Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
You've just answered the question. A number of countries are unhappy with how the EU have handled the pandemic as it's highlighted the issues in collectively trusting the EU to deal with such matters.
That's you wishing that to be true, fuelled by the pro brexit pamphlets that you might enjoy reading.

TheReligion

Abusive
That's you wishing that to be true, fuelled by the pro brexit pamphlets that you might enjoy reading.
Not really. I can think of far better and more important things to "wish" for at the moment if I'm honest. I also don't particularly enjoy reading anything about Brexit. The narrative from both sides is quite tedious in the main. The pro EUers would have you believe it's the best thing since sliced bread and the UK is doomed whilst the Brexiteers will tell you Britannia will rule the waves and is better off without.

The truth is somewhere in the middle.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
They've certainly handled the vaccine procurement and roll out significantly better (pains me to say it).
Yeah by acting the gobshites that they are. If we all followed that..

they took a huge gamble with AZ and gambled on it being given the green light. Thankfully for everyone, it was. But if it hadn’t you’d be sitting on millions of vaccines and all sorts being asked about the government. Don’t even start on their cronyism

I think that the NHS have done an incredible job

TheReligion

Abusive
Yeah by acting the gobshites that they are. If we all followed that..

they took a huge gamble with AZ and gambled on it being given the green light. Thankfully for everyone, it was. But if it hadn’t you’d be sitting on millions of vaccines and all sorts being asked about the government. Don’t even start on their cronyism

I think that the NHS have done an incredible job
The NHS has been superb. The best health service in the world bar none.

Oh I'm no lover of the Tory's but they took a calculated risk and it's worked out. Obviously it could have gone wrong but they made a decision which is what we ask of the government really. Being risk averse in decision making is weak and even more damaging than making decisions that are wrong in my opinion.

Fluctuation0161

Oh I'm no lover of the Tory's but they took a calculated risk and it's worked out. Obviously it could have gone wrong but they made a decision which is what we ask of the government really. Being risk averse in decision making is weak and even more damaging than making decisions that are wrong in my opinion.
Law of averages. If we took a sample of 10 covid related decisions by the UK government, only 1 has actually worked.

The rest have prioritised giving large contracts to Tory donors and failed.

The fact the UK has the highest death toll in Europe reflects this.

TheReligion

Abusive
Law of averages. If we took a sample of 10 covid related decisions by the UK government, only 1 has actually worked.

The rest have prioritised giving large contracts to Tory donors and failed.

The fact the UK has the highest death toll in Europe reflects this.
It doesn't mean you can't praise the good decision and accept it's been better than anything the EU have done on the matter does it?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
It doesn't mean you can't praise the good decision and accept it's been better than anything the EU have done on the matter does it?
He didn’t compare to EU. Neither did I, you need to get off this crusade. It’s ok to criticize bits of what the U.K. government did.
likewise the EU have been behind the ball, everyone knows that, especially people like me waiting on a vaccine

TheReligion

Abusive
He didn’t compare to EU. Neither did I, you need to get off this crusade. It’s ok to criticize bits of what the U.K. government did.
likewise the EU have been behind the ball, everyone knows that, especially people like me waiting on a vaccine
I think quite the opposite. There's an unwillingness to praise anything done by the UK because it's linked to the Tory's. I get that and understand why as my own political compass is centre left and I'm from the North of England. That said at times you have to be objective and look at things so.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Ah okay. I think you're overrating the impact that has on trust in the EU within the EU though. I suppose it's now the main thing you hear about the EU in the UK, and so it might come across as a major talking point regarding the usefulness of the EU; but reading Dutch media myself, this is really not something that is considered to say much about the EU as a whole. And I'd also think myself that's a very minor thing among everything the EU stands for and does.
I have been reading about France and Germany as well as Spain working on a new military fighter jet.
The programme has hit a number of major political difficulties.
But apparently both France, who want to lead the programme and Germany are being urged by Macron the resolve the problems - because he sees it as important in order to progress the move towards his desire for the Federal State of Europe.

I am just quoting what I have read in an international magazine.

Simbo

This isn't a business decision, when it comes to people's lives, you don't take any risk.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
You've just answered the question. A number of countries are unhappy with how the EU have handled the pandemic as it's highlighted the issues in collectively trusting the EU to deal with such matters.
In France people are mostly blaming the French government for being shite, not the EU. I think the UK media obsession with the EU clouds how much people in Britain percieve the importance of the EU in decision making for Europeans. If anything it was the British who used to always give their own government a free pass and blame the EU instead.

TheReligion

Abusive
This isn't a business decision, when it comes to people's lives, you don't take any risk.
In an ideal world you don't but in reality to save lives you often have to make risk decisions. What is important is how you seek to mitigate risk is such scenarios.

TheReligion

Abusive
In France people are mostly blaming the French government for being shite, not the EU. I think the UK media obsession with the EU clouds how much people in Britain percieve the importance of the EU in decision making for Europeans. If anything it was the British who used to always give their own government a free pass and blame the EU instead.
I think the truth is somewhere in the middle of that tbh.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I have been reading about France and Germany as well as Spain working on a new military fighter jet.
But apparently both France, who want to lead the programme and Germany are being urged by Macron the resolve the problems - because he sees it as important in order to progress the move towards his desire for the Federal State of Europe.

Is that still the Eurofighter? I hadn't heard about that for ages. Is that still going on?

Military is a weird one, since the EU is basically out of it entirely, but then it can't be disregarded completely, etc. One of those things that should be resolved soon - especially if the EU wants to have a stronger voice internationally.

Simbo

Is that still the Eurofighter? I hadn't heard about that for ages. Is that still going on?

Military is a weird one, since the EU is basically out of it entirely, but then it can't be disregarded completely, etc. One of those things that should be resolved soon - especially if the EU wants to have a stronger voice internationally.
Its the replacement to the Eurofighter, which will be a joint project between France, Spain & Germany, due in around 20 years. Its a joint project between close military allies, as was the EuroFighter. Nothing to do with anyones desire for a 'Federal state of Europe', that's just a typical anti-EU propagandist slogan.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Just received an announcement from a UK delivery company we've used a couple of times, but who were used very regularly by a lot of UK immigrants (expats!!).
The outcome was a certainty and inevitable since the numpties voted in 2016, deal or no deal. The company lasted less than three months into Brexit without them making a single delivery in that time.
Another Brexit dividend.

Thursday 25th March 2021
ANNOUNCEMENT
Following Brexit and the departure of the UK from the EU, and particularly, Mr. Johnson's so-called Tariff Free Trade Deal, we have spent our time exploring every option available to us including the possibility of relocating our operation to Southern Ireland.
Unfortunately, because of the uniqueness of our operation, the complexity of the documentation is far beyond our ability and too expensive to use a Clearing Agent, most have refused the work because of the difficulties involved. It is, therefore, with great regret and sadness we have no option but to admit defeat and cease trading.
We would like to take this opportunity to thank all our customers who have supported us, particularly the many who have used our service from the beginning and have become good friends over the years.
We would also like to take this opportunity to speak out to all Expats who voted for Brexit - The result of Brexit and the UK leaving Europe is that our company, and many others, will close with many people losing their jobs. We ourselves employed, 13 full and part-time members of staff.
Over the past 10 years, Mouse 2 House Deliveries had become a core part of the lives of many ex-pats living in France. We are totally disheartened, dismayed, and disappointed at the number of short-sighted people who voted for Brexit, who now admit to not realising the full implications of it. One of these implications being our company having to close.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers

Not Eurofighter. That is in service.
It is called FCAS future combat air system and is intended to replace Eurofighter and the French Rafale.
It is due in service towards the late 2030's.
The primary issue is that France insists on design leadership, while Germany wants an equal share. And Spain has recently joined which will reduce both French and German workshare.

What I am understanding is that Macron want's the project to go ahead in order to cement his desire for a Federal State of Europe.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Its the replacement to the Eurofighter, which will be a joint project between France, Spain & Germany, due in around 20 years. Its a joint project between close military allies, as was the EuroFighter. Nothing to do with anyones desire for a 'Federal state of Europe', that's just a typical anti-EU propagandist slogan.
Not correct. You can read exactly the same article as I have. The project is called FCAS.
It is quite lengthy but I have just re-read it and the definitely states that Macron wants this project to go ahead with Germany in particular as both allies want to progress toward a Federal State of Europe.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Not correct. You can read exactly the same article as I have. The project is called FCAS.
It is quite lengthy but I have just re-read it and the definitely states that Macron wants this project to go ahead with Germany in particular as both allies want to progress toward a Federal State of Europe.
Federalism has nothing to do with it, this isn't about Macron but about Dassault and Airbus who are trying to find ways to work together. To make it short Dassaul is the manufacturer picked by France who are the supposed leader of the project but Spain and Germany picked Airbus Defense, now the issue is that because Germany and Spain have picked the same manufacturer Airbus are supposed to have 2/3 of the workload while Dassault are supposed to lead the project, previously the workload was 50/50 with Dassault as the leading manufacturer. Now Airbus wants to impose a lot of things because they can.

This topic doesn't concern Brexit or the EU, it has nothing to do with it. Though it does show how France and Germany can sometimes be idiotic, the reason they started the project is because they have a defense agreement, which has nothing to do with the EU or federalism, they shouldn't add a third country to the project. Now the organization is almost guaranteed to be botched because Dassault's concerns are legitimate, you can't put them in charge and then make sure that they aren't really in charge while still putting their reputation in the balance.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chasseur_de_nouvelle_génération

I can only find it in French but I know you can understand French. I did see an article from 2 years ago written by some American with his opinion reflecting what Buster was saying.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Thanks everyone (et merci).

Right, so if I understand it correctly, this is originally unrelated to anything to do with the EU, but Macron is trying to pull it into his grands plans for the future of the EU. Not sure how that points to an issue with the EU, although that discussion on its future is going to be a big talking point in the next years (with or without Macron's input, who I don't see getting reelected right now).

JPRouve

Scout
Thanks everyone (et merci).

Right, so if I understand it correctly, this is originally unrelated to anything to do with the EU, but Macron is trying to pull it into his grands plans for the future of the EU. Not sure how that points to an issue with the EU, although that discussion on its future is going to be a big talking point in the next years (with or without Macron's input, who I don't see getting reelected right now).
No Macron hasn't done that. Macron is the one that announced it and it was and still is part of the French-German defense council, Macron talked and still talk about it as a French-German project and the last news come after a meeting of the French-German defense and security council in February.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Federalism has nothing to do with it, this isn't about Macron but about Dassault and Airbus who are trying to find ways to work together. To make it short Dassaul is the manufacturer picked by France who are the supposed leader of the project but Spain and Germany picked Airbus Defense, now the issue is that because Germany and Spain have picked the same manufacturer Airbus are supposed to have 2/3 of the workload while Dassault are supposed to lead the project, previously the workload was 50/50 with Dassault as the leading manufacturer. Now Airbus wants to impose a lot of things because they can.

This topic doesn't concern Brexit or the EU, it has nothing to do with it. Though it does show how France and Germany can sometimes be idiotic, the reason they started the project is because they have a defense agreement, which has nothing to do with the EU or federalism, they shouldn't add a third country to the project. Now the organization is almost guaranteed to be botched because Dassault's concerns are legitimate, you can't put them in charge and then make sure that they aren't really in charge while still putting their reputation in the balance.
Most of that is quite correct and as usual, you have a very good understanding of the subject.
I have never said anything about Brexit. It has nothing to do it that.

But as mentioned, the article I have read and re-read to check refers to the political aspects.
The project is government funded and Macron is a big advocate.
Merkel is less convinced, but does not want Germany left behind because the UK, Italy and Sweden are collaborating on a parallel project called Tempest.
The article, which is in Flight, a world leading aerospace magazine does state that Macron is driving the project 'in part to push forward with plans for a Sovereign Europe'.
You may not agree, but that is what is being said.

JPRouve

Scout
Most of that is quite correct and as usual, you have a very good understanding of the subject.
I have never said anything about Brexit. It has nothing to do it that.

But as mentioned, the article I have read and re-read to check refers to the political aspects.
The project is government funded and Macron is a big advocate.
Merkel is less convinced, but does not want Germany left behind because the UK, Italy and Sweden are collaborating on a parallel project called Tempest.
The article, which is in Flight, a world leading aerospace magazine does state that Macron is driving the project 'in part to push forward with plans for a Sovereign Europe'.
You may not agree, but that is what is being said.
Sovereign Europe isn't to be confounded with the EU or federalism. It's about having leading defense manufacturers and not rely on none European countries that may have different agendas, the main target being the US. Because when you rely on the US, you are at the mercy of their schedule and future projects, 2020 has been an example of that issue with various missiles and the UK having to monitor decisions from the Pentagon for new generation SLBMs.

Also it's worth keeping in mind that France are currently the third largest arm exporter and growing, so there is a national interest to not cheaply give up markets to foreign countries.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Thanks again for all the clarifications people! Interesting stuff.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I think quite the opposite. There's an unwillingness to praise anything done by the UK because it's linked to the Tory's. I get that and understand why as my own political compass is centre left and I'm from the North of England. That said at times you have to be objective and look at things so.
They have been spectacularly incompetent with deadly results. They rolled out the vaccine fast is the only good thing and even that they gambled and luckily it didn't feck up.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Sovereign Europe isn't to be confounded with the EU or federalism. It's about having leading defense manufacturers and not rely on none European countries that may have different agendas, the main target being the US. Because when you rely on the US, you are at the mercy of their schedule and future projects, 2020 has been an example of that issue with various missiles and the UK having to monitor decisions from the Pentagon for new generation SLBMs.

Also it's worth keeping in mind that France are currently the third largest arm exporter and growing, so there is a national interest to not cheaply give up markets to foreign countries.
As per international law, sovereignty is a government which has complete authority over the operations in a geographical territory or state. ... Thus, it can be concluded that Sovereignty is important because it is the right of the people to elect their government, its laws, etc.

F-Red

They have been spectacularly incompetent with deadly results. They rolled out the vaccine fast is the only good thing and even that they gambled and luckily it didn't feck up.
Let's face it, they can't take any real credit for it as it was Kate Bingham who masterminded the approach. For Brexit though it's been a monumental cock up from day one, I don't know any business that hasn't been affected. From our own business our exports are down by at least a third.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Let's face it, they can't take any real credit for it as it was Kate Bingham who masterminded the approach. For Brexit though it's been a monumental cock up from day one, I don't know any business that hasn't been affected. From our own business our exports are down by at least a third.
As much as Brexit is a clusterfeck, the vaccine roll out in UK had been a success and being in the EU, the UK would not be able to have as many vaccines as they've got. It had been half gamble (sketchy approval, only one dose) half work very well done and neither of them would be probably done being inside the EU as they would go with the pack (even if they would not be obligated to go

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
If Scotland declares independence does the Union Jack/Flag cease to exist?

I’m an historical mental midget so honestly have no clue. All I know is, Scotland’s blue and white does a lot of heavy lifting on that design.

UnrelatedPsuedo

Hasn’t fcuked up yet. There’s still time. It’s been exceptional so far. But we have adopted an attitude that 1st dose is all that matters, for now. I’m very worried that we won’t be Miles ahead of everyone else in 6 months when it comes to Fully Vaccinated.

UnrelatedPsuedo

Balljy

Cheers bud. All a bit shite. To see the flag shaggers reactions to a Scottish trademark claim would be fabulous.

In associated old news... New Zealand thought about removing the British bit of their flag in 2015 while I lived there. ‘Laser Kiwi’ was far too close to making it onto the official ballot.

Link
:lol: Some of the are brilliant, national flags should be voted in

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Hasn’t fcuked up yet. There’s still time. It’s been exceptional so far. But we have adopted an attitude that 1st dose is all that matters, for now. I’m very worried that we won’t be Miles ahead of everyone else in 6 months when it comes to Fully Vaccinated.
There is time to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory of course but hopefully not.

UnrelatedPsuedo

There is time to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory of course but hopefully not.
The single biggest point of success that is rarely discussed is how few doses we are throwing away.

I don’t know if it’s happening nationwide, but in London at least, pop up end of day clinics are ensuring almost every dose is used.

That’s exceptional. But scheduling second doses with the same methodology will be so difficult.

I hate the Tories, but I don’t see how we won’t have to stop maximising first doses to ensure second doses are timed correctly. There’s no unifying app for this. It’s hard work and ad-hoc processes. The things that make it so good for dose 1, could be the things that Fcuk us up inside 3-6 months. Really tough job. They’re nailing it but I hope the best people are sorting the next bit. Not just being told to keep numbers high.

Eendracht maakt macht

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Supports
PSV Eindhoven
Has anyone read a good article on the new financial services deal which has been closed?