have barely gotten any pics either.

khoazany

Do wonder who all are training with the first team and who all are training with the U21's.

Have barely gotten any pics either.
Yeah but if Daily Mail is to be trusted Bebe is/was training with the first team so I suppose Petrucci and Varela also did since they were taking photos together.

Pre-season training sessions usually involve many U21s players so not a surprise.Especially at this time when we're short of number due to WC.

Litch

Footballs strange. Not sure we've seen the last of him here. Do feel there's a bit of a 'Roy of the Rovers' element to this.....

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Would be a bit daft to get rid of him just as his career is hitting stride. I'm fairly confident LvG may see it the same way.

Santos J

He's probably off to Benfica, especially after coming out and saying he'd like to go there.

Not a bad move, having watched him all season, regardless of how well he did at Pacos it's pretty evident he isn't good enough for us.

ottosec

Hopefully he will be in the tour and can impress LVG. Still haven't lost hope! :D

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Would be a bit daft to get rid of him just as his career is hitting stride. I'm fairly confident LvG may see it the same way.
The daft thing was you buying him in the first place, not getting rid now.

I think it's obvious he's not talented enough for Manchester United. Doesn't mean he's useless, but he probably can't aspire to much more than being a regularly used sub at Porto or Benfica (some sort of Varela role perhaps), or a starter at somewhere like Braga. And even that I don't think it's a guarantee.

Plenty of players have seasons like his at Paços level, it would be unthinkable for you to go for most of them. Licá did as good or better the season before at Estoril and was miserable at Porto.

I think the last thing he needs right now is renewed hopes and shattered dreams again. He seems to have found his level and stability, after what must have been a roller coaster of a start to a professional career (emotionally). If he's to climb in his career it should be in a steady fashion, one step at a time.

I think United can cash in on him for something like 2m, for a club like Benfica or another European at a similar level. That's what you'd be commenting on for any other player of the sort. This desire to give him another chance is just sentimental stuff, because he's done nowhere good enough to deserve it.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
The daft thing was you buying him in the first place, not getting rid now.

I think it's obvious he's not talented enough for Manchester United. Doesn't mean he's useless, but he probably can't aspire to much more than being a regularly used sub at Porto or Benfica (some sort of Varela role perhaps), or a starter at somewhere like Braga. And even that I don't think it's a guarantee.

Plenty of players have seasons like his at Paços level, it would be unthinkable for you to go for most of them. Licá did as good or better the season before at Estoril and was miserable at Porto.

I think the last thing he needs right now is renewed hopes and shattered dreams again. He seems to have found his level and stability, after what must have been a roller coaster of a start to a professional career (emotionally). If he's to climb in his career it should be in a steady fashion, one step at a time.

I think United can cash in on him for something like 2m, for a club like Benfica or another European at a similar level. That's what you'd be commenting on for any other player of the sort. This desire to give him another chance is just sentimental stuff, because he's done nowhere good enough to deserve it.
I agree that there is a degree of sentimentality there, but he actually should be given a chance like all players at the club, if or before we decide to move him on. He has clearly developed since when we bought him and would probably be significantly further along if not for his injury year at Besiktas. I'd prefer LvG have a chance to fully evaluate him along with the rest of the players, rather than blindly moving him along before they even meet.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
I agree that there is a degree of sentimentality there, but he actually should be given a chance like all players at the club, if or before we decide to move him on. He has clearly developed since when we bought him and would probably be significantly further along if not for his injury year at Besiktas. I'd prefer LvG have a chance to fully evaluate him along with the rest of the players, rather than blindly moving him along before they even meet.
Are you of the same opinion towards every player you have out on loan, and who are doing reasonably well at their new found clubs irrespective of the gap between that level and United? I know at Porto that would be near impossible logistically, so many are the players we have out on loan.

And I'll have to think a long long time before I can think of a player that was playing at Rio Ave or Paços at 24 and later succeeded at a United/Bayern/Madrid sort of club. There was a reason why his transfer was shocking. It was obvious that no matter how much he could iron out his game he would never justify his signing. He has improved, but I think that was him finding some peace of mind and playing his football. His improvement is in relation to those insane crossing shows, not in relation to what he had shown before (good enough for Guimarães, a decent club, and for the National Team U's).

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Are you of the same opinion towards every player you have out on loan, and who are doing reasonably well at their new found clubs irrespective of the gap between that level and United? I know at Porto that would be near impossible logistically, so many are the players we have out on loan.

And I'll have to think a long long time before I can think of a player that was playing at Rio Ave or Paços at 24 and later succeeded at a United/Bayern/Madrid sort of club. There was a reason why his transfer was shocking. It was obvious that no matter how much he could iron out his game he would never justify his signing. He has improved, but I think that was him finding some peace of mind and playing his football. His improvement is in relation to those insane crossing shows, not in relation to what he had shown before (good enough for Guimarães, a decent club, and for the National Team U's).
Well that is part of the logic of sending players on loan in the first place isn't it - to afford them a chance to develop as players in competitive first team situations. So in that regard, it would be fair to treat Bebe with the same logic that was applied to the likes of Cleverley, Welbeck and others.

ThanksBoss26

If the quotes attributed to Bebe today are genuine, I think he's heading back to Portugal permanently this summer. If van Gaal wishes to take a look on the tour and thinks he can contribute, then great. But I'm not convinced it'll happen and at the age of 24 and with just one year left on his contract, I think it's the right time to move him on.

It's important to get another two or three players in, but this summer it's also vital to get rid of a lot of the deadwood. If the likes of Bebe stays around, it might block the path of, for example, Lingard or Lawrence. If he's better than them then that's fine, but is a 24 year old Bebe really a better prospect than either of those two players?

We need to be ruthless with shipping players out. If he was 19 it might be different, but I think it's time for Bebe to go. Including fringe players like Macheda and Giggs' retirement, Evra would be the sixth first team squad member to leave this summer. By the end of the window, I'd expect that figure to probably double.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
If the quotes attributed to Bebe today are genuine, I think he's heading back to Portugal permanently this summer. If van Gaal wishes to take a look on the tour and thinks he can contribute, then great. But I'm not convinced it'll happen and at the age of 24 and with just one year left on his contract, I think it's the right time to move him on.

It's important to get another two or three players in, but this summer it's also vital to get rid of a lot of the deadwood. If the likes of Bebe stays around, it might block the path of, for example, Lingard or Lawrence. If he's better than them then that's fine, but is a 24 year old Bebe really a better prospect than either of those two players?

We need to be ruthless with shipping players out. If he was 19 it might be different, but I think it's time for Bebe to go. Including fringe players like Macheda and Giggs' retirement, Evra would be the sixth first team squad member to leave this summer. By the end of the window, I'd expect that figure to probably double.
We would need to buy a few players before letting 6 more go. I'm guessing Young, Anderson, Fellaini, Hernandez, Nani, and Zaha will be on the chopping block. Not sure how selling all of them would work in terms of squad depth and chemistry, but that's for LvG to sort out.

LARulz

Hope we don't sell him without him showing Van Gaal what he can do. Probably would still go but I have faith he'll come good, just wish it was here.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Hope we don't sell him without him showing Van Gaal what he can do. Probably would still go but I have faith he'll come good, just wish it was here.
Can definitely see him becoming a late bloomer and doing well elsewhere. He's had no football education really, hence the rawness. With a few years experience i could see him being a half decent player somewhere, but we just don't have the time to do that.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Fair play to him. When he first came to United he was a joke and seemed like he wasn't willing to put the effort in, but the loan moves must have been a kick up the backside/maybe he was and is more comfortable in Portugal? He could go on to have a good career after looking like he'd waste the opportunities given to him.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Can definitely see him becoming a late bloomer and doing well elsewhere. He's had no football education really, hence the rawness. With a few years experience i could see him being a half decent player somewhere, but we just don't have the time to do that.
Indeed. He won't ever break through here with our current crop of strikers so it's best for his career to move on. Benfica are after all a terrific club.

Midnight1811

Hmm, I suspected there was something wrong with the Bebe deal. 7 mil, probs went straight to the agent Jorge Mendes. Although Fergie complained about agents, if he didn't have a few on his side it would hinder future deals possibly.

m1y2

hes got a great stature to build on and is talented enough to be a decent footballer after all but to compete for a spot in our team it is too late for him. Should have started to work earlier on his talent. If he was 19 Id say wow, but hes no longer teenager.. in the end he isnt as floppy as he seemed when he arrived.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Fair play to him. When he first came to United he was a joke and seemed like he wasn't willing to put the effort in, but the loan moves must have been a kick up the backside/maybe he was and is more comfortable in Portugal? He could go on to have a good career after looking like he'd waste the opportunities given to him.
Was a huge change for him to come to United and he probably wasn't that comfortable/ready. The first loan move bombed (don't think Turkey was the best place to send him... should have let him go back to Portugal from the first loan move where he'd be more comfortable and if that went well to try and integrate him into English football).

But yeah, the past year he seems to have got his head straight. Bit of a shame it's too late for him to make it here but I think he'll have a good career in Portugal.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Glad for Bebe. He will find a home, at last. Although there goes the chance he could be our black Reus.

Santos J

Indeed. He won't ever break through here with our current crop of strikers so it's best for his career to move on. Benfica are after all a terrific club.
He's a winger not a striker.

But yeah, it's a good move for him I suppose, he'll be nothing more than a squad player for them though. Had a good season by all means but having watched him all year it's pretty evident he'd never make it here.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
He's a winger not a striker.

But yeah, it's a good move for him I suppose, he'll be nothing more than a squad player for them though. Had a good season by all means but having watched him all year it's pretty evident he'd never make it here.
Thought he played upfront last season on loan?

LARulz

Very much so. That has been my defence of him his entire time here. He has had no football training in terms of tactics etc, came to one of the biggest clubs in the world with players who from the age of 14 thought it was second nature to them. He had to start late but his raw talents I think were all there, speed, strength and power shot.

I agree we can't keep him for the sake of it but wish he gets a chance to prove to Van Gaal he can make it. If he gets the chance and Van Gaal sells then I can't complain.

NoWinNoFee

kietotheworld mk2
Have a feeling we are going to look on Bebe in 1 or 2 years time and regret it if we sell him.

Watching videos of him last season, I'd like him to come on tour with us before the powers that be make a decision on selling him or not.