Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
More lies. It just seems to be the mantra of the Tories and their partners in crime. Spill out more and more outlandish lies, trump style. Clear as day.

as for 5m, that’s just plucked out of their arse. Not unless they are going to invite Johnny Foreigner to do jobs? Gasp! But but brexit.. the borders!
:lol:That's the top comment.

Scaras
1 HR AGO
5 million new jobs will need 10 million immigrants with their families to do them. before brexit would have been impossible to get from the rest of Europe but now we are able to get millions from Africa. The middle east, India and the far east. Brexit keeps on giving

Tarrou

thats the first time I've seen a Tory say the purpose of Brexit was deregulation

admittedly I don't follow it that closely but found it interesting, as this is what I always thought it was about

Beans

Supports
Neutral
thats the first time I've seen a Tory say the purpose of Brexit was deregulation

admittedly I don't follow it that closely but found it interesting, as this is what I always thought it was about
I always assumed the purpose was to keep the Pound, and keep control over its printing and monetary other policy.

Tarrou

I always assumed the purpose was to keep the Pound, and keep control over its printing and monetary other policy.
why did we need to leave the EU to keep the pound? we were in the EU and kept the pound

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It assumes Sun readers can write. Big call.
They will tweet him or like and post on his insta.........how they lap it up. They Tories have sussed out how easy it really is to whip up the apathetic and uninformed.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
why did we need to leave the EU to keep the pound? we were in the EU and kept the pound
The UK had a unique position, they were not all-the-way in, no?

All the other EU countries gave up their currencies, I figured years ago the UK would eventually back out as joining fully would surely mean losing the Pound.

Or did the EU, or member countries, say they would allow full membership while keeping the Pound?

As I understand it, the EU can't just print the Euro if they want to, the way England and the US can. Or do I have it wrong? London and thus the UK is a financial center, surely the powerful people there benefit from strong relationships with government and the BoE, while they would wield but a slice of that influence in the EU as part of the Euro.

Not my area of expertise, so it was really more my intuition than anything thought out.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS

All the other EU countries gave up their currencies, I figured years ago the UK would eventually back out as joining fully would surely mean losing the Pound.

Or did the EU, or member countries, say they would allow full membership while keeping the Pound?

As I understand it, the EU can't just print the Euro if they want to, the way England and the US can. Or do I have it wrong? London and thus the UK is a financial center, surely the powerful people there benefit from strong relationships with government and the BoE, while they would wield but a slice of that influence in the EU as part of the Euro.

Not my area of expertise, so it was really more my intuition than anything thought out.
There's like eight countries currently in the EU not using the euro.

Tarrou

It's true that the UK wanted to keep control of their inflation policy which was (probably) the main reason for opting out

but as far as I know there was zero risk of losing the pound unless the British government/people decided they wanted to switch

Beans

Supports
Neutral
There's like eight countries currently in the EU not using the euro.
I didn't know it was that many, but surely none as important as the Pound to international finance?

But yes, whatever it was I read decades ago about this was definitely wrong then, thanks.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
It's true that the UK wanted to keep control of their inflation policy which was (probably) the main reason for opting out

but as far as I know there was zero risk of losing the pound unless the British government/people decided they wanted to switch
I expect you're right, this was an article I read decades ago, and probably not from the greatest source now that I think about it. I should read up on the European Union, I didn't realize it started as far back as 1993.

caid

I expect you're right, this was an article I read decades ago, and probably not from the greatest source now that I think about it. I should read up on the European Union, I didn't realize it started as far back as 1993.
: /
Try 1957

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff

The ECB can print more euros if they want, but in reality it's more tricky as they're balancing the needs of multiple economies at differing levels of development, susceptibility to inflation etc... The UK can control it's own monetary policy and could in the EU, having its own unique deal, which included the rebate and veto. We'll lose all that if we rejoin, although I wonder if they might let us keep the pound.

General xenophobia and island mentality were the key drivers, but that's an old debate that I'm not sure anyone has the energy for again, given we're on page 1,752 (!).

stevoc

This is what brexiteers have been reduced to..

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1...ion-trade-germany-update#conversation-wrapper

For anyone who understandably doesn't want to give the Express a click, it's an article with the following headline:

" 'Huge advantage!' Brexit export bonanza about to explode – £500BN surge and 5M jobs"

So how is this to actually be achieved? Well they don't actually say. The article literally just says that if we doubled our exports to match Germany those are the benefits we'd gain. Nothing at all about how this could actually be possible or achievable. Also no explanation of how a country with less than 1.5m unemployed could actually fill 5m jobs.. :lol:
Maybe with BoJo's new Brexit freedoms bill we can get rid of those pesky child labour laws?

Superunknown

Just painful to watch,

Somewhat off-topic: I grew up about a 2 minute walk away from where Question Time was filmed last night. I thought the audience yesterday was one of the best that we've had in ages. They seemed to be well-informed and got straight to the heart of matters with the questions. I did notice that there wasn't an awful lot of clapping or reaction at points though and wondered if maybe they were told not to do this beforehand.

The bit you posted is painful to watch. It's amazing how many of these rent-a-knobs the Tories seem to have in their stocks. It reminds me of that bit in Moon where Sam Rockwell discovers there's an endless supply of him. I imagine there's some sort of storage unit at Tory HQ where a similar sort of thing goes on.

Tucholsky

Supports
VfB Stuttgart
Google is saying different. "The EU was created by the Maastricht Treaty, which entered into force on November 1, 1993." From Britannica
But when it was founded in 1993, how could the United Kingdom join in 1973?
I am just asking questions....

Try 1951

caid

Google is saying different. "The EU was created by the Maastricht Treaty, which entered into force on November 1, 1993." From Britannica
It was created after the 2nd world war. Ireland joined in the 70's. Its been around for a lot, lot longer.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
But when it was founded in 1993, how could the United Kingdom join in 1973?
I am just asking questions....

Try 1951
Well we were discussing the Euro, which was created with the "European Union". But I'll admit they taught me nothing about the European Economic Community in grade school or college.

caid

But under a different name, without a unified government or currency, right?
It still isn't a unified government and currency. Theres been a parliament since the 50's. The euro was introduced at the end of the 90's.
Its closer to Nato or the UN than the United States

Zlatattack

My local chippy says he's running out of mushy peas soon and branded bags.

My workplace has IT equipment stuck in Europe.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
The EU has developed very gradually, from a rather modest sort of pact that served partly to intertwine the economies of Germany and France (plus Italy, the Netherlands, Belgium, and Luxembourg) to make a new war an even more stupid idea (the European Coal and Steel Community founded in 1952), to where we are now. It's been a gradual development all the way through. The 1992 Maastricht Treaty, when the organization was renamed to European Union, was a relatively important moment in that, but not a key or pivotal point; just somewhat more important among the many steps along the way.

I don't think the UK would have had to give up its pound to remain in the EU in the foreseeable future. The UK has always been a reluctant partner, and a bit of a pain really, but the other EU members have always been keen on keeping the UK onboard and have granted it various privileges over the years. Keeping the pound isn't really one of those, since other countries were also allowed to reject the euro; but if ever the EU would have taken a harder stance towards its members on adopting the euro, I think the UK would have been able to continue being an exception for a while still.

One problem with the UK's EU membership is that there has always been significant and vocal opposition to that within the UK, and a strong propaganda campaign. There is hence a lot of misinformation about the EU among the UK population, which I think partly explains why the Brexit vote went the way it did - and might even explain some of your misunderstandings here.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It's a bit complicated. The European Union is the name after the Maastricht treaty which is for all intent and purpose mainly a consolidation of dozens of previous treaties. Before that the EU was known as the EC(European Communities) because the treaties that formed it's basis are called communities. The founding treaty is the Treaty of Rome in 1957.

Peter van der Gea

Likes Pineapple on well done Steak
It's a bit complicated. The European Union is the name after the Maastricht treaty which is for all intent and purpose mainly a consolidation of dozens of previous treaties. Before that the EU was known as the EC(European Communities) because the treaties that formed it's basis are called communities. The founding treaty is the Treaty of Rome in 1957.
I'm fairly sure it was EEC, the European Economic Community.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I'm fairly sure it was EEC, the European Economic Community.
No, it is EC(European Communities). The first community was the ECSC in 1952, then in 1957 the treaty of Rome created the EEC and the EAEC. Those are the European communities.

Peter van der Gea

No, it is EC(European Communities). The first community was the ECSC in 1952, then in 1957 the treaty of Rome created the EEC and the EAEC. Those are the European communities.
My economics degree was almost 20 years ago, so I'm blaming old age (it's my 40th birthday today)

Peter van der Gea

Happy birthday - hope you're getting to have that favorite meal of yours!

;)
Cheers mate!

No overcooked meat and fruit for me, firstly because its nasty and secondly because I broke my wrist this morning, so I couldn't cook if I wanted to!

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Cheers mate!

No overcooked meat and fruit for me, firstly because its nasty and secondly because I broke my wrist this morning, so I couldn't cook if I wanted to!
Oh that sucks... Good luck!

See, Brexit doesn't help anyone. Aaaand we're back on topic.