Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I doubt many on remain side genuinely know what is at stake. It's a cultural thing. You see the people fighting for Brexit and automatically think...nah, not these cuts.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Jo Maugham QC, Brexit opponent:
Twitter said:
Just received notification from the Mail on Sunday that, in a week in which I have received death threats, they are tomorrow going to publish my private address.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
The Queen above politics? Not when Cameron and Johnson come calling
She broke convention over independence for Scotland. She could do it again over Brexit.
The Queen is a sham head of state. She cannot act as a constitutional president and force rival politicians to look for ways out of a national emergency. She cannot insist that the prime minister obeys the rules, because there are too few rules in Britain and too many woozy, unenforceable conventions.

Elizabeth II’s strength came from being “above politics”. Now even that pose – how can a head of state be above politics? – has been exposed, as Buckingham Palace’s “displeasure and annoyance” at David Cameron reveals. It is not angry because he “dragged the Queen into politics” but because he revealed that she happily got stuck in without the need for dragging.
https://www.theguardian.com/comment...ics-not-when-cameron-and-johnson-come-calling

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Corbyn says UK could be better off outside EU if right deal available
Here is the full exchange with Andrew Marr where Jeremy Corbyn said the UK could be better off outside the EU than inside in some circumstances.

AM: One of your first jobs [as PM] is go to Brussels and negotiate a new Brexit deal … In that context, is it your view that Britain is better off inside the European Union or better off, long-term, outside the European Union? Which?

JC: [It] depends on the agreement you have with the European Union outside.

AM: So we could be better off outside, therefore?

JC: Listen, what I’ve tried to do all along is recognise the result of the referendum and respect it. That’s what we said in our 2017 manifesto, which is why we voted before that to invoke article 50 … We have consistently put forward what I believe to be a credible option, which is what we call the five pillars which is the customs union, the trade relationship, protection of consumer, environmental and workers’ rights, and of course, the Good Friday agreement and the peace process …

I recognise the majority of Labour party supporters and members support remain and supported remain, but a significant minority voted the other way.

Unicorns it is then. If the UK has exactly the same benefits outside the EU as inside the EU.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Corbyn says UK could be better off outside EU if right deal available
Here is the full exchange with Andrew Marr where Jeremy Corbyn said the UK could be better off outside the EU than inside in some circumstances.

AM: One of your first jobs [as PM] is go to Brussels and negotiate a new Brexit deal … In that context, is it your view that Britain is better off inside the European Union or better off, long-term, outside the European Union? Which?

JC: [It] depends on the agreement you have with the European Union outside.

AM: So we could be better off outside, therefore?

JC: Listen, what I’ve tried to do all along is recognise the result of the referendum and respect it. That’s what we said in our 2017 manifesto, which is why we voted before that to invoke article 50 … We have consistently put forward what I believe to be a credible option, which is what we call the five pillars which is the customs union, the trade relationship, protection of consumer, environmental and workers’ rights, and of course, the Good Friday agreement and the peace process …

I recognise the majority of Labour party supporters and members support remain and supported remain, but a significant minority voted the other way.

Unicorns it is then. If the UK has exactly the same benefits outside the EU as inside the EU.
If conference does not push him to a clearer brexit position I think they might actually get less votes than the libs in a snap ge
Sadly it seems purging blairites still takes priority

Paul the Wolf

If conference does not push him to a clearer brexit position I think they might actually get less votes than the libs in a snap ge
Sadly it seems purging blairites still takes priority
I think his position has been clear - he's trying to please the remainers by conning them into believing he can do a fantasy deal and trying to please the leavers by actually leaving. That's only going to work for his loyal supporters who would vote for him whatever he did or said. It's not them who need convincing .

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I think his position has been clear - he's trying to please the remainers by conning them into believing he can do a fantasy deal and trying to please the leavers by actually leaving. That's only going to work for his loyal supporters who would vote for him whatever he did or said. It's not them who need convincing .
A recent poll said I think 70% of people find his current stance unclear
He will bleed support both sides
As shown by his record low polling and the brexit party plus libs support
He needs to get onboard with thornberry McDonald starmer Watson etc and try to stop the libs overtaking them
He won't though

nickm

I read the headline about a better deal and just sighed. It is so disingenuous. He’s never earning the trust of remain voters with nonsense like that.

Fluctuation0161

Labours position to have a second referendum is quite clear. To me it seems the logical route. Our country is currently in stalemate, torn between direct democracy vs parliamentary democracy. A second referendum seems the most logical way to go.

What the options will be on the potential for an improved deal are yet to be confirmed. But it's well known the May and Johnson have both demonstrated failings during negotiations and lacked a collaborative approach. May not consulting with parliament along cross party lines during negotiation and Johnson only seemingly preparing for a dictated no deal!

All negotiations with the EU have been led by the Conservative party. The EU have been much more open to input from Corbyn than Theresa May or Johnson.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...parliament-theresa-may-backstop-a8767931.html

The Labour and Corbyn critics will jump on any stance taken it seems. As stated above, Labours stance is a second referendum with the potential of a better deal being negotiated.

Whether this will resonate with remain and leave voters who are deeply entrenched in their positions is yet to be seen.

Paul the Wolf

Labours position to have a second referendum is quite clear. To me it seems the logical route. Our country is currently in stalemate, torn between direct democracy vs parliamentary democracy. A second referendum seems the most logical way to go.

What the options will be on the potential for an improved deal are yet to be confirmed. But it's well known the May and Johnson have both demonstrated failings during negotiations and lacked a collaborative approach. May not consulting with parliament along cross party lines during negotiation and Johnson only seemingly preparing for a dictated no deal!

All negotiations with the EU have been led by the Conservative party. The EU have been much more open to input from Corbyn than Theresa May or Johnson.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...parliament-theresa-may-backstop-a8767931.html

The Labour and Corbyn critics will jump on any stance taken it seems. As stated above, Labours stance is a second referendum with the potential of a better deal being negotiated.

Whether this will resonate with remain and leave voters who are deeply entrenched in their positions is yet to be seen.
May's blue unicorns were criticised at the time, the same as Corbyn's red unicorns. May's original proposals were not possible which was evident from the beginning and Corbyn's proposal are not possible. Wishful thinking will not change that. You say people are entrenched in their positions. Corbyn followers, especially if they are remainers must surely realise Corbyn is talking rubbish but they won't admit it.

The EU will of course be happy that the UK stay in the customs union and single market but that's not what Corbyn is saying .The EU are favouring that these may possibly be a starting point in negotiations but Corbyn will never get from the EU what he wants.
If the Tories had said what Corbyn is saying you'd be laughing at them.

You cannot be in a customs union and do your own deals and you cannot be in the single market and not accept the 4 freedoms including FoM. Access to the single market is meaningless. The whole world has access to the Single Market and anyone can have a free trade deal , it just has to be negotiated.

Smores

Leave wins a 2020 referendum, what's the best outcome? A Labour Brexit, Mays Brexit or No Deal.

I think we all know it's the former and yet some don't want Labour to bother negotiating a deal and would rather they just ignore the possibility that remain might not win.

Paul the Wolf

Leave wins a 2020 referendum, what's the best outcome? A Labour Brexit, Mays Brexit or No Deal.

I think we all know it's the former and yet some don't want Labour to bother negotiating a deal and would rather they just ignore the possibility that remain might not win.
The Labour Brexit does not exist and never will , what's wrong with you all?. There is the Withdrawal Agreement , there is no deal, there is Remain and there is Brexit in Name only which is Remain but having no vote..

Smores

The Labour Brexit does not exist and never will , what's wrong with you all?. There is the Withdrawal Agreement , there is no deal, there is Remain and there is Brexit in Name only which is Remain but having no vote..
The EU doesn't agree with your stance, we've had this discussion countless times. The WA is the WA under current red lines only.

We know you take Labours wishlist as something that will never change, the reality is if they get power they will water down brexit.

Paul the Wolf

The EU doesn't agree with your stance, we've had this discussion countless times. The WA is the WA under current red lines only.

We know you take Labours wishlist as something that will never change, the reality is if they get power they will water down brexit.
Who said the EU doesn't agree; for pity's sake. The watered down Brexit is Brexit in Name only - that's changing the red lines to staying in the customs union and the single market and no vote - well that should make everyone happy.

Bewildering.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Who said the EU doesn't agree; for pity's sake. The watered down Brexit is Brexit in Name only - that's changing the red lines to staying in the customs union and the single market and no vote - well that should make everyone happy.

Bewildering.
Oh no... Not the customs union... A customs union... One where we are allowed to strike our own trade deals around the world yet we still get say on any future EU deals ... Isnt that what they have said before... Aka unicorns

Smores

Bewildering.
Do you want me to provide a long list of quotes, barnier has always reiterated than they will move quickly if the UK want a closer relationship. Plenty if not all would end up in the PC rather than WA but they're a package as far as passing through the commons.

Whether people are happy are not is irrelevant. They'll have the choice if they'd rather stay.

Smores

Oh no... Not the customs union... A customs union... One where we are allowed to strike our own trade deals around the world yet we still get say on any future EU deals ... Isnt that what they have said before... Aka unicorns
I'm sure you'd rather they didn't bother and let us go out on Mays deal.

Paul the Wolf

Do you want me to provide a long list of quotes, barnier has always reiterated than they will move quickly if the UK want a closer relationship. Plenty if not all would end up in the PC rather than WA but they're a package as far as passing through the commons.

Whether people are happy are not is irrelevant. They'll have the choice if they'd rather stay.
Of course the EU would be happy with a closer relationship - BINO, nothing changes, the UK still pay and they can't vote. Best possible outcome for the EU -it's better than if the UK Remain.
Somehow Brexiters may not be this daft and Remainers wouldn't be either.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
That's not an option in a leave win scenario so irrelevant.
It's still an option right now then isn't it
Perhaps if Corbyn committed labour to it like starmer McDonell thornberry Watson and many other senior MPs have said we might achieve it
But no instead the labour party is changing rules on antesemitism without consulting the only affiliated Jewish membership group and having a debate about transfering more power to people currently under investigation for being antesemitic and scheduling that debate on a Saturday so practicing Jews can't even engage in the debate... As well as purging groups and people they identify as centrist.
Clearly they don't see brexit as relavent in the grand scheme of priorities which seem to be purging Jews and Blairites ... ooooh Jeremy Corbyn indeed

Maticmaker

That's not an option in a leave win scenario so irrelevant.
Exactly Remain lost the first ballot, if there is to be a second referendum, that option should not be on the paper. You cannot change the result of the first referendum before you have implemented the result, by including a losing option on the new ballot and saying try again, it makes no sense whatsoever.

Its either Revoke A50 or leave with no deal, there is no other option and parliament have to vote on this whether they like it or not. There is no middle ground in this and trying to find some is sending us all to hell on a hand cart!