Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
What resistance could they do ? If they back another referendum(Which they have in the past)it won't make tories vote against their party and it won't turn labour leave mp into remain mps. Labour have tabled motions on a public vote but it was defeated by again tories not voting against their party and Labour leave MPs. There is nothing the leadership of the party can do if they don't have the votes in parliament.

And this isn't me just defending Corbyn/Labour, all of this shit show could of been avoided if the party democratised itself and gave members a vote on it's brexit policy.
They presumably didn't want to do that because the membership is overwhelmingly pro-Remain and would've immediately put pave to any of Corbyn's pro-Brexit whims.

Smores

Unless the government collapse, then yeah, it's very unlikely we'll see a PV but by the same token a managed deal isn't any more likely - Corbyn's stance still somewhat seems to be that once he's in power the EU will be more willing to acquiesce to his unrealistic demands than they currently are to the Tories. Which is obviously an unrealistic stance.

In an ideal world there'd be room for prominent politicians at the top with a nuanced and balanced view of the EU issue, but considering the polarisation we now have you've very much got to either be solidly for Leave or against Brexit completely at this point; sitting in the middle-ground isn't going to get you particularly far for the most part. If the PV campaign want to mount pressure on the current government and turn the tide of public opinion then they're obviously going to want the head of the biggest Remain party to be someone who actually believes in their cause. In the same way Brexiteers are now at the point where they're demanding a proper Brexiteer be at the helm.

But I was largely responding to the wider point that Corbyn supports a second referendum: he only tacitly supports one in certain circumstances because he's being forced to for the most part. That's hardly the endorsement Remainers want to see and to suggest it is would be quite dishonest.
They are related though as the hesitancy is related to not making a potentially damaging choice if it's pointless anyway. That's fairly common sense. Now if we're arguing that politically the current choice is not going to win votes then i agree.

I said it ages ago but the EU are the only ones who can take us out of this loop. They need to provide alternative options, not changing the current WA but laying out Option B and Option C. It would close off any such unicorns we keep hearing as all would be on the table for parliament to decide, which do you want? A, B, C, no deal or no brexit.

Sweet Square

ˈkämyənəst
He hasn't unequivocally backed a public vote though, he's still saying he only backs one if a managed deal with the EU can't be reached. That isn't the same as properly backing one.
As @Smores says the goal of the party is not be a cheerleader for tiny section remain people. Corbyn wrapping himself in a EU flag and representing the views of the people on Remain marches doesn't actually change anything.

Look if the ultra remain people were serious, they would have joined the labour membership after 2016 and try to democratise the party with the goal of changing labour Brexit position. But what they've instead done is complain and moan on twitter about politicians not meeting their every cultural preference(Liberal have turned into the left of the past).

And scepticism is warranted. If Blair had been on the verge of losing in, say, 2005 but had promised a more leftist platform in order to get elected, would you have actually believed a word he'd been saying? You'd have been completely justified in not buying into him.
Mate I wouldn't be voting for Blair post 2002.

But who said not to be sceptical ? But had Blair made similar left wing moves as Corbyn has done to Remain, I would have considered it a win for the left but in the end my answer will always be the same, it doesn't particular matter because without a democratised party everything else is pretty much useless.

They presumably didn't want to do that because the membership is overwhelmingly pro-Remain and would've immediately put pave to any of Corbyn's pro-Brexit whims.
Pretty much but had there been a democratisation of the party since Corbyns time(Which the left have wanted but the Labour Right/PLP/Union don't) then the actual position the party took would have been far more difficult to justify.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
They are related though as the hesitancy is related to not making a potentially damaging choice if it's pointless anyway. That's fairly common sense. Now if we're arguing that politically the current choice is not going to win votes then i agree.

I said it ages ago but the EU are the only ones who can take us out of this loop. They need to provide alternative options, not changing the current WA but laying out Option B and Option C. It would close off any such unicorns we keep hearing as all would be on the table for parliament to decide, which do you want? A, B, C, no deal or no brexit.
The EU need to provide alternative options?

What sort of alternative options are you thinking about (which doesn't include unicorns)?

The UK won't agree to maintain citizens rights, pay what they owe or maintain the GFA , that's what parliament, Tories and Labour and all the rest of them have voted against.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout

Why though? Our inability to reach a deal is our fault, not theirs. They have stated their terms and conditions from the start. Either we match them or we don't get anything - struggle to see that changing.

Smores

Why though? Our inability to reach a deal is our fault, not theirs. They have stated their terms and conditions from the start. Either we match them or we don't get anything - struggle to see that changing.
It is our fault absolutely but their relatively non-political nature should have them work above whomever the PM is that week. Given the timetables involved it would have made sense at the start not to restrict options to only those our current government desired. It should have been advisory, here's your options now decide as a nation what you want. What they couldn't do and i agree with it is speak to the opposition directly to form another route as that would be political interference.

And i know that the WA is less about options than the political declaration element but this has and will always be discussed as one.

Silva

It is our fault absolutely but their relatively non-political nature should have them work above whomever the PM is that week. Given the timetables involved it would have made sense at the start not to restrict options to only those our current government desired. It should have been advisory, here's your options now decide as a nation what you want. What they couldn't do and i agree with it is speak to the opposition directly to form another route as that would be political interference.

And i know that the WA is less about options than the political declaration element but this has and will always be discussed as one.
most of the restrictions came from Mays red lines not the EU, they've said they're willing to remove the backstop if the UK is willing to agree to other measures that remove the need for an Irish border, i.e permanent customs unions

the reason they won't renegotiate is because the UK is only adding red lines rather removing them

and at some point when you're negotiating, if the demands are excessive you just have to give up and accept it won't happen, and the EU has accepted that

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Yesterday's news.

You can't stop "no deal" unless Brexit is cancelled or parliament ratifies the WA - both rejected by parliament. Yes it's sort of pointless.
I just wish that people would focus on the facts and not their emotions.
The facts are those you have started about and have consistently stated almost since the beginning.

I just have to laugh when I hear candidates trying to convince people that THEY will be able to get the EU to renegotiate the WA.
It ain't going to happen...

Has any candidate said that we must accept the WA and move on to negotiate the FA ?

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
It won’t.

Steven Seagull

The facts are those you have started about and have consistently stated almost since the beginning.

I just have to laugh when I hear candidates trying to convince people that THEY will be able to get the EU to renegotiate the WA.

Has any candidate said that we must accept the WA and move on to negotiate the FA ?
Only Rory Stewart from what I’ve seen. Struggling to give a flying feck about the race though so may have missed it

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Government defeats cross-party bid to allow MPs to legislate to rule out no-deal
The government has won by 309 votes to 298 - a majority of 11.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Government defeats cross-party bid to allow MPs to legislate to rule out no-deal
The government has won by 309 votes to 298 - a majority of 11.
any breakdown available of who voted for what - would be interesting to see how many opposition didnt block no deal (and who) and equally who in the government votes to block it

in fact actually there is 650 MP's ... I find it crazy that apparently 43 of them (over 6%) either couldnt be bothered or dont have an opinion on the matter

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips

There are several problems, there's the emotional side but also some sense of party loyalty so if one is staunch Labour or staunch Tory they will defend that point of view regardless of how ridiculous it is.
Plus many people seem to believe that the WA will include some kind of trade deal. The public in the UK have been told so many lies, looking from the outside it looks incomprehensible that the UK is in this state.

Both the Tory party and Labour party are only interested in being in power, Brexit is a side-show. When the music stops and the party in power at the time of Brexit have to sort out all the consequences they'll wish that they weren't in power.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Javid's launch now, astonishingly annoying due to how highly he clearly thinks of himself.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Feel the same about the Tories, except I don't have a viable alternative.
No matter which side you're on, it's amazing how gloriously ineffectual the parties in British politics have become. I'd seriously go back to the days of Cameron, with the proviso that "austerity measures" and George Osborne are flung out of the nearest window by the end of this year at the latest.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
No matter which side you're on, it's amazing how gloriously ineffectual the parties in British politics have become. I'd seriously go back to the days of Cameron, with the proviso that "austerity measures" and George Osborne are flung out of the nearest window by the end of this year at the latest.
The thing is, if this Brexit bollocks hadn't stopped the Government getting on with the business of running the country, we would most probably be all done with it by now and we would be looking at a rosier future.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
So why does Britain have to go ahead with Brexit? Why can't the decision be reversed?

JohnnyKills

Honestly thought for months that we would get a second vote. Can't see that happening after the no-deal vote.