Brady

Hellboy

Brady has the mental attributes to succeed at United. I really hope he makes it and replaces Park as a 4th choice winger, he is quite good technically and looks very strong.

Heffo

Wait and see my friend, wait and see.
Whether or not he becomes the best player to ever put on a United shirt is irrelevant. The point is you have seen next to nothing of him and to rate his as a possibility to make the first team whilst writing off someone who has impressed at championship level already. Don't forget Brady was a promising youngster as well, maybe not so highly rated as Perreira but highly rated nonetheless. Didn't he win the award for best player and top scorer in the Milk Cup a few years back. Has also scored a few goals already at u-21 level for Ireland.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
Maybe you should heed your own advice with Brady ?
Robbie Brady is 4 years older and we have seen him first team professional football. I don't see the controversy in me thinking that he is not going to be good enough to play for one of the world greatest clubs.

PS18

Wait and see my friend, wait and see.
Hmm, that's not really an answer is it? :)

It was a genuine question, I don't know how often you get to academy games. Given he's only played three U18 games, one of which was abandoned after half an hour and none of which were shown live on MUTV as far as I'm aware, you'd certainly have to have attended those games in person (and probably some of his U16 games too) to be able to make such a bold claim without looking pretty daft and making your opinions on Brady etc hard to take seriously...

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Hmm, that's not really an answer is it? :)

It was a genuine question, I don't know how often you get to academy games. Given he's only played three U18 games, one of which was abandoned after half an hour and none of which were shown live on MUTV as far as I'm aware, you'd certainly have to have attended those games in person (and probably some of his U16 games too) to be able to make such a bold claim without looking pretty daft and making your opinions on Brady etc hard to take seriously...
I said that it was ill advised and I accept that I haven't seen a great deal of Pereira apart from the videos of his youth tournament games but it is clear that he is exceptionally talented. I don't care if you don't take my opinion on Brady seriously or not, I could be wrong but that is what I think about the player after seeing him numerous times in the past few years.

I am not saying that this is what is going to happen it is my prediction, no more no less. Regarding Pereira it is my shot at getting in the 'bold prediction' thread.

Drainy

Robbie Brady has the attributes to make it at United. He's not even turned 21 so there is plenty of time if he can stay patient.

At 20 if you saw Park Ji-sung playing would you say he'd be a Man United first teamer for 7 years? Hernandez? At around 20 he was thinking of quitting football because he thought he wasn't going to make it.

A lot can happen between 16-22/23

CLK_FPC

Fists of Fury
Robbie Brady has the attributes to make it at United. He's not even turned 21 so there is plenty of time if he can stay patient.

At 20 if you saw Park Ji-sung playing would you say he'd be a Man United first teamer for 7 years? Hernandez? At around 20 he was thinking of quitting football because he thought he wasn't going to make it.

Good point

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

Park was 21 at the World Cup 2002 and pretty excellent.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I said that it was ill advised and I accept that I haven't seen a great deal of Pereira apart from the videos of his youth tournament games but it is clear that he is exceptionally talented. I don't care if you don't take my opinion on Brady seriously or not, I could be wrong but that is what I think about the player after seeing him numerous times in the past few years.

I am not saying that this is what is going to happen it is my prediction, no more no less. Regarding Pereira it is my shot at getting in the 'bold prediction' thread.
Its not really a ground breaking prediction or anything that hasn't been said by anyone else, I think we all have high hopes about Pereira having seen his performances for Belgium.

I think you're being very harsh on Brady though. I've been impressed by his technique, ability to beat a man and his tenacity. Hes got a lot of attributes that will set him in good stead here, id argue hes the most complete of them all at the moment, including Petrucci and Will Keane.

Drainy

Park was 21 at the World Cup 2002 and pretty excellent.
"good enough to play for one of the world greatest clubs" style pretty excellent?
Yeah he was good from a young age but not to a standard that most people would have picked him out for an important future at a top club. In fact I seem to remember Guus Hiddink warning him against a move to United because he wouldn't get enough games.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
"good enough to play for one of the world greatest clubs" style pretty excellent?
Yeah he was good from a young age but not to a standard that most people would have picked him out for an important future at a top club. In fact I seem to remember Guus Hiddink warning him against a move to United because he wouldn't get enough games.
Well, he was always a squad player for us and if someone had predicted in 2002 that he would become one, they wouldn't have been laughed at.

I agree there are a lot of late bloomers who don't look like the real deal at a young age and then become very good but I don't think Park belongs to that list. If anything, at 23 when he played for PSV he was even more impressive than he was for us most of the time.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Agricultural in this context means that he is uncultured, lacking in finesse and craft.

Valencia
Nani
Young
Giggs
Kagawa

I can't really see why he would become our 4th choice winger considering those players are in front of him. Cleverley won POTS for Watford and was farmed out on loan to Wigan before he got a crack at our first team. Regardless, I don't think that Brady has the skill set to be a top level player.

The Pre-Season tour is not a good indicator of player ability either, at least as an indicator for them being good enough for Manchester United anyway. I remember Lee Martin and Chris Eagle impressing on Pre-Season tour, even Dong managed to score a couple of smart goals on one tour too.

Players that I think have a good chance of becoming first team players.

Johnstone
A Pereira
W Keane

I am not a great watcher of defenders though so I wouldn't hazard a guess. People seem to forget that Welbeck is the only true Manchester United youth product to become a first team regular in recent years, I think since Darren Fletcher.
Jonny Evans would be the big one since Fletch but since Evans yes...Welbeck and then Tom Cleverley

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Jonny Evans would be the big one since Fletch but since Evans yes...Welbeck and then Tom Cleverley
My mistake on Jonny Evans but Cleverley still has it all to prove, he has made 5 Premier League starts for us in his whole career for Christs sake!

stubie

Look forward to seeing him start tomorrow

How will he adapt to being a full back?

SkeppyRed

Lineups Game Winner 2012/13
Look forward to seeing him start tomorrow

How will he adapt to being a full back?
Played there before for the reserves and has something about him which looked like he suited the role. If he can learn quickly in terms of the positioning and decision making required to play there he can be a big success in that position.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

I gave Brady a bit of a slating as a winger earlier in the thread but I can definitely see how he would work as a left back.

Hans Moleman

Robbie Brady is striving to learn the left-back trade and make the most of a chance to push for the first team.

Sir Alex Ferguson still views the Irishman as a winger but the departure of Fabio, on loan to QPR, and Ezekiel Fryers, has prompted the boss to look at fresh cover for first-choice Patrice Evra.

Brady played in the role in Durban during the 1-0 win against AmaZulu and thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

"It was brilliant," he told ManUtd.com. "It's an amazing experience for me to come away and start. I was a bit nervous to begin with but, as the game went on, I felt more comfortable and really enjoyed it.

"After the press conference, I had an idea I was going to play and, when I got the confirmation, I was over the moon. I didn't see [what the manager said] myself but what I heard was good and I'm delighted about that. It gave me more confidence going into the game.

"It's new to me at left-back but, like I've said, I'm enjoying it. They've been moulding me for the last two weeks into being able to start in that position. Hopefully, I can get better as it goes on. I suppose, if I keep on progressing, I'd like to try and take it [a regular first-team spot] at some stage.

"Rio [Ferdinand] was keeping me in my place. I had a couple of ropey moments in the game but he talked me through it and I felt more comfortable as the game went on. With probably my best mate, Scott Wootton, coming along too, it was great for me to play with him as we came through together and I've known him since day one.

"So I hope to keep on pushing and play better in the next couple of games and get as close as I can to the first team. Patrice Evra is one of the best left-backs in the world and it's great watching him. He's unbelievable attacking-wise and I can learn from him. I'm not used to playing left-back but, watching him there, it shouldn't be long before I can pick it up."

The former Hull City loanee is still coming to terms with the thrill of representing the Reds on the DHL tour.

"It's a different world," he admitted. "Especially for me. I've never experienced anything like this before and I'm enjoying every minute of it.

"I know how big the club is but to see how people react to us is unbelievable. Playing for 90 minutes on the pitch besides people I grew up watching is unbelievable and a dream come true."

prateik

Robbie Brady is striving to learn the left-back trade and make the most of a chance to push for the first team.

Sir Alex Ferguson still views the Irishman as a winger but the departure of Fabio, on loan to QPR, and Ezekiel Fryers, has prompted the boss to look at fresh cover for first-choice Patrice Evra.

Brady played in the role in Durban during the 1-0 win against AmaZulu and thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

"It was brilliant," he told ManUtd.com. "It's an amazing experience for me to come away and start. I was a bit nervous to begin with but, as the game went on, I felt more comfortable and really enjoyed it.

"After the press conference, I had an idea I was going to play and, when I got the confirmation, I was over the moon. I didn't see [what the manager said] myself but what I heard was good and I'm delighted about that. It gave me more confidence going into the game.

"It's new to me at left-back but, like I've said, I'm enjoying it. They've been moulding me for the last two weeks into being able to start in that position. Hopefully, I can get better as it goes on. I suppose, if I keep on progressing, I'd like to try and take it [a regular first-team spot] at some stage.

"Rio [Ferdinand] was keeping me in my place. I had a couple of ropey moments in the game but he talked me through it and I felt more comfortable as the game went on. With probably my best mate, Scott Wootton, coming along too, it was great for me to play with him as we came through together and I've known him since day one.

"So I hope to keep on pushing and play better in the next couple of games and get as close as I can to the first team. Patrice Evra is one of the best left-backs in the world and it's great watching him. He's unbelievable attacking-wise and I can learn from him. I'm not used to playing left-back but, watching him there, it shouldn't be long before I can pick it up."

The former Hull City loanee is still coming to terms with the thrill of representing the Reds on the DHL tour.

"It's a different world," he admitted. "Especially for me. I've never experienced anything like this before and I'm enjoying every minute of it.

"I know how big the club is but to see how people react to us is unbelievable. Playing for 90 minutes on the pitch besides people I grew up watching is unbelievable and a dream come true."
:lol:

The Black Pearl

Hurling Man of the Land
He did seem more comfortable as the game went on alright, he got caught out of position a few times earlier on but you could see as time passed he was sort of coming to grips with the situation and got more confident, particularly when going forward.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
Would be a bonus if Brady turned into a good left back at this stage. It'd forego the need for signing cover for Evra, setting the stage for Fabio (or Brady depending on how good he gets) to claim the left back spot.

Not to say that I don't think he'd better used elsewhere, but I can't help but think that it's important for Fabio's development for us to do something like this as opposed to signing another left back.

Longlivekeano

Kieran Richardson Part 2???Promising left midfielder gets played at Left back. Gets some games under belt in EPL, sold to mid level EPL team????

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Lol speaking of that, I remember someone on here saying and I quote 'Mark my words, he'll be better than Ashley Cole.'

:lol:

Kaiketsu_Zorro

Kieran Richardson Part 2???Promising left midfielder gets played at Left back. Gets some games under belt in EPL, sold to mid level EPL team????
It will be like this. Brady will be a stop-gap resolution if we don't sign a proper LB to challenge Evra. Just like Bardsley, Simpson, Richardson, after the initial hype he will end up somewhere else and do a fairly good job for a mid-table team.

Kaiketsu_Zorro

Why even bother predicting how his career will pan out for us after a couple of pre season friendlies
Why bother? Because we don't have a proper cover for Evra, who himself is 31 or so already. Brady seems a fairly promising young player but nothing more than this. It is therefore only normal to try and predict if we can rely on him in this regard, as it is time to make this decision.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Why bother? Because we don't have a proper cover for Evra, who himself is 31 or so already. Brady seems a fairly promising young player but nothing more than this. It is therefore only normal to try and predict if we can rely on him in this regard, as it is time to make this decision.
In the short term (ie: this season) perhaps, but in the long term we havn't seen anywhere near enough to decide whether or not he can make it at United. He hasn't even played a competitive game for us ffs and you're already brashly predicting how his whole career will pan out.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Me thinks he has a chance of becoming a left back full time. He certainly has the bite in his game.
You need more than bite. He looked poor at left back yesterday IMO despite being tested very little. Seemed a step behind their wide player and really his only asset in the position seemed to be getting stuck in.

So on first viewing I'm doubtful of him becoming a good left back.

savais

He's not a proper fullback, so its no wonder his positioning is all wrong. I think they only tried him at leftback for this tour, I can't imagine it being his future position in the game. Having said that, he doesn't really offer anything special going forward either, and would not imagine him breaking through at United. This is just from watching a few games, so others may have a more well rounded opinion.

lysglimt

Scout
The problem I see with Brady is that he looks a very good all-round player - but I just can't see him being a regular in one position. But he could definately become an O'Shea kind of player who could fit in when required

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
You need more than bite. He looked poor at left back yesterday IMO despite being tested very little. Seemed a step behind their wide player and really his only asset in the position seemed to be getting stuck in.

So on first viewing I'm doubtful of him becoming a good left back.
In that role you need the bite. Other things come with experience. Just remember Ashley Cole's beginning.

buckooo1978

You also need positional sense. Let's see if that comes with time.
Can we afford to give him the time he needs to lear?n

He'd need a season on loan or in the reserves to develop skills in playing that position

Instead we will probably have to fire him straight into the first team if Evra gets injured

It's a gamble we shouldn't have to take and I would bring someone in

I'd love Phil Neville back funnily enough - he was a great squad player, top pro, versatile and a red through and through

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
Can we afford to give him the time he needs to lear?n

He'd need a season on loan or in the reserves to develop skills in playing that position

Instead we will probably have to fire him straight into the first team if Evra gets injured

It's a gamble we shouldn't have to take and I would bring someone in

I'd love Phil Neville back funnily enough - he was a great squad player, top pro, versatile and a red through and through
I think we can afford to give him some game time in that position yes.

I don't mind having a few 'transitional seasons' if it means getting the kids on the pitch and them developing.