Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RedChip

Not to be rude but as foreigner living over here for the past 15 years, it was pretty clear that once the UK had a referendum people were going to vote to leave.
To me anyway it was far more shocking that people thought it couldn't happened.

Although I do think the Brexit divide stuff is completely overdone. Hardly anyone I know or talked to since the referendum result cares about brexit, I remember a whole group of us (leave voters and remain voters) were talking about Brexit and within a couple of minutes we all got very bored and talked about the snooker on the telly.

It's hardly mad max over here.
Hence why I said “my perception”. I was either very wrong about the UK or Brexit brought out some of the UK’s darker side. I actually think it is both of these. The problem is now it is out there, however it happened, and the UK is quite bit more toxic.

Classical Mechanic

There was a funny segment on Channel 4 news where they were talking to people hoarding food in their lofts because of the impending Brexit apocalypse.

The interviewer said: 'why are you hoarding all this, its all produced in Britain?'

The reply was: 'I know but we might get in a situation where we get to the shop and they've run out of coconut milk'

Just about sums up the middle class remain hysteria.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
That's really fecking bad. If they'd stick to their guns or not given the situation we might all find ourselves in is another matter but the idea of get out and sort it later looks even more foolish
This was always the case. Unless the Uk are going to cancel Brexit they've still got to have the withdrawal agreement and these matters have to be resolved at some point.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Not to be rude but as foreigner living over here for the past 15 years, it was pretty clear that once the UK had a referendum people were going to vote to leave.
To me anyway it was far more shocking that people thought it couldn't happened.

Although I do think the Brexit divide stuff is completely overdone. Hardly anyone I know or talked to since the referendum result cares about brexit, I remember a whole group of us (leave voters and remain voters) were talking about Brexit and within a couple of minutes we all got very bored and talked about the snooker on the telly.

I realise we're hard-core remainers. :) I know many people are bored with it all, but I really think it'll kick off again when we actually leave. Some people are already losing their jobs.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
This was always the case. Unless the Uk are going to cancel Brexit they've still got to have the withdrawal agreement and these matters have to be resolved at some point.
Barnier has said they won't talk trade deals until the backstop/border issue is sorted in a no deal scenario.

Paul the Wolf

Barnier has said they won't talk trade deals until the backstop/border issue is sorted in a no deal scenario.
Yes . The problem is that the impression I get is that the Uk parliament expect to have some kind of trade deal at the moment the UK leaves. If they truly want Brexit, sign the WA and discuss the rest afterwards.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
There is a lack of tolerance but, at the end of the day, if one side is proposing hugely disruptive changes, the onus is on that side to justify the decision rather than the side in favour of the status quo. Unfortunately, aside from that tiny percentage of Leavers who are extreme free market ideologues and want to have a bonfire of regulations, in the last three years I have yet to hear any logically compelling argument for Brexit. It’s a mixture of people with genuine grievances lashing out at the wrong target combined with old folk bemoaning the fact that life used to be much simpler.
Agreed, for the most part :)

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Honestly what is the point with some of you? It becomes 10 extreme remainers (ironically most are not even from the UK) against 1 leaver which you continually patronise, insult and belittle. Then you proclaim victory because the leaver can't be bothered to make any further points without being insulted about his opinion.
This is pretty much what ive observed from this thread. I voted remain but I similarly got a fair few patronising comments just from saying (and explaining why) I agreed with @Strachans Cigar on a couple of things.

You can look back through my posts in this thread if you dont believe me that I am a remain voter, and I am as passionate about the subject as anyone. A lot of the regulars in this thread however, are in a complete echo chamber where they can collectively nitpick and desperately poke holes in whatever someone else says, and then collectively congratulate themselves whilst questioning why none of the leavers can be bothered to keep responding.

Admittedly I enjoyed watching it at first, clenching my fists and shouting "take that, leaver!" as they got shouted down one by one, but over time (probably due to emotions continuing to rise as the various deadlines have approached/come/gone) it has degenerated from massively biased to simply hostile.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
There was a funny segment on Channel 4 news where they were talking to people hoarding food in their lofts because of the impending Brexit apocalypse.

The interviewer said: 'why are you hoarding all this, its all produced in Britain?'

The reply was: 'I know but we might get in a situation where we get to the shop and they've run out of coconut milk'

Just about sums up the middle class remain hysteria.
Not making any comment on whether food shortages are likely, but stockpiling food wouldn’t theoretically matter where it came from. If there were sudden shortages of imported goods, there would be a massive increase in demand on domestically produced food, which could easily lead to shortages there too. Given that food has a long production time, that could be a serious issue.

MadMike

Yes . The problem is that the impression I get is that the Uk parliament expect to have some kind of trade deal at the moment the UK leaves. If they truly want Brexit, sign the WA and discuss the rest afterwards.
The "problem" with signing the WA, and the reason hard Brexiteers don't want it, is that the only future deal it can lead to is a soft CU+SM type of exit. Because in the WA is clearly outlined the UK and EU's commitment to no border in Ireland. If the GFA wasn't already compelling enough.

That means the possible future options are:
a) Great Britain is out-out but the backstop becomes permanent (NI is in the SM, sovereignty issues ensue)
b) UK agrees a deal with SM access
c) We get stuck in the WA state indefinitely until future technological solution solves the problem.

I think a) is clearly undesirable and c) is really just the same as b) just not ratified as permanent and with no exit mechanisms. So for those that want simply an FTA with the EU and full sovereignty, it's not acceptable.

Obviously these people haven't explained to us what they plan to do with the Irish border, but you know. Details.

Smores

Well it wouldn't be a withdrawal agreement after we've already left but yeah i take your point. Same shit different name

Basically just saying they'll need to be a hard border under no deal before we talk, which i guess we did already know

Paul the Wolf

The "problem" with signing the WA, and the reason hard Brexiteers don't want it, is that the only future deal it can lead to is a soft CU+SM type of exit. Because in the WA is clearly outlined the UK and EU's commitment to no border in Ireland. If the GFA wasn't already compelling enough.

That means the possible future options are:
a) Great Britain is out-out but the backstop becomes permanent (NI is in the SM, sovereignty issues ensue)
b) UK agrees a deal with SM access
c) We get stuck in the WA state indefinitely until future technological solution solves the problem.

I think a) is clearly undesirable and c) is really just the same as b) just not ratified as permanent and with no exit mechanisms. So for those that want simply an FTA with the EU and full sovereignty, it's not acceptable.

Obviously these people haven't explained to us what they plan to do with the Irish border, but you know. Details.
Agreed but there is only one solution to the Irish border without breaking the GFA and that is Northern Ireland being part of the CU and SM. Someone had better make up their mind what they want, which is essentially what the EU is saying.

Paul the Wolf

Well it wouldn't be a withdrawal agreement after we've already left but yeah i take your point. Same shit different name

Basically just saying they'll need to be a hard border under no deal before we talk, which i guess we did already know
Yes but the Uk have to sort out the border with or without a deal and with or without a FTA.

dogrob

Just Watching The Wheels Go Round And Round
I don't think remainers have to justify anything. We were happy with the status quo, we wanted it to continue, we liked being part of Europe with all the benefits that confers. Personally, I see no negatives at all to being a member of the EU.

I was 17 when we had the last referendum, and although I was just too young to vote I was involved in doorstep canvassing on behalf of the "yes" campaign. I've been European for my whole adult life and now I'm at retirement age, it's being taken away from me.

I'm extremely upset about losing my European citizen status, losing my right to vote for MEPs, losing the freedom to easily travel to and live within European countries. I can't think of another domestic political issue that's had such an impact on the way I feel, and I've been voting for 42 years now.
Well said @Penna I have just sent off papers that will allow me to live and work in Germany which I have been doing for the last 28 years, the best thing it is going to cost me money to do this I talked today to a guy who used to work for the same company that I do he is a truck driver who has decided to get German Nationality because he often has to drive to Holland and he told me what you have to pay to become German.

25€ for the Naturalisation Test.
140€ for the language test which you have to do regardless of whether you speak fluent German or not.
255€ for the Naturalisation

Which is a grand total of 420€ and getting a permanent residence permit probably around a 100€ despite the fact that I had a permanent residence permit for EWG states that I got in 1996 until the changes due to the EU. In all honesty both the EU and the UK should have from the start discussed and created reciprocal agreements so that EU citizens in the UK and UK citizens in Europe could get either naturalisation or permanent residence with as little fuss and cost as possible and being honest I trust neither to do right by people like us as we are pawns.

Just now I am firmly in the camp on Friday that the EU tells the UK your out go away and sink into obscurity as I am sick, tired and so fed up of this whole farce and will finally know one way or another where I stand, if I wish to visit the UK will I require a visa to travel through Holland etc. etc.

Another thing that has annoyed me is that I never had a vote because I have lived outside of the UK for over 15 years, as long as I possess a British Passport I am a British citizen and as such should have a say.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
This is the level of intellect we have to deal with. Can you explain why seasonal workers will no longer be allowed in from eu?
Is one of the central goals of Brexit not the reduction of EU immigration? If so there will be less migrant workers available if Brexiteers get their wish. Obviously.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Is one of the central goals of Brexit not the reduction of EU immigration? If so there will be less migrant workers available if Brexiteers get their wish. Obviously.
They want foreigners for work but they want them not to be foreign, not to live in Britain, not be near them, not use any resources.

Maticmaker

Can someone help me out here, for 'Sainthood' to be conveyed on someone doesn't there have to be proof of a miracle being worked in their name?

Well I suspect Theresa May is about to revoke A50 and blame the hapless Jeremy because he won't sign her deal, hence deliver the miracle required to confirm her sainthood status for Remainers.

In one stroke May will become the Joan of Arc of Remainers; unfortunately for her she will be metaphorically 'burnt at the stake' (removed from office and probably the party) by Tories, who will hence forth refer to her as the Wicked Witch of the West.

There will then follow a GE, which with the interference from the Brexit party (i.e. hoovering up enraged leavers votes) and in so doing undermining the Tories to such an extent that Corbyn will win. Jeremy will then have the unenviable job of trying to implement his wonderful election manifesto but without any money, because there will be a mass exodus of capital and its owners from these shores; hence unable to tax the very rich to fund his plans Jeremy will have to tax the middle income earners and indeed all who haven't enough personal wealth to escape a Marxist (if it moves tax it) Government.

Meanwhile back in the Counties/Shires the Tories are undergoing a 'slash and burn' self-purging and are planning rebirth as a one nation party, devoted to constantly panning from the side-lines everything to do with the EU, thereby reclaiming Farage's Brexit followers to the Tory cause of a true hard-line Brexit, their slogan will be "Boris is at the Wheel".

Silva

Can someone help me out here, for 'Sainthood' to be conveyed on someone doesn't there have to be proof of a miracle being worked in their name?

Well I suspect Theresa May is about to revoke A50 and blame the hapless Jeremy because he won't sign her deal, hence deliver the miracle required to confirm her sainthood status for Remainers.

In one stroke May will become the Joan of Arc of Remainers; unfortunately for her she will be metaphorically 'burnt at the stake' (removed from office and probably the party) by Tories, who will hence forth refer to her as the Wicked Witch of the West.

There will then follow a GE, which with the interference from the Brexit party (i.e. hoovering up enraged leavers votes) and in so doing undermining the Tories to such an extent that Corbyn will win. Jeremy will then have the unenviable job of trying to implement his wonderful election manifesto but without any money, because there will be a mass exodus of capital and its owners from these shores; hence unable to tax the very rich to fund his plans Jeremy will have to tax the middle income earners and indeed all who haven't enough personal wealth to escape a Marxist (if it moves tax it) Government.

Meanwhile back in the Counties/Shires the Tories are undergoing a 'slash and burn' self-purging and are planning rebirth as a one nation party, devoted to constantly panning from the side-lines everything to do with the EU, thereby reclaiming Farage's Brexit followers to the Tory cause of a true hard-line Brexit, their slogan will be "Boris is at the Wheel".
this isn't the stupid fiction thread, it's the stupid thread

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

It will be the greatest heel turn in professional wrestling politics.

MadMike

This is the level of intellect we have to deal with. Can you explain why seasonal workers will no longer be allowed in from eu?
Did you miss the part where the EU workers simply stopped coming once their rights and futures were no longer guaranteed? The damage to him is already done.

I find the same in my industry, IT.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I realise we're hard-core remainers. :) I know many people are bored with it all, but I really think it'll kick off again when we actually leave. Some people are already losing their jobs.
Already essentially missed out on a new job in the public sector. Basically told I had it, only for it to be delayed until the end of summer. Little birdy who works there told me they're waiting to see what post-Brexit budget is like.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Already essentially missed out on a new job in the public sector. Basically told I had it, only for it to be delayed until the end of summer. Little birdy who works there told me they're waiting to see what post-Brexit budget is like.
I'm sorry, that's a shame for you. I hope you still get it.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I'm sorry, that's a shame for you. I hope you still get it.
Thanks :) I'm looking elsewhere though. Possibly a blessing in disguise as I don't really wanna be in the public sector anymore, but more money while I keep looking would've been nice!

Paul the Wolf

The Labour leader, Jeremy Corbyn, has released a more detailed statement on this evening’s Brexit talks with the government, in which he reiterates that Labour wants to see the prime minister adopt its five key points in order to reach a cross-party deal:

Today, I held a meeting of our shadow cabinet to discuss the Brexit talks with the government. The exchanges with the government have been serious but our shadow cabinet expressed frustration that the prime minister has not yet moved off her red lines so we can reach a compromise.

The key issues that we must see real movement on to secure an agreement are a customs union with the EU, alignment with the single market and full dynamic alignment of workers’ rights, environmental protections and consumer standards.

So in summary, May hasn't moved and Corbyn hasn't moved. Not one thing has changed.

Please, EU, we really are close to a solution, just a little more time and we'll really not just kick the can down the road.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
If we do (somehow) end up involved in the elections, it'll be interesting to see what stance pro-Brexit types take on it. Will they advocate a boycott, because we're obviously meant to be leaving, or will they try to win some seats anyway, not wanting to lose any EU influence we have until we're officially out?

Silva

If we do (somehow) end up involved in the elections, it'll be interesting to see what stance pro-Brexit types take on it. Will they advocate a boycott, because we're obviously meant to be leaving, or will they try to win some seats anyway, not wanting to lose any EU influence we have until we're officially out?
as if Farage is going to risk another paycheck

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
No, they'll try to use them as a de facto second ref and hope the usual turnout disparity happens.

Stanley Road

Renaissance Man
Did you miss the part where the EU workers simply stopped coming once their rights and futures were no longer guaranteed? The damage to him is already done.

I find the same in my industry, IT.
We cant get them because there are no more qualified available, that's we we look to SA, Brazil, Mexico, Russia etc. Oh, they are also non EU members.

MadMike

We cant get them because there are no more qualified available, that's we we look to SA, Brazil, Mexico, Russia etc. Oh, they are also non EU members.
The bolded part makes no sense, can you please explain what you mean?

We can already look at those countries, nothing prevents us from bringing people in on working visas atm. Apart from the visa process costing time and money that is. And somehow Dave from the C4 docu didn't manage to plug the gap that was left with workers from those nations.

Paul the Wolf

Do you really think he is the one that has to move??? it's her deal that's been rejected not his ffs.
Umm, for a start his has been rejected three times , the same as May. You obviously missed that. His is impossible anyway.

I was referring to both not just Corbyn.
But, to leave with a deal the WA has to be signed. Edit - it already is signed - I mean ratified.