Boycott The Qatar World Cup?

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
Nope. FIA don't want the bad press that would come with that.
Ah ok. I feel as though they would continue with their protest even if there was a fine incurred, but if they were threatened with something that could impact the eventual winner of the championship, then maybe that might make them reconsider their protest?

Getting an additional yellow card for perhaps England's most important player might have a direct impact in a knock-out game down the road – so I can see why that threat is one that they have taken more seriously than a meaningless fine.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
Sure the whole boycott would make the most sense, but it was never going to happen. I am only disappointed that there was a promise, there were multiple interviews and statements made and there was a big PR activity around several countries having balls to oppose human rights abuse with this mere symbol of armband. Now, to backtrack only because of a single yellow card a game threat, is a big slap in the face for the LGBT community that was naïve enough to think the support and this statement matters.
Fair point and am disappointed also.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I get people being upset about the whatabotsim argument being weak as hell.

However, this kind of scrutiny should be applied across the board to any hosting country going forward.
When people pull the 'whatabotsim' card it's almost always a tactic to deflect from their hypocrisy being pointed out.

Ahmer Baig

The best part about Qatar hosting the FIFA world cup is how the western world is having a complete meltdown realising there exists a world and culture outside of their bubbles, and exposing their hypocrisy with the sudden concern about human rights violations in the country.

Your countries are responsible for millions dead in wars.

tom8888sa

Supports
neutral
Yes?

There were protests at basically every big club in Germany... Of course the country wouldn't turn a blind eye towards the NT, but I'm pretty sure you'd see a strong difference in pub/lic events and whatever success this edition may bring, it will always have a big asterisk.
no it won't. Come on be neutral here. you seriously think GERMANY will have a 'big asterick' if they win this world cup? THat's insanity. How about this, let's say Germany progress far (doubt it) let's see how the country of Germany reacts first and see all the 'protestors'

IncyWincySpider

It makes wearing the armband week in week out in the UK totally meaningless. If the moment there is any kind of negative consequence you back down then you never really believed in what you were doing in the first place. The guy who started the take the knee movement was actually prepared to wreck his career for what he believed in, and these guys can't even accept a yellow card? Shameful.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
You're stuck on a false binary - 'western governments commit human rights abuses, therefore it's wrong to criticise non-western governments for human rights abuses'.
All these pseudo-defenses of Qatar and meta-criticism of the criticism tend to avoid the underlying fact of the matter, which is that Qatar was not a good choice for a World Cup host, which was clear from FIFA's official evaluation of the bid. All the issues flow from there.

Abizzz

The best part about Qatar hosting the FIFA world cup is how the western world is having a complete meltdown realising there exists a world and culture outside of their bubbles, and exposing their hypocrisy with the sudden concern about human rights violations in the country.

Nah we know perfectly well. After all the citizens from " world and culture outside of their bubbles" move to the bubble in the millions, year for year.

We're just mad a few of our corrupt feckers sold our lovely game to these corrupt feckers.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )

I don't understand how war is relevant to how a nation treats their OWN people on a daily basis. Are you seriously trying to justify sentencing people to death in their own country because of their sexual preferences?

Bole Top

It makes wearing the armband week in week out in the UK totally meaningless. If the moment there is any kind of negative consequence you back down then you never really believed in what you were doing in the first place. The guy who started the take the knee movement was actually prepared to wreck his career for what he believed in, and these guys can't even accept a yellow card? Shameful.
completely agree. they fully exposed themselves already and it's only a day 2 ffs. they can wear whatever they want in their country after this, nobody will care. I said it month ago, nobody is willing to sacrifice anything here, players, managers or the fans. being vocal on the internet is the easiest thing in the world.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Russia vs Saudi-Arabia didn't exactly promise to be spectacular football either, but it's of course a fair point and numbers could very well normalize over the course of the tournament.
Yeah Russia-Saudia didn't sound a classic either. At least Russia had a few recognisable players I guess.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans

Not really those people with those cultures Mass immigrate to Europe and Norhern America.

Gehrman

I don't understand how war is relevant to how a nation treats their OWN people on a daily basis. Are you seriously trying to justify sentencing people to death in their own country because of their sexual preferences?
He probably feels that unless you are from the most virtuous country in the world(which is?) presumably where the poster is from you are not allowed to voice critism about Qatar bribing themselves to the WC or or the thousands of foreign workers dying under slave labour conditions. I would love to hear where the poster is from. Its just all the cultural relativism bullshit that is regurgitated incessantly on social media.

Last edited:

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
They should have just rotated the captaincy around within the squads. Especially for the final fixture where you can field a second-string side if already qualified (The Dutch shoud be in that position at least)

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
So let me get this straight. Iranian players risk their lives by remaining silent during their anthem and european teams back down on human rights protest because of a possible yellow card?
That's a whole new level of disgrace. How low can you go....

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
These issues are linked. If not for War and invasion, Qatar would simply not exist. It has stood on its toes thanks to the British anyway. These countries were made in the 50s and 60s. Back then in the UK, being gay would result in chemical castration by the state (see Alan Turing).

Since then, the English have had 50+ years to move on and develop as a nation which allows for social advances. Countries that don't have that kind of power, have not gone through that stage of evolution yet. Events like the world cup is exactly what they need to get exposure, to evolve, to become a mature society.

Gehrman

So let me get this straight. Iranian players risk their lives by remaining silent during their anthem and european teams back down on human rights protest because of a possible yellow card?
Sportsmen love virtue signalling until they might get a yellow. Apart from the ones risking their bloody lives.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid

People out here talking like the villain from a mid 90s Seagal movie.

Sweet Square

Well said.

Ace_United

The funny thing is y’all/these footballers want to talk about human rights now but seem to turn the blind eye when it comes to Dubai using the exact same process to build the burj khalifa and all the other skyscrapers built out there, but of course the footballers are the first to go there and take pics for the gram. Pure hypocrisy, don’t pick and choose if you want to be so vocal about it. The truth is that this all stemmed from the LGBT issue, the western world couldn’t get enough backlash on Qatar through the LGBT issue alone due to it being the minority so they had to start plucking out human right issues as they know more people will be vocal about that. This human right issue has been active for years and years but now they all suddenly care, just fits the agenda.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
So penalty of one yellow card (one!!!) was enough for teams to ditch rainbow armbands :lol: . Wow, they showed them.

crossy1686

career ending

This is my favourite argument: “You’re not allowed to criticise discrimination that’s happening right now because you go to war sometimes”.

Nah mate, it’s abhorrent and we will absolutely speak up about the disgusting discrimination that’s going on in such countries. You’ll also find that a very large majority of westerners are against war and don’t agree with their countries decision to go to war whenever it happens, but I guess you wouldn’t know that because your media doesn’t want you to know that.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
This is my favourite argument: “You’re not allowed to criticise discrimination that’s happening right now because you go to war sometimes”.
Portugal hasn't been in a war in a while but I've been told on twitter I can't criticize this because of slavery centuries ago. People really are desperate if this is the only sort of thing they can come up with.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Have you ever played with yellow card? According to Van Dijk it is a huge risk. Jail is nothing compared to that.
Have some sympathy for Kane, Van Dijk and others ffs.

And yeah, huge huge huge respect for Iranian players. For to do that, you need to have balls. Not big as for wearing rainbow armband though but still big :wenger:

Last edited:

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Emotions during their national anthem was extraordinary.

So disappointed with England after being so vocal

JonnyIreland

Looks like everyone was full of big talk about “boycotts”, “armbands”, “telling it like it is” until they got over there and could smell the money… bunch of hypocrites, from players to the media.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Initially they claimed that rainbow flags wouldn't be a problem. Then, when the tournament itself was approaching, that security twat came out with the "we might confiscate your flags to protect you" nonsense. And now, they're actually detaining people for wearing feckin' t-shirts.

They're taking the piss, aren't they? Actively trying to provoke people?