Benitez to Chelsea Discussion & Sack watch

Crustanoid

I guess he'll probably end their careers by playing them out of position and rotating them to death if they piss him off. He's pretty good at destroying young player's potential as well

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Well it's not as if Rafa would be entering into this appointment oblivious of Abramovich's track record with coaches.

Benitez will have to go some for this to be anything other than a win-win, even if this only lasts six months. Nobody's expecting them to retain the CL and the Premiership is competitive enough right now.

The publicity of being at a big club again after his time out of the game, puts him back on the radar for club presidents, owners e.t.c.

He has little to no cache with the Chelsea support at this moment, so he can't attempt to play a battle of wills with the board which in any case is a rather different dynamic to that of Liverpool's. Therefore any allusions to such taking place don't stand up to scrutiny as i see things.

When compared to Di Matteo i think it is likely an improvement in the short term.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
Am I the only one to think that Benitez could be of some use with all that financial clout behind him?

Varun

Staff
Will be great for us because am sure he'l feck everything up.

That said, it isnt confirmed yet right? The thread title confused me.

Varun

Staff
Am I the only one to think that Benitez could be of some use with all that financial clout behind him?
I dont think Chelsea will spend much again. He'l have to work with what he has.

The only thing i'd say is that he got his pool side organised so he might do well with the chelsea defence.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
What, you mean like buying 60 average Spanish players instead of 30?
:lol: Nah, I don't actually think of him as that bad of manger tbh. Not the best by no stretch, but certainly not bad, and better than Reberto De Matteo. (IMO)

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
The only thing i'd say is that he got his pool side organised so he might do well with the chelsea defence.
Defensive organisation or the lack thereof has been one of the Chelsea's main weaknesses under Di Miatteo, there is sense on that head.

So maybe we'll see a less flamboyant attack [although only up to a point bearing in mind the players available] and a somewhat more dogged defence.

Alternatively it turns into a mess. *shrugs*

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Rafa must be salivating at the prospect of reuniting with Torres and managing players like Oscar and Hazard. Given his and Roman's personalities, I could see him getting sacked before he even signs.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
On the contrary he may make a good first impression with Abramovic and be given the unlimited funding he wasn't afforded at Liverpool. Could be a master stroke if he's allowed to coach properly.
He spent a pretty tidy sum while at Liverpool, despite what Liverpool fans would have you believe...

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
Isn't Pep Guardiola free? It would surprise me if it wasn't him that is at the top of Abramovic's list.

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
Takes two to tango...Pep would be wary of moving to a club which has such a fickle boss.
Listening to him speak about football and his ideals etc I doubt Chelsea are a club that would interest him..
You never know, it is a top club in the best competition in the world and his English is good. I think he'd prefer managing a top club in the EPL than a club in Italy or another club in Spain other than his beloved Barca. It would be interesting to see what he could do with them.

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
There has to be something wrong with Pep if he left Barcelona only to end up at Chelsea under Roman.

Suedesi

Serious question:

If he is appointed and the Chavs win the title this year, does that make him a top quality manager, the standard which Liverpool fans claim he is, but which we Manchester United fans cannot see?
Lot of ifs there.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
At an ordinary club, Benitez might do well; but Chelsea aren't ordinary, so he may run into a problem like the one he had at Inter: egotistical big-name players who don't like being told what to do. Before very long, they might be whispering to journalists about 'senior players not understanding or liking Benitez's training/tactics'. In short, he would need an outstanding start in order to get people onside.

gaz1185

Pep has already ruled out cutting short his 'year out' to take the Chelsea job. I think the most likely scenario is Benitez will take over tonight, his odds are at 1/7-1/8 now at certain bookmakers, BUT I can't see Benitez being a full time solution if you ask me.

I see Benitez taking the reigns for the rest of the season until Pep is ready to take control, ready to go next season with a full transfer budget!

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Bet he blames the owner during his unveiling. ;)

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
At an ordinary club, Benitez might do well; but Chelsea aren't ordinary, so he may run into a problem like the one he had at Inter: egotistical big-name players who don't like being told what to do. Before very long, they might be whispering to journalists about 'senior players not understanding or liking Benitez's training/tactics'. In short, he would need an outstanding start in order to get people onside.
This is the main problem of signing Benitez on a short term contract. If they do, there is simply no way they could keep that facht quiet. And so, you have a dressing room of players who know this boss will not be there at the end of the season, ie, he can't massively impact their employment with the club by selling them.

Which would put the Chavs into the sort of position we found ourselves in when SAF announced his intention to retire before famously and happily for us, going back on his initial decision. Its folklore now as to what a huge detrimental effect this knowledge had on our players, Dwight Yorke's demise being the most public manifestation of that.

Im not surprised at all that de Matteo has been relieved of his duties. How he got the job in the first place was a very dubious circumstance, and ECL winner not withstanding, installing him as full time manager at the end of last season was clearly an emotionally driven decision.

But to sack him now, only to replace him with another stop gap, with no cast iron guarantee that a desired candidate will take over in the summer (Guardiola may agree now but renege later; as Ronaldo says 'the future - who knows?'), the choice to sack de Matteo now seems very flawed thinking.

What happens if Benitez comes in, and wins a domestic treble? What is he insists on playing a system of football diametrically opposite to what the new manager in the summer will want to play.

Im sure the Chav board have a master strategy that makes sense to them, but I can't see it yet.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Pep has already ruled out cutting short his 'year out' to take the Chelsea job. I think the most likely scenario is Benitez will take over tonight, his odds are at 1/7-1/8 now at certain bookmakers, BUT I can't see Benitez being a full time solution if you ask me.

I see Benitez taking the reigns for the rest of the season until Pep is ready to take control, ready to go next season with a full transfer budget!
But then why get rid of de Matteo? Benitez offers no certainty whatsoever that he can make the more competitive in the PL. And the squad is easily good enough to get into the top 3 this year whoever manages them.

Why not just have kept de Matteo and got rid of him at seasons end?