Television Better Call Saul | Includes Breaking Bad Spoilers

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Without the fantastic production values, that was essentially the least interesting episode of a law-procedural ever. "The one where they don't take the case we know virtually nothing about and in the B-plot, a man goes outside for a bit."

Last edited:

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Let's be honest if this wasn't a BB spin off it wouldn't be getting a second season.

The only thing more tedious than the programme is people being overly precious about it.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Let's be honest if this wasn't a BB spin off it wouldn't be getting a second season.

The only thing more tedious than the programme is people being overly precious about it.
If it wasn't a BB spin off Gilligan probably wouldn't have been given the same licence he has clearly been given with regards to it being so slow paced.

I don't agree with labeling it 'tedious' but you're definitely right that it's relying on being the spin-off of such a successful show.

I wonder if the people calling it 'already better than BB season one' are sticking by that crazy assertion.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
If it wasn't a BB spin off Gilligan probably wouldn't have been given the same licence he has clearly been given with regards to it being so slow paced.

I don't agree with labeling it 'tedious' but you're definitely right that it's relying on being the spin-off of such a successful show.

I wonder if the people calling it 'already better than BB season one' are sticking by that crazy assertion.
People are actually saying this? :houllier:

Mockney

They were saying it after the 3rd episode, despite the 3rd ep of BB being possibly one of the best ever, where Walt reluctantly kills Krazy 8 after noticing the missing shard.

In the corresponding episode of BCS, Saul found a missing family singing songs in a tent. I think it's safe to say some people got overexcited.

Obviously Saul needs to be judged as it's own show, but it hasn't quite worked out what show that is yet. I think it wants to be like Mad Men, but so far it's only really been good when it's being Breaking Bad.

Last edited:

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Im suspecting this tv show gonna be a bore fest till the end.

I'm expecting WW to appear before it ends. Setting up Breaking Bad season 6 or maybe a movie.

What's the point of the show if not (well, except cheap money..)

Americano

Make America Great Again!
Although I've watched and mostly enjoyed all the Saul episodes, for me the show is missing an emotional focal point. Jesse served that function in Breaking Bad, despite his flaws I connected with his humanity and warmth and actually cared about his character. The fictional world of Breaking Bad was very convincing and beautifully illustrated - the same applies to Better Call Saul. The show just needs a bit more human depth.

Donut

They'll probably bring Vas & Tucko storyline back for the final episodes, and it'll end once it gets really good.

Someone

Something
I enjoy the show, even with the slow pace it's still good, but i expect that to change soon once we reach the beginning of saul.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Im suspecting this tv show gonna be a bore fest till the end.

I'm expecting WW to appear before it ends. Setting up Breaking Bad season 6 or maybe a movie.

What's the point of the show if not (well, except cheap money..)
If you actually expect that then you're not very clever.

Donut

A decent episode, but for me the enjoyment is really lowered due to the fact that we know he's not gonna make it big, and are just basically waiting to see how he fails.

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
A decent episode, but for me the enjoyment is really lowered due to the fact that we know he's not gonna make it big, and are just basically waiting to see how he fails.
Yeah, thought that myself. Takes a bit of the excitement from it, but that's the problem with prequels.

Anyway, thought it was a good episode. When he realised they had their documents in a separate trash can :lol:

acnumber9

He could make it big and still lose it though. I thought it was the most enjoyable episode yet.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Really enjoyed this week's episode. The story was more compelling and the pace was kept up throughout. I liked seeing Chuck come out of his shell too.

Mockney

Am I watching the wrong episode? I thought that was pretty meh again myself. Basically another slow law procedural about fraud. Woopie! We also know Chuck's been going outside a little bit, and has already made it further than the curb when he fetched the paper, AND that his condition is psychosomatic. So the denoument wasn't exactly Bum Bum BUM!

Plus it had yet another unconvincing wigged flashback in that annoying bluey colour grade. The dumpster scene aside it was about as gripping as last weeks, or the one about the missing tent singers.

Last edited:

Sylar

I want to root for Jimmy but we also know his brother will end up screwing him over or something (maybe ends up taking the case from him to his partner / firm) which sends Jimmy over the edge.

I think this season has had grace due to BB and cos of that I think the writers can establish characters without the need of something really big which might be saved for Season 2 (which I think will be so much better (hoping anyway))

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Am I watching the wrong episode? I thought that was pretty meh again myself. Basically another slow law procedural about fraud. Woopie! We also know Chuck's been going outside a little bit, and has already made it further than the curb when he fetched the paper, AND that his condition is psychosomatic. So the denoument wasn't exactly Bum Bum BUM!

Plus it had yet another unconvincing wigged flashback in that annoying bluey colour grade. The dumpster scene aside it was about as gripping as last weeks, or the one about the missing tent singers.
It was procedural law in the same vein as previous episodes, but I thought it was much better executed this week.

Mockney

I'll give it credit for using Coffee Cold in the montage. Still probably another one I'll skip on the potential re-watch that's looking less and less likely.

Mockney

I would bother if you loved BB. It's still brilliantly made, and there are at least 2 episodes that work as great companion peices to Breaking Bad - Mike's one in particular is a must see for fans. It just isn't a show where you need to see the next ep right away. Or indeed, even all of them. In fact you could probably just watch the first 2 and Mike's (ep6) and still be relatively up to speed.

Last edited:

Irrational.

It's been hit and miss so far for me. As a stand alone show this would have failed spectacularly. I think BB is the only reason why people are still watching.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I almost gave up on this after episode five, but I thought last three episodes were much better than the three before that which were poor and really boring IMO. The one with Mike was the one that made me continue watching it.

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
Didn't really enjoy the first couple of episodes. Now i love it, best show out there atm. The first 5-6 episodes were about thoroughly building an understanding of the characters and their relations, imo. There can be long dialogues but they are excellently written so that's fine. Now that i "know" the characters i can predict what they will do even if they only respond to a question/dilemma with a look. The storyline is coming together, things are starting to take shape. Eagerly anticipating the next episode!

Blodssvik

Another great episode. I was thinking that something would happen with Chuck, but turns out he is just the worst kind of brother you can have. I think that Hamlin actually feel for Jimmy in this situation.

SqueakyWeasel

Another great episode. I was thinking that something would happen with Chuck, but turns out he is just the worst kind of brother you can have. I think that Hamlin actually feel for Jimmy in this situation.
Intrigued, can't wait to watch it! Only played catch-up yesterday with episodes 4-8 and think it's setting up nicely. Not really understanding the hate from some on here to tell you the truth? Why does a series have to move at 100mph and have an indestructable super hero to be deemed watchable?

Cina

I guess if that were like, a mid season episode where you expected there to be some progression but not a lot, it would've been good, but that was the second last episode of the season and I still don't really see exactly what the overall arc is supposed to be here, even the arc of season one which has moved at a snails pace and seems to have no real end game in sight.

it's watchable but it's severely overhyped due to BB.

Blodssvik

I disagree. I think it's standing completely on it's own feet at the moment. The overall arc is obviously character development. I think everything ties well together, the acting is good and storytelling great. I can see why some people wouldn't like the show but it seems to me that those who are most disappointed are those who expected it to be just more Breaking Bad.

Cina

I disagree. I think it's standing completely on it's own feet at the moment. The overall arc is obviously character development. I think everything ties well together, the acting is good and storytelling great. I can see why some people wouldn't like the show but it seems to me that those who are most disappointed are those who expected it to be just more Breaking Bad.
Err, the overall arc of Breaking Bad was also character development, except in Breaking Bad we didn't already know how the characters would eventually develop.

it's also incredibly like Breaking Bad. It's shot the same, the camerawork is the same, the cinematography is the same, it already has cameos from multiple BB characters (and likely will have many more), it has the same types of prolonged, tense scenes. In fact, the main reason it's so popular is because it's so fecking like Breaking Bad, except without plots remotely as strong and far slower pacing.

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
I guess if that were like, a mid season episode where you expected there to be some progression but not a lot, it would've been good, but that was the second last episode of the season and I still don't really see exactly what the overall arc is supposed to be here, even the arc of season one which has moved at a snails pace and seems to have no real end game in sight.

it's watchable but it's severely overhyped due to BB.
Agree with pretty much all of that. Fairly disappointed with the latest episode. It's becoming one of those shows that I watch while doing something else. I've been watching The Wire recently, which is a fairly slow-paced show as well, but BCS is on a different level. We've had close to 7 hours of this show now and you could probably sum up the season in a few short paragraphs.

Regarding the BB comparison (which is inevitable, considering it's made by the same people and has some of the same characters) it's pretty clear that BCS is still living off BB at least somewhat. It's a decent show in itself, but the fact that they're including Mike this much makes it look like they aren't really sure where to go with this. Don't get me wrong, some of the Mike scenes are great, but the show is called "Better Call Saul" and it feels like Mike and Saul has progressed about the same so far. Maybe they should've spent some more time coming up with ideas, but then they'd risk some of the hype to fade of course (maybe @Ramshock can enlighten us on the politics of AMC given his intimate knowledge - was BCS rushed?).

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Upto episode 7. It's good but I often find myself drifting off and doing other stuff in between.

Blodssvik

We still don't know how they will develop. Only what they will eventually become. We also don't know all the timelines which will be explored. The plots so far are obviously more trivial than BB. But I hope that it will never be as over the top as BB could be at times.