Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Can we get this couple the world's smallest violin?

Of all the people to have made this stupid decision, the ones who live in mainland Europe, especially those who are retired like this, have to be the most ridiculous.

https://global247news.com/2021/03/2...to-avoid-being-deported-as-illegals-in-spain/

The article if anyone wants to read it. Shaun still couldn't resist a typically nice bit of British exceptionalism there though. :D

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS

Of all the people to have made this stupid decision, the ones who live in mainland Europe, especially those who are retired like this, have to be the most ridiculous.

https://global247news.com/2021/03/2...to-avoid-being-deported-as-illegals-in-spain/

The article if anyone wants to read it. Shaun still couldn't resist a typically nice bit of British exceptionalism there though. :D
Yeah these people and the guys who voted leave in spite of earning most of their money from exports to the EU have to be the biggest fecking idiots.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips

Notice the photo in the article of the Spanish British pub with more Union Jack flags than Boris Johnson.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff

:lol:I feel bad for people whose dream has been wrecked by idiots, but I'm sure Spain is delighted to lose swathes of them- the tax dodgers, crooks and even the pensioners burdening its health service.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
:lol:I feel bad for people whose dream has been wrecked by idiots, but I'm sure Spain is delighted to lose swathes of them- the tax dodgers, crooks and even the pensioners burdening its health service.
Spain will want those tax dodgers back according to the bloke in the article.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
One ex-pat openly mocks the host nation, the second thinks the host nation will suffer from their absence.

Can’t quite see that.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
One ex-pat openly mocks the host nation, the second thinks the host nation will suffer from their absence.

Can’t quite see that.
(some) Brits have the perception that every country is backwards and other countries love having Brits living there without learning the language or paying tax.

I don't want to tar all Brits living in Spain with the same brush because I know there are many who go there to contribute and be a part of Spanish society.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
(some) Brits have the perception that every country is backwards and other countries love having Brits living there without learning the language or paying tax.

I don't want to tar all Brits living in Spain with the same brush because I know there are many who go there to contribute and be a part of Spanish society.
Is a pity to lose anyone that contributes to the society from wherever they are, I love add to our culture and mingle all together.

But I don't like twats like the one in the article. Not even if they would contribute economically. That they don't. They don't pay taxes, they use public services, the older they get they use more the health public services (even if there are money transfers among the countries, the time adding to the lines is never recovered), they put pressure on the housing prices and they are twats....fecking twats. And with that should be enough. No Shaun you will not be missed but youll miss Spain. good riddance

My shaudenfraudemeter is over the roof

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Why's he not happy to return? Things have been going great since he helped us leave the EU. Our flag sales have skyrocketed, you can get real British food like kaysadeeyas and Chinese takeaways, and we even have our own language now instead of that horrible pict dialect we were all forced to use because of the Eeyoos sanctions against being British (which would get you lined up against a wall and shit in third world Eeyoo nations like Melbourne or Sunderland - it happened to my taxi driving mate Dave who told me about it yesterday when he was giving me a lift to the dogging spot. No masks either.)

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Is a pity to lose anyone that contributes to the society from wherever they are, I love add to our culture and mingle all together.

But I don't like twats like the one in the article. Not even if they would contribute economically. That they don't. They don't pay taxes, they use public services, the older they get they use more the health public services (even if there are money transfers among the countries, the time adding to the lines is never recovered), they put pressure on the housing prices and they are twats....fecking twats. And with that should be enough. No Shaun you will not be missed but youll miss Spain. good riddance

My shaudenfraudemeter is over the roof
I'll add that it's not just the Brits, the Irish do much of the same there as well. Maybe the Irish aren't arrogant about it though.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

Obviously not, but negative emotions trump positive ones. If those two are indicative of the mindset of any typical ‘negative’ ex-pat, I just can’t see that much remorse from Spain, more importantly the regions of Spain where the ex-pats primarily lived.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
I'll add that it's not just the Brits, the Irish do much of the same there as well. Maybe the Irish aren't arrogant about it though.
I mentioned that the main reason is being a twat? :p and that is directed to all Shauns from every nationality, spaniards included, but we can't kick them out. Spain is the Florida of Europe. Germans flooding Mallorca, young Irish and british doing BJ contests in Magaluf and all the coast is full of old retirees immigrants that brings certain advantages and disadvantages and we have to deal with it and its fine. But don't be a twat about it

Old Immigrants bring money with their expenditure but I believe it does not compensate the social burden of the Public Health services (again, even with any money back from UK), other public services that are not refunded and Housing prices increasing among other things, but is part of being on the EU, you get twats but the EU funds you a high speed train. None related but bc being part of the EU and you can't separate that

But again, don't be twat and it goes for all the Shauns in the world. So I am happy about his Spanish retirement dream gone wrong

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
I mentioned that the main reason is being a twat? :p and that is directed to all Shauns from every nationality, spaniards included, but we can't kick them out. Spain is the Florida of Europe. Germans flooding Mallorca, young Irish and british doing BJ contests in Magaluf and all the coast is full of old retirees immigrants that brings certain advantages and disadvantages and we have to deal with it and its fine. But don't be a twat about it

Old Immigrants bring money with their expenditure but I believe it does not compensate the social burden of the Public Health services (again, even with any money back from UK), other public services that are not refunded and Housing prices increasing among other things, but is part of being on the EU, you get twats but the EU funds you a high speed train. None related but bc being part of the EU and you can't separate that

But again, don't be twat and it goes for all the Shauns in the world. So I am happy about his Spanish retirement dream gone wrong
I agree with your take on this. These folk don't want to live in Spain because they like all things Spanish, they want to be there simply for the weather. If Italy was full of British pubs and cafes I don't think we'd want to be here.These people wanted the best of both worlds, which being in the EU gave us.

I'm interested as to why they were turned down for residency, as people on state pensions are still getting free healthcare in Europe under the S1 arrangements. We pay 2,700 euros a year here in Italy to be part of the Italian healthcare system - when we've been resident for 5 years we won't have to pay. Even so, it's a lot of money in the early years, but then, it's based on income - if you don't have much, you pay far less. It's not unreasonable.

I'll never understand why someone whose whole lifestyle was based around having freedom of movement voted to end that privilege.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
The single biggest point of success that is rarely discussed is how few doses we are throwing away.

I don’t know if it’s happening nationwide, but in London at least, pop up end of day clinics are ensuring almost every dose is used.

That’s exceptional. But scheduling second doses with the same methodology will be so difficult.

I hate the Tories, but I don’t see how we won’t have to stop maximising first doses to ensure second doses are timed correctly. There’s no unifying app for this. It’s hard work and ad-hoc processes. The things that make it so good for dose 1, could be the things that Fcuk us up inside 3-6 months. Really tough job. They’re nailing it but I hope the best people are sorting the next bit. Not just being told to keep numbers high.
Yes well done NHS. All the government are saying are “get it done”. The nhs are the ones making it happen

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I'll never understand why someone whose whole lifestyle was based around having freedom of movement voted to end that privilege.
And who didn't intend live in of intend to return to the UK! Although I guess at least you can't say they voted Brexit for selfish reasons...

lynchie

Hasn’t fcuked up yet. There’s still time. It’s been exceptional so far. But we have adopted an attitude that 1st dose is all that matters, for now. I’m very worried that we won’t be Miles ahead of everyone else in 6 months when it comes to Fully Vaccinated.
The UK has already given more 2nd doses per head than the EU. The idea that the JCVI are a bunch of chancers who only care about 1st doses is pretty ridiculous.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
I'm interested as to why they were turned down for residency..
Me too, apparently they were laughable. 5,000 euros a year income and health coverage and minor paperwork.

Could be possible that if you are resident in Spain you need to file taxes over your retiree funds in UK, as they would not be retiree funds in Spain but income as they don't care about the source?

But I don't think many people will be legally kicked out from Spain, the agreement reached between countries covered all the current residence in both countries (and the other countries) to not disrupt their lives

Penna

Staff
Me too, apparently they were laughable. 5,000 euros a year income and health coverage and minor paperwork.

Could be possible that if you are resident in Spain you need to file taxes over your retiree funds in UK, as they would not be retiree funds in Spain but income as they don't care about the source?

But I don't think many people will be legally kicked out from Spain, the agreement reached between countries covered all the current residence in both countries (and the other countries) to not disrupt their lives
It could be where they're living. In Italy, you have to have a proper rental contract or own a house to apply for residency. I suspect that these people might not have had either.

My occupational pension from the NHS isn't counted here as income for our Italian tax returns, as it's a government-paid pension (I'm not old enough for a state pension in the UK). State pensions from the UK wouldn't be double-taxed, either.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
It could be where they're living. In Italy, you have to have a proper rental contract or own a house to apply for residency. I suspect that these people might not have had either.

My occupational pension from the NHS isn't counted here as income for our Italian tax returns, as it's a government-paid pension (I'm not old enough for a state pension in the UK). State pensions from the UK wouldn't be double-taxed, either.
Yes, could be the extra paperwork (registered in the city, utility bills showing where you live, etc..) Anyway, feel bad for the ones that have to leave that are normal people, even for brexiteers that didn't know better and were lied. But so much saudenfraude for Shaun and his british excepcionalism

Penna

Staff
Yes, could be the extra paperwork (registered in the city, utility bills showing where you live, etc..) Anyway, feel bad for the ones that have to leave that are normal people, even for brexiteers that didn't know better and were lied. But so much saudenfraude for Shaun and his british excepcionalism
In Italy, there's a wait period between applying and being accepted, during which the local policeman comes to your house (unannounced) to check you're living there and that it's actually your home. The one that came to us asked us why we wanted to live in Italy and then wandered around the kitchen and upstairs! Possibly just nosy. :D

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore

Does that also imply that in theory any spanish / other europeans who have not registered over in the UK can also be deported in 4 days?

I expect Priti patel is busy getting her hugo boss suit ready for a bit of Hans Landa role play if thats the case?

edit... 1st of july before she can round them up...

https://www.lexology.com/library/de...dline to make this,with EU free movement laws.

Last edited:

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea

Criminal record maybe?

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
I still fail to understand how any business owner/manager that trades goods could buy the dud. It only takes very basic understanding of international trades, custom rules and how time and distances work.
I mean there's no way of knowing how many of them voted for Brexit, but clearly a decent percentage did from the past videos of the fishermen and so on. It is remarkable that the ideology of Brexit overrode even their business sense and now some will go bust. God only knows how someone who sells auto parts to Europe thought Brexit would be a plus for their business.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I mean there's no way of knowing how many of them voted for Brexit, but clearly a decent percentage did from the past videos of the fishermen and so on. It is remarkable that the ideology of Brexit overrode even their business sense and now some will go bust. God only knows how someone who sells auto parts to Europe thought Brexit would be a plus for their business.
There's enough evidence to say that a sizable portion of business owners were swayed by the "open to more worldwide markets" myth.
It just showed a basic lack of understanding and business owners wanting to be fed a lie. A lot of these people wanted Brexit and were willing to take any excuse to vote for what they wanted.
One of the biggest factors in international trade is geography. Too many decided to ignore it. The idea our exports to the EU can be replaced by exports elsewhere is not even reasonable enough to discuss.