Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
I know quite a lot of Brits around this area . Some didn't realise what the effect would be, some are heartbroken they have to return back to the UK; those that were more savvy did the necessary. People can live here if they do the necessary and meet the requirements. Many Brits don't speak french and those that do speak some struggle because they don't know enough.

Those that have coped found the system is quite easy and cheap if you know what you're doing and have a good command of french.

The Uk will have a lot of older people to look after.
I always wonder how many of these people voted for Brexit too. For those that didn't it's tragic to have their retirement trashed for nothing.

So these British enclaves in France will become ghost towns or will locals gradually move back, given they're nice period houses, rather than oversupplied newbuilds like in Marbella in 2007-08?

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
People I'm talking about are not second home owners, there are some of them but that's a completely different set of people who come for holidays now and again, I'm talking about people who live here, or did live here, it's not wealthy people or tax avoiders just normal people who can't live here any more. There are many reasons, they haven't done the right paperwork they can't speak french sufficiently well, can't pay their way, it's a much larger group than the secondary home owners.
I mean it's pretty difficult to feel sympathy for people who find them self in that situation... if they have not done the paperwork then their fault... if they can't speak the language then their fault and if they can't support themselves that's a shame but it's not down on another government to support them

I have a second home in Spain and perhaps that skews my view but the only people I know are people who despite knowing the process to stay properly chose not to as " the spanish won't dare get rid of us brits... they need our money and I'm not registering with them as they will come after me for taxes"... 99% of people it's either their second home or they registered properly... that small % of idiots I have no sympathy for... ref did they vote for brexit pretty sure the ones I know didn't as they couldn't be bothered because it wasn't going to make a difference... these Spanish need our money... I have no sympathy for them at all but it is a very very tiny percentage I'm my experience

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
What’s the basic problem for those Brits - do you have to show you can pay your way including private health insurance that no doubt costs a fortune at that age?
You have to be able to pay your way, normally you would have complimentary health insurance, have they been contributing to the french system while they've lived here. Pensions have gone down in value since the pound collapsed. some do not know what to do, some have been told to do things by other Brits who don't know what they're doing.

People who had been living here for years suddenly had their lives turned upside down by the referendum vote.

Paul the Wolf

I always wonder how many of these people voted for Brexit too. For those that didn't it's tragic to have their retirement trashed for nothing.

So these British enclaves in France will become ghost towns or will locals gradually move back, given they're nice period houses, rather than oversupplied newbuilds like in Marbella in 2007-08?
The villages were not entirely taken over by Brits but certain villages had a high proportion of Brits, they seem to gather together. I don't know anyone here who voted for Brexit and those I do know would have a serious problem with anyone they found out was a Brexiter.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I saw this yesterday in the Tel. Despite the fact it's shattered the dreams of a swathe of their readership, it's very dispassionately written and doesn't criticise Brexit.

Why the expat retirement dream could be gone forever
Sun-seeking pensioners no longer have the same rights following Brexit

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/pensions-retirement/news/expat-retirement-dream-could-gone-forever/
who would have believed that the end of freedom of movement would work both ways?

Paul the Wolf

I mean it's pretty difficult to feel sympathy for people who find them self in that situation... if they have not done the paperwork then their fault... if they can't speak the language then their fault and if they can't support themselves that's a shame but it's not down on another government to support them

I have a second home in Spain and perhaps that skews my view but the only people I know are people who despite knowing the process to stay properly chose not to as " the spanish won't dare get rid of us brits... they need our money and I'm not registering with them as they will come after me for taxes"... 99% of people it's either their second home or they registered properly... that small % of idiots I have no sympathy for... ref did they vote for brexit pretty sure the ones I know didn't as they couldn't be bothered because it wasn't going to make a difference... these Spanish need our money... I have no sympathy for them at all but it is a very very tiny percentage I'm my experience
But they were causing nobody any harm, just living their lives ,I agree they should make efforts to learn the language but many had enough just to get by.
Where I live a french friend of mine who used to be a teacher and I met regularly groups of Brits and between us we'd give them french lessons and read french literature together, for free, and help with administration problems but that was just in our local area.

It's more the younger ones who were pre-retirement who had planned their lives and had it taken away before they could comply with the requirements who I feel more sorry for.

Those who have second homes we haven't seen for ages because of Covid.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
The villages were not entirely taken over by Brits but certain villages had a high proportion of Brits, they seem to gather together. I don't know anyone here who voted for Brexit and those I do know would have a serious problem with anyone they found out was a Brexiter.
Wouldn't we all.
You may be aware that there are a number of TV programmes here in the UK such as New Life In The Sun or similar.
And despite the high number buying properly in Spain, a fair number have bought in France. The big attractions being the lovely country and lifestyle as well as the fantastic value for money of those properties. Very tempting I have to admit.
These programmes have been running for many years.
As I understand it, unless they have become French or Spanish citizens for example, they can now only stay for up to 90 days at a time.
A close friend of mine decided to sell his place in southern Spain prior to Brexit. He tells me that he got out just before the sell off and the price has dropped by over 25%.
Safe to say he did not vote to leave and was a big advocate of the EU. There are some...

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Wouldn't we all.
You may be aware that there are a number of TV programmes here in the UK such as New Life In The Sun or similar.
And despite the high number buying properly in Spain, a fair number have bought in France. The big attractions being the lovely country and lifestyle as well as the fantastic value for money of those properties. Very tempting I have to admit.
As I understand it, unless they have become French or Spanish citizens for example, they can now only stay for up to 90 days at a time.
A close friend of mine decided to sell his place in southern Spain prior to Brexit. He tells me that he got out just before the sell off and the price has dropped by over 25%.
Safe to say he did not vote to leave and was a big advocate of the EU. There are some...
Residents, you don't need to be a citizen.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
There's a big French population where I live in London, I guess people do gather together.
I can't begin to imagine how annoyed I'd be to have my life wrecked by say people have always and will always live in Hull.
I guess people making zero effort with the language didn't help themselves.

who would have believed that the end of freedom of movement would work both ways?
They need our money innit.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
The elderly Brits in Europe were getting free healthcare via the S1 form (for people who are already receiving their British state pension). I think there has been some extension of that scheme for those already in receipt, but I don't know how long that will continue. If you're not getting free healthcare, you need to pay into the healthcare system of the European country you're living in (or get private insurance, which is ridiculously expensive if you have pre-existing health conditions and/or need regular medication).

In Italy, if you want to pay into the Italian system you have to be an Italian resident. To be a resident, you have to be able to demonstrate you can support yourself, but then you also have to pay tax in Italy on your worldwide assets. After 5 years, you can claim permanent residency and don't have to pay for healthcare, which will be a big help for us as it's costing us close to €3000 a year for our health cards.However, you can see how some people simply couldn't afford to do it.

Basically, if you want to live in another European country now rather than just visit occasionally, you have to be prepared to pay your way.

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Do French people like to buy older 'character' properties? In Italy most Italians buy modern super efficient heating and insulation earthquake proof generational houses. or build them as young couples. Outsiders such as ourselves and Germans plus others buy the empty older properties. We wouldn't be so welcome if we started pricing locals out of their properties.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Do French people like to buy older 'character' properties? In Italy most Italians buy modern super efficient heating and insulation earthquake proof generational houses. or build them as young couples. Outsiders such as ourselves and Germans plus others buy the empty older properties. We wouldn't be so welcome if we started pricing locals out of their properties.
The main issue is that these properties are often far from jobs and sometimes from schools(middle schools and highschools) which make them less attractive.

Paul the Wolf

Wouldn't we all.
Yes they had those programmes when I lived in the UK many moons ago. Some have become citizens , some want to stay jst British but if you comply with the requirements it's not necessary to change nationalities.
One big problem was the sort of disbelief of people who actually were pretty clued up on things and could speak a reasonable amount of french or even good french who couldn't get their head around their rights being taken away that they had taken for granted for many years. I must have said dozens of times, I know it's crazy but you have to do this or that to protect yourselves.

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
The main issue is that these properties are often far from jobs and sometimes from schools(middle schools and highschools) which make them less attractive.
I think it's a bit different here although I think a fair few men drive up North un Sunday nights to work for the week and return on Friday nights to see their families. I think it's very different in the South where whole villages are nearly empty. The average age even here is getting higher and higher but the old walled centre of the commune is still mostly occupied with families building new houses outside the walls.

Paul the Wolf

In rural areas older french people don't tend to move houses much. The younger ones would tend to buy a newer property or buy some land and construct a new house. the outsiders as you say are the ones who tend to buy the old properties and renovate them. When the Brits and others flooded the rural market say twenty years ago the prices shot up. Houses in towns are expensive but rural properties miles from facilities will fall in value but there are still plenty of Dutch and Belgians buying old rural properties.

devilish

But they were causing nobody any harm, just living their lives ,I agree they should make efforts to learn the language but many had enough just to get by.
Where I live a french friend of mine who used to be a teacher and I met regularly groups of Brits and between us we'd give them french lessons and read french literature together, for free, and help with administration problems but that was just in our local area.

It's more the younger ones who were pre-retirement who had planned their lives and had it taken away before they could comply with the requirements who I feel more sorry for.

Those who have second homes we haven't seen for ages because of Covid.
if they refused to register because they might 'get to their money' then they are potential tax evaders right?

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
the outsiders as you say are the ones who tend to buy the old properties and renovate them.
Which consequently here we could only really sell them to the Germans and Dutch - the people who haven't lost their rights to come and go freely without having to take Residency. Brits would lose a lot on their 'investment' I would have to guess.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Yes they had those programmes when I lived in the UK many moons ago. Some have become citizens , some want to stay jst British but if you comply with the requirements it's not necessary to change nationalities.
One big problem was the sort of disbelief of people who actually were pretty clued up on things and could speak a reasonable amount of french or even good french who couldn't get their head around their rights being taken away that they had taken for granted for many years. I must have said dozens of times, I know it's crazy but you have to do this or that to protect yourselves.
Exactly. As you say, so many people took their 'rights' for granted. And free movement of people was certainly one of them.
Ok. It might not affect the majority. But it was a very fundamental right and I do hope that some who voted to leave are now being adversely affected.

devilish

People I'm talking about are not second home owners, there are some of them but that's a completely different set of people who come for holidays now and again, I'm talking about people who live here, or did live here, it's not wealthy people or tax avoiders just normal people who can't live here any more. There are many reasons, they haven't done the right paperwork they can't speak french sufficiently well, can't pay their way, it's a much larger group than the secondary home owners.
The UK chose to tighten their borders on one side which in turn lead to the other side doing the same. Many EU citizens left the UK because they were afraid for their future or didn't felt welcome anymore. Most won't look kindly at their own country if they roll the red carpet to the same people who voted them out of their adopted home.

Paul the Wolf

if they refused to register because they might 'get to their money' then they are potential tax evaders right?
They are registered and would be paying into the french system for at least part of their expenses, e.g; the equivalent of council tax in the UK or services, some were using the reciprocal health system which will stop soon. It's very difficult to remain anonymous in France especially in a rural area.

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Before they just paid tax in the UK and had free healthcare under the EHIC arrangement. With taking residency they have to pay tax at the host country rate on anything over the UK rate plus pay in to the host country's health care system for 5 years until they become full residents. That can be several thousands of £. Not everyone can afford the increases.

Paul the Wolf

The UK chose to tighten their borders on one side which in turn lead to the other side doing the same. Many EU citizens left the UK because they were afraid for their future or didn't felt welcome anymore. Most won't look kindly at their own country if they roll the red carpet to the same people who voted them out of their adopted home.
Of course, anything the UK does will be reciprocated by the EU country.

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Exactly. As you say, so many people took their 'rights' for granted. And free movement of people was certainly one of them.
Ok. It might not affect the majority. But it was a very fundamental right and I do hope that some who voted to leave are now being adversely affected.
Some who voted stay are being adversely affected.

devilish

They are registered and would be paying into the french system for at least part of their expenses, e.g; the equivalent of council tax in the UK or services, some were using the reciprocal health system which will stop soon. It's very difficult to remain anonymous in France especially in a rural area.
Part of the expenses doesn't really cut it. Why should an EU country pick up the rest of the tab especially considering how hostile the UK had been towards the EU particularly against the French?

devilish

Before they just paid tax in the UK and had free healthcare under the EHIC arrangement. With taking residency they have to pay tax at the host country rate on anything over the UK rate plus pay in to the host country's health care system for 5 years until they become full residents. That can be several thousands of £. Not everyone can afford the increases.
Well that's something these migrants should put forward to their MPs the very next day they are forced back home. The UK wasn't kicked out of the EU. It voted itself out. Once that happened they negotiated the most distant and hostile deal possible apart from hard Brexit. If I was one of those people I would be fuming at the Tory government right now.

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Part of the expenses doesn't really cut it. Why should an EU country pick up the rest of the tab especially considering how hostile the UK had been towards the EU particularly against the French?
It's proportional, some will use the service, some won't. It hopefully evens out.

Well that's something these migrants should put forward to their MPs the very next day they are forced back home. The UK wasn't kicked out of the EU. It voted itself out. Once that happened they negotiated the most distant and hostile deal possible apart from hard Brexit. If I was one of those people I would be fuming at the Tory government right now.
Maybe that day will come, maybe most people don't want to admit they were lied to or care. The original vote was won by a small majority.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Your point is 100% valid.

But equally... Anyone in the UK who wants to remain in the EU is being led by those that voted Leave... so while sympathy for overseas EU Remainers is easy to find, it’s not worth anything. It’s like we’re being repeatedly punched in the face and then being asked to care that someone is getting rained on.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
That is democracy I am afraid.
Millions get to vote on something they know little or nothing about and on something they are unlikely to be affected by. Twas ever thus.

Paul the Wolf

Sorry, what I meant is that they're in the system if they're paying their council tax or part of their expenses such as electricity, water etc , everyone gets sent a tax form to fill in. If the Uk government have been reimbursing the french health service for their treatment. No EU country is going to pay anyone who isn't entitled to it.

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Your point is 100% valid.

But equally... Anyone in the UK who wants to remain in the EU is being led by those that voted Leave... so while sympathy for overseas EU Remainers is easy to find, it’s not worth anything. It’s like we’re being repeatedly punched in the face and then being asked to care that someone is getting rained on.
I don't think it's a question of sympathy, shit happens and we had it fairly good for a good while. The UK seems insistent on heading down a dark wormhole with no known destination but perhaps we'll all be pleasantly surprised that Boris actually knew all of the time exactly what he was doing and it would have a positive outcome. Or perhaps it was just about making his friends even richer. I have some empathy for those whose lives have been turned upside down and are going to suffer for it.

That is democracy I am afraid.
Millions get to vote on something they know little or nothing about and on something they are unlikely to be affected by. Twas ever thus.
Yes, I appreciate the first past the post version of democracy. We'll reap what we sow. With Priti Patel shitting on EU visitors I wouldn't blame other EU citizens wanting to reciprocate.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
I don't think it's a question of sympathy, shit happens and we had it fairly good for a good while. The UK seems insistent on heading down a dark wormhole with no known destination but perhaps we'll all be pleasantly surprised that Boris actually knew all of the time exactly what he was doing and it would have a positive outcome. Or perhaps it was just about making his friends even richer. I have some empathy for those whose lives have been turned upside down and are going to suffer for it.
Yep, I was agreeing with you wholeheartedly. Just adding context as to why many will just shorthand “This is what you asked for”, as that’s all WE hear. It’s lazy. Most that voted Remain have absolutely sympathy and empathy for kindred spirits overseas.

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Yep, I was agreeing with you wholeheartedly. Just adding context as to why many will just shorthand “This is what you asked for”, as that’s all WE hear. It’s lazy. Most that voted Remain have absolutely sympathy and empathy for kindred spirits overseas.
I appreciate that, I was just saying that I'm not looking for sympathy, as a country we've made our bed. With the recent election it's worrying that despite it being plain that our leaders are corrupt as the day is long, that the majority (first past the post) want to bury their heads and deny that thet can see what they've fallen for.

UK ex-pats (mostly apart from some duffers) love Europe, love being a part of it, are open to new cultures and people. It's a shame but before we're through I have a feeling we're in for some very bad times as a country.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
It's in both parties' interests. The only people who will potentially lose out are inefficient Aussie or British farmers that want to stymy competition.
That is so shortsighted. You risk to decimate your local food supply chain. Do that and if a war starts and you depend on food imports and you are fecked. The times that you can raid the indian granaries killing millions of indians are long gone

Protectionism in food products are to maintain a sustainable national industry for survival

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
That is so shortsighted. You risk to decimate your local food supply chain. Do that and if a war starts and you depend on food imports and you are fecked. The times that you can raid the indian granaries killing millions of indians are long gone

Protectionism in food products are to maintain a sustainable national industry for survival
...or a pandemic that really messes up global supply chains. Far-fetched, I know.

Also, it'd be interesting to learn exactly why Australia can produce meat so much more cheaply. Free-trade agreements tend to contribute to race-to-the-bottom dynamics, which is definitely not a positive aspect of them.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Also, it'd be interesting to learn exactly why Australia can produce meat so much more cheaply.
Mainly massive economies of scale and outdoor rearing mainly. Cattle are raised outdoors with very low supervision on huge farms. The biggest being considerably bigger than Wales and 100,000 sq kms not unusual. They just adjust the density of stock to the quality of the pasture and let them roam most of the time.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
So Brexit has been an even bigger cluster feck than expected with zero discernible benefit (apart from to Australia) so far. Who could have known?

Green_Red

Mainly massive economies of scale and outdoor rearing mainly. Cattle are raised outdoors with very low supervision on huge farms. The biggest being considerably bigger than Wales and 100,000 sq kms not unusual. They just adjust the density of stock to the quality of the pasture and let them roam most of the time.
That and the fact your main export partner is no longer accepting imports from Australia, which is driving the price of Australian beef down.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12-09/china-bans-cost-meat-industry-hundreds-of-millions/12961538

I don't think we'll see an FTA with Australia. The agri sector here in the UK aren't happy about it.

I've lived in both countries and can say for certain that beef products are cheaper in the UK. A sirloin steak from Coles is more expensive than its equivalent in Tesco.

Also, grass fed beef products are a luxury in Australia and you pay more for it. Gippsland beef, for example, is considered a premium beef product because they are mostly grass fed. Grain fed is the norm, which is more fatty in quality when compared to leaner grass fed beef, which is more the norm here in the UK. So really, in the UK we pay less for a better product...

Last edited:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
That and the fact your main export partner is no longer accepting imports from Australia, which is driving the price of Australian beef down.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12-09/china-bans-cost-meat-industry-hundreds-of-millions/12961538

I don't think we'll see an FTA with Australia. The agri sector here in the UK aren't happy about it.

I've lived in both countries and can say for certain that beef products are cheaper in the UK. A sirloin steak from Coles is more expensive than its equivalent in Tesco.

Also, grass fed beef products are a luxury in Australia and you pay more for it. Gippsland beef, for example, is considered a premium beef product because they are mostly grass fed. Grain fed is the norm, which is more fatty in quality when compared to leaner grass fed beef, which is more the norm here in the UK. So really, in the UK we pay less for a better product...
We overpay in our supermarkets for sure and the quality is terrible. You get much better meat for the same price at the butchers and if you want to pay more you can get stunning stuff, wagyu, grain fed, grass fed, dry aged, whatever you want. Like for almost everything here. But export prices are way lower than the UK product for an equivalent or better product apparently. When home I find supermarket meat, beef in particular, very bland, even more so than Coles meat.

And our government have brought their usual level of incompetence to our dealings with China which is currently costing us a 25-30% reduction in meat trade with China. So a new market will be very welcome. We gain money and Boris says he is getting business done before breaking into a new verse of Rule Britannia.

finneh

The UK market isn't going to be decimated by a competitor who has costs to export their product 10,000 miles, along with a higher minimum wage and similar standards. UK farmers will have a bit more competition and UK consumers will likely get a bit better price and/or a wider selection of products. It's clearly a win-win however much people wish it wasn't.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
The UK market isn't going to be decimated by a competitor who has costs to export their product 10,000 miles, along with a higher minimum wage and similar standards. UK farmers will have a bit more competition and UK consumers will likely get a bit better price and/or a wider selection of products. It's clearly a win-win however much people wish it wasn't.
I wonder what the cost of farm land in Australia is compared to the UK?

I wonder if Australian meat being imported to the UK will be subject to the same regulations and overheads British meat will be subject to if British farmers also need to export a percentage of their meat to the EU?