Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I'm picturing you driving around in a white van shouting "phwaoooooorrrrr orite luv?" at random women on the street.
Much more fun than 'Gerronwivit. Dunno wot da problem is. Jus leev. Simple. Just like me'.

Rajma

You would feel sorry for a person under normal circumstances they way first week has gone for him but then you remember what an odious cretin he is and it all goes away. Feck him hope he suffers much more.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Have you got room for a Welsh lad who wants to move from Hereford to somewhere that realises it's not 1972 anymore? Happy to do the cooking and cleaning!
You can spell words correctly. You shall be our new Master of Words and Shit.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
John Major:

'The government must change its tone. Ministers routinely insult half the electorate as “Remoaners”. The surgeon who drew up the Yellowhammer risk register of epilepsy and neurology drugs is told he is a “fear-mongering Remainer”.

Businessmen are warned that a negative attitude on Brexit will lead to their companies being frozen out of any future government consultation. This is behaviour I never thought to see from any British government, and it must stop.

The abuse comes from Cabinet ministers; and the threats from No 10 special advisers. I repeat: it must stop.

Ahead lie many challenges. If we are to meet them we need government of the highest quality, not government by bluster and threat in a climate of aggressive bullying.'

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
John Major:

'The government must change its tone. Ministers routinely insult half the electorate as “Remoaners”. The surgeon who drew up the Yellowhammer risk register of epilepsy and neurology drugs is told he is a “fear-mongering Remainer”.

Businessmen are warned that a negative attitude on Brexit will lead to their companies being frozen out of any future government consultation. This is behaviour I never thought to see from any British government, and it must stop.

The abuse comes from Cabinet ministers; and the threats from No 10 special advisers. I repeat: it must stop.

Ahead lie many challenges. If we are to meet them we need government of the highest quality, not government by bluster and threat in a climate of aggressive bullying.'
Major comes across very impressive whenever he talks on Brexit. Sadly he'll be labelled a 'remoaner' and his words won't be heeded.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I shall serve with honour and gratitude my lord
Pfft, I've been offered a job as Minister for Technology in Boris's Cabinet. Apparently he saw me frantically tapping the top of the Caf, thinking the Twitter Transfers link would magically appear.

Smores

I honestly thought he might do well during a campaign but it's clear he's fecking hopeless. May looked cold and robotic but he looks genuinely lost most of the time, like you expect his carer to intervene.

Smores

Major comes across very impressive whenever he talks on Brexit. Sadly he'll be labelled a 'remoaner' and his words won't be heeded.
I'm convinced if Boris or Gove suddenly saw the light and started warning of the brexit dangers they'd just be labelled remoaners instantly.

That's what happens when you instil such a mindset into the public.

MadMike

I'm convinced if Boris or Gove suddenly saw the light and started warning of the brexit dangers they'd just be labelled remoaners instantly.

That's what happens when you instil such a mindset into the public.
They can't control the monster they've created, not that they seem to want to control it yet. They just hope it'll miraculously go away when Brexit is delivered.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
They can't control the monster they've created, not that they seem to want to control it yet. They just hope it'll miraculously go away when Brexit is delivered.
They never expected May to resign. It fecked up their plans to take over after the Brexit mess was signed, sealed and delivered.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
John Major:

Says it all when Major wasn’t even a great PM but he’s intellectually planets ahead of anyone in the current cabinet.

MadMike

They never expected May to resign. It fecked up their plans to take over after the Brexit mess was signed, sealed and delivered.
What? They sabotaged her relentlessly and in her last 6 months they were actively pressuring her to resign.

She fecked it up for them by going to a GE, employing a disastrous campaigning strategy of actually refusing to campaign and debate the other leaders, then losing them the outright majority.

I think that if they had the outright majority and not be dependent on the DUP, they would have probably passed the WAB on the 3rd meaningful vote.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan

Even BJ fan girls are beginning to think it’s not worth it.

Bombastic Boris in trouble!

esmufc07

Brad
Scout

Even BJ fan girls are beginning to think it’s not worth it.

Bombastic Boris in trouble!
We can only hope. I'm praying the more the public see of him the more they'll realise they cannot vote for him. Wishful thinking on my part though I'm guessing.

Will be interesting to see how the next set of polls look.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
From Guardian live:

2h ago 18:15

Boris Johnson's speech and Q&A - Snap verdict
That was the most extraordinary prime ministerial press conference we’ve seen for years - perhaps not quite as dramatic as Theresa May’s “nothing has changed” meltdown, but certainly more peculiar. Even by Johnson’s standards, it was rambling and shambolic. The only rational explanation I can think for what happened is that it is all part of some ultra-cunning plan to convince Jeremy Corbyn that he can vote for an election because Johnson will be such a hopeless campaigner, but life normally doesn’t work like that. If it looks like a cock-up, it probably is a cock-up.

First, the backdrop was pure Donald Trump. Although ostensibly an event to promote the government’s police recruitment plans, this was obviously a party political event - No 10 described it this morning as day one of the election campaign - and so there was something clearly improper about getting the police to act as extras on set. And if you do want to present yourself as a politician committed to supporting the police, it is best not to force them to stand in the sun for so long (Johnson started about an hour late) that they start dropping like flies.

If you do invite people to listen to a speech and then force them to wait, you should at least prepare something of merit to say. But Johnson wasn’t speaking from a script, and he appeared to have given very little thought to what he wanted to say about policing (beyond a threadbare argument about policing being at the heart of a successful economy). At one point he launched into a very bizarre routine about the police caution; quite what that was all about remains a mystery. Of course, sounding improvised is part of the Johnson schtick - in his Churchill biography he quotes approvingly the FE Smith line that Churchill “spent the best years of his life preparing his impromptu remarks”; Johnson has mastered the same trick himself - but today this did not sound like artful spontaneity. To be honest, it sounded like he had had a glass too many at lunchtime.

On Monday Johnson stood outside Number 10 and said he did not want an election. Today’s message was all about taunting/shaming Corbyn into agreeing one. Even someone as practiced at inconsistency as Johnson would find this hard to pull off, and in the office where I was watching his insincerity seemed obvious - although perhaps outside the “bubble” people may be willing to credit his claim that he doesn’t really want an election at all.

To his credit, Johnson did take a large number of questions. His most interesting line was his assertion that he would rather “die in a ditch” than request an article 50 extension in October, as he might be obliged to by a bill becoming law on Monday. That did not sound literally true either, but at least that was a hyperbole untruth, not a statement of bad faith. Perhaps leave voters, and the wider group of voters who just want the Brexit crisis saga to end, will cheer this message. But whether that compensates for the overall impression of omnishambles is another matter.

Sweet Square

ˈkämyənəst
I honestly thought he might do well during a campaign but it's clear he's fecking hopeless. May looked cold and robotic but he looks genuinely lost most of the time, like you expect his carer to intervene.
Boris is just following a pattern after May of the tory party being completely fecked in the long term. For all the talk post brexit about the tories ''ending austerity'', ''One nation toryism'' etc. They really don't believe any of it, even the spending plan yesterday was barely a move away from the last few years, its basically at best stopping the cutting but nothing more.

So when they go out into the public they've literally got nothing.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
It's either political rope a dope and once the election starts he's going to kick into a higher gear... Or the conservative party are fecked ... I suspect a bit of both and he won't have many (if any) weeks as bad as this but for sure his brand is damaged

When I saw him today my mind went to his rambling about making buses out of wine crates

He wasn't great in the conservative debates either

Infra-red

We can only hope. I'm praying the more the public see of him the more they'll realise they cannot vote for him. Wishful thinking on my part though I'm guessing.

Will be interesting to see how the next set of polls look.
Labour must be loving every moment of this. Even more reason to drag it out longer. Indeed, keeping this going and avoiding the temptation to give Johnson a GE until November, has to be the strategy for Corbyn now.

Missing his "no ifs, no buts" 31st Oct deadline (and being forced to ask the EU for an extension) should drive something of a wedge between Johnson and the Brexit Party and will cast the PM as a failure in the eyes of the voters. In the interim, Johnson is also guaranteed to continue embarrassing himself, further degrading his public image.

It's a win-win for Labour, if they can only hold their nerve.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
It’s all a bit surreal to be honest. After all the entertainment of the previous 2 days in the House of Commons (can’t remember spending the last time being so entertained watching the telly) then watching him today make a complete pillock of himself. His advisers must have their palms engraved on there foreheads. It’s a bit like watching.. errr.. errrmmm.. me trying my hand at being PM (although I reckon even I might be slightly less incompetent as PM).

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
It's either political rope a dope and once the election starts he's going to kick into a higher gear... Or the conservative party are fecked ... I suspect a bit of both and he won't have many (if any) weeks as bad as this but for sure his brand is damaged

When I saw him today my mind went to his rambling about making buses out of wine crates

He wasn't great in the conservative debates either
Genuinely think he’s trying to construct a Trump like persona and the incoherence is intentional.

Crazy really, he’s attempting to emulate dementia for the sake of a beneficial political image.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Cant see how BJ will unify the tory base when so many disaffected powerful tories are out to expose him, along with the opposition

The upcoming General Election is going to be thrilling entertainment.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Could this week get any worse? Has there ever been a worse week for a Prime Minister?
Perhaps not yet but I suspect it could get worse
14th October parliament reconvenes and queens speech made
15th October labour calls confidence motion which government looses
16th October travel to eu summit
17th basically mocked at EU summit
18th come back home and be mocked
19th have to present new bill to parliament or the bill kicks in
20th either resign or agree to go to Europe and ask for an extension

Suspect his temper might flair up once or twice if he has to go through that

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Labour must be loving every moment of this. Even more reason to drag it out longer. Indeed, keeping this going and avoiding the temptation to give Johnson a GE until November, has to be the strategy for Corbyn now.

Missing his "no ifs, no buts" 31st Oct deadline (and being forced to ask the EU for an extension) should drive something of a wedge between Johnson and the Brexit Party and will cast the PM as a failure in the eyes of the voters. In the interim, Johnson is also guaranteed to continue embarrassing himself, further degrading his public image.

It's a win-win for Labour, if they can only hold their nerve.
Labour have their own worrying propensity to feck it up though, as we all know. Nothing feels like a banker at the mo'.

Infra-red

Labour have their own worrying propensity to feck it up though, as we all know. Nothing feels like a banker at the mo'.
Oh yes, that's entirely possible. Keir Starmer appears to have ruled out an October election. Others (including Corbyn) will likely be chomping at the bit to accept a GE early next week. The latter might of course get their way, which would be a major tactical error.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
What? They sabotaged her relentlessly and in her last 6 months they were actively pressuring her to resign.

She fecked it up for them by going to a GE, employing a disastrous campaigning strategy of actually refusing to campaign and debate the other leaders, then losing them the outright majority.

I think that if they had the outright majority and not be dependent on the DUP, they would have probably passed the WAB on the 3rd meaningful vote.
They smelled blood when Cameron was PM, tried to take over themselves by using Brexit as their campaign fuel, royally shat the bed and allowed May to win by default, then they tried stirring it up again hoping May would at least see Brexit through to the end before they would take over. But she didn't and now they're having to deal with the mess that they caused.

It's the only thing about this whole crap ordeal that's delicious.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Oh yes, that's entirely possible. Keir Starmer appears to have ruled out an October election. Others (including Corbyn) will likely be chomping at the bit to accept a GE early next week. The latter might of course get their way, which would be a major tactical error.
Yeah I'd rather see a couple more weeks of him frustrated as a lame duck too.
McDonnell seems to be reining more gung ho colleagues in on the election though hopefully.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
We are being given a false choice if we think the options are between Tory (currently led by a charlatan) which brought us to this and Lib/Dem and their variants who would rather Brexit than support Labour who actually are interested in what happens to millions and want to prevent us walking off a cliff.

If people do not get what they need they will eventually try and take it themselves, failing which they will blame the immigrants. This scapegoating has been done for years by those in power.
We have seen this film before and it does not have a happy ending.

The only way out is to transfer the pain to those who have been riding the gravy train all these years. They need to pay their fair share and relief needs to be given those who are suffering now and will suffer even more if the worst happens.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Can I ask why Hilary Benn was never selected for the top Labour job? Has he got some dark past that I've missed?

I refuse to believe that Momentum is the reason why Labour have Corbyn in charge. He's the type of guy you want to campaign with, but he isn't a leader.