Breel Embolo | Signed for Schalke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
sportbild is not reliable. If it was bild then i would believe something.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Even more ridiculous is how one couldn't name a single youth player Mou has developed nevermind given many chances to even play - 15 years of managing, nada.
You said Jose broke so many young players and when someone asked about which players he broke, you are changing the subject to how many players he promoted from academy.

Jose signed for teams which demanded immediate success. His record is anyways poor but how many of his previous clubs are producing players before and after Jose?

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
The proof is in 15 years no youth players can credit Mou for their development despite millions & countless youth purchases. Chelsea alone spent more on acquisitions & developing their youth academy than City yet who can they claim as having been brought along at the only destination Mou spent more than a few seasons? Most of those players languish in loan purgatory.

Players like Lukaku, Sturridge, Kakuta, Lass Diara, Canales, RLC, De Bruyne & Jese all likely have choice words for a coach that didn't truly give them chances. It's an incredibly long list of failed youth policy under Mou.

If you are a youth player and Mou becomes your coach - your future is not a bright one, under him. That's the simple reality of him as a coach

EvilEuro

He's the sort of typical Mourinho bad "chelsea" signing

1. we will buy him
2. We will loan him for a couple of seasons
3. He will end up at Stoke in a few years
Is this really true? It has been reported that Mourinho did not have the final say at Chelsea over transfers during his second run. Chelsea's transfers have supposedly been the domain of Michael Emenalo and have been since 2007. He has been the architect of their "hoover up the youth, loan them, and then sell them" policy. He was a big part of Mourinho's issues (and downfall) last year as he did not get any of Mourinho's transfer targets.

Mourinho's transfer record at Chelsea during his first reign was far better, the exception being Roman's pet project, Schevchenko. His time at Inter was "win and win now". Same with his time at Real Madrid. His time at United will be the first chance he has had in a long time to a) get the transfer targets of his choosing, and b) develop and blood youth because it's an expectation. Yes, people want to win now, but he'll be encouraged rather than discouraged to play youth in the process.

I am waiting to see who he acquires and what opportunities youth are afforded, be they homegrown or transferred in like Embolo. Until then it's all just speculation.

Reactions: Akshay

roonster09

Scout
The proof is in 15 years no youth players can credit Mou for their development despite millions & countless youth purchases. Chelsea alone spent more on acquisitions & developing their youth academy than City yet who can they claim as having been brought along at the only destination Mou spent more than a few seasons? Most of those players languish in loan purgatory.

Players like Lukaku, Sturridge, Kakuta, Lass Diara, Canales, RLC, De Bruyne & Jese all likely have choice words for a coach that didn't truly give them chances. It's an incredibly long list of failed youth policy under Mou.

If you are a youth player and Mou becomes your coach - your future is not a bright one, under him. That's the simple reality of him as a coach
Apart from RLC, Jese none are academy players. If you are saying Jose doesn't play younger players then it's a myth. Since you used De Bruyne who was 22 years when Jose sold him, I can list all the U-22 players who were played key roles in Jose's team.

Some in the list are just hilarious. Sturridge? Do some research. Kakuta was already gone case when Jose became manager.

I will repeat my question, which of his previous clubs are producing players from academy before Jose and after Jose?

cyberman

Embolo wouldn't be a youth acadamy player so this changing of goalposts is irrelevant.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
He's the sort of typical Mourinho bad "chelsea" signing

1. we will buy him
2. We will loan him for a couple of seasons
3. He will end up at Stoke in a few years
At least he will end up at Stoke, not Juventus or Villareal

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United

Every manager makes mistakes. SAF allowed Pogba to go because he preferred to call a player out of retirement then playing him. We also lost gems like Rossi (who was great before injuries took him out), Pique and decent players like Shawcross.

Also bear in mind that Mou managed clubs who wanted instant success. You can't blame him for sticking to his job description

zeekey

Well 35m euros is £27.5m roughly so whether we put that all up front all instalments we'll have to see. If it's a total deal of that price for the fee and then wages I don't think it's too bad. I agree with the raw comments. He is a player to be developed at or loaned out somewhere. Looked a bit cumbersome against Romania but he has pace and strength.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I don't know if we are talking about youth players or young players.

Riz

I think it's a bit harsh to blame Chelsea's poor youth record on Mourinho. This side have had what 10 managers this century and they've brought through how many youth products?

Leonard17

Not sure this is true mate. I'm not defending his record at all, but at Chelsea, Emenalo even said they don't think their players will be ready till 20-22, so don't want to rush the academy lot. RLC only played I think, cos of how well known he was and his wages. He clearly is very talented tho. At Real Madrid, he gave quite a few young players their debuts, over 10 I think, with the majority coming from the academy. To me, it seems that Jose has no problem with young players playing if they're ready for it. If you prove/ proved you can handle it physically and mentally, he'll put you in. Our lot have done so, I think Joyce has prepared a lot of them if not all, very well in that regard. The boys should be alright.

Reactions: sizzling sausages

tartanbornandred

Apart from RLC, Jese none are academy players. If you are saying Jose doesn't play younger players then it's a myth. Since you used De Bruyne who was 22 years when Jose sold him, I can list all the U-22 players who were played key roles in Jose's team.

Some in the list are just hilarious. Sturridge? Do some research. Kakuta was already gone case when Jose became manager.

I will repeat my question, which of his previous clubs are producing players from academy before Jose and after Jose?
Well Terry came through at Chelsea before Mourinho arrived and Loftus-Cheek finally got regular first team chances after Mourinho was sacked; are these the kind of examples you're looking for?

roonster09

Scout
Well Terry came through at Chelsea before Mourinho arrived and Loftus-Cheek finally got regular first team chances after Mourinho was sacked; are these the kind of examples you're looking for?
Terry who came through before Roman take over. RLC is fair enough but that was when Chelsea had nothing to play for.

Fahad Jawaid

I hope we don't go near him for that price, for 20 Million euros yes probably we can take a punt on him, but not for 40 million euros, he looks very raw and doesn't look ready yet, for 40 million euros you get players ready to come in the side and do business, it seems he would need another year or two to become a starter, Rashford for example is younger, a better prospect, with a far more assured touch. I wonder what will be the asking price for him would say 70 million euros.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information

He wasn't at Chelsea when Jose was in charge.

Norris

I hope we don't go near him for that price, for 20 Million euros yes probably we can take a punt on him, but not for 40 million euros, he looks very raw and doesn't look ready yet, for 40 million euros you get players ready to come in the side and do business, it seems he would need another year or two to become a starter, Rashford for example is younger, a better prospect, with a far more assured touch. I wonder what will be the asking price for him would say 70 million euros.
You probably hadn't even heard of Rashford six months back. Embolo as far as I am aware, has been highly rated, heavily scouted by clubs and quite well known for over 2 years now. Sanches played a year of top level football (Not including his B team appearances) and has gone for crazy money to Bayern. Sane it seems is also on his way to City for 50m despite having slightly over 1 year of professional game time. Martial is yet another example of this. If Mourinho thinks he's worth it, then I am sure we'll go in for him. It really shouldn't matter if it's for 20m or 40m.

Sigma

Even more ridiculous is how one couldn't name a single youth player Mou has developed nevermind given many chances to even play - 15 years of managing, nada.
Jese, Ballotelli, Santon Vasquez(?) e.t.c.

Sigma

Balotelli was bought by Mancini though. In fact he was hardly mourinho s favourite
15 games with Mancini. 31 games and 40 games with Mourinho. That's enough to give Mourinho credit for bringing him through.

Fahad Jawaid

You probably hadn't even heard of Rashford six months back. Embolo as far as I am aware, has been highly rated, heavily scouted by clubs and quite well known for over 2 years now. Sanches played a year of top level football (Not including his B team appearances) and has gone for crazy money to Bayern. Sane it seems is also on his way to City for 50m despite having slightly over 1 year of professional game time. Martial is yet another example of this. If Mourinho thinks he's worth it, then I am sure we'll go in for him. It really shouldn't matter if it's for 20m or 40m.
But the problem with your theory is we already have Janujaz, Rashford and Wilson then there is also Martial and Depay, I am all for buying young talented players but there should be a stand out attribute for a player or something to work with, Martial has amazing close control and dribbling, Rashford has brilliant linkup play, pace and finishing, Wilson has pace, Janujaz is technically very apt and brilliant close control and dribbling etc, Embolo from what i saw is pacier without the ball but his dribbling with the ball is slow, his first touch and linkup play is very clumsy, he does have a physical ability but i feel with the price tag and looking at how much raw he is, its better to look elsewhere, and lastly why on earth if he is so highly rated only Leizberg in for him and nobody else?

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
He looks more of a striker than a winger in which case I don't really see the need for him. Unless he really is that good.

Varun

Staff
Keep the tedious Mourinho and youth development discussion out of here guys.

Norris

But the problem with your theory is we already have Janujaz, Rashford and Wilson then there is also Martial and Depay, I am all for buying young talented players but there should be a stand out attribute for a player or something to work with, Martial has amazing close control and dribbling, Rashford has brilliant linkup play, pace and finishing, Wilson has pace, Janujaz is technically very apt and brilliant close control and dribbling etc, Embolo from what i saw is pacier without the ball but his dribbling with the ball is slow, his first touch and linkup play is very clumsy, he does have a physical ability but i feel with the price tag and looking at how much raw he is, its better to look elsewhere, and lastly why on earth if he is so highly rated only Leizberg in for him and nobody else?
Answering your last question first, Leipzig have bags of money and they want to do well in their debut season in the Bundesliga. They signed Timo Werner who is also highly rated and did well for a relegated Stuttgart team.

Regarding the players at the club, based on reports and my own take on it,

Memphis - Likely to be sold. Shame really, because I think he had the potential. Plays as LW.
Wilson - Very likely to be loaned out again, hopefully to a PL club though. Plays as Striker.
Rashford - If Zlatan comes in, will probably be understudy to him, but would be good for his development as well. Can play LW, better as striker.
Martial - No comment needed. Could play LB if he wanted to.
Januzaj - Genuinely have no idea, not many reports about him. I've always seen him as a No 10 since he has the vision to play that role well. But dunno what Mourinho's plans are.

Regarding Embolo, he's quick, yes he looks clumsy when dribbling, but still managed to beat quite a few people (Someone here posted some stat on how he had the 3rd highest successful dribbles last season in the Europa League). His crossing is excellent too, really curls them in with pace and a good deal of accuracy. He's also got a good ability to hold up the ball as well and bring others into the game (He's not exactly going to do those fancy flicks Rashford does to get the fans all orgasmic, though I have seen a few clips of him trying it, but ultimately that is linking up play) and he works really hard for the team. He's as you mentioned very raw and also very inconsistent, but despite that, he had another excellent season for Basel on the right wing. Bring him in alone is always a risk, and I don't think we'll do that. Hopefully, we'll get both him and Mkhitaryan, but there's no reason to think, a club like United can't improve him as a player. As with the Martial deal, if Mourinho thinks he's good enough for whatever price, there's no reason not to trust him.

tartanbornandred

Got his debut in an injury crisis, much like Rashford. Scored and impressed much like Rashford. Then Mourinho panic bought bloody Adebayor to start instead of him. He had to leave to get a proper chance.

Morata is probably the perfect illustration of what would have happened to Rashford if we had Mourinho last season. After taking his chance, van Gaal kept playing him even after other strikers returned to fitness. In a very similar situation at Real with Morata Mourinho signed an experienced alternative despite Morata impressing when played.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Got his debut in an injury crisis, much like Rashford. Scored and impressed much like Rashford. Then Mourinho panic bought bloody Adebayor to start instead of him. He had to leave to get a proper chance.

Morata is probably the perfect illustration of what would have happened to Rashford if we had Mourinho last season. After taking his chance, van Gaal kept playing him even after other strikers returned to fitness. In a very similar situation at Real with Morata Mourinho signed an experienced alternative despite Morata impressing when played.
Madrid is an exception - its a bloody circus. We all know who gives the orders there as to who is to play and who shouldnt.

Fahad Jawaid

Answering your last question first, Leipzig have bags of money and they want to do well in their debut season in the Bundesliga. They signed Timo Werner who is also highly rated and did well for a relegated Stuttgart team.

Regarding the players at the club, based on reports and my own take on it,

Memphis - Likely to be sold. Shame really, because I think he had the potential. Plays as LW.
Wilson - Very likely to be loaned out again, hopefully to a PL club though. Plays as Striker.
Rashford - If Zlatan comes in, will probably be understudy to him, but would be good for his development as well. Can play LW, better as striker.
Martial - No comment needed. Could play LB if he wanted to.
Januzaj - Genuinely have no idea, not many reports about him. I've always seen him as a No 10 since he has the vision to play that role well. But dunno what Mourinho's plans are.

Regarding Embolo, he's quick, yes he looks clumsy when dribbling, but still managed to beat quite a few people (Someone here posted some stat on how he had the 3rd highest successful dribbles last season in the Europa League). His crossing is excellent too, really curls them in with pace and a good deal of accuracy. He's also got a good ability to hold up the ball as well and bring others into the game (He's not exactly going to do those fancy flicks Rashford does to get the fans all orgasmic, though I have seen a few clips of him trying it, but ultimately that is linking up play) and he works really hard for the team. He's as you mentioned very raw and also very inconsistent, but despite that, he had another excellent season for Basel on the right wing. Bring him in alone is always a risk, and I don't think we'll do that. Hopefully, we'll get both him and Mkhitaryan, but there's no reason to think, a club like United can't improve him as a player. As with the Martial deal, if Mourinho thinks he's good enough for whatever price, there's no reason not to trust him.
I agree with you, If we buy both him and Mikitarian, with the purpose of using him from the bench and developing him, i am alright with that, but spending a large chunk of him to be a starter on the wing, he will frustrate us even more than Depay, and how long and how much have you actually seen him? You seem to rate him highly.

JackRed

I agree with you, If we buy both him and Mikitarian, with the purpose of using him from the bench and developing him, i am alright with that, but spending a large chunk of him to be a starter on the wing, he will frustrate us even more than Depay, and how long and how much have you actually seen him? You seem to rate him highly.
There seems to be talk of buying him and loaning him back to Basel for a year, how would you feel about that?

Fahad Jawaid

There seems to be talk of buying him and loaning him back to Basel for a year, how would you feel about that?
I would be fine with it actually as long as its a punt for 20 million euros, if we are paying high fee, then i expect to buy him and be a understudy to a RW signing.

cyberman

Do you think Jose had any control over transfers at Madrid? Come on now

Norris

Didn't they say United had a 200m budget or something ? I heard about him last year or so after he made his debut, so would just look up whatever highlights I could, when I had the time. I'm no Basel fan and definitely can't can't be arsed to watch full matches of their games, but whatever I saw of him, I liked. I get a little over-excited that way admittedly. Wait till they start linking us with Tielemans, and I'll probably spam that thread. :p. There were also a few articles on him shortly after which made for interesting reads.

And in terms of rating, I realistically dunno if he will be world class or anything. It's almost impossible to be sure of any young player, but he has the rawness and the determination (This is such an important attribute really), which makes me think we could make a very very good player out of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.