Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
UK triggered article 50. Both to blame. UK started this now with the northern irland border. Again both to blame. You definitely have no shame

You see everything but you only comment about after it happens. It might be that you need to come from miles away from where you see everything to explain us personally and it already happened unfortunately
I like Matic's take on it, it's like a husband saying he and the missus share equal blame for the marriage failing because she wouldn't just let him shag prossies once a week and have a mistress or two.
How can you argue against it? If she'd just accepted it they'd still be together.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips

Maticmaker

UK triggered article 50. Both to blame. UK started this now with the northern irland border. Again both to blame. You definitely have no shame

You see everything but you only comment about after it happens. It might be that you need to come from miles away from where you see everything to explain us personally and it already happened unfortunately
I did not say both were to blame, I said it does not matter now, at this point in time, who was to blame, the world has moved on, that ship has sailed etc.

If you look back you will see I argued that when Mrs. May lost three consecutive votes in Parliament, she should have said "OK we cannot agree amongst ourselves so I am withdrawing A50 until we can" That would have given everybody a chance to take another view.

Personally I believe that leavers were never interested in, nor took into account the economics of Brexit, it was a different matter altogether for most of them, that's where the remain side got lost; it was fighting the wrong battle, at the wrong time, with the wrong armaments and only arrived with lucid arguments that might have persuaded enough leavers ( to have influenced the vote) after the battle was over!

I like Matic's take on it, it's like a husband saying he and the missus share equal blame for the marriage failing because she wouldn't just let him shag prossies once a week and have a mistress or two.
How can you argue against it? If she'd just accepted it they'd still be together.
Yes, she never really read or understood the pre-nuptial agreement... where have we heard something similar before?

Balljy

I did not say both were to blame, I said it does not matter now, at this point in time, who was to blame, the world has moved on, that ship has sailed etc.

If you look back you will see I argued that when Mrs. May lost three consecutive votes in Parliament, she should have said "OK we cannot agree amongst ourselves so I am withdrawing A50 until we can" That would have given everybody a chance to take another view.

Personally I believe that leavers were never interested in, nor took into account the economics of Brexit, it was a different matter altogether for most of them, that's where the remain side got lost; it was fighting the wrong battle, at the wrong time, with the wrong armaments and only arrived with lucid arguments that might have persuaded enough leavers ( to have influenced the vote) after the battle was over!

Yes, she never really read or understood the pre-nuptial agreement... where have we heard something similar before?
I can only see one side having issues with the current arrangement in regards to the actual trading relationship and impact on trade though. If it's a Mexican stand-off it's with one person holding a gun vaguely in the area of someone who has long since wandered off to get a coffee and baguette.

Paul the Wolf

Five years ago there were three choices for the UK

1. Stay in the EU CU
2. NI stays in the EU CU - border in the Irish Sea *- current arrangement
3. Border between the RoI and NI - breaks International Law and the GFA

So 5 years later the choices are 2 or 3 - which one is it now.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Five years ago there were three choices for the UK

1. Stay in the EU CU
2. NI stays in the EU CU - border in the Irish Sea *- current arrangement
3. Border between the RoI and NI - breaks International Law and the GFA

So 5 years later the choices are 2 or 3 - which one is it now.
It seems like it's 2 plus the breaking of international law and the GFA from 3.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I think you are probably right and wrong with this one and it is something that perhaps many of us in the remain camp failed to appreciate and probably haven't appreciated for decades.

There is a segment of society that is ideologically and vehemently opposed to the idea of the UK in the European Union and always would be. Some of them are also vehemently opposed to the very idea of an EU and want its eventual destruction, even with Brexit. This includes the likes of Farage, Baker, JRM and I imagine many of the new red wall Tory MPs. They would vote Brexit regardless of the consequences and always would.

But I don't think this was the view of at least a significant minority of leave voters, who were taken in by the propaganda of leave. Its easy to forget now but all kinds of fantastical things were promised. We'd still retain all the benefits of being in the EU, with none of the negatives! None of the contributions but all of the trade. 350 mil to the NHS. Our trade wouldn't be affected and we'd only get more trade with other countries. We'd fish all our British fish! You could dismiss any argument saying otherwise as unpatriotic and project fear.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I think you are probably right and wrong with this one and it is something that perhaps many of us in the remain camp failed to appreciate and probably haven't appreciated for decades.

There is a segment of society that is ideologically and vehemently opposed to the idea of the UK in the European Union and always would be. Some of them are also vehemently opposed to the very idea of an EU and want its eventual destruction, even with Brexit. This includes the likes of Farage, Baker, JRM and I imagine many of the new red wall Tory MPs. They would vote Brexit regardless of the consequences and always would.

But I don't think this was the view of at least a significant minority of leave voters, who were taken in by the propaganda of leave. Its easy to forget now but all kinds of fantastical things were promised. We'd still retain all the benefits of being in the EU, with none of the negatives! None of the contributions but all of the trade. 350 mil to the NHS. Our trade wouldn't be affected and we'd only get more trade with other countries. We'd fish all our British fish! You could dismiss any argument saying otherwise as unpatriotic and project fear.
That final paragraph is also proven now by the many business-owners that have been in the news who are caught by surprise that Brexit isn't paradise and suddenly their business is in danger. They may have had other motives to vote for Brexit, such as the points @Maticmaker listed (which I am not dismissing at all); but as you say, there was certainly (also) an economic motive for some/many.

Abizzz

The entire leave campaign was a long list of lies and leavers now telling remainers what they should have done to win is the icing on the top of a huge pile of flaming brexiteer bull shit. The basis of leave is decades of indoctrination and misinformation, not some simple mistake the remain campaign made :lol: (Even if they did make many)´.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
I did not say both were to blame,......
Sure you didn't

Not just unavoidable, but inherently inevitable!

The last so called 'deal' was a decoy, something strung together to rescue both sides, it always going to be 'bent or broken', as and when, because both sides are still intent on giving each other a 'kicking'.

The 'tit for tat' will go on for a while yet, especially as everyone seeks to recover from Covid; whether its vaccine's going one way or sea-food going the other. A transient period of adjustment in trade and other areas (knock-ons) will be in place for a while yet before a steady state is achieved. As with all such turmoil there will be winners and losers and with most situations... first up best dressed, will apply.
You are equalizing the reaction of the EU to something that the UK has started. every time. As said, no shame

Maticmaker

You are equalizing the reaction of the EU to something that the UK has started. every time. As said, no shame
Not quite sure why you are on about shame?
Politics does not deal in shame, otherwise every politician around the world would be wearing 'sack clothe and ashes'.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Is he making a point?
He was telling me about being shamed, I replied on that level of understanding.
No he was telling you that you did indeed equate the two when you protested that you didn't "both were to blame". You didn't want to answer that point so you clung on to the comment about shame. And you know exactly what you're doing right now.

Maticmaker

No he was telling you that you did indeed equate the two when you protested that you didn't "both were to blame". You didn't want to answer that point so you clung on to the comment about shame. And you know exactly what you're doing right now.
We have past the point of who is to blame, the results in and both sides have to deal with the here and now, that's all I have been saying.
Both sides drew up red lines and on some of these both, or neither side would compromise, that is a fact not a fiction.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
We have past the point of who is to blame, the results in and both sides have to deal with the here and now, that's all I have been saying.
Both sides drew up red lines and on some of these both, or neither side would compromise, that is a fact not a fiction.
"Both sides are to blame for this"
"No, the UK are to blame"
"Look, we're past the point of blame here, it doesn't matter, just gerronvittit!"

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
The UK is 100% to blame. They left seeking unicorns and the EU bent over backwards to help and got grief for not totally capitulating to the UK to have everything on their own terms.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
The UK is 100% to blame. They left seeking unicorns and the EU bent over backwards to help and got grief for not totally capitulating to the UK to have everything on their own terms.
On the basis that it was us who chose to leave, then of course we are to blame.
Not sure about the bending over backwards though. Quite rightly, they were very hard negotiators.

Massive Spanner

On the basis that it was us who chose to leave, then of course we are to blame.
Not sure about the bending over backwards though. Quite rightly, they were very hard negotiators.
Well, you could argue that the EU made far more concessions for the UK than anyone, the UK included, expected them to, so I think they did. The EU made it an absolute priority to preserve the GFA in the face of overwhelming idiocy from the Tories.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Well, you could argue that the EU made far more concessions for the UK than anyone, the UK included, expected them to, so I think they did. The EU made it an absolute priority to preserve the GFA in the face of overwhelming idiocy from the Tories.
Accepted
The GFA is an international peace treaty and it is to the shame of the UK government that it acted as if it was optional.

Massive Spanner

Luckily for them they've a great scapegoat in Covid to blame it on and Brexiteers will lap it up instead of bothering to try rebuke it.

Paul the Wolf

Wow this is even worse then I thought.
One quote is "They put the collapse in trade down to a combination of Brexit and weaker demand in Europe where restaurants, hotels and other hospitality outlets remain closed. "

Yes in some countries restaurants , hotels etc are closed but there are take away services, room services and people haven't stopped eating and drinking , it's just being supplied from elsewhere.

France is now the no.1 destination of UK food and drink exports and although I live in the southern half of France, my game of spot the British lorry has resulted in zero sightings so far this year.

Eendracht maakt macht

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Supports
PSV Eindhoven
One quote is "They put the collapse in trade down to a combination of Brexit and weaker demand in Europe where restaurants, hotels and other hospitality outlets remain closed. "

Yes in some countries restaurants , hotels etc are closed but there are take away services, room services and people haven't stopped eating and drinking , it's just being supplied from elsewhere.

France is now the no.1 destination of UK food and drink exports and although I live in the southern half of France, my game of spot the British lorry has resulted in zero sightings so far this year.
Brexit must be high on the list of stupidest decisions made after WWII. And we still have people wanting a ‘Nexit’ around here. Not a lot fortunately.

TheReligion

Abusive
Brexit must be high on the list of stupidest decisions made after WWII. And we still have people wanting a ‘Nexit’ around here. Not a lot fortunately.
Yes because the EU isn't an absolute shambles at the moment is it...

I don't think anyone will benefit from Brexit in the long term but we will only really see when the dust settles post pandemic. Given what's happened though I wouldn't be surprised to see other nations decide to depart from the EU..

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

I don't think anyone will benefit from Brexit in the long term but we will only really see when the dust settles post pandemic. Given what's happened though I wouldn't be surprised to see other nations decide to depart from the EU..
Getting a bit ahead of yourself. Let's not forget that Britain could see the end of itself due to Brexit due to Scotland potentially leaving.

This isn't the EUs finest hour but I don't see it coming to an end soon.

TheReligion

Abusive
Getting a bit ahead of yourself. Let's not forget that Britain could see the end of itself due to Brexit due to Scotland potentially leaving.

This isn't the EUs finest hour but I don't see it coming to an end soon.
You are right although my response was designed that way due to the other poster getting ahead of themselves with the WW2 nonsense.

Eendracht maakt macht

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Supports
PSV Eindhoven

They made a mistake with the vaccines but would be incredibly stupid to leave the EU because of that.

Wouldn’t call it an absolute shambles. Definitely not and with the Eurobonds (basically) it looks to me the EU is really strong at the moment.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular

Off-topic, but I'm not sure what the reference to the EU as a shambles is about? Vaccine procurement and the management of its fall-out has been an absolute mess (but note that roll-out is done individually by each state), but that's a small aspect compared to the EU project as a whole. What else is going horribly wrong?

TheReligion

Abusive
Off-topic, but I'm not sure what the reference to the EU as a shambles is about? Vaccine procurement and the management of its fall-out has been an absolute mess (but note that roll-out is done individually by each state), but that's a small aspect compared to the EU project as a whole. What else is going horribly wrong?
You've just answered the question. A number of countries are unhappy with how the EU have handled the pandemic as it's highlighted the issues in collectively trusting the EU to deal with such matters.

FireballXL5

Because Boris and his cronies have handled it so much better? Death rates would suggest otherwise.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
You've just answered the question. A number of countries are unhappy with how the EU have handled the pandemic as it's highlighted the issues in collectively trusting the EU to deal with such matters.
Ah okay. I think you're overrating the impact that has on trust in the EU within the EU though. I suppose it's now the main thing you hear about the EU in the UK, and so it might come across as a major talking point regarding the usefulness of the EU; but reading Dutch media myself, this is really not something that is considered to say much about the EU as a whole. And I'd also think myself that's a very minor thing among everything the EU stands for and does.