Benjamin Sesko | Salzburg | Leipzig

mav_9me

He may be fine as a project signing in addition to a main striker but not at 50m or so it would take.

Vapor trail

All I've heard is bad news regarding Sesko been underwhelming. Okafor before his injury seemingly has been the main attacking outlet.

Son

He's had a couple of nice moments for Slovenia (5 goals and 3 assists in 17 games), but who would pay 85M for a striker with 7 goals in 25 games for the by far best team in Austria this season and a CL record of 0 goals and 0 assists in 12 games.
He's not even worth close to the 20M Leipzig are paying for him right now. There is absolutely no way he's getting any serious minutes at Leipzig if what he's doing for Salzburg now is his standard.

Sesko in the Austrian Bundesliga: 10 goals and 6 assists in 41 games
Sesko in the CL: 0 goals and 0 assists in 12 games
That reads really bad considering I heard people pumping this guys rep to the moon. Am I missing something in his holdup play or speed for a big man?

Personally I’d sell martial and bring in Mitrovic and Kane. That would be so sweet.

City tend to get it right. Go for the obvious big Premier League players like Mahrez and they do the business. We used to do the same obviously under Sir Alex.

RVP and Andy Cole just did what they said on the tin. Rooney was proven in the PL too & Yorke. RVN was a risk granted but a perfect age for the step up.

Last edited:

Dan_F

It’s exactly what people who have watched him have been saying the whole time. He’s not ready for a big move. You could even argue he needs another year in Austria playing every week. Moving to a top club now would be career suicide.

If he’s going to make it to the top then he’ll be a late bloomer, which is fine, there’s plenty of examples of strikers not playing at the highest level until their mid twenties.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
I have a feeling he's going to go the same route as Matavz. Overhyped at a young age, played well in the dutch league(Groningen & PSV) till he hit 25 and then he fell over a cliff.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Where is this ‘Leipzig paid 65m for him and he will cost 85m’ stuff being pulled from? They paid nowhere near that, and he’d likely cost nowhere near that either.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I personally don’t see it with this lad.

Looks very ‘clunky’.

Reminds me about how there was hype about Dzeko before he moved to City.

cpresc

That reads really bad considering I heard people pumping this guys rep to the moon. Am I missing something in his holdup play or speed for a big man?

Personally I’d sell martial and bring in Mitrovic and Kane. That would be so sweet.

City tend to get it right. Go for the obvious big Premier League players like Mahrez and they do the business. We used to do the same obviously under Sir Alex.

RVP and Andy Cole just did what they said on the tin. Rooney was proven in the PL too & Yorke. RVN was a risk granted but a perfect age for the step up.
Mitrovic and Kane would be incredible

FeedTheGoat

Supports
Man City
Dzeko would literally be starting for Utd today
His strike rate in the Bundesliga over several seasons was also very impressive before he joined us, and he was very good for us, so weird comparision if the point is not rating Sesko

Dan_F

I personally don’t see it with this lad.

Looks very ‘clunky’.

Reminds me about how there was hype about Dzeko before he moved to City.
:lol: I think he would be delighted to have a career like Dzeko.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
His strike rate in the Bundesliga over several seasons was also very impressive before he joined us, and he was very good for us, so weird comparision if the point is not rating Sesko
Dzeko --- Sesko sounds alike bingo!!
the career should be similar

Rooney --- Toney.. you get the idea

Drizzle

I have a feeling he's going to go the same route as Matavz. Overhyped at a young age, played well in the dutch league(Groningen & PSV) till he hit 25 and then he fell over a cliff.
Thats such a tragic story. Did he survive?

dedek_mraz

I'm afraid Šeško missed a golden opportunity not joining United in the summer. Undoubtedly he's still very raw and it would've been a sink or swim move for him, but my hunch is that he would shoot to stardom (similar like Rashford did in his first season). We had a glaring hole to fill and judging by the Weghorst loan he would probably play alot as he is a similar profile of a player (albeit Wout has better game inteligence) but with pace. We all saw number of chances that could've fell to Wout if only he were quicker and I think Šeško wouldve gotten on the end of those.

He lost focus after Leipzig move, now he's out of form and not even in the squad at Salzburg. He basically sacrificed this season as Salzburg really has no strong incentive to play him into form, given that he is going in the summer.

Lecland07

I don't really know why he was getting so much of a build up; he wasn't even all that good last season. He only scored 5 goals in the Austrian Bundesliga.

His total in the Austrian league is 10 goals in 40 games for Salzburg. I don't get where the excitement is coming from, to be honest.

FeedTheGoat

Supports
Man City
I don't really know why he was getting so much of a build up; he wasn't even all that good last season. He only scored 5 goals in the Austrian Bundesliga.

His total in the Austrian league is 10 goals in 40 games for Salzburg. I don't get where the excitement is coming from, to be honest.
Nothing is ever guaranteed, but I think the likes of Haaland and Mbappe and to an extent even someone like Rashford give a false view of what output you can demand from a young striker. Any generation has the outliers like Owen, Kluivert and generational talents like Ronaldo but the majority of young strikers is usually flashes of talent and works in progress until they find a break through later in their careers, or in the worst case fades away. Kane, Shearer, Van Persie, Falcao is just examples from the top of my head of young strikers that were highly rated but didn't really score on a respectable basis until later in their careers.

Sesko has looked very promising in senior football for some time now, especially for Slovenia and I think the hype has more to do with him having all the tools to put it together rather than the type of striker he is at the moment

luke511

It works out as 0.47 per 90 minutes, Kane has scored 34 league goals in 60 games in the same amount of time working out at 0.58 per 90. His numbers aren’t the best but they’re not as bad as they seem. A lot of his hype came from a strong performance vs Liverpool in pre season, he’s scored a few bangers since then too.

Vapor trail

All hype no substance, everything I've heard about him is that he's been average this season. Which is uninspiring in a league that is not even remotely competitive.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I don't see this lad ever becoming good enough for the best of the best.

Sea-Cow

Personally I was ready to bet the farm on him winning the golden boot after watching a few highlight videos this summer, including some of his performance against Pool where he looked great. Granted I only watched the comps of course and never saw him play live.

And he looked incredible in those videos! He was a big lad but he had some excellent skills and looked like he had some pace as well. Then I saw a first-time volley he scored against Sweden I think and my muppetness went through the roof.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Not good enough yet. I'd question whether he would ever be good enough

GlasgowCeltic

So would most of the strikers in the PL, when they're competing with Weghorst.

This kid would do well to reach Weghorst's numbers in the bundesliga first.
wasn’t a knock on Weghorst, Dzeko has been a very good player for a long time

RuudTom83

Another Cafe favourite falls!

Let’s wait a few months and he will be a MUST buy for the summer no doubt.

Bojan Djordjic

Think he'll be very good as he has all the building blocks but just don't think he in any way justifies the €50mn price tag right now as he's plainly miles off reaching his potential. Imagine he'll make a leap at Leipzig and will probably still get his big move but it will just be a bit later.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Timing hasn’t been great for him, but if he were a couple years further in his development - he’d absolutely be my first choice option. He’s the only option we’ve been linked with, perhaps aside from Kolo Muani - whose game has the perfect profile. The issue with Kolo Muani is that he is a fair few years ahead of Sesko and hasn’t proven that he’s of the required level yet. But in terms of profile - Sesko has size, but also speed to go with it. He’s tall but not uselessly tall like Weghorst / he’s good in the air. He can play on the shoulder and has the ability to drop deep and link. He can beat a man and can finish with both feet.

But he is 19 and not ready sadly, and by the time he is, we’d have long made our move.

MUFC OK

Said for a while he is the striker I’d like to see brought in. Kane would be short term. Think this lad has an huge ceiling and would like us to sign the best forward available for the next 5-10 years.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Slow and clumsy. Lukaku looks like a baller comparing to this guy. We must stay away from this.

dedek_mraz

Slow and clumsy. Lukaku looks like a baller comparing to this guy. We must stay away from this.
can you elaborate from where do you get that he's slow? In all of his scout reports, his speed is always mentioned as his asset.. infact judging by speedsdb.com his top speed is comparable to Rashford's (although I dont know how reliable the site is). In any case just going by the eye test, he looks quite fast, especially for a tall guy.