Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Just unbelievable. I hope all those UK farmers voted Brexit otherwise it’s just cruel.
Yes. And not to mention all those who voted for Brexit who will no doubt stuff loads of French or Polish turkey down their throats while singing Rule Britannia...

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Yes. And not to mention all those who voted for Brexit who will no doubt stuff loads of French or Polish turkey down their throats while singing Rule Britannia...
Yep. Although it has to be said, people who sing Rule Britannia at Christmas have always been weirdos.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Is there a single EU member state in such dire straights though with regards to HGV shortages? Or are we taking ”issues” vs. clusterfeck?
None of the sort in the Netherlands. Obviously there’s a shortage of low skilled workers as there is in any modern functioning economy, but it’s solved by the freedom of movement in the EU as well as other things.

None of the sort in the Netherlands. Obviously there’s a shortage of low skilled workers as there is in any modern functioning economy, but it’s solved by the freedom of movement in the EU as well as other things.
I gotta say, I’m surprised Stan gave a politician’s answer to a straight forward yes or no question. The UK could end up in tatters and he’ll still be claiming the EU is bad and Brexit a good idea.

Rams

Yeah I haven’t seen any of those things either. Literally not experienced it once. Anecdotal evidence compared against headline-driven media isn’t a good way to evaluate two contrasting realities across an entire country.

Like I said it’s obvious that Brexit makes this issue worse. It was just a lazy piece of journalism to imply one led to the other. It didn’t. The pandemic didn’t create this problem. Brexit didn’t create this problem. Long-term underinvestment and mismanagement of that sector led to this problem. They just made it worse. Let’s stop giving people easy excuses for hard problems.

If we were serious about holding Brexiteers to account for making lazy links and relying on half truths leading to serious problems further down the line, we would apply the same standards to people who offer a convenient political narrative for us too.
Lack of low skilled workers isn’t caused by Brexit, nor will the EU solve that. However, stopping freedom of movement & draconian immigration rules are stopping the UK from been able to tackle as many many many posters on here warned would happen. We all knew this was going to happen and we have debated this till the juices ran dry prior to the Brexit vote.

Rams

Dude you so miss the point and are out of touch with the real world. Last week we had kpn laying fibre glass Internet cables in the street, the spoken language of the team was Arabic I'm guessing, apart from the team lead no-one spoke Dutch or English, the project lead was from Eastern Europe. Why do you think these non European workers were doing the job? How do you think they get permits?
Stan, nobody wants to do low skilled work. This has been a problem in the Western world since the 60’s. It’s why we’ve invited wave of immigrants since the 60’s and one of the main reasons the Maastricht treaty in the 90’s. The brutal truth is we need immigrants to do the work we don’t want to do.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Stan, nobody wants to do low skilled work. This has been a problem in the Western world since the 60’s. It’s why we’ve invited wave of immigrants since the 60’s and one of the main reasons the Maastricht treaty in the 90’s. The brutal truth is we need immigrants to do the work we don’t want to do.
In this case that's not even the point. The way supply chains and the logistic industry works, we are not talking about immigrants or immigration but how international transport works.

Stanley Road

Renaissance Man
i'm not disagreeing, in the case of dutch haulage firms they dont want to pay immigrants local wages which is now the law. And as someone who is totally agains slave labour i am very glad, i hope they they go bust. I also hope things get much worse in the uk, if i could drive i would offer my services for 1000 quid an hour, take it or leave it.

Rams

In this case that's not even the point. The way supply chains and the logistic industry works, we are not talking about immigrants or immigration but how international transport works.
In the case of the fuel crisis in the UK it’s a case of the logistics not having enough labor to get the fuel to the petrol stations. It’s caused by a shortage of labor as direct result of Brexit and this Government’s ideology.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
In the case of the fuel crisis in the UK it’s a case of the logistics not having enough labor to get the fuel to the petrol stations. It’s caused by a shortage of labor as direct result of Brexit and this Government’s ideology.
I know what the crisis in the UK is about. The point I'm making is that Brexit accentuated a problem specifically for the UK and not so much for the rest of the EU because through Brexit the UK lost hauliers that would do cabotage, crossing the border has become less interesting, it takes more time and there has been a reduction of trade(cargo) between the EU and the UK. The drivers that the UK lost are for a large part international drivers, for example a driver that would take a cargo from Rungis to London and on the way back would make several trips within the UK. Those several trips meant that domestic drivers were hauling something else within the UK.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Brexiteers won't ever lose the faith.

MOS COMMENT: Boris's chance to prove to doubters once and for all that Brexit has set Britain on the path to success

The practical benefits of our new status, already demonstrated so brilliantly by the British vaccine triumph, must now be spread so widely that even the most determined Remainers will come to see that leaving was right, and join in the effort to make independent Britain the success it ought to be.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/...ce-prove-Brexit-set-Britain-path-success.html

WPMUFC

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I refuse to read the DM but surely they're not still going on about the vaccines which firstly was yet another lie and secondly the UK are so far behind France now (amongst others) even that makes no sense.
The DM really is such a heap of sh1t.
Full of made up stories and is the mouthpiece for the Tories.
So depressing and so desperate to keep them in power.

Rams

Brexiteers won't ever lose the faith.

MOS COMMENT: Boris's chance to prove to doubters once and for all that Brexit has set Britain on the path to success

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/...ce-prove-Brexit-set-Britain-path-success.html
Since when do the Tories give a shit about pay & working standards? This from the party who in reality are pushing for less legislation. The party that one minute increase national insurance which impacts the lowest paid the most, then claim to want to an economy of high skilled & paid work. How on earth do the Tories expect companies to compete? How on earth are they going to control inflation? And where is all this labor going to come from, no matter what the wages or working conditions will be? It’s a fraud and a farce.

Maticmaker

The most depressing thing is that this media brainwashing works and I don't see what the solution is in the short to medium term.
Yes, teaching 'the people' to read and write was the big mistake, a dangerous thing... a little knowledge (or lack thereof!!). Open to misrepresentation, fake news, that's where it all went wrong, could see Brexit coming hundreds of years ago. Like little children in polite society the minions should be "seen but not heard... if only it were so!

Incidentally, yesterday drove past 14 petrol stations on the way to OT in only one was there a queue of more than three vehicles, in most others plenty of pumps still with fuel and in three stations nobody at all on the forecourt, one person putting air in their tyres.

Hope this is what Boris means my levelling up... come north young man/woman and fill your tanks!! :)

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Yes, teaching 'the people' to read and write was the big mistake, a dangerous thing... a little knowledge (or lack thereof!!). Open to misrepresentation, fake news, that's where it all went wrong, could see Brexit coming hundreds of years ago. Like little children in polite society the minions should be "seen but not heard... if only it were so!

Incidentally, yesterday drove past 14 petrol stations on the way to OT in only one was there a queue of more than three vehicles, in most others plenty of pumps still with fuel and in three stations nobody at all on the forecourt, one person putting air in their tyres.

Hope this is what Boris means my levelling up... come north young man/woman and fill your tanks!! :)
Petrol stations with petrol in them is absolutely the big brexit benefit! :D

Maticmaker

Petrol stations with petrol in them is absolutely the big brexit benefit! :D
Certainly... North of Watford!

Boris's 'leveling up' is underway.

Those red wall voters knew what they were doing.... and don't let anyone tell you differently! :rolleyes:

Wow!!! Petrol at petrol stations :drool: Go Boris.

Paul the Wolf

No what I meant is there is no short-term or medium term solution to the insanity of Brexit. People will always believe if they haven't the ability or will to critically analyse what is put before them.
The petrol disruption is just the very small tip of the iceberg that is slowly on a collision course with Brexit fantasy.

It does appear that the problems exist more in the south than the north. Incidentally there are no shortages (of petrol or food) anywhere in EU land.
I think the world is looking on in disbelief.

Paul the Wolf

Liz Truss, the foreign secretary, told a fringe meeting that a trade deal with the US was not the “be all and end all” for the UK. She said:

I don’t agree with you that that’s the be all and end all of trade.
My message to the Americans is ‘we’re ready when you are ready’ but there’s a whole world out there, there are lots of fast-growing parts of the world who want to do business with Britain and there’s a full pipeline of trade deals we are negotiating.
Brexiters used to be very keen on a UK-US free trade deal, but recently they have acknowledged that it is not a priority for Washington.

Perhaps she could name one or two who are in the pipeline.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
https://dailybusinessgroup.co.uk/2021/09/uk-suffers-biggest-export-slump-since-brexit/

The Commons data shows the UK saw a decline in exports of -5.5% over five years, putting it behind 13 neighbouring countries: Ireland (+48.1%), Finland (+18.8%), Sweden (+15.5%), the Netherlands (+15%), Denmark (+14%), Luxembourg (+13.6%), Austria (+11.1%), Germany (+9.5%), Switzerland (+7.5%), France (+6.7%), Belgium (+6.2%), Norway (+4.8%) and Iceland (+0.8%).
When the impact of Covid-19 is taken into account, and figures compared from 2020 to date, the UK still has the worst decline in exports of any country in north west Europe at -19.3%
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1348964732104007680.html

In the first six months of this year, German imports of British goods sank nearly 11% year-on-year to 16.1 billion euros ($19.0 billion), Federal Statistics Office data reviewed by Reuters showed.

While German goods exports to Britain rose 2.6%

cyberman

:houllier::rolleyes:
Here’s the thing, the protocol is actually doing better than expected. It’s just doing too well.
The protocol is the best piece of business that the Tories done and it hurts the union. You couldn’t make it up

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
How can anyone now think that Brexit was anything other than a huge act of national self-harm?

WPMUFC

How can anyone now think that Brexit was anything other than a huge act of national self-harm?
When we saw multiple videos of people saying they don't care about X family member losing a job over Brexit and how economic pain was worth it to keep all immigrants out, that was my lightbulb moment that it was nothing more than "upsetting the remainers" and xenophobia. It was all about punching someone (politically) just for the sake of punching someone.

How much of right-wing western politics is now sold to the public as inflicting self-harm to make "X" upset? I'd say the vast majority?

Last edited:

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
When we saw multiple videos of people saying they don't care about X family member losing a job over Brexit and how economic pain was worth it to keep all immigrants out, that was my lightbulb moment that it was nothing more than "upsetting the remainers" and xenophobia. It was all about punching someone (politically) just for the sake of punching someone.

How much of right-wing western politics is now sold to the public as inflicting self-harm to make "X" upset? I'd say the vast majority?
It's like football fan culture. Insane.