Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Post-Brexit scheme to lure Nobel winners to UK fails to attract single applicant

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...nners-to-uk-fails-to-attract-single-applicant
I think you forgot the best part of Geim's quote:
The scheme itself is a joke – it cannot be discussed seriously. The government thinks if you pump up UK science with a verbal diarrhoea of optimism – it can somehow become a self-fulfilling prophecy.
That sounds like such an apt description of Brexit as a whole.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Why wouldn't scientists want to live in a country that chose propaganda and xenophobia over facts and reasoning. Couldn't make that up.

Jippy

Staff
Really odd piece in the Tel, containing genuine rhetorical questions like 'where are these sunlit uplands?'. The guy is clearly not a total idiot -though certainly intellectually dishonest: 'As a Europhile who voted Brexit with heavy heart...'-but he seemed to fall for every bs line about Brexit- 'the idea of Brexit exerting its own gravitational pull – dragging taxes down and pushing trade up – is starting to look like a fantasy'.

Was I right to support Brexit? If this is ‘Global Britain’, I’m starting to wonder

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/11/25/right-support-brexit-global-britain-starting-wonder/

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Really odd piece in the Tel, containing genuine rhetorical questions like 'where are these sunlit uplands?'. The guy is clearly not a total idiot -though certainly intellectually dishonest: 'As a Europhile who voted Brexit with heavy heart...'-but he seemed to fall for every bs line about Brexit- 'the idea of Brexit exerting its own gravitational pull – dragging taxes down and pushing trade up – is starting to look like a fantasy'.

Was I right to support Brexit? If this is ‘Global Britain’, I’m starting to wonder

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/11/25/right-support-brexit-global-britain-starting-wonder/
Why would Brexit 'drag taxes down' anyway? And how could that be a good thing for people who don't have it easy? Or would Brexit fix that as well?

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
One plan was to slash taxes, particularly corporation tax, to attract wealth.
Oh, right, yes - the idea was that leaving the EU would give the UK more options on that front, right?

I deeply disagree with the concept, but OK, fair enough then.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Oh, right, yes - the idea was that leaving the EU would give the UK more options on that front, right?

I deeply disagree with the concept, but OK, fair enough then.
I think that I addressed that point years ago because that stance never made sense when the UK weren't close to the tax floors member states agreed upon. It's not as if they were acting like Malta or even Ireland.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I think that I addressed that point years ago because that stance never made sense when the UK weren't close to the tax floors member states agreed upon. It's not as if they were acting like Malta or even Ireland.
Yeah, I was wondering about that when I wrote my post. How much does the EU really regulate on that front? Still, the EU storngly opposed the 'Singapore on the Thames' concept, and I suppose there is something in the EU preventing member states from taking that approach? (Which I'll admit I don't full understand anyway. But I guess the general idea is to attract companies through the shitty race-to-the-bottom approach of slashing corporate taxes and releated regulations...?)

Jippy

Staff
Yeah, I was wondering about that when I wrote my post. How much does the EU really regulate on that front? Still, the EU storngly opposed the 'Singapore on the Thames' concept, and I suppose there is something in the EU preventing member states from taking that approach? (Which I'll admit I don't full understand anyway. But I guess the general idea is to attract companies through the shitty race-to-the-bottom approach of slashing corporate taxes and releated regulations...?)
A large part of it was sabre-rattling to bait the EU and try and wangle concessions no doubt.
That said, the Tories are convinced the whole world is desperate to move to the UK. Despite the failed lorry driver and Nobel laureate visa programmes and half the Tories have overseas holiday homes.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It depends on what you are talking about some things are more technical and finance people will have a better understanding of them. But when it comes to rates it's not that deeply regulated, you have brackets with a floor and a ceiling depending on the type of goods and services. Basically like WTO rules.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

Seems you don't know who Fraser Nelson is. Intellectually dishonest is putting it mildly.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Why wouldn't scientists want to live in a country that chose propaganda and xenophobia over facts and reasoning. Couldn't make that up.
I mean, the bluster from the Tories is nonsensical but this isn't really far off either. Realistically, which are the top countries for Science/Scientists in the world? The USA, China, UK, Germany, Japan and France?

Do all of those countries always choose facts and reasoning over propaganda and xenophobia?

Its a stupid scheme, especially because I'd imagine having nobel laureates, as good as that sounds on paper, isn't really what transforms the Scientific landscape of an institution/ country and there's always going to be less movement during a global pandemic but I don't think the primary reason for the scheme's current status is Brexit.

Shame we'll likely never see JRM thrown out of parliament, the man is a total idiot.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I mean, the bluster from the Tories is nonsensical but this isn't really far off either. Realistically, which are the top countries for Science/Scientists in the world? The USA, China, UK, Germany, Japan and France?

Do all of those countries always choose facts and reasoning over propaganda and xenophobia?

Its a stupid scheme, especially because I'd imagine having nobel laureates, as good as that sounds on paper, isn't really what transforms the Scientific landscape of an institution/ country and there's always going to be less movement during a global pandemic but I don't think the primary reason for the scheme's current status is Brexit.

Shame we'll likely never see JRM thrown out of parliament, the man is a total idiot.
Would be nice if those countries never chose propaganda and xenophobia over facts and reasoning but sadly that's not the case, of course ;) But there's still a certain irony.

“The scheme itself is a joke – it cannot be discussed seriously. The government thinks if you pump up UK science with a verbal diarrhoea of optimism – it can somehow become a self-fulfilling prophecy.
That bears some striking resemblance to the Brexit campaign. And thinking leading scientists (naturally very facts oriented and logical people) would be convinced by hollow phrases and promises is pretty naive.

Besides that, Brexit has of course severely damaged the reputation of the country, especially among Europeans. It's not only that over 50% of the voters chose leave and thus went with the irrational choice, it's also that the government and general political landscape has left the lasting impression during the Brexit negotiations that opportunism and populism are the driving forces behind decisions, not logic or reasoning.

Jericholyte2

We're going to end up having ended the freedom of movement, apart from our special Visa programs which will be present in every single sector! And the Brexiteers will still celebrate!

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Would be nice if those countries never chose propaganda and xenophobia over facts and reasoning but sadly that's not the case, of course ;) But there's still a certain irony.

That bears some striking resemblance to the Brexit campaign. And thinking leading scientists (naturally very facts oriented and logical people) would be convinced by hollow phrases and promises is pretty naive.

Besides that, Brexit has of course severely damaged the reputation of the country, especially among Europeans. It's not only that over 50% of the voters chose leave and thus went with the irrational choice, it's also that the government and general political landscape has left the lasting impression during the Brexit negotiations that opportunism and populism are the driving forces behind decisions, not logic or reasoning.
Right but UK science is genuinely amongst the best in the world. That isn't some verbal bluster, nor will it necessarily attract a German/French/Chinese Nobel laureate but its an undisputed fact.

Of course, that doesn't also mean that the Tories aren't talking nonsense or that they're wrong to link it to some kind of stupid 'points based immigration' they can only have because of Brexit. They could of course have done the same in the EU too.

Scientists don't spend their time going around interacting with the population at large, discussing politics. A scientist who decides to come to Imperial or Cambridge is employed directly by the university and will be funded for their research by the university, so I'm not sure what relevance opportunism will have in their actual day to day life. Same for a scientist at MIT or Sorbonne. I'm going to assume that there isn't much logic or reasoning in Trump's election or Xi's cult of personality or France's lurch to the right with Macron trying to outflank Le Pen on Islam or Japan's essentially one party rule for the last 60 years. India and Russia tend to be pretty high up on these lists too.

I think there's much than enough things to blame on Brexit, as well as more than enough reasons to shy away from moving to the UK, without trying to bring the logic or reasoning of the general populace into play I think. As much as its tempting post Brexit to stick the boot in in every way. :D

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Right but UK science is genuinely amongst the best in the world. That isn't some verbal bluster, nor will it necessarily attract a German/French/Chinese Nobel laureate but its an undisputed fact.

Of course, that doesn't also mean that the Tories aren't talking nonsense or that they're wrong to link it to some kind of stupid 'points based immigration' they can only have because of Brexit. They could of course have done the same in the EU too.

Scientists don't spend their time going around interacting with the population at large, discussing politics. A scientist who decides to come to Imperial or Cambridge is employed directly by the university and will be funded for their research by the university, so I'm not sure what relevance opportunism will have in their actual day to day life. Same for a scientist at MIT or Sorbonne. I'm going to assume that there isn't much logic or reasoning in Trump's election or Xi's cult of personality or France's lurch to the right with Macron trying to outflank Le Pen on Islam or Japan's essentially one party rule for the last 60 years. India and Russia tend to be pretty high up on these lists too.

I think there's much than enough things to blame on Brexit, as well as more than enough reasons to shy away from moving to the UK, without trying to bring the logic or reasoning of the general populace into play I think. As much as its tempting post Brexit to stick the boot in in every way. :D
Anecdotally: I used to study with a guy who went on to do a PhD and some postdoc stuff on fusion energy. There's a pretty good group for that in Oxford, I think it was. Anyway, my mate had to move up Oxford for a year or two which coincided with brexit which meant he had to rush there to get in before the rules changed. Furthermore it made it more difficult to bring his partner. But that's bureaucracy, you can get around that.
The really big issue was that a lot of the money for this fusion research collaboration came from the EU. Which UK institutions can't get their hands on after brexit.

When the money disappears and there's more hassle moving to the UK compared to, say, the Netherlands or Germany, as well as a general air of conflicting values then top (EU) researchers might choose to go elsewhere.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Anecdotally: I used to study with a guy who went on to do a PhD and some postdoc stuff on fusion energy. There's a pretty good group for that in Oxford, I think it was. Anyway, my mate had to move up Oxford for a year or two which coincided with brexit which meant he had to rush there to get in before the rules changed. Furthermore it made it more difficult to bring his partner. But that's bureaucracy, you can get around that.
The really big issue was that a lot of the money for this fusion research collaboration came from the EU. Which UK institutions can't get their hands on after brexit.

When the money disappears and there's more hassle moving to the UK compared to, say, the Netherlands or Germany, as well as a general air of conflicting values then top (EU) researchers might choose to go elsewhere.
All of which I totally agree with and these are all valid, real-world reasons why some researchers from the EU may now think twice about coming here.

The awful home office processes for bringing in your partner would be a factor. Funding would be a factor. Some perception that French/Germans/Americans are ruled by logic and facts while Brits are not is now whats gonna stop a French scientist coming over and certainly not a non-EU scientist.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular

Another issue with this scheme that I didn't think of before but realized now: scientists mostly get the greatest prizes once they are quite advanced in their career. The Nobels are infamous for being given out decades after the fact to people in their 60s-70s-80s, of course, and it's not that bad for all major prizes; but they are general for very senior scientists that are in the final stretch. That's when these scientists are least likely to move: they are probably already at a very highly regarded institution with all kinds of privileges due to their status, will have a well-running research group, likely have well-established social lives, may have kids, and so on.

Long story short: from what I know about scientists, if you want to start a scheme to attract the best and brightest, you go for the people that are getting super high recognition in their early careers - during their postdoc or first appointment. Many won't give care a bit about societal circumstances as long as their work conditions are good. (I.e., reduced access to EU funding isn't popular with them, but Brexit or xenophobia won't deter them.)

Don't Kill Bill

All of which I totally agree with and these are all valid, real-world reasons why some researchers from the EU may now think twice about coming here.

The awful home office processes for bringing in your partner would be a factor. Funding would be a factor. Some perception that French/Germans/Americans are ruled by logic and facts while Brits are not is now whats gonna stop a French scientist coming over and certainly not a non-EU scientist.
Or we live in a bubble of negativity about how the UK is perceived around the world and are probably biased(either way) by recently picking a side over Brexit.

Ipsos did a poll recently of the G20 countries.

Britain ranking joint first with Italy as a place to live.

Second only to the USA for education.

Best European country to do business in although France and Italy were ranked better for culture UK was about 4th.

The picture of a desperate and flailing country post Brexit often portrayed here, isn't showing in this survey data.

The promising note is that perceptions of the UK has risen since Brexit which I found surprising and against the tide of thought in insular British opinion.