Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

Jericholyte2

Go figure

One year on from Brexit, poll finds voters believe it has harmed UK’s interests

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-poll-boris-johnson-lies-b1980372.html
Still some mind boggling numbers who believe (a) Vote Leave didn’t lie, (b) that Brexit was good for the country (c) we’re still on good terms with EU members and (d) wouldn’t rejoin.

Some of the numbers:

51% would vote to rejoin -vs- 49% who wouldn't
51% want a referendum to rejoin -vs- 32% who don't
27% believe Brexit was beneficial to UK's general interests -vs- 38% who didn't
14% that UK's relationship with EU has improved since Brexit -vs- 59% who believe it's worsened
51% believe access to goods and services has become more difficult due to Brexit -vs- 18% who think it's easier
21% believe there's now less red tape -vs- 45% who believe there's more
24% believe Brexit has benefitted the economy (FFS!!!) -vs- 44% who think it's weakened it
24% (presumably the same as above) think that the UK has become more united as a result of Brexit -vs- 41% who believe it's been more divisive
19% (NEARLY 1 in 5 ASKED) believe that their personal finances have improved since Brexit -vs- only 23% who say it's worsened
16% believe that their ability to work / travel abroad has become easier -vs- 28% who believe it's now harder
MORE THAN 1 in 4 (26%) believe Boris told the truth more than he lied during the campaign -vs- 57% who believe the opposite
23% believe our global influence has increased since Brexit -vs- 39% who believe it's reduced

And when asked if leaving was the right decision, it was A TIE at 46% yes, 46% no.

These are some frankly terrifying figures!!!

Last edited:

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Still some mind boggling numbers who believe (a) Vote Leave didn’t lie, (b) that Brexit was good for the country (c) we’re still on good terms with EU members and (d) wouldn’t rejoin.

Some of the numbers:

14% that UK's relationship with EU has improved since Brexit -vs- 59% who believe it's worsened
51% believe access to goods and services has become more difficult due to Brexit -vs- 18% who think it's easier
24% believe Brexit has benefitted the economy (FFS!!!) -vs- 44% who think it's weakened it
24% (presumably the same as above) think that the UK has become more united as a result of Brexit -vs- 41% who believe it's been more divisive
19% (NEARLY 1 in 5 ASKED) believe that their personal finances have improved since Brexit -vs- only 23% who say it's worsened
16% believe that their ability to work / travel abroad has become easier -vs- 28% who believe it's now harder
MORE THAN 1 in 4 (26%) believe Boris told the truth more than he lied during the campaign -vs- 57% who believe the opposite
23% believe our global influence has increased since Brexit -vs- 39% who believe it's reduced

And when asked if leaving was the right decision, it was A TIE at 46% yes, 46% no.

So basically, from this 46%, at least half of them believe that it was the right decision to leave even UK being worse off. I wonder (or not) which would be their main reason why it is the right decision

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff

Some of the numbers:

People see what they want to see, don't like admitting they're wrong and will happily pin the blame on the EU, Covid or whatever anyway. If you're happy that you can get a blue passport, the crown stamp is back on the pint glass and we stuck it to the EU on pounds and ounces, then maybe you're happy. Not to judge, but presumably loads of this cohort won't be reading in depth reports on the problems blighting exporters etc...

I thought some of the additional charges people have faced on Amazon packages from the EU might have cut through a bit more though.

Dante

Average bang

Some of the numbers:

I think the needle will shift a lot post-covid.

When people start travelling to Europe again, they're gonna get pissed off by all the new inconveniences. So far, we've been isolated for reasons other than Brexit. That means it's been easy to rationalise its effects to other contributive causes.

That being said, there will always be a massive element of 'sunk cost' to the general assessment. Many people who voted Leave will never admit to making a mistake even in light of additional evidence. So if I had to guess, I think the number will never drop below 30% until the boomer generation dies off.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I love when they blame it on EU red tape and not on the people who knew the red tape would be there if we left but said nothing.

The red tape exists for a reason, and has done for ages. It shouldn't be a surprise. You don't walk head first into a lamppost and blame the lamppost for breaking your nose.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I love when they blame it on EU red tape and not on the people who knew the red tape would be there if we left but said nothing.

The red tape exists for a reason, and has done for ages. It shouldn't be a surprise. You don't walk head first into a lamppost and blame the lamppost for breaking your nose.
But that involves admitting you were hoodwinked, never gonna happen.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea

Of course you do that. Every sane person would sue the town for placing the lamppost there ;):rolleyes:

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Im just waiting for the “Brexit cost us a lot more than we bargained for, so we are having to sell off the NHS to keep the lights on in the country”

UweBein

Supports
Chelsea
What's with this constant blaming and shaming?
I would have expected a polite "Thank you for the fish"

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
So the GBP is on the highest point of the last 5 years vs EUR. How this translates on the Brexit narrative?

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Not sure how he can lecture the EU about corruption and waste given Track and Trace and the procurement scandals.

DOMINIC SANDBROOK: I once feared Brexit would tear people apart - but after Covid-19 it may be what saves our divided nation
If Scotland voted to leave tomorrow, it would find itself outside both the EU and the United Kingdom, with no viable currency, colossal debts and a hard border from the Solway Firth to the North Sea. By contrast, if we make a success of our future outside the EU, Britishness will seem a much more attractive proposition.

What's more, all successful nations need something to define themselves against. As the years pass, the EU leviathan — with frequent riots and violent protests in Paris and Amsterdam, authoritarian regimes in Budapest and Warsaw, rows about borders and migrants and scandals about corruption and waste — may well become an effective Aunt Sally.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-10380303/I-feared-Brexit-tear-people-apart.html

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
"By contrast, if we make a success of our future outside the EU, Britishness will seem a much more attractive proposition"

And, if I actually had wings I could be a real fecking pigeon.

This lot are either "jam tomorrow" feckheads or they're "that fire burning down that house right now isn't actually a fire burning down that house right now" feckheads.

UweBein

Supports
Chelsea
So the GBP is on the highest point of the last 5 years vs EUR. How this translates on the Brexit narrative?
Yes, this is surprising for me too. Maybe the questionmarks for the Eurozone are bigger than expected? Greece, Italy and Spain are still moving nowhere. Turkish economy could be also a negative influence on Eurozone?
It has to be said, Biris' scheme to get young talents from overseas is economically sound and it works far better than comparable schemes in the EU, which are far too slow.

Last edited:

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Yes, this is surprising for me too. Maybe the questionmarks for the Eurozone are bigger than expected? Greece, Italy and Spain are still moving nowhere. Turkish economy could be also a negative influence on Eurozone?
It has to be said, Biris' scheme to get young talents from overseas is economically sound and it works far better than comparable schemes in the EU, which are far too slow.
We are at 1.20 euros to a pound I think

We were also here at the middle of Feb 2020... and had falled below 1.10 by middle of march

I guess lets see if it can hold this value for a while

Stanley Road

Renaissance Man
Everything in the EU is slow, when you have too many people with different opinions in the meeting room, this alway

UweBein

Supports
Chelsea
Everything in the EU is slow, when you have too many people with different opinions in the meeting room, this alway
But, again, these are the decisions of the countries who can implement these measures at their own will. Nothing to do with the actual EU.

In Germany we have a governmental agency who is responsible for work visas or blue visas (aiming at foreign talent), but 99% of their workload is related to (illegal) immigrants, refugees and migrants who actually live in Germany. But this is a reflection of the political will - so I guess it's not just a coincidence that the process is so lame. The toughest process I have come across is btw in Switzerland, not an EU member as well.

So, this is not down to the EU. The UK could have set up that scheme while in the EU.