Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Someone at work - I said I still haven't heard a reasonable reason to leave, and he said he just doesn't like the 'all the daft laws they make us abide by'. I asked which those were and he had no answer, but he did say the other day how mad he was about a fisherman that had to repackage all his fish because of an EU regulation.

Fantastic reason.
This is part of why it's incredibly worrying. So many people want to take back our independence and accountability, supposedly; problem is they don't actually know what from.

Say what you want about the independence referendum, but people understood mainly what we were voting for: an independent nation with self-government. A lot of anti-EU voters don't seem to understand that we're already a sovereign nation.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Right wing liberals here? They really are clueless then. Our parties on the right are about as liberal as Franco.
Not sure who they mean to be fair, I don't follow. They don't usually mean liberals by saying liberals, just 'conservative liberals' what they call them: liberal in economic matters and gun control, drug control, but conservative in.. I don't know what, probably just like using that word.

They want guns to be available to everyone and ALL drugs to be available in free market, all of them, every single one. What could possibly go wrong if you give people drugs and guns?

Marching

Somehow still supports Leeds
Dead right Marching they are absolutely fecking clueless. It shows in every one of their faces. None of them were that good as MP's anyway. Now we are going to have bunch of second-raters running the show.

Yesterday every single indicator of economic prosperity was the best I ever remember it being - interest rates, inflation, unemployment, growth. Now it will all go to rat shit and they reckon this bunch of wasters can steer us through all that. Looking at their faces, I think it is suddenly dawning on them what a Biblical task lies ahead.

Say what you will about Cameron he got this country into the best shape it had been for years. and that was starting from a very low base in 2008/9.

Not perfect but better than I can remember in 40 years of working.
I agree with every one of your words. Interesting seeing Farage admitting the Leave campaign were wrong to promise the £350m message that was splashed all over the battlebus as it can not be implemented. Bit late now Nigel!

Personally I am at a stage where I have no mortgage/debts, have savings, a job that will just carry on, a nice life etc and all this won't make a right lot of difference. I do feel sorry for the young who voted in massive numbers to remain but now have the longest to live with this decision.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
How would a second referendum go?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Someone at work - I said I still haven't heard a reasonable reason to leave, and he said he just doesn't like the 'all the daft laws they make us abide by'. I asked which those were and he had no answer, but he did say the other day how mad he was about a fisherman that had to repackage all his fish because of an EU regulation.

Fantastic reason.
And you know why they have to repackage and calibrate?

Because they have access to an entire continent and it's more convenient to all respect the same rules, that way you don't have to adapt your packaging for every destinations, it's the same everywhere.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
Our economy is propped up by direct foreign investment from the USA. Ireland is the biggest receiver of inward investment from the US in the world. So, in what alternate universe does money from the US increasing the Irish GDP have anything to do with Europe, other than Europe trying to control Ireland corporate tax rate in an effort to redirect that investment to the European centre.

And the EU does not allow us to do anything with taxes, Ireland like all European states is tax sovereign. Maybe you didnt know that. So get off your high horse.
Exactly my point. While you get your fair share of criticism, nobody ever stopped you doing that.
And just think about it a second: do you think the US would invest in Ireland if it wasn't part of the largest free trade zone and political union in the world? Don't think so. Taxes can be as low as the want as long as the place doesn't have anything to offer to investors.

Bosses of EU's big institutions call for UK to get on with Brexit 'as soon as possible'

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Europe setting it stalls. Convinced free movement will still be around in 2018.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
How dare Boris talk about the "young people" in this country when we voted overwhelmingly to remain. This is fecking sickening.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München

Because they have access to an entire continent and it's more convenient to all respect the same rules, that way you don't have to adapt your packaging for every destinations, it's the same everywhere.
The funny thing is that they still have to do that if they want to export into the Union. Nothing will change. Especially all that fisherman stuff has been daft as feck, a lot of fishing regulations aren't even part of EU jurisdiction but bilateral and multilateral agreements.

Honest John

I've see this said a bit. What do you mean ?
Corbyn said that he was for IN. But he was never more than luke-warm about it stating that he rated the EU '7/10' at best. Compared to other IN campaigners he did sod all really to try and influence the labour voters he purports to represent.

In my opinion he put 'scoring one over the Tories' or at best 'not looking like you agree too much with them' above the good of the nation. Total disgrace.

Marching

Somehow still supports Leeds
My neighbour(75) voted leave, just asked me what I think will happen to the economy now. Since I'm an economist.
Tell him he will be dead too soon for it to matter.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Germany are going to squeeze the shit out of the UK, make an example to the rest.
Pretty much. I thought they'd be lenient at first, but there's no reason for them not to feck us over now and show the rest of Europe what happens if they leave. Shows the downsides of the EU...but also why we're fecked for leaving.

settembrini

Corbyn as far as I'm aware has been anti EU forever, wouldn't be surprised if he voted to leave yesterday.
His 'campaigning' for remain was as lacklustre as it gets.

Funny if he now has to go over this as well.

Green_Red

Exactly my point. While you get your fair share of criticism, nobody ever stopped you doing that.
And just think about it a second: do you think the US would invest in Ireland if it wasn't part of the largest free trade zone and political union in the world? Don't think so. Taxes can be as low as the want as long as the place doesn't have anything to offer to investors.
Yes absolutely. Irelands membership of the EU has very little to do with its seriously attractive corporate tax rate. And the trade agreement that the US is now negotiating with Europe will mean that Irelands membership is practically a complete non issue for investment. I would also like to point out that global trade tariffs are pretty low anyway and the US can pretty much choose to do its business wherever it wants because it is so powerful in terms of consumers.

montpelier

Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson - 'Man of the People'

nice little holding pattern speech there

Sarni

No, because it's terrible dreadful European Union telling them to do something which won't hurt them at all and will have no negative impact on them, but forget that, it's terrible EU that are stripping you off of your dignity by asking you to do a simple task. NOBODY WILL EVER TELL ME WHAT I HAVE TO DO!

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Corbyn as far as I'm aware has been anti EU forever, wouldn't be surprised if he voted to leave yesterday.
I'm a big fan of Corbyn and anti EU too and believe it should be rolled back much closer to its 1973 origins but this is not the way to do it. And he knows that.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Corbyn said that he was for IN. But he was never more than luke-warm about it stating that he rated the EU '7/10' at best. Compared to other IN campaigners he did sod all really to try and influence the labour voters he purports to represent.

In my opinion he put 'scoring one over the Tories' or at best 'not looking like you agree too much with them' above the good of the nation. Total disgrace.
If true then yes, but I find it hard to believe, he seems like a man of integrity from this distance.

NinjaFletch

If we held a second referendum today, I'm pretty sure Remain would win. Until people start losing jobs before it hits home.
Overwhelmingly I'd say based on my repsentative sample size of 2. Husband and wife leave voters in the train next to me wife very anxious about what's happened to the economy and the husband burying his head in the sand and saying it's not that bad.

Sarni

As for the future, Kraków will probably also benefit from that in some way. Since a lot of companies will be moving from UK and will move their headquarters, some of the jobs may fall here as they've already been in the past (much cheaper plus well educated work force, basically all of university graduates speak some degree of English too). The business center that I work for was moved from Milton Keynes in 2011 for example.

Vast majority of companies will land in Western Europe but those who seek opportunity for savings with little impact on quality of work will probably consider Poland too and Kraków is the prime target usually.

Probably just wishful thinking but why not?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The funny thing is that they still have to do that if they want to export into the Union. Nothing will change. Especially all that fisherman stuff has been daft as feck, a lot of fishing regulations aren't even part of EU jurisdiction but bilateral and multilateral agreements.
Even if it wasn't regulated, at some point they would have the common sense to do it, it's completely stupid to take the risk of a mistake. People don't complain about the regulated size of the shipping containers or pallets, they are the main reasons behind the standardization and it doesn't come from the EU.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
This is part of why it's incredibly worrying. So many people want to take back our independence and accountability, supposedly; problem is they don't actually know what from.

Say what you want about the independence referendum, but people understood mainly what we were voting for: an independent nation with self-government. A lot of anti-EU voters don't seem to understand that we're already a sovereign nation.
I think it's safe to say that a lot of people voted blindly.
Same guy said he's been waiting 40 years to vote out. Again when I asked why he had no answer.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
You didnt read the statement I made... people WITH third level education!! I had to exercise some serious self control here because I could get banned for the things I want to say to you right now. You have proved the fact that immigration is a huge issue because of the European Union. Honestly, how many people going to Ireland would go there for it's thriving economy and jobs market over the last decade?

By the way the numbers in those ALL COUNTRIES are bigger for Emigrants than Immigrants since 2009... haha way to go proving your point, you proved mine you feckwit!
I don't want to sound condescending, but in case you weren't aware, a decade (which is what you said) is ten years, which means since 2006, not 2009. So, you're wrong. If you'd said 2009, you'd be correct. Maybe if you'd looked into it, you'd have said 2009, and therefore be correct. But you clearly didn't, so c'est la vie. Trying to dance around the argument and squabble over bit-parts does not make you any less incorrect.

Unlike you I won't resort to petty little insults in a debate about our country and the EU. I've proven that immigration is not as big an issue as you claim it is, because we have received more workers than we have lost in the last ten years. Immigration hit its highest since before the recession in 2015 so it's not a stretch to say that it will get back to pre-recession levels (i.e. higher than emigration) again, likely this year, actually. Emigration is dropping and immigration is rising.

EDIT: Oh and 'third level' is simply not something that you can factually prove, that's pure guesswork on your part, actually, and I'd still wager you are wrong. The closest we have to proving it is overall immigration vs emigration.

Classical Mechanic

I've posted this before but http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2015/05/labour-lost-the-working-class-vote-a-long-time-ago/ UKIP has just given the working class a single political voice.

As for Corbyn he was clearly the best in the leadership race, who would you rather had won ?

Liz Kendall - She seems like a nice person and all but any sort of political core/beliefs. I couldn't tell you what Liz Kendall stood for or what a UK would look like with a prime minster Kendall and sadly Liz Kendall couldn't tell you either.

Yvette Cooper - ''We shouldn't just talk about the trains,planes and the boy toys'' no need to say anything else.

Andy Burham - The Ed Miliband before there was a Ed Miliband

Corbyn at the very least showed an alternative, a different view point and narrative to mainstream British politics, yes he was was the best of some what bad bunch and is this viewpoint unelectable mostly likely but I can't blame people for voting for it.
Labour didn't lose all the working class vote a long time ago. Labour still holds most of Manchester, other post industrial cities and is still the second largest party. On Brexit though, those Labour strongholds were largely in favour of Leave, voters who stuck with Labour felt strongly that Corbyn's Labour were completely out of touch with them on this core issue and I would be surprised if the party hasn't taken a big hit because of it.

All of the other three candidates were more electable by a long distance. He was the worst candidate if you actually wanted to win an election.

Smores

Market recovery still ongoing, some will have made a killing on the volatility this morning

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout

I assumed that would be the reason. It's a ridiculous thing for a 60 year old building surveyor to be mad about, even if there was crappy reason for the repackaging.

Last edited:

Honest John

He played politics with the nations future and that of our kids. And he won't be the one that has to sort it all out. Utter self-serving cnut.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
The border from the Republic to the north will be interesting. Are we going to see checkpoints back? The vox pops on the issues focused a lot on immigration and the current situation means ireland could become a soft entry point to the UK.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
Yes absolutely. Irelands membership of the EU has very little to do with its seriously attractive corporate tax rate. And the trade agreement that the US is now negotiating with Europe will mean that Irelands membership is practically a complete non issue for investment. I would also like to point out that global trade tariffs are pretty low anyway and the US can pretty much choose to do its business wherever it wants because it is so powerful in terms of consumers.
If you do, you have no understanding of economics. The reason all those companies are there is that they can have an EU headquarter in which they can avoid paying taxes and have access to a highly educated, english speaking workforce. And can bring in experts from all over Europe because of free movement.
If Ireland wasn't in the EU, American companies would need another country to base their headquarters in. Most likely, the Netherlands or Luxembourg. Irelands attractiveness lies solely in the fact it gives access to the EU while demanding low taxes.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
The border from the Republic to the north will be interesting. Are we going to see checkpoints back? The vox pops on the issues focused a lot on immigration and the current situation means ireland could become a soft entry point to the UK.
it certainly puts the UK in a very difficult situation. Implementing border control as well as the potential loss of dual-citizenship would likely lead to them leaving the UK and possibly a unified Ireland.

Red-Man-Walking

Fully Erect
Yeah an open Irish border seems like it has to exist from a economic perspective, yet as you said what's to stop all these dreaded immigrants from landing in Dublin, getting to Belfast and then disseminating throughout the UK?

It's almost like people didn't actually think this through.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
Pretty much. I thought they'd be lenient at first, but there's no reason for them not to feck us over now and show the rest of Europe what happens if they leave. Shows the downsides of the EU...but also why we're fecked for leaving.
It's about establishing clear, predictable and stable conditions as soon as possible. The Brexit campaign has won, and will be politically in charge soon, too. So let's get this show rolling.
Yeah might be good ol' german efficiency and straightforwardness, it's not about punishment. It's about sorting out a mess, ASAP. Your internal fallout is of course of minor concern for us now.