Brentan Rodgers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
So they have a player who wants out, a potential to be a good player but not great and two not good enough wingers. Would you imagine LVG saying last year that we are well stocked on the wing with Nani, Valencia, Young and Januzaj (tbf this four are a lot better than Liverpool four wingers).
I'd take our four of Sterling, Ibe, Lallana and Markovic over your four, mainly because of the former two though.
To be fair, from an objective standpoint - that's the only thing a manager in Rodgers' position could have said. Being candid and stating that Memphis was a major target they failed to land would've sent all the wrong messages about the current status of Liverpool.

Anyway, almost everything about this transfer is eerily similar to the Thiago saga from 2013. Memphis was always going to join United because of the close personal/ professional relationship with Van Gaal. It was only a matter of the club lodging an official bid for his services. Rodgers and co. had no chance from the beginning, contrary to what their fans were led to believe by the media and Liverpool's PR department.
Maybe, but it's been well documented that for the past 18 months we've been chatting with his reps. Flew him over, thought it was in the bag, got friendly with the press, briefed them on how he's our number one target and then we attempted operation 'drive the price down' as per the Salah deal and others. It was all over the place that we'd 'cooled our interest in the past 48hrs, it's a familiar pattern we've attempted numerous times and has left us looking utter mugs yet we've persisted with it. The fact is we as Liverpool fans have had the same rhetoric thrown at us time and time again that even the most patient among us are growing extremely weary of it. Brendan trotting this line out was only ever going to end one way, he was in a no win situation in reality, but the fans are looking for a scapegoat and he's the obvious candidate. The balance of perception toward him is shifting, and fast.
Edit- Red bit is according to Rawk and various reliable Liverpool journalists, i.e. Barrett, Joyce, Pearce and the like

untitled_6899

From BBC Sport

"It's quite simple. From where the two teams were last year it's straight forward. Chelsea took in three starters that came into their team [Fabregas, Courtois, Costa]. We are missing three in Suarez, Sturridge and young John Flanagan. They took three in, we lost three. The players we have had have given everything but we are fifth and that's probably where we are at at the moment."

This guy really talks a load of shit

According to him Chelsea brought in 3 players and Liverpool struggled as they were missing 3 (he was even included Flanagan!) but he failed to mention Liverpool also bought Can, Lambert, Lovren, Moreno, Manquillo, Markovic and Balotelli

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
From BBC Sport

According to him Chelsea brought in 3 players and Liverpool struggled as they were missing 3 (he was even included Flanagan!) but he failed to mention Liverpool also bought Can, Lambert, Lovren, Moreno, Manquillo, Markovic and Balotelli
Translation: "I wasted all the Suarez money."

Sam

From BBC Sport

Just came in here to post that

Talk about throwing all your new signings under the bus :lol:

darioterios

From BBC Sport

"We need five or six world-class players to compete"... (yeah bloody Flanagan).

Each passing day he grows into the Moyes in terms of statements

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
So he actually admitted to subbing Gerrard off so he could get an ovation for the last time at Stamford bridge.

Forget a champions league tie at Real Madrid la, The bridge is where it's at.

Not to mention, he probably removed the player most likely to score for his team in a game where they HAD to win, to have any hope of top 4 and CL footy and all for some weird PR type decision. I think that has hastened his end there unfortunately.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Rodgers: "We're not interested in signing the bloke we're interested in signing"

holyland red

"Holier-than-thou fundamentalist"
In my son's pre-school they call this tactic "Abba Shel Shabbat" (father of Shabbat), where each Friday one kid gets to help the teacher light Shabbat candles and give the rest of the kids a slice of chala.

Last edited:

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Courtesy F365:

"Luis going doesn't lessen our ambitions - we want to continually improve. We will go and do our best. Our best last year nearly won us the title. It's going to be competitive because everyone is strengthening but the beauty is we are a young group and will progress again. It will be a really exciting season and this year we will have the belief to go with the quality" - Rodgers, July 2014.

"In my short career as a manager I have lost people who I thought would be key players,' said Rodgers. "But then you go away, reflect and ensure you bring in the right replacement. Always, after that, my teams have been better teams. Believe me, it will be a really exciting season for us" - Rodgers, August 2014.

"There is only an excitement and a belief inside the club that we can challenge again for the title this time. We proved last season that we can handle the pressure of a title run-in. I know people will point to the Chelsea and Crystal Palace games, but they should look instead at our last 14 games. Twelve wins, one draw, one defeat. That kind of form usually wins you the title. So I know we can cope with the pressure" - Rodgers, August 2014.

"If you look at the history of the winning teams they have always come close. You look at the United team that won it in 1993, they came close in 1992 when they lost it to Leeds. They came back the following year and won it - don't mention that! That set up an era of winning for them. You look at all the teams. There is always a record of coming close as you gain the experience of winning. We went so close but it is only the beginning for us. I'm super hungry to be a champion and succeed and in the short period of time we have shown we have the credentials to do that" - Rodgers, August 2014.

"I don't think there is anyone better, that is the reality of how I see it. The owners understand that this was going to be a process, this is not a group of ready-made players who were used to winning. This was a team which overachieved last year. We weren't expected to get into the top four. We sit in fifth place, having reached two cup semi-finals, which is probably on par with where we are at" - Rodgers, April 2015.

Four quotes, each talking up Liverpool as title challengers, all made after the departure of Suarez. The fifth quote, re-writing his own history in bullish fashion. That takes the kind of chutzpah for which the Liverpool manager has become infamous.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

Art Vandelay

Courtesy F365:
:lol:

I hope they don't sack him. Partly because I think he's a shite manager and a complete bluffer. But mostly because he gives me the creeps and I prefer knowing he's in Liverpool. If he was jobless he'd have the time to be anywhere. I get the shivers just thinking about going out to leave the rubbish out some night and there he is lurking behind the bins, doing his weird low talking thing and trying to sound profound. I think I have a phobia of the creepy gnome shitehawk.

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict

I hope they don't sack him. Partly because I think he's a shite manager and a complete bluffer. But mostly because he gives me the creeps and I prefer knowing he's in Liverpool. If he was jobless he'd have the time to be anywhere. I get the shivers just thinking about going out to leave the rubbish out some night and there he is lurking behind the bins, doing his weird low talking thing and trying to sound profound. I think I have a phobia of the creepy gnome shitehawk.
"Your wheelie bin movement is outstanding."

"You showed great character."

swooshboy

Band of Brothers

The 22-year-old told CNN Sport: “I was so anxious for it to be my turn, for the manager to read the letter from my mum.

“I waited and waited for it. The manager had spoken to the mothers of every player in the team, he’d been reading a message before every game for months and finally my turn had come.

“At first, I didn’t know that the manager would be reading a letter from her, then he mentioned her name and I was really overwhelmed. It said she loved me, is proud of me, is always with me and missing me
Fecking hell are they away at school camp and away from home for the first time??

I'm trying, really trying, to imagine SAF reading out a letter from Keane's mother...

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I could have sworn there's a vine of Gerrard refusing to acknowledge Rodgers as he was leaving the pitch at Stamford Bridge.

SteveJ

Scout
Coutinho said:
The 22-year-old told CNN Sport: “I was so anxious for it to be my turn, for the manager to read the letter from my mum. I waited and waited for it."
Bloody hell, mate, you're in Liverpool, not at the North Pole.

SteveJ

Scout
swooshboy said:
I'm trying, really trying, to imagine SAF reading out a letter from Keane's mother
Mrs Keane said:
Never mind this 'mum' crap - address me by my proper title, you little bollix.

Status
Not open for further replies.