Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Plymouth Red

Just like the French to still be running colonies. Bah humbug Papillon.
Oates, you need to check it out. There are French overseas territories, collectivities, regions and probably a few more types. Who knew?

We've got a couple, but I think we'll get away with it on the grounds that most of ours are more like the banking equivalent of remote working. Just without the oversight and regulations.

Better to keep your spare cash there than in a charger, I suppose.

Plymouth Red

Not sure yo
No they don't want to leave the EU either.
Not sure you're on the money, there, Wolfie. FG is the only part of the Americas still under European control and not all the locals are happy about it, apparently, according to this list.

In fairness, it's a pretty long list and we can only hope that the individual movements don't end badly for the ordinary folk involved.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Not sure yo

Not sure you're on the money, there, Wolfie. FG is the only part of the Americas still under European control and not all the locals are happy about it, apparently, according to this list.

In fairness, it's a pretty long list and we can only hope that the individual movements don't end badly for the ordinary folk involved.
There's also a rumour going round Scotland may want to leave the UK and rejoin the EU, you never know.

Plymouth Red

Meanwhile, let's try and spin some whimsical right-wing bollocks about this...

EU shellfish import ban permanent, UK fishing industry told

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-55903599
Steve

There's nothing whimsical about this. It's not unexpected by many in the industry and some would say it's par for the course. I have family connections with a trawler operating out of Plymouth and asked the skipper of one about this type of issue pre- the conclusion of the agreement. His view was that a difficult period was expected for a while once we left the EU but eventually, he thought sense would prevail because of supply and demand issues, which lost me a bit.

He said that various types of fish etc stock had wildly different levels which is why the fishing negotiations took so long. As I understand it, the EU countries now don't have access to decent shellfish sources, whereas we have better waters, thanks to the gulf stream. The Med is quite depleted and it's progressively pushed Europe's boats into our waters.

I don't know more than that but maybe there's a bit more willingness now to be less inflammatory about such matters. As I read it, a whelk that was acceptable to France a few weeks ago is not now, which is hard to work out.

Paul the Wolf

Steve

There's nothing whimsical about this. It's not unexpected by many in the industry and some would say it's par for the course. I have family connections with a trawler operating out of Plymouth and asked the skipper of one about this type of issue pre- the conclusion of the agreement. His view was that a difficult period was expected for a while once we left the EU but eventually, he thought sense would prevail because of supply and demand issues, which lost me a bit.

He said that various types of fish etc stock had wildly different levels which is why the fishing negotiations took so long. As I understand it, the EU countries now don't have access to decent shellfish sources, whereas we have better waters, thanks to the gulf stream. The Med is quite depleted and it's progressively pushed Europe's boats into our waters.

I don't know more than that but maybe there's a bit more willingness now to be less inflammatory about such matters. As I read it, a whelk that was acceptable to France a few weeks ago is not now, which is hard to work out.
Probably got something to do with leaving the EU / transition period a few weeks ago. Looks like you've got plenty more surprises to come.
Btw should we start calling you Hoe after Plymouth Hoe

Plymouth Red

Probably got something to do with leaving the EU / transition period a few weeks ago. Looks like you've got plenty more surprises to come.
Btw should we start calling you Hoe after Plymouth Hoe
Ho, ho, ho. Wolfie. Don’t mind what you call me as long as you call me for my dinner.

Of course, we had your chap Napoleon on HMS Bellerophon in Plymouth Sound in 1815. Apparently, he enjoyed the local shellfish during his ten day stay. You might want to pass this on to Michel as a testimony to the quality of the local produce.

Plymouth Red

Do you mean "hoe" with its modern slang meaning? :nervous:
Yep, my preference is a straight draw hoe to get behind the rhododendrons but did you know there’s also a stirrup hoe.

Ideal for you if you’re doing any tidying up of your borders.

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Yep, my preference is a straight draw hoe to get behind the rhododendrons but did you know there’s also a stirrup hoe.

Ideal for you if you’re doing any tidying up of your borders.
What about your plums?

Plummy Hoe?

Plymouth Red

He is an overenthusiastic gardener and not a deviant.
Get it now. Deviant’s a bit strong, JP, isn’t it? Although looking at the Urban Dictionary, horse choker is definitely a term outside of my vocabulary at the garden centre.

Fluctuation0161

Wobble, I truly respect your honesty. Let’s not pretend people’s opinions count, let’s just tell them what’s going to happen and save all those pencils and voting papers.

But I agree that voting for constitutIonal change is vital. For example, how would the indigenous Australian population have fared without it?
54 years later.

1. Today in Australia, a mere 3.1 percent of the Australian population is indigenous. Even though they make up so little of the population, however, 19.3 percent of Aboriginal Australians live in poverty compared to 12.4 percent of other Australians.
  2. Only 4.8 percent of Aboriginal peoples have employment within the upper salary levels in Australia. This low percentage may link to pervasive racism within the country. Nineteen percent of Australians believe they are casual racists but refuse to change. Twenty-six percent of Australians have anti-Aboriginal concerns. Meanwhile, eleven percent of Australians do not think all races are equal. There does seem to be a changing tide, however, as 86 percent of Australians believe that Australia needs to do something to fight the pervasive racism in the country.
https://borgenproject.org/facts-about-poverty-among-aboriginal-australians/

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Hi, Cheimoon,

I don't take your comments as rude, because you are erudite and polite. I recall you referring to 'my part of the Netherlands' and assume you may be Dutch. I may be wrong and it is not meant as an insult. I enjoy very much growing tulips. For this purpose, I will assume you are from the Netherlands, in which case your politeness is a pleasant change to the perceived nature of Dutch humour, which is actually known for its insults and rudeness.

The final words in the article I have linked to are pertinent.

"If a Dutch person pulls your leg, don’t be a crybaby and a spoilsport. Learn to laugh and pull the person’s leg in return, then afterwards, get over it. You wouldn’t really want to celebrate a pity party all day as your Dutch counterpart has probably moved on, without a thought about you."

I read these words and they resonated with me, even though I have no ancestral links to the Netherlands. I do, however, enjoy cheese, which is also a big Dutch pastime, as I understand.

Having looked at what, if anything, tickled the Dutch funny bone, I looked at how British humour is portrayed to the rest of the world. In essence...

"Combine self-deprecation with a dose of understated sarcasm and you have the key ingredients of British humor. Sarcasm and irony are ingrained in our DNA. They are produced with world-class timing and nearly always with a deadpan delivery that will leave you wondering as to whether it was indeed a joke (or not?)"

Which is why Wolfie told me gorgonzola was an Italian cheese, not French as I suggested. My lack of culinary knowledge or his missing a bit of mischief?

So I conclude that you and I may start from a different position on what we consider funny. There are also probably some generational differences between us which add to the mix.

My formative years were peppered with programmes like Best Of Enemies in the late 60s, through Ripping Yarns, the Wheeltappers and Shunters Social Club, Wodehouse Playhouse, The Comic Strip, The New Statesman, into the 90s with Mrs Merton, Alexei Sayle, Ben Elton and Paul Merton and thereafter, it's been more of the same with today's better known names that make 'Dave' what it is.

Blame this stream of pixels and radio waves partly for how I choose to express myself. To put it crudely (which I try to refrain from), I grew up in a world where people properly and often cruelly took the piss out of everyone and anyone regardless of age, colour, creed, disability, heritage, sexuality and a hundred more characteristics. It was pretty brutal in that respect and I suspect you would have hated it. Inevitably, some of it rubs off but hopefully not too much. Mischief not malice is my style of choice.

Out of curiosity, Cheimoon, have you give other posters much feedback on their writing style?

Or have I achieved, in your eyes, the status of being the rudest and most insulting poster on the forum? Maybe I'm the first to receive a demerit from you? Or am I one of many? Do you jump on the 'fecks', 'cnuts' and similar bits of feedback sometimes handed out? Or do you class that style of writing as socially acceptable now?

Let's talk about another difference between us. In the thread on the End of the United Kingdom. Your question to Acnumber9 was

"Why's that? Wouldn't NI just join RoI, and things would kinda go on as before, especially now the customs border is anyway in the Irish Sea?"

To a British bloke who was in Belfast during the Troubles, your naivety is astonishing, But you don't know our history and why should you? Hence I didn't enter the debate to help you with your thinking. Yours was an innocent question but an open goal to anyone who wished to be truly sarcastic and insulting. Not guilty, m'Lud.

What I try to do is make some points that might have been missed or ignored, bring some balance or alternate thinking and challenge. Point out issues, facts or context that explain or undermine a point of view that someone has enunciated which is not in any shape or form fact-based. With my tongue firmly in my cheek, often, I admit.

I dislike double standards, which is why I asked about how much feedback you give on writing style. To bring balance, I find yours dull and humourless. It reminds me of too many board papers I had to read and approve which were anodyne and forgettable. Elk op hun eigen.

Hypocrisy is another bete noire for me. It's inbuilt in all debate and forums like this, but there's still value in pointing it out, especially when facts can highlight it.

You'll perhaps have seen If someone on here insults the UK and rants about how rubbish it is to live here, I sometimes tell them politely to leave. Similarly, when someone says the UK doesn't make a significant contribution to humanitarian causes, I point out that they are wrong, using facts. If someone says democracy is a bad idea, I take issue.

This place is so polarised that the shades of grey between white and black don't get much of a look in, so I try to give them some airtime, in my own, as you say, peculiar, style.

I'm going to bring this to an end now, Cheimoon. No plays on words with your nom de plume. No misspelling or abbreviation. No Edam from Switzerland throwaways (sorry, Cheimoon, but it's lunchtime here and I can't help thinking about a cheese sandwich. Cheddar, though. We can't get foreign stuff here because the lorries can't get through).

If I have bruised your sensitivities, I am deeply sorry. You were never meant to feel any discomfort from my musings. Deep down, you know that's the case and I hope you are OK now.

Let's be friends, let's celebrate the things we share in common and accept those that are points of divergence. I promise to try hard to do as you ask.

Above all, stay safe, be a good person and keep up the good work.

One final question, if I may, Cheimoon? Are you really from the Netherlands?
I suppose I owe you a response to this epistle. I was rather hoping @oates would do it, but I suppose he's just lazily lurking in my inbox. Thanks for nothing, bud.

I see that you are upset that I called you out on your style, while you see so many rude and vulgar posters around. While I don't disagree on the latter, I don't think there is a double standard there, as I think your style in this thread stands out quite markedly. Rudeness is quite obvious, and it is relatively easy to deal with for other posters and moderators. In your style, however, it seems to me that you are deliberately packaging your gibes in (an attempt at) erudite comedy. I do think it's deliberate, as your posts elsewhere are not like this. I'm not sure why, of course. Maybe it is a private joke for you, a way to express your dislike for the discourse in this and related threads; but I might be off entirely here. In any case, I thought various posters were trying to make this point, and I thought I might try to add to it in my own way. I'm sorry if I am mistaken on all counts and if this offended your feelings - although your reply here suggest I may be on to something. But maybe I'm misreading that as well.

All the same, I agree, of course, that I have no standing here, that you are entirely free to ignore whatever I say, that you can post in whatever style the moderators allow - and that you can comment on my posting style in turn as well. I am sorry you find it dull and humourless. So is this post, I imagine. (Although I do appreciate the time you spent reading my posts. Also, I would actually have welcomed being rebuked for my question on NI; I am always happy to learn.) From my perspective, I would add that I should try harder to keep down my sarcasm and snarkiness: it's unhelpful and provocative. On humour though, I will say that I do very much enjoy the English sense of humour, and think I can be funny in person (cré-moé, cré-moé pas); but somehow I can't quite translate that to my writing. I guess we have that in common, then. (Ba-dum tss, as Cleisthenes said.)

You are correct, btw, that I am Dutch-Canadian, having grown up in the Netherlands. (I mention it too often, don't I.) I'm not too interested in stereotypes, but I'll say that you might want to find a different online translator. I don't think it was meant as a joke!

Anyway, happy to return to the thread's subject, if you'd prefer so. I suppose we'll find out what we have in common - outside Cleisthenes. (Although it's a bit late in Greek history for me.)

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
I suppose I owe you a response to this epistle. I was rather hoping @oates would do it, but I suppose he's just lazily lurking in my inbox. Thanks for nothing, bud.

I see that you are upset that I called you out on your style, while you see so many rude and vulgar posters around. While I don't disagree on the latter, I don't think there is a double standard there, as I think your style in this thread stands out quite markedly. Rudeness is quite obvious, and it is relatively easy to deal with for other posters and moderators. In your style, however, it seems to me that you are deliberately packaging your gibes in (an attempt at) erudite comedy. I do think it's deliberate, as your posts elsewhere are not like this. I'm not sure why, of course. Maybe it is a private joke for you, a way to express your dislike for the discourse in this and related threads; but I might be off entirely here. In any case, I thought various posters were trying to make this point, and I thought I might try to add to it in my own way. I'm sorry if I am mistaken on all counts and if this offended your feelings - although your reply here suggest I may be on to something. But maybe I'm misreading that as well.

All the same, I agree, of course, that I have no standing here, that you are entirely free to ignore whatever I say, that you can post in whatever style the moderators allow - and that you can comment on my posting style in turn as well. I am sorry you find it dull and humourless. So is this post, I imagine. (Although I do appreciate the time you spent reading my posts. Also, I would actually have welcomed being rebuked for my question on NI; I am always happy to learn.) From my perspective, I would add that I should try harder to keep down my sarcasm and snarkiness: it's unhelpful and provocative. On humour though, I will say that I do very much enjoy the English sense of humour, and think I can be funny in person (cré-moé, cré-moé pas); but somehow I can't quite translate that to my writing. I guess we have that in common, then. (Ba-dum tss, as Cleisthenes said.)

You are correct, btw, that I am Dutch-Canadian, having grown up in the Netherlands. (I mention it too often, don't I.) I'm not too interested in stereotypes, but I'll say that you might want to find a different online translator. I don't think it was meant as a joke!

Anyway, happy to return to the thread's subject, if you'd prefer so. I suppose we'll find out what we have in common - outside Cleisthenes. (Although it's a bit late in Greek history for me.)
Sorry, too busy reading your PMs. Far more interesting anyway.

Simbo

:lol: So many metaphors, so little time. Asking EU to ease customs checks at a border completely within the UK.
#takebackcontrol

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
You couldn't make this shit up....Episode no.348626

PM urges EU action to ease Brexit tensions in NI

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-55913907
To be fair, he does have some point here. Britain has delayed implementing some of the customs rules until July (related to a specific set of products, I think), while the EU has implemented everything as of Jan 1. So from a UK perspective, the EU could do something similar and make the transition a little easier.

On the other hand, it wouldn't make sense for the EU to undo some of the new rules now, when they've already been in place for a month. It'd also have to be for a short term; they'd never agree to the 2023 idea. The 2023 point is anyway an indictment of the UK's poor preparations; why couldn't they be more ready? Why would things need to be kicked this far down the road?

I was anyway reading a Dutch article yesterday, explaining how the UK's systems with the EU's (leading to people doing manual data entry overnight so shipments can arrive!), the UK have far too few customs officers, and how NI supermarkets are going to face fresh meat shortages (pork in particular, I think) because of all this. But Johnson won't own up to that anymore than Von der Leyen will own up to last week's NI mistake, of course.

Sorry, too busy reading your PMs. Far more interesting anyway.
Let me know if you find something interesting, will ya? Cheers!

Paul the Wolf

To be fair, he does have some point here. Britain has delayed implementing some of the customs rules until July (related to a specific set of products, I think), while the EU has implemented everything as of Jan 1. So from a UK perspective, the EU could do something similar and make the transition a little easier.

On the other hand, it wouldn't make sense for the EU to undo some of the new rules now, when they've already been in place for a month. It'd also have to be for a short term; they'd never agree to the 2023 idea. The 2023 point is anyway an indictment of the UK's poor preparations; why couldn't they be more ready? Why would things need to be kicked this far down the road?

I was anyway reading a Dutch article yesterday, explaining how the UK's systems with the EU's (leading to people doing manual data entry overnight so shipments can arrive!), the UK have far too few customs officers, and how NI supermarkets are going to face fresh meat shortages (pork in particular, I think) because of all this. But Johnson won't own up to that anymore than Von der Leyen will own up to last week's NI mistake, of course.

Let me know if you find something interesting, will ya? Cheers!
The UK will never be ready, they do not understand how trade with a third country works. You cannot operate a country which conducts most of its trade with its closest geographical neighbours outside a custom's union. If it's delayed to 2043 it still wouldn't be suitable. This is what the UK voted for even if they didn't realise it. They already have the best of two bad options, the other was a hard border on the island of Ireland.

If there wasn't the pandemic limiting the trade, it would be even worse.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The UK will never be ready, they do not understand how trade with a third country works. You cannot operate a country which conducts most of its trade with its closest geographical neighbours outside a custom's union. If it's delayed to 2043 it still wouldn't be suitable. This is what the UK voted for even if they didn't realise it. They already have the best of two bad options, the other was a hard border on the island of Ireland.

If there wasn't the pandemic limiting the trade, it would be even worse.
You can but it's going to cost you space, money, manpower and time.