Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Maticmaker

Can anybody answer the following? (seriously or light-hearted its OK!)

What does the judgement of the Supreme Court mean in terms of the return of parliament, tomorrow, next week, when?
Is it now a new parliament or still the old one?
If its the new one, when will the Queens speech be heard?
What now happens to the Party Conferences, are they affected?
Will those MP's who haven't taken a holiday yet now not get one?
What is there to prevent Boris proroguing Parliament once again, if so will a new challenge need to be made through the Courts, the High Courts and the Supreme Court?
Will the staff working to support Parliament, now all be on overtime rates?

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Brexit is a religion. The “will of god” is replaced by the “will of the people”; something equally intangible with no evidence. A referendum that was basically split down the middle does not provide any sort of “will of the people” as far as I am concerned, it has instead just been coined by brexiteers to justify their actions, much like the “will of god” is used in other religions.

Similarly, it has become a matter of faith rather than logic. People do not care about what sort of hardships they will have to endure, because the coming of Brexit will eventually grant them this paradise where everything will be ok. It no longer matters what is logical, because they are convinced that they will be rewarded in the after[Brexit]life. Sound familiar?

“Heretics” who do not follow the religion are branded as enemies of “the people” (again referring to the alleged will of the people) or traitors. It is a “them or us” situation. It is absolutely no different to religious radicalisation, as I think is proven by the rise of far right extremism and terrorism.

Unfortunately it turns out that Bojo is not the messiah, but just a very naughty boy.

Last edited:

The Firestarter

What does the judgement of the Supreme Court mean in terms of the return of parliament, tomorrow, next week, when?
What is there to prevent Boris proroguing Parliament once again, if so will a new challenge need to be made through the Courts, the High Courts and the Supreme Court?
Prorogation is null and void so it as if it never happened.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy

What does the judgement of the Supreme Court mean in terms of the return of parliament, tomorrow, next week, when? Tomorrow.

Is it now a new parliament or still the old one? Old one.

If its the new one, when will the Queens speech be heard? We could prorogue again and do so legally this time, by just having the necessary number of days rather than weeks, if he wants the speech.

What now happens to the Party Conferences, are they affected? Up to the parties.

Will those MP's who haven't taken a holiday yet now not get one? They had their summer recess, they'll be fine.

What is there to prevent Boris proroguing Parliament once again, if so will a new challenge need to be made through the Courts, the High Courts and the Supreme Court? The Queen wouldn't accept another long prorogation, we can only assume, given that's clearly illegal.

Will the staff working to support Parliament, now all be on overtime rates? I wouldn't have thought so given prorogation technically never happened. They just got some time off when they technically should've been working.

Fully Fledged

1 Return tomorrow.
2 Still the old one.
3 see above
4 Labour has cut their's short. The Tories will be asking for a break to hold their's but the other parties are saying that they will not vote in favour of this.
5 That's up to them. some MP's are saying that they are on holiday and wont be back for tomorrow.
6 He can prorogue again but only for about 5 days.
7 I don't think the Civil Service have a break when parliament is prorogued they probably work harder.

WensleyMU

Just saw I got banned from the other thread. Ah well, moving on.

Anyway to switch notifications off for that thread? Edit - figured it out

Last edited:

DOTA

It was never put before judges. The investigation found no evidence so that was that.
I wouldn't recommend just moving your views on this particular topic to this thread.

WensleyMU

I wouldn't recommend just moving your views on this particular topic to this thread.
Eh? I was replying to another poster.

The investigation into leave.eu is something completely separate. It was reported this morning that the investigation found no evidence of criminal activity.

DOTA

Eh? I was replying to another poster.

The investigation into leave.eu is something completely separate. It was reported this morning that the investigation found no evidence of criminal activity.
Right you are. Crack on.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
It was never put before judges. The investigation found no evidence so that was that.
And who says that the investigators were experts? maybe they were experts in finding stolen cars

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Geoffrey Cox said:
This parliament should have the courage to face the electorate. But it won’t because so many of them are about preventing us leaving the European Union. But the time is coming when even these turkeys won’t be able to prevent Christmas.
Ironic that he uses the turkeys voting for Christmas metaphor

buchansleftleg

wow - thanks BBC for visiting another city that voted to leave and doing more vox pops with people wandering around at a time when most people are at work.

They need to visit a town like Manchester that had a massive pro remain stance, is outward and progressive and not riven with artificial paranoia about immigration.

There is definitely a pro-leave bias in the news reporting....endlessly having Farage and Francois onscreen rather than Caroline Lucas who actually has achieved getting a seat in parliament, unlike Farage. The BBC and the judiciary are the last bulwark we have against the reactionary forces that I refuse to classify as "populist" - another euphemism for dangerous right wingers that somehow has become acceptable. I'm at the point where I am actually making contingency plans to leave the country...if these fanatics maintain or increase their hold on the country.

Maticmaker

presumably the second letter is something along the lines of if you grant the extension we will veto everything we can until we leave...
You've obviously been reading Boris (or Dominic's) mind. I suspect the letter will ask for an extension as required, but with postscripts or attachments making unobtainable demands of the EU, or as you say, threatening as much disruption as possible to EU Parliaments business, enthusiastically supported by Brexit Party MEP's.

Maticmaker

Cox says government will comply with no deal legislation
Yes, I thought Cox gave a good account of himself today, his deep voice resounds in the chamber and adds a certain natural authority to his speaking. Much as it pains me to say it, nobody really laid a glove on him and at times the very muted response from the opposition benches said it all.

Fluctuation0161

wow - thanks BBC for visiting another city that voted to leave and doing more vox pops with people wandering around at a time when most people are at work.

They need to visit a town like Manchester that had a massive pro remain stance, is outward and progressive and not riven with artificial paranoia about immigration.

There is definitely a pro-leave bias in the news reporting....endlessly having Farage and Francois onscreen rather than Caroline Lucas who actually has achieved getting a seat in parliament, unlike Farage. The BBC and the judiciary are the last bulwark we have against the reactionary forces that I refuse to classify as "populist" - another euphemism for dangerous right wingers that somehow has become acceptable. I'm at the point where I am actually making contingency plans to leave the country...if these fanatics maintain or increase their hold on the country.
I noticed that yesterday too. BBC is not only biased, but dangerously so.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Just before Johnson walked out of the commons..

So after Cox et al saying the government will uphold the law, Boris is now saying he won’t. Jesus Christ..

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Thought this was interesting...

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/sep/22/english-people-wales-brexit-research

English people living in Wales tilted it towards Brexit, research finds

Areas of Wales with big English communities had larger leave vote in 2016, according to study

The question of why Wales voted to leave the EU can in large part be answered by the number of English retired people who have moved across the border, research has found.

Despite being one of the biggest beneficiaries of EU funding, Wales voted leave by a majority of 52% to 48% in the 2016 referendum – a result that took some analysts by surprise. However, work by Danny Dorling, a professor of geography at Oxford, found that the result could in part be attributed to the influence of English voters.

“If you look at the more genuinely Welsh areas, especially the Welsh-speaking ones, they did not want to leave the EU,” Dorling told the Sunday Times. “Wales was made to look like a Brexit-supporting nation by its English settlers.”

About 21% (650,000) of people living in Wales were born in England, with nearly a quarter aged over 65. The country voted for Brexit by a majority of just 82,000.

Border towns and areas of central Wales with large English communities, such as Wrexham and Powys, recorded a higher proportion of leave votes, whereas Welsh-speaking areas such as Gwynedd and Ceredigion had high remain votes.

Dorling’s research, which was presented at the British Science Association’s annual meeting at Warwick University, also suggested that most of the UK’s leave votes did come not from the north of England but the south, with the highest numbers in areas populated with affluent older people, such as Hampshire, Cornwall and Devon.

“The Welsh did not want to quit the EU, but that is one of many false beliefs about Brexit. The biggest is that the pro-leave vote was due to northerners,” he said. “It’s true some northern areas were strongly pro-Brexit, but the population there is too small to swing the vote.

“The real support for Brexit, in terms of numbers of votes, was in places like Cornwall, which was 57% for leave, Hampshire with 54%, Essex with 62% and Norfolk with 57%. It is those southern English voters that are dragging Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland unwillingly out of Europe.

“Everyone blames Wigan and Stoke for Brexit but we should really be blaming Cornwall and Devon.”