Television Better Call Saul | Includes Breaking Bad Spoilers

Sylar

Think everybody has said it to death now:
-Last ep was the best of the season
-Season needs an overall arc (cept the change from Mcgill to Saul)

Enjoying it but wow, four eps left. Intrigued to see where this goes now.

RedRevongge

Think everybody has said it to death now:
-Last ep was the best of the season
-Season needs an overall arc (cept the change from Mcgill to Saul)

Enjoying it but wow, four eps left. Intrigued to see where this goes now.
I'd imagine the story arc from now till the end of the season will be to stop the police finding out what Mike did?

Don't Kill Bill

I really like the whole series and while there are some pacing issues it doesn't matter because you get some great acting or dialogue in each episode. Odenkirk is doing a fantastic job making a truly unsympathetic character likeable, the parts I love the best are when he is dealing with a put down, I haven't seen it done better by anyone and the script is fantastic in this regard.

I don't know where this is all going and I enjoy not knowing for a change.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Im a bit confused about Mike and Sauls relationship with regards to Breaking Bad...

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Well, did Saul know Mike then before Breaking Bad? I assume so, obviously. So did Saul ever mention that he knew Mike in Breaking Bad? Did they ever have scenes together?

If Jesse joins the cast, I'm going to have the same questions, except Jesse is the one who "knew" orfSaul and got Walt to go to him, so that should be easy to solve.

I need to buy the Breaking Bad Blu Rays

Loon

:lol:
I thought Wiseguy was as good as it gets for Jonathan Banks. Wonderful to see him getting the chance to shine.

RedRevongge

Well, did Saul know Mike then before Breaking Bad? I assume so, obviously. So did Saul ever mention that he knew Mike in Breaking Bad? Did they ever have scenes together?

If Jesse joins the cast, I'm going to have the same questions, except Jesse is the one who "knew" orfSaul and got Walt to go to him, so that should be easy to solve.

I thought when Saul hooked up Walt with Gus initially he "knew a guy" who connected them which was Mike? Anyway been a while since I've watched it so would need to check that

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde

Saul used Mike before meeting up with Walt, yeah. His first appearance is in the last episode of season 2 where he's called (I think Walt calls Saul, who then sends him) to clean up after Jesse's girlfriend (Jane).

As for Jesse knowing Saul - didn't he just watch a commercial? I don't think he dealt with him before Walt got in.
Edit: Just rewatched some of the scenes. Jesse knows about Saul because "he got Emilio off twice". Still don't think he ever actually dealt with him himself before Badger got busted.

Last edited:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
The pacing of the show has been a bit odd, I'm not sure how I feel about it so far.

Cina

Another slow episode. I'm really struggling to see where this is going.

Sylar

Im so glad they didnt go with the whole "he becomes their lawyer, wins them a case and is rewarded". by doing the right thing, he suffered. Great torment for him trying to do the right thing and not be shady. Poor Saul...

It will be interesting to see what pushes him over the edge, what takes Kim out of his life (as she will eventually obviously). And what happens to his brother? Do they have a falling out, does he die, does Jimmy (saul) do something?

Mike working for Saul was a good scene too. First of many surely despite them being even.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Another slow episode. I'm really struggling to see where this is going.
Yea, it's definitely been very slow, although I am still enjoying it. It's shot very nicely and its holding my interest in spite of its almost snails pace. Not entirely sure how much of that comes down to already knowing the two key characters.

It's definitely riding BB coat tails.

Rated 9.3 on IBDB - it's not been that good that's for sure.

saivet

It's been interesting, but I haven't found it anywhere near as good as some of the critics or many posters on here have found it thus far.

The Kettleman's certainly have given me a few chuckles, the pair of clowns :lol:

Maxii

Paad
I've really enjoyed it so far regardless of it moving a little slowly. But after last weeks episode I really thought things were going to pick up, so I'm a bit disappointed after this week to be honest.

It just feels like they could fit the amount of storyline from two episodes into one. I find myself looking at how long is left and wondering when something is going to happen, and it just ends up fizzling out.

I have faith that it will come good in the end though.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
How many episodes are left?

Only watched the first 3 and I reckon binging the rest together might make for better viewing judging by the comments here.

Oggmonster

How many episodes are left?

Only watched the first 3 and I reckon binging the rest together might make for better viewing judging by the comments here.
3 left.

I thought it was slow but I do enjoy it. I am probably more patient with the fact it is a Breaking Bad spin off but I don't actually mind the progression of it really, I can see peoples frustrations and it's no way near as good as Breaking Bad but I do find it good to watch.

GBBQ

As great a character as Saul is, is he just too weak to carry the series? Is his journey from dead beat lawyer to successful shyster a strong enough transformation to keep us hooked?

I think the Mike centric episodes have been the most interesting and seeing his transformation from cop to fix it man would have been a more interesting story. You could even have included Saul's transformation as a series regular in the second series.

That being said, I am still enjoying the show. is this a 1-off series or will they do more?

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
As great a character as Saul is, is he just too weak to carry the series? Is his journey from dead beat lawyer to successful shyster a strong enough transformation to keep us hooked?

I think the Mike centric episodes have been the most interesting and seeing his transformation from cop to fix it man would have been a more interesting story. You could even have included Saul's transformation as a series regular in the second series.

That being said, I am still enjoying the show. is this a 1-off series or will they do more?
Season 2 was picked up before the premiere even aired.

Castia

Im enjoying it and I think season 2 will be even better, surely there will be a point where he's interacting with all sorts of dodgy people in the near future after he becomes Saul Goodman.

JackXX

I enjoyed the previous episode a lot (5-0?). Maybe they should have made a show about Mike's past and his family instead it would have been a lot more interesting. I feel like more went on in that one show than the rest of series 1 put together. I really like Sauls character but the whole failing at being a lawyer thing is getting a bit boring. I think it would have been far more interesting if he had actually been representing some crazy family like the Kettlemans. The whole thing with his brothers law firm and him being slightly involved in cases for me just makes me uninterested in what's going on. The show focuses on him yet he's not having much of a role in what's going on. The most significant things he's done is find the family camping trip and spilling a cup of coffee. Losing a little bit of faith that they actually know where they're going with it. I doubt him focusing on elder law is going to take us to many interesting places unless he bumps into Hector or something but that seems too obvious. It's watchable but I don't think I would still be watching it if I wasn't a BB fan.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Im enjoying it and I think season 2 will be even better, surely there will be a point where he's interacting with all sorts of dodgy people in the near future after he becomes Saul Goodman.
I thought the whole point was to give us his back story, if he becomes Saul by the end of this season then what's season two? Just different cases episode to episode? That'd be pretty shit.

For people saying they should have done a show about Mike, it seems clear to me that as much as Jimmy is the central character there is going to be just as much Mike involved and the show as a whole is about both of them and how they came to work together.

I'm fairly optimistic that something big will happen by the end of the season.

His brother seems to be being set up for something with his going outside and then looking at the case files.

kps88

I thought the whole point was to give us his back story, if he becomes Saul by the end of this season then what's season two? Just different cases episode to episode? That'd be pretty shit.
Why do you assume the back story ends once he becomes Saul? It's possible the the main chunk of his back story could take place after that. Him dealing with Gus and the criminal world would be interesting to see.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Why do you assume the back story ends once he becomes Saul? It's possible the the main chunk of his back story could take place after that. Him dealing with Gus and the criminal world would be interesting to see.
I didn't think he knew Gus prior to BB? He 'knows a guy who knows a guy', and he never deals with Gus directly even in BB.

Mike is the link between them all.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Started excellently, but think it's wavered slightly. Not sure where it's going with only a few episodes remaining.

PvsNP

Maybe the current season is setting up the next. I don't mind the slow pacing, but I don't like not knowing where the story is going. It better pick up soon.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
How the hell is it slow? In that last episode Mikes murder case storyline mostly wrapped up, he then burgled house for Jimmy. Kettleman story wrapped up mostly. Jimmy saved the girls career and then had a meltdown because he gave up the money and lost the big office. Plus Jimmys brother starting to do better with his agrophobia. I guess if theres no shooting, meth being cooked or someone trying to kill Walter White then it must be slow.

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
Not a mind blowing episode by all means but I liked the way him & Mike orchestrated the swindle on the Kettlemans. I think we'll see a lot of more of him and Mike working together in the hour of need. The whole dodgy lawyer/squeaky clean suburban couple combo winning a court case would have been pretty predictable, so it was good to see it not go down that way, but i was confused about his rage antics at the end. Was he frustrated about having to do the right thing and give the money back? setting back his plans for his new office? or because it meant Kim getting her job back ending his hopes for her working for him?

It might be slow pacing at times, but I don't think I can stop watching completely. The coffee shop scene in the opening episode and the flashbacks of him watching his advert tapes of his Saul days already tells me theirs life post-Breaking Bad, so thats what's keeps me enticed. I wonder at times for a person who's never watched either of the shows, would it better to watch Better Call Saul first before Breaking Bad? by doing that they'd have to wait a few seasons for it to finish first.. but it be interesting to see it from their perspective, BB fans are too familiar with its characters and the story that awaits its predecessor.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
How the hell is it slow? In that last episode Mikes murder case storyline mostly wrapped up, he then burgled house for Jimmy. Kettleman story wrapped up mostly. Jimmy saved the girls career and then had a meltdown because he gave up the money and lost the big office. Plus Jimmys brother starting to do better with his agrophobia. I guess if theres no shooting, meth being cooked or someone trying to kill Walter White then it must be slow.
It's slow because it's taken 7 episodes for all that to happen when it could have taken about 4.

Getsme

It's all a bit shit so far if truth be told. No doubt I'll keep watching it though.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I enjoyed the most recent episode. The Kettlemans are great characters.

Ned and Maude Flanders :lol:

Havak

Pokemon master
It started off great for a couple of episodes, dipped a little, had another two excellent episodes, and has now slowed down a bit again. I'm still enjoying it, however, but I think it's mainly due to the fact that Mike and Saul are two of my favourite Breaking Bad characters. I'm not completely sure that this show works as a weekly episodic series for a lot of Breaking Bad fans, especially the ones who watched Breaking Bad in mini-marathons after it'd all aired. Most people seem to want it to crack on with the main storylines advancing quickly, but Breaking Bad was notorious for pro-longing things in my opinion, so I expect it's just something that we'll have to deal with. If I had more time to myself each evening, I'd probably wait a few weeks and marathon the episodes, but I'm lucky to get two hours a night when working so I'm just going to have to watch one a week as designed.

I do like that there are multiple things happening right now, but I don't expect to see closure on all of them by the end of the season.