Television Breaking Bad

MUFC07

What a great season opener. I was afraid it would lose some sort of "momentum", that tension that got running from the first minute of season 4 up to the last one, but it took it up greatly.

Cina

That scene with Ted was both depressing and hilarious at the same time. I did not know how to react.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
I thought it was ok for a season opener, but nothing spectacular. If anything it seemed to be going through the motions a bit... I'm sure it will build though.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
I think this will be the standard pace now. Also the creator commented about returning to some basic formula if I am correct. S4 was a departure in that sense, almost every episode was different in format. This one felt more like from S1 or 2.

Cina

"Keys scumbag, it's the universal symbol for car keys"

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Awesome! Awesome! Awesome!

"because I said so."
and with that the new order was established.

kps88

Emmy noms ahoy! Cranston, Paul, Gunn and Esposito all landing nominations.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Why would a twitching finger imply death? If anything I thought it would imply he's alive. My first guess was that maybe he's paralysed, or in a coma.
Pow. Told you. Take that, Cina.

Cina

Heh, fair play. I was pretty shocked when Saul said he was alive.

Better off dead though, feck me that scene was depressing.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Anybody got a link where i can watch episode 1 of season 5? dont think its out in England yet and i cant wait!

kps88

Mike's such bad ass. Great to see him getting an episode. Had completely forgotten about the German connection. First the cameras and now this, the writers are making sure they're no plot holes left.

crappycraperson

Scout
That final scene again with Walt and Skylar! It is going to be hard to rot in anyway for Walt now on.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Mike is such a badass. Both episodes have ended with Walt creeping out Skylar :lol:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Mike's such bad ass. Great to see him getting an episode. Had completely forgotten about the German connection. First the cameras and now this, the writers are making sure they're no plot holes left.
Also cool that Chris, the guy that tried to kill Mike, had been in episodes before. Continuity.

LARulz

Am I still one of the few that likes Walt? Though I'm not sure if its still because I see Walt as the same guy from the first season who is a product of dealers treating him and Jesse like crap or not.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I still like Walt very much but I think he's evolved so much as a career from the comical first season.He's a proper drug manufacturer, he can't make a living using other means anymore.This shows is very good but it's also got many strong characters, Mike (as I expected) is being developed into a very (he already was tbh) good and key character.
Leaving no plot holes is something crucial in a TV show for me and so far so good from Breaking Bad

kps88

Also cool that Chris, the guy that tried to kill Mike, had been in episodes before. Continuity.

That's great. I really can't emphasize how much I admire what the writers are doing. Any other show would have made it so that the entire empire disappeared as soon as Gus died a la Return of the Jedi.

One tiny complaint could be each episode flies by without much overall progress of the story. Fantastic television, but all that's really happened in these two episodes is they've decided to start cooking again. But I have full faith they've got the entire arc planned out.

It's the complete opposite of watching shows like Lost or BSG when you're always nervously wondering if the writers know wtf they're doing.

Cina

I think I could probably watch a spin off just with Mike, I mean that episode was pretty much all him.

EDIT: That look from Hank as the guy said "he was right under my nose" by the way, was it an indication that he's figured out about Walt maybe?

[/SPOILER]

That's great. I really can't emphasize how much I admire what the writers are doing. Any other show would have made it so that the entire empire disappeared as soon as Gus died a la Return of the Jedi.

One tiny complaint could be each episode flies by without much overall progress of the story. Fantastic television, but all that's really happened in these two episodes is they've decided to start cooking again. But I have full faith they've got the entire arc planned out.

It's the complete opposite of watching shows like Lost or BSG when you're always nervously wondering if the writers know wtf they're doing.
It used to annoy me, it was the same in season four, but each drawn out episode just built up towards an amazing 3 to 4 last episodes and possibly the best finale to a series ever. A lot may not happen in overall plot progression but it's all about the development of the characters early on in the seasons.

jveezy

Fo' shizzle
I think I could probably watch a spin off just with Mike, I mean that episode was pretty much all him.

EDIT: That look from Hank as the guy said "he was right under my nose" by the way, was it an indication that he's figured out about Walt maybe?

It used to annoy me, it was the same in season four, but each drawn out episode just built up towards an amazing 3 to 4 last episodes and possibly the best finale to a series ever. A lot may not happen in overall plot progression but it's all about the development of the characters early on in the seasons.
Yeah it would be annoying if it didn't pay off in the end, but they've managed to pull it off every single time.

I don't think Hank's figured it out as much as he's probably become more determined to go back over everything with a fresh perspective.

Cina

Yeah it would be annoying if it didn't pay off in the end, but they've managed to pull it off every single time.

I don't think Hank's figured it out as much as he's probably become more determined to go back over everything with a fresh perspective.
Yeah that seems more likely. I think the writers are going to build up it so that it's basically a case of "Who will kill/avenge Walt" between Hank, Jesse and Mike. Hell, even Saul and Skylar might contribute towards his downfall at this stage.

Cina

Yeah it was a bit crap. Constant red herrings throughout the opening black and white sequences and in the end the twist/event turned out to be pretty meaningless to the overall story apart from Walt feeling a bit guilty. Season 2 was definitely the low point of the show.

4 > 3 > 1 > 2

crappycraperson

Scout
The crash was suppose to be symbolic of Walt's single action/inaction for his own selfish reasons having a cascading effect for everyone. They wanted to convey that his little meth lab no matter how little it was producing, was doing the same thing. The scene with Jesse at the end in a junkie house was more explicit version of that.

I don't think it was great but was not crap and looks worse now due to S3's and S4's superb endings. Some individual arcs in S2 were pretty fecking good though.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Nah it was crap. The episode Phoenix just before it was great though. That should've been the finale. The problem wasn't so much the crash, but that it was teased throughout the whole season and ended up being irrelevant.

Cina

Nah it was crap. The episode Phoenix just before it was great though. That should've been the finale. The problem wasn't so much the crash, but that it was teased throughout the whole season.
Exactly. Pretty much every opening scene was a black and white sequence about the crash, slowly revealing more and more and making it out to be some huge event, like when at one point they show two body-bags and you're left to believe that it's Skylar and Breakfast Boy in them. In the end it turned out to be a far fetched plot device that had little impact on the overall show apart from in the first episode of season three when Walt feels bad about it.

I thought it was shit at the time by the way, it has nothing to do with good 3 and 4 were.

DevilRed

Don't like Mike the character very much but it was a bloody good episode nonetheless. A real bitter sweet season knowing how it will be the final one. I love how Walt has evolved from a typical nerdy science teacher to some sort of cold calculating drug kingpin. Really worth it just to go back to season 1 and see how far his transformation has come.

Cina

Don't like Mike the character very much but it was a bloody good episode nonetheless. A real bitter sweet season knowing how it will be the final one. I love how Walt has evolved from a typical nerdy science teacher to some sort of cold calculating drug kingpin. Really worth it just to go back to season 1 and see how far his transformation has come.
Get the feck out

The_Red_Hope

Agree, Mike's a great character and well acted as well. Walt's getting creepy as feck ... that last scene :nervous: