Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Genuine question, have any actual benefits appeared or expected to appear as a result of Brexit?

Been asking that for five years, still haven't received a coherent answer.

Furthermore not only will there be no benefits, any theoretical imaginary benefits could never make up for all the benefits they did have and have now lost.

stevoc

The real question is - exactly what benefits were we going to get from Brexit.
Apart from nebulous claims about taking back control, there were no defined benefits.
Now. It has to be said that not being part of the EU vaccination programme will be seen as a benefit.
But that was not part of the leave campaign.
True but as you point out that's not something people voted for. And who knows how things would have played out with the vaccine program if the UK was still a member.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Been asking that for five years, still haven't received a coherent answer.

Furthermore not only will there be no benefits, any theoretical imaginary benefits could never make up for all the benefits they did have and have now lost.
Tanned Tony and the likes will have to go back to Blighty unless they became resident somewhere else. That’s a benefit to the EU countries?

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Is our approach going to be to insult everyone we're trying to organise a trade deal with? Its a novel approach, I'll give them that.
Maybe Truss needs to reconsider who her 'allies' her, if this is the sort of stuff they're going to look to the press. :D

Although the Danish farmhand story doesn't look that amazing on Tehan. Or at least, it sounds to me like a took a gap year when he was 18 - which doesn't really scream 'relevant policy experience' to me.

Last edited:

Maticmaker

They didn't but to be honest I can't say I blame them all that much.

The real blame in that regard lies with Cameron and the Tory party, who quite obviously didn't even consider the potential consequences of Brexit for NI themselves. Before organizing a haphazard referendum with little or no thought put into it.
Because they thought they were going to win!
Cameron had won against the Scots (Indy1), got a Tory majority in GE and was going for the treble; but he made some 'rotation' moves, they came off badly, the manager walked, that's the real story of Brexit referendum.

stevoc

Cameron had won against the Scots (Indy1), got a Tory majority in GE and was going for the treble; but he made some 'rotation' moves, they came off badly, the manager walked, that's the real story of Brexit referendum.
Possibly, but in hindsight looking back he did almost everything to ensure they lost. So it makes you wonder.

The worst part of the whole referendum campaign was barely a mention about the possible effects it would have on Northern Ireland. Which in itself should have put the idea to bed for another 10-20 years.

Paul the Wolf

They did win, Tories have a bigger majority than for a long time, they even contrived to get the red wall voting for them and now they've got everyone waving flags from both sides plus a totally useless (again) opposition leader .

They knew Brexit would be disastrous but didn't care, they knew the electorate was so gullible they were in no danger. Pigs in clover.

Five years later and the public are still being fooled. It was as clear as day about the trade problems, about the NI problems about all the problems, nobody wanted to listen and they still won't admit, now, they the public got it so wrong, they can't admit it.

Cameron was just a casualty "for the greater good." of the Tory Party

Just keep waving those flags , I'm sure everything will be fine.

Last edited:

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Possibly, but in hindsight looking back he did almost everything to ensure they lost. So it makes you wonder.

The worst part of the whole referendum campaign was barely a mention about the possible effects it would have on Northern Ireland. Which in itself should have put the idea to bed for another 10-20 years.
I just don't think he thought he was going to lose. I don't think most of us did.

Certainly if I'd known, I'd have tried to do my part at least and go out campaigning or something. We all kind of sleep walked into it.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Maybe Truss needs to reconsider who her 'allies' her, if this is the sort of stuff they're going to look to the press. :D

Although the Danish farmhand story doesn't look that amazing on Tehan. Or at least, it sounds to me like a took a leap-year when he was 18 - which doesn't really scream 'relevant policy experience' to me.
Yeah don;t know what on earth he's talking about there. The underlying message seems to be that there's a lot of issues to solve between the agricultural lobbies on both sides which is fair but no need to throw a gap year story into it.

stevoc

I just don't think he thought he was going to lose. I don't think most of us did.

Certainly if I'd known, I'd have tried to do my part at least and go out campaigning or something. We all kind of sleep walked into it.
He obviously just underestimated the anti EU/foreigner sentiment held by a vast swathe of the UK voters. That and the Leave campaign spewing a load of lies and fairy tales.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Sounds a lot like the Brexit negotiations: bluff & bluster your way through the whole thing - just to learn that your negotiation partners aren't small children that you can scare into agreement.
Sounds like the art of the dealeo from trump

Maticmaker

They did win, Tories have a bigger majority than for a long time, they even contrived to get the red wall voting for them and now they've got everyone waving flags from both sides plus a totally useless (again) opposition leader .
Paul that is some accomplishment, you have to admit?
A super Tory treble; +80 majority in Parliament; turned the red wall blue, and Labour elected a 'Charisma deficit' leader
and a Pandemic to cover Brexit losses!

Things can't get any better for the Tories, can they?

Paul the Wolf

Paul that is some accomplishment, you have to admit?
A super Tory treble; +80 majority in Parliament; turned the red wall blue, and Labour elected a 'Charisma deficit' leader
and a Pandemic to cover Brexit losses!

Things can't get any better for the Tories, can they?
It is, and they've now managed to convince vast swathes of the public that any criticism of what they've done or doing is an insult to the UK. They really cannot believe their luck as everything worked in their favour.

The biggest enemy of the UK are not the EU, the Scots, the Irish, the Remainers or anyone else they want to divert the blame on, it's the Tories themselves and the fools who believe all the lies and propaganda.
Question now is where and how will it end.

Certainly not until there is someone who is strong charismatic leader to oppose them and not a weak, complicit waste of space.

Maticmaker

It is, and they've now managed to convince vast swathes of the public that any criticism of what they've done or doing is an insult to the UK. They really cannot believe their luck as everything worked in their favour.

The biggest enemy of the UK are not the EU, the Scots, the Irish, the Remainers or anyone else they want to divert the blame on, it's the Tories themselves and the fools who believe all the lies and propaganda.
Question now is where and how will it end.

Certainly not until there is someone who is strong charismatic leader to oppose them and not a weak, complicit waste of space.
That's right the Tories are all 'out of step'... would you believe it?

Maticmaker

I never understand you.
Sorry, for any confusion my attempts at irony don't always translate well.

I was trying to point out to Paul (the Wolf) that his description amounts to the Tories having a massive inbuilt majority, hence just maybe its everyone else who is 'out of step'... so to speak!

Its an eternal problem for all minorities, to their way of thinking everyone else is wrong except them...it will always be so because 'the silent majority' does exist, its not a fictional ploy.

Having a majority does not mean your views are right, but then again neither does being in a minority guarantee you are virtuous/or hold the higher ground.

In politics, as in life generally the majority view (right or wrong) is the one that prevails* .

(* thankfully that has just been confirmed (in football) by the majority opposition to the proposed Super League)

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
If life gives you just 60p for the kilo of hake, then make poke of it.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Unicorns dropping form the sky, which wasn't going to help them either.
To a Yank with no skin in this game, I’m just baffled at how anyone who has any business interaction with Europe would think that anything good in the short term would come from potentially cutting off or massively amending most business interaction with Europe.

It’s astonishing that any business person would think that.

That’s why it seems that it was mostly -isms that were the ultimate driver of this lunacy & made people act against their best & obvious interests.

Paul the Wolf

What were those in this industry who voted for Brexit expecting to happen?

It's not just this industry, it's just about every industry, they have been sold a fantasy that makes Britain great again and takes them back to the heady days of the empire with the whole world falling at their feet giving in to their every whim.

To brainwash millions of people like this is some achievement when just a short period of reflection should have given a hint to people of even moderate intelligence that it was just a fantasy.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
It's not just this industry, it's just about every industry, they have been sold a fantasy that makes Britain great again and takes them back to the heady days of the empire with the whole world falling at their feet giving in to their every whim.

To brainwash millions of people like this is some achievement when just a short period of reflection should have given a hint to people of even moderate intelligence that it was just a fantasy.
Oh, no doubt. I was referring to this industry as it was specifically mentioned in the article.

I could be completely off base here, but it seems that the negative -isms scared the mentally deficient into falling in line. It seems the exact same mental deficiency was tapped into in this country in 2015/6 & that’s what elected Trump, some fantasmagorical populist message that had no foundation in reality & didn’t improve any broad swath of the populace’s life by any appreciable measure. It was the negative -isms that we’re tapped into to make this happen.

Thank god we didn’t self inflict a Brexit-style wound through the mental deficiency. No telling what would have happened if there was the possibility of doing so.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
To a Yank with no skin in this game, I’m just baffled at how anyone who has any business interaction with Europe would think that anything good in the short term would come from potentially cutting off or massively amending most business interaction with Europe.

It’s astonishing that any business person would think that.

That’s why it seems that it was mostly -isms that were the ultimate driver of this lunacy & made people act against their best & obvious interests.
One of the key points that you probably need to understand is that for decades the UK has been told that they are the ones buying from the continent and that the EU needs them. There has been little talks about what the UK sells to the EU and whether they could still sell it if it becomes more expensive. In this thread I said several times that one thing the UK needs to be careful about is the fact that there is nothing that the UK produces that isn't produced on the continent, not even financial services, earlier this year Amsterdam traded a larger volume than London did, so even their most important asset isn't safe.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
One of the key points that you probably need to understand is that for decades the UK has been told that they are the ones buying from the continent and that the EU needs them. There has been little talks about what the UK sells to the EU and whether they could still sell it if it becomes more expensive. In this thread I said several times that one thing the UK needs to be careful about is the fact that there is nothing that the UK produces that isn't produced on the continent, not even financial services, earlier this year Amsterdam traded a larger volume than London did, so even their most important asset isn't safe.
That’s astonishing that such a sentiment existed. What a fairytale that was spun.

It smacks of believing in a religion blindly.

Paul the Wolf

Oh, no doubt. I was referring to this industry as it was specifically mentioned in the article.

I could be completely off base here, but it seems that the negative -isms scared the mentally deficient into falling in line. It seems the exact same mental deficiency was tapped into in this country in 2015/6 & that’s what elected Trump, some fantasmagorical populist message that had no foundation in reality & didn’t improve any broad swath of the populace’s life by any appreciable measure. It was the negative -isms that we’re tapped into to make this happen.

Thank god we didn’t self inflict a Brexit-style wound through the mental deficiency. No telling what would have happened if there was the possibility of doing so.
Anyone who knew how the fishing industry worked, especially people who made their living at it must have known what would happen, seafood processing plants are in the EU, how do they get them there?
Under Uk laws they were not even allowed to sell their own seafood in the UK because it hadn't been processed due to the water quality. I believe I read that the UK has recently unilaterally upgraded the quality of its seawater.

It's not just people who one would consider stupid, successful intelligent people were convinced, they just knew which buttons to press to convince them beyond all rationale.
Even now many people still believe in the fantasy, it's almost like a weird cult.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Anyone who knew how the fishing industry worked, especially people who made their living at it must have known what would happen, seafood processing plants are in the EU, how do they get them there?
Under Uk laws they were not even allowed to sell their own seafood in the UK because it hadn't been processed due to the water quality. I believe I read that the UK has recently unilaterally upgraded the quality of its seawater.

It's not just people who one would consider stupid, successful intelligent people were convinced, they just knew which buttons to press to convince them beyond all rationale.
Even now many people still believe in the fantasy, it's almost like a weird cult.
It’s a quasi-religion. People see benefit to it, but not the negatives.

It smacks of the delusion of Qanon, which is also a new quasi-religion.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
It’s a quasi-religion. People see benefit to it, but not the negatives.

It smacks of the delusion of Qanon, which is also a new quasi-religion.
Yep.
Delusion is a very good description.
But in my mind, the delusion existed well before the actual vote.
There was a constant drip drip of lies and negative statements, both in the press and from senior politicians.
And as a result, the lies and false propaganda and downright ignorance of the subject fell on open ears and closed minds.
But as I keep saying, what is done is done.
History is history.
All we can do is to make the best of the utter stupidity and move forward.
Hopefully the post pandemic spirit may offset some of the damage.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Yep.
Delusion is a very good description.
But in my mind, the delusion existed well before the actual vote.
There was a constant drip drip of lies and negative statements, both in the press and from senior politicians.
And as a result, the lies and false propaganda and downright ignorance of the subject fell on open ears and closed minds.
But as I keep saying, what is done is done.
History is history.
All we can do is to make the best of the utter stupidity and move forward.
Hopefully the post pandemic spirit may offset some of the damage.
To my mind, that weird attitude towards the EU has existed forever. Or at least, pretty much as long I've followed the news from the Netherlands (since somewhere around 1990 I suppose), the UK has been a reluctant partner, and an obstacle rather than a constructive member. (As a general observation; I'm sure there have been exceptions to that.) I imagine that has always been accompanied by discussions in the UK that focused on the negatives of the EU, at least from one side of the political spectrum.