Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Wonder if Corbyn will have the balls to sack them ... Hes clearly got no intention of ever backing a second referendum no matter what the membership voted for
Guys like @Dobba are going to have to explain his 4d chess to me... Because I ain't getting it.

onemanarmy

This isn't 4D chess, it's like watching a bunch of drunk guys playing fecking jenga. with their feet. blindfolded.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
This isn't 4D chess, it's like watching a bunch of drunk guys playing fecking jenga. with their feet. blindfolded.
I liked the analogy I think I saw on here along the lines of "two guys in a bar arguing over how best to push open a door with 'pull' over the handle".

onemanarmy

I liked the analogy I think I saw on here along the lines of "two guys in a bar arguing over how best to push open a door with 'pull' over the handle".
While someone is on the other side of the door yelling at them to pull.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Don't think there's much wrong with what they did on that amendment, it's Kyle-Wilson that's the real thing.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
It's such a shame that Benn's amendment lost so narrowly. That would have taken the impetus right away from yet another presentation of May's deal. We might have actually seem some effective cross-party working, rather than in-party wrecking.

Eire Red United

It's about time for a change, no more of these assholes who role out of university, into some cushy little research job mummy.or daddy sorted for them then into politics
The people running the country should have actually done something in life. Worked their way up a career ladder not involved in politics, run a business (not just sat on the board of directors)
Put a former doctor in charge of the NHS, an account in charge of the excheqor etc. And send these inbred halfwits back to their country estates out of the way. Or give them a nice wall to lean against, a cigarette and a blindfold.
Sounds too much like common sense too me. Tut tut.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
The Irish premier, Leo Varadkar, has said London needs to tell the EU about what purpose an extension would serve and how long it would last.

Varadkar said he welcomed Westminster’s vote to extend Article 50 as it reduces the likelihood of a cliff edge, no-deal Brexit at the end of the month.

There seems to be two emerging options – ratification of the withdrawal agreement followed by a short extension into the summer, or a much longer extension that would give the UK time and space to decide what they want to do, including considering options that had been taken off the table like participation in the customs union and single market.

I think we need to be open to any request they make, listen attentively and be generous in our response. This matter will be now discussed further at next week’s European Council meeting and hopefully we will have more clarity from London in the meantime about their intentions.

Unanimity by the 27 will be required for any extension

Note: For Corbynista unicorn hunters : he says THE not A customs union and single market

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Wonder if Corbyn will have the balls to sack them ... Hes clearly got no intention of ever backing a second referendum no matter what the membership voted for
He'll twist and turn as long as possible to avoid one, that's for sure.

His supporters are still in denial, trying to pretend he's a Remainer who has to be careful not to upset the many Leavers who normally vote Labour, when in reality the opposite is the case, he's a lifelong Leaver who daren't admit it to his Momentum supporters, and it's easier for them to turn a blind eye to that than admit they've been backing the wrong man.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
It's about time for a change, no more of these assholes who role out of university, into some cushy little research job mummy.or daddy sorted for them then into politics
The people running the country should have actually done something in life. Worked their way up a career ladder not involved in politics, run a business (not just sat on the board of directors)
Put a former doctor in charge of the NHS, an account in charge of the excheqor etc. And send these inbred halfwits back to their country estates out of the way. Or give them a nice wall to lean against, a cigarette and a blindfold.
I've been saying this for a while. Career politicians needs to stop.

Rooney1987

It's such a shame that Benn's amendment lost so narrowly. That would have taken the impetus right away from yet another presentation of May's deal. We might have actually seem some effective cross-party working, rather than in-party wrecking.
What makes it worse it only lost by 2 votes and 6 Labour MPs voted against it.

Smores

What would actually happen if Benns amendment passed?
Usually the government sets the motions and business off the house, the amendment would have allowed ministers of any party to table a motion to be voted on e.g norway +, second ref or whatever.

It's why calls from the gov and commentators for MPs to input and do more is just guff. They simply can't unless the government provide the time for them to do so and they refuse to.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Usually the government sets the motions and business off the house, the amendment would have allowed ministers of any party to table a motion to be voted on e.g norway +, second ref or whatever.

It's why calls from the gov and commentators for MPs to input and do more is just guff. They simply can't unless the government provide the time for them to do so and they refuse to.
I've tried to imagine how Benn's amendment would have worked as well. I'm guessing any member could put forward a motion, but then the speaker would decide which to proceed with. Wow, the speaker would have a hell of a lot of power there. Know I might be wrong though.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
The closeness of the Benn vote is even more galling when you look deeper, one abstention was from Jared O'Mara (suspended from Labour, took Clegg's seat in 2017, who would've been for), another from Andrew Gwynne (who couldn't vote due to a family emergency, for which proxy votes aren't allowed) and another from Fiona Onasanya (nuff said).

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I've tried to imagine how Benn's amendment would have worked as well. I'm guessing any member could put forward a motion, but then the speaker would decide which to proceed with. Wow, the speaker would have a hell of a lot of power there. Know I might be wrong though.
I think ordinarily preference is given to the following criteria
Has it been proposed officially by the government or a major opposition party
Does it have multiple proposers and is it cross party support
Does the tabled amendment have numerous signatures indicating support
I suspect you would have ended up with
Managed no deal... This would loose
Mays deal... Would have lost 3 times already
Mays deal with confirmation referendum... Probably loose but close
Extension of A50 for referendum... Probably loose
Remain in single market and customs union... Probably close but gut feel it still just looses
Resind A50... Probably looses

Then I guess a confidence motion... And probably the government survives

At which point the EU probably think good riddance and continue to argue amongst yourself...

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
The closeness of the Benn vote is even more galling when you look deeper, one abstention was from Jared O'Mara (suspended from Labour, took Clegg's seat in 2017, who would've been for), another from Andrew Gwynne (who couldn't vote due to a family emergency, for which proxy votes aren't allowed) and another from Fiona Onasanya (nuff said).
Gwynne's Twitter says he was paired, as it happens. I'm surprised it didn't get a majority- it sends a poor message outwith the UK about MPs' willingness to work co-operatively in this situation.

We all know what Mrs May intends to do, she's banking on getting her way at the very last moment. It's like some awful game of chicken.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Gwynne's Twitter says he was paired, as it happens. I'm surprised it didn't get a majority- it sends a poor message outwith the UK about MPs' willingness to work co-operatively in this situation.

We all know what Mrs May intends to do, she's banking on getting her way at the very last moment. It's like some awful game of chicken.
Indeed loose meaningful vote 3 next week... Off to see the EU leaders on Wednesday / Thursday.

Offer / threaten a long extension and on Friday announce meaningful vote 4... Probably Wednesday night... Something like 40 hours before no deal happens by default

To be fair it's her only hope of getting her deal through and it might happen

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
I've been saying this for a while. Career politicians needs to stop.
Absolutely, bunch of lazy arrogant entitled elitist crusty out of touch delusional pricks who think they are our rulers rather than our servants.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Indeed loose meaningful vote 3 next week... Off to see the EU leaders on Wednesday / Thursday.

Offer / threaten a long extension and on Friday announce meaningful vote 4... Probably Wednesday night... Something like 40 hours before no deal happens by default

To be fair it's her only hope of getting her deal through and it might happen
Still no assurance that Bercow will allow MV3 let alone 4.

mitChley

Not surprising, the mans a cnut.
Source: I knew him for 4 years