Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tucholsky

Supports
VfB Stuttgart
Wibble, Wibble. You've still got the pencils stuck up your nose, haven't you? Take them out now and smell the aroma of democracy. For that's what kicked in, but you know, that already, don't you

Here's how Oliver Wright summed up Cameron's renegotiation (clearly on the same page as you. Well done!) of our membership terms which as agreed by all 28 states in February 2016.

The problem was, in a referendum here, most people didn't like it and the rest, as they say, is history.

I'm sure Cleisthenes didn't specifically start the old 'power to the people' bandwagon rolling in 508 BC with this in mind, but it was jolly kind of him to do so, otherwise we might have all ended up being bossed around by faceless unelected bureaucrats.

On a different note, it's good we're back to having a soft one, isn't it? What a ninny Ursula is.
Yes I remember the famous David Cameron EU welfare rights negotiation.
When he demanded the right from the EU tu curb EU citizens welfare rights, a right that the UK already had, but never used and Cameron had no intention to use, as his policy was to attract EU citizen for the UK workforce.
So he went to Brussels to negotiate just to score a win for his own and party's PR. And he failed to succeed, cause a majority of other EU states had no interest, that member states could further dilute EU citizens welfare rights in other member states...

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Why do brexiteers always come across as such cocky, condescending wankers?

Not aimed at anyone in particular by the way, just a totally unrelated question.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Wibble, Wibble. You've still got the pencils stuck up your nose, haven't you? Take them out now and smell the aroma of democracy. For that's what kicked in, but you know, that already, don't you

Here's how Oliver Wright summed up Cameron's renegotiation (clearly on the same page as you. Well done!) of our membership terms which as agreed by all 28 states in February 2016.

The problem was, in a referendum here, most people didn't like it and the rest, as they say, is history.

I'm sure Cleisthenes didn't specifically start the old 'power to the people' bandwagon rolling in 508 BC with this in mind, but it was jolly kind of him to do so, otherwise we might have all ended up being bossed around by faceless unelected bureaucrats.

On a different note, it's good we're back to having a soft one, isn't it? What a ninny Ursula is.
Oh Plimmy, someone's lost their thinking cap haven't they? Don't worry. I'm sure you'll find it again near your box of toot toot drivers and half chewed crayons. You managed to find some links, which is wonderful because it helps to break up your nonsense. But you earn a Good Try sticker to put on your jotter for the effort. I'm so proud of you, well done!

I know how hard it is for you to keep on track with a task for longer than five minutes unless it involves bright colours and shape sorting. But, as a man much smarter and eloquent than you once said; idle hands type pretentious and condescending pap, don't they Plimmy boy?

Don't worry, my wonderful advice is free. I wouldn't want to use up any of your glitter and pritt stick budget. Toodle pip, Plimmy chap. Stop putting batteries in your mouth and go finish your blueberry jelly.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
'Progressive'. Interesting word, Fluc. Of course, it's one thing having the laws in place and altogether another one applying them, so let's consider how Amnesty International view a couple of important Human Rights issues across Europe.

For all its legislation, as of last December, only 12 European countries out of the 31 analysed by Amnesty International have laws that define rape as sex without consent: Belgium, Croatia, Cyprus, Denmark, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Ireland, Luxembourg, Malta, Sweden and the UK. Have a look at the full article and then judge how progressive the EU is on this matter.

On a particularly topical note, check out this report on the human rights violations in the enforcement of Covid measures across Europe. For sure, the UK has not got everything right during the pandemic but boy, some of our former fellow club members have been remiss to put it mildly.

My final observation is about the Roma community. I'm not a member myself but I have a great deal of sympathy for its members if they are unlucky enough to live in any of several EU member states, where their persecution is rife. Again, I recommend Amnesty International as a solid source for the detail if you need convincing. Andrea Carlo also gave it some coverage in the Independent a while ago and things won't have improved since then.

So, Fluc, it's not all as rosy as it might seem within the club and while we definitely can improve on some matters in the UK, we aren't perhaps as bad at the HR stuff as sometimes is painted, possibly illustrated by the substantial number of displaced people who risk life and limb to reach our shores by any means possible.

Ever consider why they don't just settle in France, Spain or Italy? It can't be because of the weather, can it?
Can only speak for France but your information is not correct - each country makes its own laws but in France rape:
"Le viol est une atteinte sexuelle avec pénétration commise sans le consentement de la victime"
which means rape is sexual penetration without the consent of the victim.

Also Romany communities are seen in France and the only aggression I have personally seen against them was in the UK.

By the way you are no longer a member of the club.

Plymouth Red

The Roma community doesn't settle in France and Spain?
It most definitely does, JPR. So much so that they are known, I believe, as gitanos in Spain, and gitan in France. Among other names, possibly but you'll know that better than me. How much they enjoy being part of the local community is hard for me to say, though. Any thoughts?

The displaced folk I'm talking about are more from outside the EU, many of whom will take on the English Channel in the hope of getting to what they see as a decent place to settle.

Changing the subject, are you by any chance the JP Rouve who played Caius Antivirus in 'Asterix & Obelix: Mission Cleopatra'? A very jolly film, as I recall.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Can only speak for France but your information is not correct - each country makes its own laws but in France rape:
"Le viol est une atteinte sexuelle avec pénétration commise sans le consentement de la victime"
which means rape is sexual penetration without the consent of the victim.

Also Romany communities are seen in France and the only aggression I have personally seen against them was in the UK.

By the way you are no longer a member of the club.
To be fair it's not incorrect, they analyzed 31 countries. That's not all the countries in Europe.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It most definitely does, JPR. So much so that they are known, I believe, as gitanos in Spain, and gitan in France. Among other names, possibly but you'll know that better than me. How much they enjoy being part of the local community is hard for me to say, though. Any thoughts?

The displaced folk I'm talking about are more from outside the EU, many of whom will take on the English Channel in the hope of getting to what they see as a decent place to settle.

Changing the subject, are you by any chance the JP Rouve who played Caius Antivirus in 'Asterix & Obelix: Mission Cleopatra'? A very jolly film, as I recall.
Well you suggested otherwise in your last paragraph and they are part of the local communities like everyone else. They are also considerably more present in those countries legally and illegally than they are in the UK. Which is why I asked you the question, you make claims that aren't even close to be true.

Plymouth Red

Oh Plimmy, someone's lost their thinking cap haven't they? Don't worry. I'm sure you'll find it again near your box of toot toot drivers and half chewed crayons. You managed to find some links, which is wonderful because it helps to break up your nonsense. But you earn a Good Try sticker to put on your jotter for the effort. I'm so proud of you, well done!

I know how hard it is for you to keep on track with a task for longer than five minutes unless it involves bright colours and shape sorting. But, as a man much smarter and eloquent than you once said; idle hands type pretentious and condescending pap, don't they Plimmy boy?

Don't worry, my wonderful advice is free. I wouldn't want to use up any of your glitter and pritt stick budget. Toodle pip, Plimmy chap. Stop putting batteries in your mouth and go finish your blueberry jelly.
"Hi, Pydge,

I'm not going to comply with your request to "Call me a grumpy fat lazy piece of shit Scotsman with no hair" because we're not on sufficiently familiar terms yet but let's work on it, shall we?

Now, you'll remember asking Crackers whether he (or she?) understood the concept of parody?

I had read these words which you penned and they really resonated with me. Not because of your grandmother's apparent lack of affection for you (I had similar issues, so you see we're already starting to build a bridge) but because of your tongue in cheek style and willingness to defuse situations and avoid conflict. And all with a bit of parody. "Well done, Pydge," I thought.

"As an outsider I am able to look at the whole Ireland thing without any emotional baggage getting in the way, and see it purely from a position of sound mind and logic. And, come on guys, there's plenty of whiskey and potatoes to go around - you should just stop fighting, yeah?

Back when there used to be big issues around our area with the McCoists and the Larsson's they all got together and just had a night in the pubs throwing back some pints. Everybody likes pints. You could even use that as the start of some kind of united national anthem, yeah?

I remember my nan saying to me "Pidgy, son, you're a fecking idiot and nobody loves you. Get the feck out of my shed" and it really made me understand that everybody wants to do what's best for me, yeah? Like, I could technically research why Fridays are graded on quality in the two or three Ireland's you've got over there, like picking out the best haggis to chase after like we do here every Burning Rabies Night, but I don't need to do I? Because I'm fecking amazing, I am."

Now, Pydge, I'm not so sure I read you correctly. I suspect you may be a member of the 'don't do as I do' brigade which is a shame, because you're bigger than that, Pydge. And I'm not referring back to your self-portrayal as a tad above average weight.

I will take you up on the offer of advice as I am a firm believer in looking for different perspectives and trying to see others' points of view. It's good to know you are there, Pydge and try to avoid catching trichomonas gallinae because it sounds like you enjoy your food.

Plymouth Red

Aye I don’t get it. The whole things been an absolute shit show with zero benefits, dunno what those bell ends have to be cocky about.
Get yourself up to the NorthEast, Shin!

Sky News - 22 January

Nissan has hailed the Brexit deal, saying the agreement will give it a "competitive advantage" as it committed to produce new electric vehicle batteries at its Sunderland plant.

Chief operating officer Ashwani Gupta said the deal gives Nissan the chance to "redefine the industry" and described new customs procedures resulting from Brexit as "peanuts".

ShinjiNinja26

Sky News - 22 January

Nissan has hailed the Brexit deal, saying the agreement will give it a "competitive advantage" as it committed to produce new electric vehicle batteries at its Sunderland plant.

Chief operating officer Ashwani Gupta said the deal gives Nissan the chance to "redefine the industry" and described new customs procedures resulting from Brexit as "peanuts".
Oh shit! I stand corrected it’s all been worth it. Brexit means batteries!!

Paul the Wolf

Sky News - 22 January

It came as Nissan paused one of its two production lines in Sunderland on Friday as disruption at ports caused by the pandemic affected its supply chain.
The company said the move would affect the line which produces the Qashqai and Leaf, but work would resume next week.

hmm.. Brexit - Mr Gupta says thanks for the £60million. We may change our mind depending on how things go.

Plymouth Red

It came as Nissan paused one of its two production lines in Sunderland on Friday as disruption at ports caused by the pandemic affected its supply chain.
The company said the move would affect the line which produces the Qashqai and Leaf, but work would resume next week.

hmm.. Brexit - Mr Gupta says thanks for the £60million. We may change our mind depending on how things go.
This gets so confusing, Wolfie, don't you agree?

I think the best course of action is to follow the approach of President Macron and look to the future.

He's a visionary, isn't he and there's no taking a short-term view where he's involved. A good fellow and always well-turned out, from what I have seen.

Paul the Wolf

This gets so confusing, Wolfie, don't you agree?

I think the best course of action is to follow the approach of President Macron and look to the future.

He's a visionary, isn't he and there's no taking a short-term view where he's involved. A good fellow and always well-turned out, from what I have seen.
The disruption at the ports is nothing to do with the pandemic, it should be easier as there is much less traffic.
"If anything goes wrong, blame the pandemic not Brexit"

This was predicted way back in this thread.

You seriously think Nissan will stay in the UK. Or the other car manufacturers. But then you are going to trade "differently" - has anyone decided what this will be?

Nissan builds the Juke and Qashqai compact sport utility vehicles in the U.K., in addition to the Leaf. The company recently decided against making another electric model at Sunderland and scrapped two years ago to build its X-Trail SUV there.

Gupta said it’s too early for Nissan to decide whether it will build more models at the plant. The company will keep evaluating whether its product lineup and business plans are aligned with demand and invest in the U.K. as long as business conditions are consistent.

F-Red

The disruption at the ports is nothing to do with the pandemic, it should be easier as there is much less traffic.

You seriously think Nissan will stay in the UK. Or the other car manufacturers. But then you are going to trade "differently" - has anyone decided what this will be?

Nissan builds the Juke and Qashqai compact sport utility vehicles in the U.K., in addition to the Leaf. The company recently decided against making another electric model at Sunderland and scrapped two years ago to build its X-Trail SUV there.

Gupta said it’s too early for Nissan to decide whether it will build more models at the plant. The company will keep evaluating whether its product lineup and business plans are aligned with demand and invest in the U.K. as long as business conditions are consistent.
There is some degree of truth with the ports being impacted because of the pandemic. We've had no end of problems with Felixstowe dating back to October/November and they're still struggling to resolve the backlog. We ended up docking containers in the Netherlands and then road freighting them across.

Brexit just adds another pointless layer of complex to that with regards to clearance, duty, and processes.

Paul the Wolf

There is some degree of truth with the ports being impacted because of the pandemic. We've had no end of problems with Felixstowe dating back to October/November and they're still struggling to resolve the backlog. We ended up docking containers in the Netherlands and then road freighting them across.

Brexit just adds another pointless layer of complex to that with regards to clearance, duty, and processes.
Yes but the problems at Felixstowe and other ports was also due to companies stockpiling to get supplies in before the end of 2020 because of the end of the transition period. You could dock them in NL but not in the UK. Nissan is reliant on rapid supply chains usually transported by trucks.

F-Red

Yes but the problems at Felixstowe and other ports was also due to companies stockpiling to get supplies in before the end of 2020 because of the end of the transition period. You could dock them in NL but not in the UK. Nissan is reliant on rapid supply chains usually transported by trucks.
Ours was just usual demand shipments into us, I think most retail businesses' would have scheduled stockpiled in August/September, as October/November is left for DC processing and distribution to stores. Felixstowe, specifically wasn't helped with a lot of PPE just sitting on port reducing the capacity, and the biggest reason for the delays was more due to a spate of covid going through the workforce combined with more experienced members being furloughed.

Nissan probably use road routes predominantly, but the article you're linking referenced the ports.

Plymouth Red

Hi, Wolfie

You're right that the pandemic is skewing matters and there's clearly no end in sight. Obviously differences in the speed of exit from the pandemic country by country will have a direct effect on their individual economic recovery, which is tough to call at present.

The feeling here about the Nissan announcement (which is unlikely to be a maverick exec going off message) is that it's a reliable medium-term indicator. That's definitely how some of the big accountancy firms and banks are viewing it, in my personal experience.

But who knows? This sector more than most is facing enormous challenges generally, many of which are irreversible and incredibly costly to address. There's also the changing generational attitude to cars and their diminishing affordability which will create further market pressures.

All parody aside, I would not place too many bets on any strategic issue at the moment. Keep the money in your pocket until the dust settles a bit more.

Who'd have thought. Four reasonably sensible paragraphs from me with no reference to cheese.

Cheers and stay safe!

Plymouth Red

Oh shit! I stand corrected it’s all been worth it. Brexit means batteries!!
If only we were swapping insights a year or two back, Shin!

"Brexit means batteries!!" Pure genius! You could have made a few quid by selling the rights during the campaigning.

Could have been on the side of a bus. On reflection, it would probably been a diesel one, knowing how things worked out.

Let's hold the thought, though and keep our eyes open for future opportunities? Split 50:50? No, let's make it 60:40 for you. I don't fancy arguing with a ninja. Tricky chaps, I'm told.

Shall I draw up papers?

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
"Hi, Pydge,

I'm not going to comply with your request to "Call me a grumpy fat lazy piece of shit Scotsman with no hair" because we're not on sufficiently familiar terms yet but let's work on it, shall we?

Now, you'll remember asking Crackers whether he (or she?) understood the concept of parody?

I had read these words which you penned and they really resonated with me. Not because of your grandmother's apparent lack of affection for you (I had similar issues, so you see we're already starting to build a bridge) but because of your tongue in cheek style and willingness to defuse situations and avoid conflict. And all with a bit of parody. "Well done, Pydge," I thought.

"As an outsider I am able to look at the whole Ireland thing without any emotional baggage getting in the way, and see it purely from a position of sound mind and logic. And, come on guys, there's plenty of whiskey and potatoes to go around - you should just stop fighting, yeah?

Back when there used to be big issues around our area with the McCoists and the Larsson's they all got together and just had a night in the pubs throwing back some pints. Everybody likes pints. You could even use that as the start of some kind of united national anthem, yeah?

I remember my nan saying to me "Pidgy, son, you're a fecking idiot and nobody loves you. Get the feck out of my shed" and it really made me understand that everybody wants to do what's best for me, yeah? Like, I could technically research why Fridays are graded on quality in the two or three Ireland's you've got over there, like picking out the best haggis to chase after like we do here every Burning Rabies Night, but I don't need to do I? Because I'm fecking amazing, I am."

Now, Pydge, I'm not so sure I read you correctly. I suspect you may be a member of the 'don't do as I do' brigade which is a shame, because you're bigger than that, Pydge. And I'm not referring back to your self-portrayal as a tad above average weight.

I will take you up on the offer of advice as I am a firm believer in looking for different perspectives and trying to see others' points of view. It's good to know you are there, Pydge and try to avoid catching trichomonas gallinae because it sounds like you enjoy your food.
It was a good idea to quote some of my stuff. It means that some of your post is actually funny.

Writing 101; make a point and stick to it. You should write that on your forehead so that you see it every time you stare up at your ceiling mirror. Your Bob the Builder costume is optional on this occasion.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Of a million strange turns this thread has taken over the past 5 years, the last few pages have to be amongst the very weirdest.

NinjaFletch

What football team does Boris support?

Because rambling prose chocked full of fatuous Latin and total bollocks about cheese.... I'm seeing a pattern.

Paul the Wolf

Hi, Wolfie

You're right that the pandemic is skewing matters and there's clearly no end in sight. Obviously differences in the speed of exit from the pandemic country by country will have a direct effect on their individual economic recovery, which is tough to call at present.

The feeling here about the Nissan announcement (which is unlikely to be a maverick exec going off message) is that it's a reliable medium-term indicator. That's definitely how some of the big accountancy firms and banks are viewing it, in my personal experience.

But who knows? This sector more than most is facing enormous challenges generally, many of which are irreversible and incredibly costly to address. There's also the changing generational attitude to cars and their diminishing affordability which will create further market pressures.

All parody aside, I would not place too many bets on any strategic issue at the moment. Keep the money in your pocket until the dust settles a bit more.

Who'd have thought. Four reasonably sensible paragraphs from me with no reference to cheese.

Cheers and stay safe!
I don't expect Nissan to close tomorrow but they will assess whether it's worth while over the coming months and years , as will the others. All companies would normally assess which path is their most economic and efficient way of progressing. The more barriers there are will make them make decisions to circumvent those barriers.

Paul the Wolf

Ours was just usual demand shipments into us, I think most retail businesses' would have scheduled stockpiled in August/September, as October/November is left for DC processing and distribution to stores. Felixstowe, specifically wasn't helped with a lot of PPE just sitting on port reducing the capacity, and the biggest reason for the delays was more due to a spate of covid going through the workforce combined with more experienced members being furloughed.

Nissan probably use road routes predominantly, but the article you're linking referenced the ports.
True. The article was linked to the Nissan story with the BBC blaming disruption at ports for the production stoppage.

Plymouth Red

It was a good idea to quote some of my stuff. It means that some of your post is actually funny.

Writing 101; make a point and stick to it. You should write that on your forehead so that you see it every time you stare up at your ceiling mirror. Your Bob the Builder costume is optional on this occasion.
Are you sure you’re Scottish, Pydge? It’s an easy mistake to make, especially as your grandmother was, let’s say, pointed in some of her feedback to you.

I was reading about the traits of Scottish people on Neil Robertson’s blog where he, as a Scotsman, give his take on being a Scot.

He cites his fellow Scots as being friendly, well-mannered and says that being wound up is part and parcel of their conversation and poking gentle fun at each other is entirely expected and welcomed.

Hence my question, Pydge, because on the basis of our admittedly limited dialogue, you’re not helping Neil to substantiate his researched opinion.

Lang may yer lum reek, Pydge.