Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
If you do, you have no understanding of economics. The reason all those companies are there is that they can have an EU headquarter in which they can avoid paying taxes and have access to a highly educated, english speaking workforce. And can bring in experts from all over Europe because of free movement.
If Ireland wasn't in the EU, American companies would need another country to base their headquarters in. Most likely, the Netherlands or Luxembourg. Irelands attractiveness lies solely in the fact it gives access to the EU while demanding low taxes.
Nailed it on the first part. I'm not sure how anyone can possibly argue that the EU isn't massively beneficial to us in terms of attracting international companies.

I'd however argue that it's not the 'sole' reason. The fact that we're English speaking is a large benefit, also.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Labour didn't lose all the working class vote a long time ago. Labour still holds most of Manchester, other post industrial cities and is still the second largest party. On Brexit though, those Labour strongholds were largely in favour of Leave, voters who stuck with Labour felt strongly that Corbyn's Labour were completely out of touch with them on this core issue and I would be surprised if the party hasn't taken a big hit because of it.

All of the other three candidates were more electable by a long distance. He was the worst candidate if you actually wanted to win an election.
They haven't literally lost most of these areas yet, but UKIP has made serious inroads. The problem is that said areas have a certain anti-immigrant sentiment among Labour support now: none of Kendall, Burnham or Cooper would've fixed that because the Labour party is pro-immigrant.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
The border from the Republic to the north will be interesting. Are we going to see checkpoints back? The vox pops on the issues focused a lot on immigration and the current situation means ireland could become a soft entry point to the UK.
Reading comments from the guy from Sinn Fein this morning regarding unification of Northern Ireland and the ROI, is this something that could potentially spark problems over there again?

Asking because I'm clueless and I'm guessing you guys over there may have more of an idea.

Nicola Sturgeon: Scotland faces the prospect of being taken out of the EU against our will & that is unacceptable

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Gwan Sturgeon

Red-Man-Walking

Fully Erect
Nailed it on the first part. I'm not sure how anyone can possibly argue that the EU isn't massively beneficial to us in terms of attracting international companies.

I'd however argue that it's not the 'sole' reason. The fact that we're English speaking is a large benefit, also.
I do wonder if we stand to benefit from all this in terms of some companies jumping ship and establishing European HQs here.

Manny

Grammar Police
Market recovery still ongoing, some will have made a killing on the volatility this morning
That not a recovery. Price has just settled waiting for New York to take it down further.

Massive Spanner

Reading comments from the guy from Sinn Fein this morning regarding unification of Northern Ireland and the ROI, is this something that could potentially spark problems over there again?

Asking because I'm clueless and I'm guessing you guys over there may have more of an idea.
Sinn Fein and Gerry Adams are a caricature of themselves at this stage and will use anything negative about the Uk to claim unification so I'd take that with a pinch of salt.

It's really hard to know how it will go with NI, I do however think that Brexit will damage their relationship with the UK far more than us and given that they actually voted to remain, I think it's very likely that within the next five years we could be seeing a unified Ireland.

Will it spark tensions between ROI and NI? I hope not, but it's too early to say.

Sad Chris

Id actually love to give China a try..........sell me on it mate :)
Go for Ningbo if you're not limited to a certain place. I travel up and down the coast a few times a year and I think Ningbo is like a Chinese version of Hamburg. There are over 100 small islands off the coast and it's not overrun by tourists.

Smores

Sturgeon all but confirms a fresh Scottish independence referendum is on its way.
They voted to remain part of the UK the can't now throw their toys out of the pram because now a democratic vote didn't go the way they liked. They need to respect the UKs decision

Massive Spanner

I do wonder if we stand to benefit from all this in terms of some companies jumping ship and establishing European HQs here.
That's pretty much the only benefit right now. Morgan-Stanley have already said they're going to move to Dublin and Frankfurt if the UK vote leave.

I suspect Frankfurt will now become the financial centre of the UK and Dublin will be its little brother.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
She's just said they're going to prepare the relevant legislation now in anticipation of the need for another independence referendum.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I assumed that would be the reason. It's a ridiculous thing for a 60 year old building surveyor to be mad about, even there was crappy reason for the repackaging.
I don't really blame people that are not concerned by it but the professionals should know better, these rules are meant to make their lives easier. They need to think about the guy who is at Rungis (the biggest wholesale food market in the world) receiving their product, he can't reasonably receive +28 type of packaging that have not been checked by customs and it's also a nightmare in terms of storage, they can't have +28 types of shelves.

Massive Spanner

They voted to remain part of the UK the can't now throw their toys out of the pram because now a democratic vote didn't go the way they liked. They need to respect the UKs decision
No they don't. Scotland voted to stay in the UK when the UK was a part of the EU. Given the implications of Brexit they absolutely have a right to call a referendum. Especially when they overwhelmingly voted to remain.

Hammerfell

They largely voted that way because they were uncertain as to whether an independent Scotland would be able to join the EU.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Their referendum ended so damn close that the first thing we did to piss them off was always going to result in a fresh one. They'll call a new referendum, as is their right to do, and they'll win independence from the rest of the UK.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff

It'll be a while before that particular powder keg is neutralised but I'm amazed at how good it's been.

The reality is that a border checkpoint would rekindle old nonsense but I do think we have moved on.

If anything there would be an inversion of the troubles with Unionists taking the place of the IRA and Catholic protestors.

But really there is so much political and social goodwill there is no need for trouble unless there is a massive political feck up.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
They absolutely can and will.

The last referendum give them clear mandate to hold another one if the UK leaves the EU.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Bollocks. The situation has changed in the UK in a big way and it has done so in a way that is against all of Scotland's wishes. They've every right to consider their options.

Classical Mechanic

They haven't literally lost most of these areas yet, but UKIP has made serious inroads. The problem is that said areas have a certain anti-immigrant sentiment among Labour support now: none of Kendall, Burnham or Cooper would've fixed that because the Labour party is pro-immigrant.
Corbyn was completely invisible throughout the referendum and is in favour of completely open borders!

A competent Labour leader could have swung this vote to Remain IMO.

Red-Man-Walking

Fully Erect
I wonder as well if this move from European leaders for the UK to leave "quickly" is to put further pressure on UK exports. Once out, new trade deals need to be organised, and you can be sure UK will get a crappy deal from the EU compared to the current status quo. Not to mention due to combined population and wealth Berlin and Brussels will likely pressure the US/China/India etc. into not giving the UK a good deal in terms of trade under threat of loss of access to the European single market, which will be worth several times more.

Manny

Grammar Police
Guys the website seems to be working again: https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215

Get your votes in if you want a 2nd referendum.

EDIT: It's still sh*te.
Have you received the email from them yet? I signed it but it I got the maintenance screen after confirmed my email.

Just to add

"At 100,000 signatures, this petition will be considered for debate in Parliament". Already at 94,678 signatures, but really the more signatures, the bigger the splash.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Corbyn was completely invisible throughout the referendum and is in favour of completely open borders!

Yea there's no doubt at all that he's failed to do anything approaching leading.

Red-Man-Walking

Fully Erect
That's pretty much the only benefit right now. Morgan-Stanley have already said they're going to move to Dublin and Frankfurt if the UK vote leave.

I suspect Frankfurt will now become the financial centre of the UK and Dublin will be its little brother.
So Dublin will go full London in terms of nobody who isn't a highly paid professional being able to afford to live there, brilliant :S

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout

A competent Labour leader would've likely just championed a multi-cultural Britain with current levels of immigration. That'd have still disillusioned Labour Brexit voters.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Are you listening are you listening to yourself?

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Pure delusion.

Untied

Alan Johnson was useless as well. I genuinely don't know where he has gone.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Meh, we were told to stay on the basis of promises which have almost all being reneged. With all just respect, I couldn't really give an utter feck about respecting the decision of a nation who I do not see myself as a part of, and who we have an extreme disconnect from. There's no place for us in a non-EU, Boris-Tory led nation.