Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
I'm sure Frostie knows exactly what he's doing.

Brexit: UK's NI Protocol demands 'could break relations'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-58861544
They have no intention of ever agreeing and never have done. They only agreed the trade deal on Xmas Eve last year in a panic.
Northern Ireland, being in the EU single market can't be seen as the place where they could be spared the trouble of the rest of the UK.
Frost's negotiating tactics since he came on the scene has been to be as obnoxious as possible, then to soften up and each time so far he has backed down.
Will he back down this time? For the UK's sake you would hope he does.

Playing the victim only convinces the rabid Brexiteers, no-one else.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Talk that all the shit they're pulling could lead to a trade war. Setting aside how monumentally fecked the UK would be as a result, it would also feed directly into the Tory line that the EU are the enemies causing all the issues. I'm starting to think it might be their plan.

Last edited:

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I bet she would but why does Turkey have to be a mandatory dinner? I did have Turkey Shoarma a few weeks back and it was ace
Last few years we’ve ordered our favorite takeaway, so Christmas dinner has been Indian. Saves us cooking for hours. We’ve felt like a weight lifted off us

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Talk that all the shit they're pulling could lead to a trade war. Setting aside how monumentally fecked the UK would be as a result, it would also feed directly into the Tory line that the EU are the enemies causing all the issues. I'm starting to think it might be their plan.
From what I've read, the EU are preparing for one. It was an article from a few weeks ago, but it said that the EU have not really brought up consequences against UK actions, and they're done with being the softies and the UK playing with that. So they're building internal consensus on a large package of trade measures to be deployed if the UK would really do the things they're talking about - which would indeed be a trade war. If that really happens as the article discussed, the UK would be in trouble. (Sorry for being vague on details, it's been a few weeks since I read that.)

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
They have no intention of ever agreeing and never have done. They only agreed the trade deal on Xmas Eve last year in a panic.
Northern Ireland, being in the EU single market can't be seen as the place where they could be spared the trouble of the rest of the UK.
Frost's negotiating tactics since he came on the scene has been to be as obnoxious as possible, then to soften up and each time so far he has backed down.
Will he back down this time? For the UK's sake you would hope he does.

Playing the victim only convinces the rabid Brexiteers, no-one else.
They are using the unionist parties in NI and the whole protocol situation as a token stick to beat the EU with to divert from how horrible Brexit has been. As per usual the unionists in NI are falling for their shit.

FireballXL5

Racism and xenophobia were the prime movers behind Brexit. Don't be too surprised when these thick wankers refuse to own a disaster of their own making.

'It's the meedja innit'.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
fecking morons. Utter fecking cretins.

Why the feck should intelligent, hard working people have to live through the pointless, miserable idiotic garbage that these twats have created for everyone, while they’re not even acknowledging what they’ve done.

The irony is that media has been fecking GENTLE on the government regarding Brexit!

Own your shit, you fecking idiots.

These people are insane. I hope and pray that the younger generations understand what Brexit has done to the country.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
Own your shit, you fecking idiots.
That's not something reactionaries do. In fact, they'd rather die than admitting a mistake. Your government of course knows that, and with the help of Murdoch Media and the Tory mouthpieces from the BBC they can pull the wool over the eyes of these fools with ease. Add in a so-called opposition leader who doesn't seem all that interested in getting his party into power, and you end up with a nigh perfect dystopia called the "UK". Crazy to think it happened in Orwell's homeland of all countries.
I also don't see that changing anytime soon, sadly. It's really a viciously well set up system, that probably requires a full fledged revolution to get rid.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
That's not something reactionaries do. In fact, they'd rather die than admitting a mistake. Your government of course knows that, and with the help of Murdoch Media and the Tory mouthpieces from the BBC they can pull the wool over the eyes of these fools with ease. Add in a so-called opposition leader who doesn't seem all that interested in getting his party into power, and you end up with a nigh perfect dystopia called the "UK". Crazy to think it happened in Orwell's homeland of all countries.
I also don't see that changing anytime soon, sadly. It's really a viciously well set up system, that probably requires a full fledged revolution to get rid.
I completely agree, sadly.

But they’re not ‘my government’, they’re the enemy of this country, and history will remember them as a traitorous cabinet.

I’m sure there’ll be many revelations about the ins and outs of their doings…

Of course, not until they’re all long retired or dead.

Offsideagain

I was sent a cartoon the other day of a little girl holding a hammer and a small tv set with the screen smashed. The caption read ‘Petrol shortage solved’. That for me says it all. If we didn’t have a pro-Brexit media and an anti-Brexit media reporting all this stuff, we would be way ahead and prospering despite Covid. The media made petrol shortage began with a small article in a paper that Esso had temporarily closed 5 petrol stations due to a lack of drivers. Within two days the country went mad. The Government should be getting on with fixing the economy and the roads, getting kids back to school and sorting the NHS rather than battling the media everyday.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I was sent a cartoon the other day of a little girl holding a hammer and a small tv set with the screen smashed. The caption read ‘Petrol shortage solved’. That for me says it all. If we didn’t have a pro-Brexit media and an anti-Brexit media reporting all this stuff, we would be way ahead and prospering despite Covid. The media made petrol shortage began with a small article in a paper that Esso had temporarily closed 5 petrol stations due to a lack of drivers. Within two days the country went mad. The Government should be getting on with fixing the economy and the roads, getting kids back to school and sorting the NHS rather than battling the media everyday.
Do you really believe it’s a purely media problem? The shortage started around the 26th of September, over two weeks ago and is still ongoing in some areas. If people panic bought initially then many of those people will still be sitting on full tanks and Jerry cans and yet some stations are still waiting on supply to meet demand.

How does that work? Are people still buying over 100% of what they usually require? Where are they keeping it if they are?

F-Red

Do you really believe it’s a purely media problem? The shortage started around the 26th of September, over two weeks ago and is still ongoing in some areas. If people panic bought initially then many of those people will still be sitting on full tanks and Jerry cans and yet some stations are still waiting on supply to meet demand.

How does that work? Are people still buying over 100% of what they usually require? Where are they keeping it if they are?
Yes. We had bigger drops in supply earlier in the year in comparison to what we saw over the last few weeks.

As more people became aware of the 'shortage', panic-buying of fuel increased rapidly. All down to the media on this one.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Yes the media sure was dumb sending all those European HGV drivers packing and not planning properly to replace them. The media also dropped the ball making our bodies really difficult to navigate for trade and goods from the EU, leading some hauliers to ditch trips to the UK.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Yes. We had bigger drops in supply earlier in the year in comparison to what we saw over the last few weeks.

As more people became aware of the 'shortage', panic-buying of fuel increased rapidly. All down to the media on this one.

I said “purely”. I know demand increased, my point is that how has that demand sustained for over three weeks? That would require people to actually be using all the fuel they have hoarded and then go back for more, no?

F-Red

I said “purely”. I know demand increased, my point is that how has that demand sustained for over three weeks? That would require people to actually be using all the fuel they have hoarded and then go back for more, no?
Well not everyone is using jerry cans every time they fill up, but I can go through a tank in a week. Usage is still happening, therefore it needs an oversupply to catch up with the initial spike in demand from the start of the three weeks. That can take quite a while until you're back at an even level of supply and demand.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Racism and xenophobia were the prime movers behind Brexit. Don't be too surprised when these thick wankers refuse to own a disaster of their own making.

'It's the meedja innit'.
Was there really any other motivations besides racism & xenophobia? Sure doesn't seem so to this Yank.

Paul the Wolf

It didn't just happen on the 25th/26th, the levels in filling stations were already lower than they should be before that and the panic tipped it over the edge. The same reason EU countries have vast reserves of gas whereas the UK don't so any minor crisis tips the balance whereas in the EU are prepared an can rely on their neighbours if there are shortages.

You also get the nonsense about the HGV drivers not passing their tests, maybe that's true but the UK wasn't the only country with Covid.
Also the pass rate in about 58% so you could expect 25000 more drivers possibly but there are supposedly up to 2000 leaving the profession every week. Simple maths.

Not forgetting the cabotage which has now almost stopped and this is a vital cog in UK logistics virtually wiped out by Brexit.

When it happens again wonder who's going to be blamed this time.

F-Red

It didn't just happen on the 25th/26th, the levels in filling stations were already lower than they should be before that and the panic tipped it over the edge.
Which data are you pulling that view from? Before the impact of panic buying, it looks relatively average in terms of stock levels. Petrol stations are only ever at 40-50% capacity in the UK.

Paul the Wolf

Which data are you pulling that view from? Before the impact of panic buying, it looks relatively average in terms of stock levels. Petrol stations are only ever at 40-50% capacity in the UK.

I saw a chart a couple of weeks ago showing the regions of the UK, and the ones having the lowest stocks were in the south of England. Wish I had kept it now.
Obviously panic buying tipped it over the edge but why is there only panic buying in the UK? Do gullible people only believe what's in the press; we know the answer, we found that out over five years ago.

It will happen again.

Peter van der Gea

Likes Pineapple on well done Steak
Are they not supposed to report the news?

F-Red

I saw a chart a couple of weeks ago showing the regions of the UK, and the ones having the lowest stocks were in the south of England. Wish I had kept it now.
Obviously panic buying tipped it over the edge but why is there only panic buying in the UK? Do gullible people only believe what's in the press; we know the answer, we found that out over five years ago.

It will happen again.
You're heading off down a different path here, but panic buying has happened before on fuel in the UK, it's not a new phenomenon. It'll happen again for sure. Panic buying in this case happened due to the media coverage, nothing else. The gap between supply & demand in both January 2021 and late April/May 2021 were far bigger than what we saw in September until the media coverage kicked in, which drove the significant demand. Based on the data that's there, there's little else that would suggest it's down to anything other than something skewing/driving the average demand, ie. the media.

Paul the Wolf

You're heading off down a different path here, but panic buying has happened before on fuel in the UK, it's not a new phenomenon. It'll happen again for sure. Panic buying in this case happened due to the media coverage, nothing else. The gap between supply & demand in both January 2021 and late April/May 2021 were far bigger than what we saw in September until the media coverage kicked in, which drove the significant demand. Based on the data that's there, there's little else that would suggest it's down to anything other than something skewing/driving the average demand, ie. the media.
So as the number of HGV and tankers drivers continue to diminish whether or not HGV tests are back to normal or not and gets worse next year because of Brexit these shortages will become more and more regular, with or without the media.
The question remains why is it only in the UK.

Peter van der Gea

Likes Pineapple on well done Steak
That wasn't news though, there was bigger supply 'shortages' at two other points during 2021 that would warrant coverage. Neither were reported, and panic buying didn't happen. Go figure.
Surely that would depend on what other news was on and how much news space there was?

Paul the Wolf

• The Brexit minister Lord Frost argued for a rethink of the Northern Ireland protocol. In a speech in Portugal, he said the deal his government sought, signed up to and then trumpeted loudly was unacceptable and unworkable. He said it would, therefore, be imprudent of the EU to try to enforce it.
  • Frost was accused of lacking maturity by Labour. “Instead of approaching the occasion with maturity and in the spirit of cooperation, Lord Frost has effectively asked to rip up the agreement he negotiated – and the prime minister signed – just two years ago,” his opposite number Baroness Jenny Chapman said.

Who would have thought at the time that David Davis was the at the pinnacle of UK Brexit Negotiators, all downhill ever since.

TheGame

• The Brexit minister Lord Frost argued for a rethink of the Northern Ireland protocol. In a speech in Portugal, he said the deal his government sought, signed up to and then trumpeted loudly was unacceptable and unworkable. He said it would, therefore, be imprudent of the EU to try to enforce it.
  • Frost was accused of lacking maturity by Labour. “Instead of approaching the occasion with maturity and in the spirit of cooperation, Lord Frost has effectively asked to rip up the agreement he negotiated – and the prime minister signed – just two years ago,” his opposite number Baroness Jenny Chapman said.

Who would have thought at the time that David Davis was the at the pinnacle of UK Brexit Negotiators, all downhill ever since.
Brexiteers were hot on moaning about unelected bureaucrats in the EU however they seem awfully quiet when this unelected idiot signs a deal then goes back on it months later. I mean shambles doesn't do it justice. This is an absolute shitshow across the board by this Government and morons in this country are letting them get away with it. I've never felt angrier at the state of politics in this country.

Maticmaker

That would require people to actually be using all the fuel they have hoarded and then go back for more, no?
Yes, just like they actually used all the bog-rolls which disappeared off supermarket shelves when rumours of a lockdown started.
More likely they were selling it in jerry cans off the back of a lorry..(not HGV though) ;)