Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
The EU as an institution played its part though. It is guilty of massive overreach and arrogance. The UK signed up for a common market not a political union which is now heading towards a superstate.

The EU has ignored democracy too many times and thought it was untouchable. It shoulders a good deal of the blame IMO.
We may have signed up for a common market, but we knew what it would become. Winston Churchill wanted a United States of Europe for the exact reasons the EU appeared (whether or not he wanted us in it).

Former PM Edward Heath, the conservative prime minister who took us into the EU, says this:

I knew Winston Churchill, I worked with him, I stayed with him at his home at Chartwell and I have read his speeches many times. I can assure you that Winston Churchill was no Euro-sceptic. Can anyone seriously imagine any Euro-sceptic today saying, as Churchill did in his renowned Zurich speech 50 years ago, that our task "is to re-create the European Family, or as much of it as we can, and provide it with a structure under which it can dwell in peace, in safety and in freedom. We must build a kind of United States of Europe"? He looked to Britain, with others, to create it and be with it.

I readily accept that at that time Churchill did not envisage Britain being a full member of this united Europe, but in gleefully seizing upon this point, Euro-sceptics have misunderstood or misrepresented the nature of Churchill's attitude to full British participation in Europe. This reluctance was based on circumstance; it was not opposition based on principle. And the circumstances have changed in such a way that I am sure Churchill would now favour a policy that enabled Britain to be at the heart of the European Union.

What is certain is that Churchill never entertained any of the objections that today's Eurosceptics hold to British participation in a united Europe. In the House of Commons debate on the Schuman Plan in June 1950, Churchill asserted: "The whole movement of the world is towards an interdependence of nations. We feel all around us the belief that it is our best hope, if independent, individual sovereignty is sacrosanct and inviolable, how is it that we are wedded to a world organisation?... How is it that we have undertaken this immense obligation for the defence of Western Europe...? It can only be justified and even tolerated because on either side of the Atlantic it is felt that interdependence is part of our faith and the means of our salvation."

It would, indeed, have been odd for Churchill to have said otherwise, for this was the same man who in June 1940, as France was succumbing to German invasion, wrote, published and proposed, with the full support of his War Cabinet, the Declaration of Union between Great Britain and France, stating: "The two governments declare that France and Great Britain shall no longer be two nations, but one Franco-British Union. The constitution of the Union will provide for joint organs of defence, foreign, financial and economic policies. Every citizen of France will enjoy immediately citizenship of Great Britain; every British subject will become a citizen of France." Unfortunately the French were being overwhelmed by the Germans and could not respond to his proposal.
http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/a-euro-sceptic-churchill-never-1365239.html

People knew exactly what we were signing up for.

The full speech is here (I think)
There is a remedy which, if it were generally and spontaneously adopted, would as if by a miracle transform the whole scene, and would in a few years make all Europe, or the greater part of it, as free and as happy as Switzerland is today.

What is this sovereign remedy?

It is to re-create the European Family, or as much of it as we can, and provide it with a structure under which it can dwell in peace, in safety and in freedom.

We must build a kind of United States of Europe.

In this way only will hundreds of millions of toilers be able to regain the simple joys and hopes which make life worth living.
http://www.churchill-society-london.org.uk/astonish.html

Last edited:

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Some moron

I got so angry with the nonsense on Facebook this morning that I had to download an app that allows me to block myself from Facebook for a period of time.
Yeah, everyone up in arms becoming the armchair politician.

Grib

The more I think about this the angrier I get. Should never have left this vote to the British public. The last time they left such an important vote to the British public, Jordan Henderson ended up on the cover of Fifa :mad:
Don't forget about that fecking boat

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
i think it's fairly clear that anyone on the leave side, either campaigning or voting, has no idea of where we go now and little fecking clue of any consequence of this. the finger pointing and back tracking has already started and politicians are all just jostling for position within their parties rather than knuckling down and trying to sort the mess.

Classical Mechanic

The EU are guilty of overreaching though.

As an example they tried to force Norway to implement a EU safety and production policy for our oil&gas sector. This policy was more slack than our own and gave the Oil companies more carte blanche to flush chemicals used in the filtration and seperation process on the rigs right out in the sea. We gently told them to go feck themselves, essentially telling them that we know a bit more about rigs and oil production in vulnerable offshore areas than the bureacrats in Brussel.

Likewise they have tried to force us to implement bigger quotas for boats from other countries to fish cod in Norway, which would either force us to reduce the quotas given our own fisheries, or essentially allow overfishing. Once again we gently told them to feck themselves, the North sea cod is our resource, and ours to regulate as we want.
Not to mention declaring democratic referendums null and void when they didn't fall in the EU's favour. And the small matter of The EU (Germany) essentially declaring a democratically elected government in Greece illegitimate.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
The EU as an institution played its part though. It is guilty of massive overreach and arrogance. The UK signed up for a common market not a political union which is now heading towards a superstate.

The EU has ignored democracy too many times and thought it was untouchable. It shoulders a good deal of the blame IMO.
*The EU* is what what the leaders of their nations decide it to be. There is no weird uncontrollable Brussels institution running wild. That is pure Thatcher brainwash, and nothing else.
And yeah, the big old dream of the common free market, without offering anything in exchange. The idea of taketh all, giveth nothing. Now you only have to explain why all the countries with smaller/weaker economies should agree to it.
There is a reason why Poland, for example, is such a big receiver of EU funding. It's compensation for allowing strong economies unrestricted access.
We as germans pay a lot more into the EU as you brits ever did. But every german with at least an additional 3rd working braincell knows it's absolutely worth it.
In secrecy, Cameron knew that all too well. Didn't stop him from demonizing the big devil in Brussels for years, claiming EU responsibility for fecking up what he and his goons fecked up in reality. Win-win, or? Aren't we soooo clever? *selftaps shoulders*
After a while he has realized in doing so he created a monster he couldn't master. And when he finally finds himself in a position where he has actually to defend the EU as overall good thing it is, nobody -what a surprise- believes him.
You reap what you saw at its finest.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
So how realistic is it that the average British citizen will feel this negatively in their pockets? What are the chances of Britain actually profiting from this?

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Not to mention declaring democratic referendums null and void when they didn't fall in the EU's favour. And the small matter of The EU (Germany) essentially declaring a democratically elected government in Greece illegitimate.
Germany benefits the most from the EU. Their economy and currency were getting so strong that they had heavy inflation and therefore German products became more expensive for other countries to purchase, and in the end hurting German exports. With the euro and common monetary policies this becomes less prevalent.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

You are not going to build a common market with every country following its own set of rules.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
So how realistic is it that the average British citizen will feel this negatively in their pockets? What are the chances of Britain actually profiting from this?
You will get your trade agreement. You are too big an economy and too integral part of the European marketplace not to. Right now there is a lot of noise and scaremongering from the EU since they want to keep other countries from going down the EXIT route.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Scottish independence referendum won't be as straightforward. Last time even Scottish nationalists wanted to keep UK Pound Sterling as its currency, but this time it won't be easy to decide between Euros and Pound, both of which seem set to be in-stable for some time.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Scottish independence referendum won't be as straightforward. Last time even Scottish nationalists wanted to keep UK Pound Sterling as its currency, but this time it won't be easy to decide between Euros and Pound, both of which seem set to be in-stable for some time.
We might be trading haggis and yorkshire puds in the future. Feck knows how bad it will turn out. Apparently sterling is only actually 3% lower against the USD than it was last Friday, such has been the misplaced rally earlier in the week and the FTSE is up over the same timeframe.

JustFootballFan

Thinks Balotelli & Pogba look the same
Supports
Liverpool
Same for Ireland. Good luck to both of them.

Sad day this, it will spark the end of the UK. It's going to end up being just England and Wales. :(
Andy Murrray gone. UK back to Slam-less status for 80 years. :nervous:

Revan

Assumptionman
According to pretty much every expert, every official head of state, and every big company, somewhere between null and zero percent.

Revan

Assumptionman
We might be trading haggis and yorkshire puds in the future. Feck knows how bad it will turn out. Apparently sterling is only actually 3% lower against the USD than it was last Friday, such has been the misplaced rally earlier in the week and the FTSE is up over the same timeframe.
That might be because sterling became stronger in the last few days when it looked that 'Remain' will win.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
I'm sure this has been joked about umpteen times, but man, two of the worlds super powers are soon to be ran by Boris Johnson & Donald Trump. What a time to be alive. Two Ihni binni dimi diniwiny anitaime racists who'll ruin both countries.

Joking (kinda) aside, stupid fecking Brits.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
The EU are guilty of overreaching though.

As an example they tried to force Norway to implement a EU safety and production policy for our oil&gas sector. This policy was more slack than our own and gave the Oil companies more carte blanche to flush chemicals used in the filtration and seperation process on the rigs right out in the sea. We gently told them to go feck themselves, essentially telling them that we know a bit more about rigs and oil production in vulnerable offshore areas than the bureacrats in Brussel.
The EU is about unified standards within its boundaries. Most of the times, this is good thing. It can get problematic whenever a specific standard is higher than what the EU has agreed on.
In your specific example, it's probably a lobbying push from BP, Shell & Total. You don't lose your autonomy over your national standards, if they are higher, though.
You could have told them to feck off, even if you were already a full member.
As an example, our parliament just decided on a nationwide ban for shalegas and other unconventional fracking methods, the energy companies are not amused...

Likewise they have tried to force us to implement bigger quotas for boats from other countries to fish cod in Norway, which would either force us to reduce the quotas given our own fisheries, or essentially allow overfishing. Once again we gently told them to feck themselves, the North sea cod is our resource, and ours to regulate as we want.
Probably the UK, France, Portugal and Spain behind it. The EU isn't a monolith, and every member of course tries to push its own agenda as far as possible.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
I'm sure this has been joked about umpteen times, but man, two of the worlds super powers are soon to be ran by Boris Johnson & Donald Trump. What a time to be alive. Two Ihni binni dimi diniwiny anitaime racists who'll ruin both countries.

Trump wont win.....I would have said until last night.

Classical Mechanic

Boris was going to run this country regardless of the result. Cameron was done this year anyway.

Donald Trump: "Just arrived in Scotland. Place is going wild over the vote. They took their country back, just like we will take America back. No games!"

bucky

Has this been posted?

Siorac

Chalk up a victory for ill-education and ignorance, for nationalism (and all the racist/far right elements than love nationalism), for divisiveness, fragmentation and scape-goating.

The dumb fecks - though they realise it not - have just voted for the breakup of the UK, for the renewal of terrorism and conflict in Northern Ireland, for the encouragements of far-right groupings across Europe, and for the possible longer-term prospect of the collapse of the key institution - the EU - that was originally and mainly brought into being to make impossible ever again the outbreak of war within Europe.
I never thought I would type these words but here it goes.

Glaston, I fully agree with you.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
Independence referendums on the cards for Scotland and Northern Ireland now. How bad is the £ doing? I still cant believe you lot. First Scotland chicken out now Britain pulls out.
McGuinness has called for a referendum for a United Ireland.

Duafc

Village Lemon
Scottish Ref will go through with a landslide, they'll take their oil away and join the Euro. fecking Sterling even further you would think.

In NI I'm not sure if a referendum would vote to leave, though you really can't imagine what the idiots in power here will campaign for or against, a united Ireland or remain vote I would imagine because NI can not exist on its own, it's populous wouldn't know what to do with themselves.

What a complete and utter shit show.

#control?

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
i think it's fairly clear that anyone on the leave side, either campaigning or voting, has no idea of where we go now and little fecking clue of any consequence of this. the finger pointing and back tracking has already started and politicians are all just jostling for position within their parties rather than knuckling down and trying to sort the mess.
The worst part is it was pretty fecking clear before the vote they had no plan and yet everyone still voted for it.

Keenst

Predictably, the Chinese have held this up as another example of how western democracy doesn't work:

In classic fashion, the Global Times has swooped in to offer opinion aplenty on the #Brexit, with this editorial from Wang Yiwei, published this morning, lamenting the referendum and Western-style democracy in general.

"Democracy is at its roots the achievement of human political civilization, but today it's become a game to be played," he writes."This is a tragedy."

Wang goes on to say that the vote proves China is going about things the right way, saying: "In terms of productivity, China has won; in terms of resilience, China will win."

Wang, a professor of international relations at Renmin University of China, also criticizes the EU's constant tendency towards ballots and referendums, arguing that they lead to populist hijacking:

Europe has been playing the 'referendum' game, which proves that democracy is hijacked by nationalism and populism, showing more and more negative effects. Under the negative impact of globalization, democracy lacks institutional resilience.

He argues that the referendum will ultimately lead "people [to] lose faith in democracy" and that "democracy's waywardness makes it suspect."

JustFootballFan

Thinks Balotelli & Pogba look the same
Supports
Liverpool
Has this been posted?

Well it´s America. All Trump voters know about Scotland is that it is reigned by Mel Gibson, so context and details like the actual vote are negligible.

bucky

Well it´s America. All Trump voters know about Scotland is that it is reigned by Mel Gibson, so context and details like the actual vote are negligible.
I thought it summed his whole presidential campaign up.