g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
A quick browse of wikipedia shows that he makes all his money off betting against others misfortune. What a surprise.
I don't get the view that short-selling is inherently wrong. So we are ok with people piling in on the long side out of pure greed, but if someone else thinks that trade has gone too far and so bets against it, they are the baddies here?

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
I don't get the view that short-selling is inherently wrong. So we are ok with people piling in on the long side out of pure greed, but if someone else thinks that trade has gone too far and so bets against it, they are the baddies here?
We're talking about a guy here who's pulling the strings of the current PM, so yeah in that instance I do think it's inherently wrong. You don't?

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Watch the documentary. It was pretty blatant.
Yep. I mean it wasn't so long ago if you openly suggested this was the case that you'd be called a conspiracy theorist or something. Seems that they're happy to let everyone know now that they've got a huge chunk of the voting public onside and riled up.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Yep. I mean it wasn't so long ago if you openly suggested this was the case that you'd be called a conspiracy theorist or something. Seems that they're happy to let everyone know now that they've got a huge chunk of the voting public onside and riled up.
That's the power trip! Their ability to admit to things opening knowing that they wont be punished or have any retributions. Its disgusting.
Its almost trump-like.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
See Labour are preparing for Brexit - going towards a 4 day week - less jobs, companies going bust,- let's share the work out.

Working towards utopia of the 3 day week of the 1970s.
technically I think they called it a 32 hour working week
The average in the Uk is currently 34.1 hours
so basically a few more part time jobs and we are about there

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
technically I think they called it a 32 hour working week
The average in the Uk is currently 34.1 hours
so basically a few more part time jobs and we are about there
Yes a 32hr week , the UK I think work on average 37.1 hours whilst in France it's a 35hour week but the average is more than the UK at around 38.1 hours.

Basically it seems to be the intention to keep the workers pay the same for doing less work. That's after they've taken 10% of some company's shares and stolen private school property and taken over bankrupt companies into state ownership.... I have to stop...

At least the workers will have more time for holidays in Europe Clacton-on-Sea

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Actually I take it back... hes aiming for a 32 hour week in 10 years
technically i think my business can support that provided I don;t give anybody pay rises for a decade that should about cover the cost of extra staff (or presumably robots as I can get them to work over 32 hours)

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Actually I take it back... hes aiming for a 32 hour week in 10 years
technically i think my business can support that provided I don;t give anybody pay rises for a decade that should about cover the cost of extra staff (or presumably robots as I can get them to work over 32 hours)
Yes but you need to take into consideration that as robots get smarter they'll start demanding more rights.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
The health secretary, Matt Hancock, said workers posted to the bloc, plus pensioners and students, who can currently have their healthcare funded by the UK under existing reciprocal arrangements, would continue to be covered for six months after a crash out.

The government will also pay the treatment costs of UK tourists if they began their holiday before the UK leaves the EU.

“Protecting the healthcare rights of UK nationals is a priority of this government,” said Hancock.

And after six months, tough sh!t.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Anyone one watched the documentary on Channel 4 Tories at War by Patrick Forbes? It was filmed over a period of 9 months.
Lots of pot callings, flip-flopping and the contempt they have for each other is extraordinaire. Nobody comes out well from the documentary.
The general takeaway is the folks backing Boris/ERG are the hedge funders like Crispin Odey who just 'want to win.' Its a feckin' game to them.
I missed that. I'd imagine it will do my blood pressure no favours.

Maticmaker

So McDonnell is suggesting part time working after all?

So 32 hour working week eh, I've never worked less than a 40 hour week my whole life when employed by someone else, when self employed my average was more like 60 hours per week. Still if Mr McDonnell can get the same output he will have increased productivity at a stroke, never thought I say that about a Labour Chancellor, first time for everything!

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
So McDonnell is suggesting part time working after all?

So 32 hour working week eh, I've never worked less than a 40 hour week my whole life when employed by someone else, when self employed my average was more like 60 hours per week. Still if Mr McDonnell can get the same output he will have increased productivity at a stroke, never thought I say that about a Labour Chancellor, first time for everything!
Employ more people and support them with a universal basic income paid for by a tax on automation.

dogrob

Just Watching The Wheels Go Round And Round
The health secretary, Matt Hancock, said workers posted to the bloc, plus pensioners and students, who can currently have their healthcare funded by the UK under existing reciprocal arrangements, would continue to be covered for six months after a crash out.

The government will also pay the treatment costs of UK tourists if they began their holiday before the UK leaves the EU.

“Protecting the healthcare rights of UK nationals is a priority of this government,” said Hancock.

And after six months, tough sh!t.
Glad that I have been paying into the German system for nigh on 30 years, never had problems whatsoever.

Maticmaker

Employ more people and support them with a universal basic income paid for by a tax on automation.
Wow! Is that what McDonnell's going to do, or rather how he's going to do it?

Sorry, but it sounds a bit far fetched to me, if automation is so endemic in the world of work that it can be taxed sufficiently to provide a basic (I assume this means more than just survival) income, where are all the jobs going to come from?

I suppose we could go back to building massive (worthy) civil projects, like Cathedrals, Castles, etc they kept people employed locally for forty or fifty years or more, provided apprenticeships, and created related employment in Market trading and Inn's and coaching services and other hostelry's. I suppose in modern day parlance this could HR2/3/4 projects, (not motorways of course, must think about climate change etc.)… so maybe it would work, still seems a bit OTT, but good luck to him if he can sell this idea!

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
breaking deja vu
Anyone ever had this?

It's absolutely mental. I'm sure it can be explained by science in some way but sometimes I feel like I know exactly what is coming next.

I was just looking out the window and I saw a blue car BMW swerving to avoid this black cat who ran straight into a bush to try and escape. I knew as soon as I saw the BMW turning down my road what would happen.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Nice idea but need more robots for the maths to work out.
It’s not about “robots”. People associate automation with physical devices for some reason.

I’d wager that Software is as responsible if not more for redundancies.

nickm

It’s not about “robots”. People associate automation with physical devices for some reason.

Fair point.

There are competing views both about the impact of automation on jobs and the effectiveness of a universal basic income.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I'd think the transition to UBI is the real challenge rather than how a mature UBI will work.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Nice focus. Things are going to change, we need to think about how to deal with that, and in a fair way or everyone, or we'll all pay the consequences eventually.
Agreed. We always seem to leave things until the house is burning down.

Oldyella

Anyone ever had this?

It's absolutely mental. I'm sure it can be explained by science in some way but sometimes I feel like I know exactly what is coming next.

I was just looking out the window and I saw a blue car BMW swerving to avoid this black cat who ran straight into a bush to try and escape. I knew as soon as I saw the BMW turning down my road what would happen.
Glitch in the matrix meat sack.

Yeah, take call centres for example. Used to be a start up job that had flexible work hours for students, people with kids etc, now you don't need half the staff as so much of the call can be automated

Smores

That was obviously going to happen. Rich people know how to get away with this stuff. Same thing with Trump all that stuff is hidden and buried so deep it would be very hard to prosecute.
Yeah until we get further transparency these things will continue. Banks has dodgy record after dodgy record but as long as it can't be proven tough shit.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Dominic Cummings is a pound shop Rasputin. Gotten Boris into all kinds of trouble.

WensleyMU

Aside from the court case, another legal matter was sorted today.

No evidence of crimes from leave.eu.